Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 03-26-2009, 06:10 PM
PetFinder Buddy

monkee94 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to monkee94
Default Re: Dog Food

oh ok...do you have any recommendations for kibbles for doberman/mongrel puppies and adults?
Old 03-27-2009, 02:59 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkee94 View Post
oh ok...do you have any recommendations for kibbles for doberman/mongrel puppies and adults?
Now local pet shop or supermarket carry commercial dog food have many range, from lower to higher price. First thing you need to know is which ingredients are inside the bag and you think it suitable for your dog before your select. Pet foods must meet the AAFCO standard in order to be labelled nutritionally complete and balanced.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:20 AM
PetFinder Guru

acsyen is on a distinguished road

Check on this yourself.. www.dogfoodanalysis.com
Old 03-27-2009, 11:17 AM
PetFinder Buddy

OK thanks for the tips
Old 04-04-2009, 02:15 PM
PetFinder Moderator

hope you get selected the right dog food, let you dog tell you how good the food, not the salesman.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Animal Lover

DoggyDiva is on a distinguished road

I've been looking up dog nutrition a lot recently as i am fed up with some of the junk that is in a lot of the kibble (dry food) at the moment.

From what i have learned you can get a basic idea of how good a food is by looking at the first 5 ingredients listed. The first ingredient should be a meat or meat meal. After that you preferably don't want to see 3 grain based items such as wheat, oat etc etc as then the content of grain is higher than meat (2 or 3 more meat products are preferable).

Also you want to stay away from any food that has corn (or corn products) anywhere in the ingredients as corn is one of the top causes of allergies in dogs. Some people also believe Soybean products cause many allergies in dogs (although i don't think a direct connection has been proven as yet, better safe than sorry ).

Finally it is generally thought best to stay away from products with 'by-product' on unspecific animal content in them (such as lamb by-product meal or animal fat) as they are seen to contain very inconsistent ingredients because of the multiple sources they come from. Also animal by-product is much cheaper than real meat.

So you really want to stay away form a food that has Ground Whole Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Rice, Corn Meal, Animal Fat as the top 5 ingredients.

A food that has Lamb meal, Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Meal, Chicken fat as the first 5 ingredients probably isn't the greatest food in the world either.

Finally a food containing chicken meal, turkey meal, lamb, potatoes, peas, chicken fat as the top 5 should be pretty decent.

I think there are a lot of other factors that go into what makes a good food vs a bad food, also very important is protein content but i haven't really got that far into my research as yet.

As for raw food diets, they can be much much much better for dogs than any kibble could ever be, but i think it is a lot of work to formulate a sufficiently balanced diet at home making it impractical for most people.

Either way i think most information you would need to know about nutrition for dogs can be found online, its just sometimes hard to tell what is factual and what is someone trying to sell something.

If i have made any errors in what i said, please correct me as i am very interested in learning as much as i can about dog nutrition and don't want to have started off with the completely wrong idea .

I'm off to read the links you posted on nutrition now and thanks also for the authors names (study study study, like being back in college ).
Old 04-09-2009, 11:12 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Hey I heard from Samantha85 a fosterer in PetFinders the big no no for dog foods are Bil-Jac and Nikki(powdered dog milk thingy) Besides that you should also avoid food made in Thailand. She's currently feeding a puppy she rescued with Eukenuba and he's doing great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyDiva View Post
I've been looking up dog nutrition a lot recently as i am fed up with some of the junk that is in a lot of the kibble (dry food) at the moment.

From what i have learned you can get a basic idea of how good a food is by looking at the first 5 ingredients listed. The first ingredient should be a meat or meat meal. After that you preferably don't want to see 3 grain based items such as wheat, oat etc etc as then the content of grain is higher than meat (2 or 3 more meat products are preferable).

Also you want to stay away from any food that has corn (or corn products) anywhere in the ingredients as corn is one of the top causes of allergies in dogs. Some people also believe Soybean products cause many allergies in dogs (although i don't think a direct connection has been proven as yet, better safe than sorry ).

Finally it is generally thought best to stay away from products with 'by-product' on unspecific animal content in them (such as lamb by-product meal or animal fat) as they are seen to contain very inconsistent ingredients because of the multiple sources they come from. Also animal by-product is much cheaper than real meat.

So you really want to stay away form a food that has Ground Whole Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Rice, Corn Meal, Animal Fat as the top 5 ingredients.

A food that has Lamb meal, Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Meal, Chicken fat as the first 5 ingredients probably isn't the greatest food in the world either.

Finally a food containing chicken meal, turkey meal, lamb, potatoes, peas, chicken fat as the top 5 should be pretty decent.

I think there are a lot of other factors that go into what makes a good food vs a bad food, also very important is protein content but i haven't really got that far into my research as yet.

As for raw food diets, they can be much much much better for dogs than any kibble could ever be, but i think it is a lot of work to formulate a sufficiently balanced diet at home making it impractical for most people.

Either way i think most information you would need to know about nutrition for dogs can be found online, its just sometimes hard to tell what is factual and what is someone trying to sell something.

If i have made any errors in what i said, please correct me as i am very interested in learning as much as i can about dog nutrition and don't want to have started off with the completely wrong idea .

I'm off to read the links you posted on nutrition now and thanks also for the authors names (study study study, like being back in college ).
Old 04-09-2009, 11:20 AM
PetFinder Moderator

Have any problem pet food made in Thailand? some brand also from thailand, what the problem of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkee94 View Post
Hey I heard from Samantha85 a fosterer in PetFinders the big no no for dog foods are Bil-Jac and Nikki(powdered dog milk thingy) Besides that you should also avoid food made in Thailand. She's currently feeding a puppy she rescued with Eukenuba and he's doing great!

Old 04-16-2009, 05:50 PM
PetFinder Guru

nivek is on a distinguished road

Stick with Orijen, EVO, Innova, Natural Balance and you can't go wrong :)
Old 04-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Vivien Wuz Ere

Location: Earth - where every human beings have to live together with animals
vivienlpl is on a distinguished road

yeah there are kind of a lot of branded dog food from thailand...

why ban?
Old 04-16-2009, 08:53 PM
PetFinder Guru

nivek is on a distinguished road

Because a lot of these cheap type of kibbles contain too much corn and grain which are not the natural diet of dogs, in return causing allergy, skin problem etc etc.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:11 PM
PetFinder Moderator

EVO, Innova, Only 2 of 4 consider great quality pet food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nivek View Post
Stick with Orijen, EVO, Innova, Natural Balance and you can't go wrong :)

Old 04-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Animal Lover

weetingtan is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I am having a MS named Heidi. She is 3 months old. I had feed her with vege (cabbage and broccoli) mixing with her puppy's food. Do you think is healthy? should i gave her separately or mix it together? Can i also gave her other vege like tomato, carrot, potato and etc? Please advice. I think is quite heathy but need your advice because im still new in taking care of puppy.

Please advice.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:43 AM
PetFinder Moderator

Follow the AAFCO feeding protocols, everything will going fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weetingtan View Post
Hi all,

I am having a MS named Heidi. She is 3 months old. I had feed her with vege (cabbage and broccoli) mixing with her puppy's food. Do you think is healthy? should i gave her separately or mix it together? Can i also gave her other vege like tomato, carrot, potato and etc? Please advice. I think is quite heathy but need your advice because im still new in taking care of puppy.

Please advice.

Thanks.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Animal Lover

DoggyDiva is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't advise to feed a puppy anything except a good quality dog food. As puppies grow quickly they need a lot of protein (AAFCO nutrition profiles state that puppy food should contain 22% protein, on Dry Mass basis). So during the growing and maturing time you don't really want to be filling then up with vege that has very few of the building blocks pups need to grow healthily. Giving veg as an occasional treat wouldn't hurt i just wouldn't suggest it every day for every meal.

However once she reaches 1 or 2year old i think it would be great to add a little veg to her diet. Any dog should still be fed mostly dog food (or a home prepared equivalent that has been properly balanced and planned by a nutritionist), but there are many studies that show a little veg has great health benefits to dogs. For example broccoli has shown to have anti-carcinogens that help ward off cancer in both humans and dogs. Also a lot of holistic dog foods are using potato instead of the usual fillers (oats, rice and worst of all corn etc.) so that would be fine too. I think some dogs have problems with tomatoes so might be wise to stay away from them.

Of course if you are going to be feeding non-dog food to your pup you need to remember the big no no foods that are lethaly poisonous to many dogs. The main ones are Onions, Chocolate, Grapes/Raisins and Garlic. Also stay well away from Corn and Soybean as they are high up on the allergies list for dogs.

Hope that is all helpful, there are also loads of doggy cooking recipes around if you feel like getting more creative, just sometime you need to use some common sense and doggy knowledge to figure out which ones really are good for your dog and which are just junk food (just the same as with dry kibble/wet dog foods).