Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

View Poll Results: Which brand you (your pets) like to eat...
Vetmaster 1 4.55%
Blackwood 10 45.45%
Orijen 3 13.64%
Royal canin 12 54.55%
Science diet 3 13.64%
Eagle pack 0 0%
Others (specify which brand - reply in post) 5 22.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2008, 12:37 AM
Animal Lover

eena is on a distinguished road
Default Picky Eaters!! What does your cats eat?

Hey guys, I'm kinda new on this forum, to mods, sorry if my post are in the wrong section ya...My cats are pretty picky eaters... Kucing korang makan aper yek? Penatla kalau nak beli semua brand kasi diaorang makan... Tell me what your pets like to eat!!

Last edited by eena; 09-13-2008 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:43 AM
Animal Lover

Default Re: Picky Eaters!! What does your cats eat?

Brand lain yang pernah try - Iams, smartheart, fussy cat... tapi sket sket jer la...
Old 09-13-2008, 02:31 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

I feed my cats Acana. Its manufactured by the same company that produces orijen. In the past i fed my cats iams, hill's science diet, and royal canin. I stopped after reading articles on the PETA website and other animal rights websites about cruel animal tests carried out by these manufacturers in their laboratories. Made me sick.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:43 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Chitam is on a distinguished road

Right now... my kids likes to eat Blackwood, before this, I usually fed them with royal canin, tapi masalah nyer pulak... tak boleh tinggalkan sehari.. sbb nanti semut akan makan makanan tu... (might be Royal canin had a good smell).. after that change to Iams.. but my kids didn't like it at all!!!... makan pun sikit2 jerr.... then change to sciens plan... once again had the same problem with Royal canin... after that... found "Old Kampung"... one of the forumer introduce to me Blackwood... and until now... my kids like to eat them... dan sekarang diorang semua da gemuk!!! Poo poo pun tak busuk.. eating habit... jgn cakap laa... mmg kuat makan... dan bley save budget sbb murah... lagi pun... blackwood nih lambat masuk angin... so tak kisah kalo ditinggalkan seharian...
Tiger, Kabu & Gemuk - Domestic Medium Hair
Old 09-13-2008, 02:38 PM
.:: Baby, I dig you! ::.

Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia, World of Animal Lurve...
BabyZee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BabyZee

Quote:
Originally Posted by eena View Post
Hey guys, I'm kinda new on this forum, to mods, sorry if my post are in the wrong section ya...My cats are pretty picky eaters... Kucing korang makan aper yek? Penatla kalau nak beli semua brand kasi diaorang makan... Tell me what your pets like to eat!!
elow eena..
welcome to petfinder...
neway you did post this thread in the wrong section but it's ok, you're a newbie after all...
i would ask ezer or andy, our admin, to help move this under the pet shops and products section....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
I feed my cats Acana. Its manufactured by the same company that produces orijen. In the past i fed my cats iams, hill's science diet, and royal canin. I stopped after reading articles on the PETA website and other animal rights websites about cruel animal tests carried out by these manufacturers in their laboratories. Made me sick.
lynielime, i'm surfing peta's website now but i couldn't find the article on royal canin's cruelty, i only found iams...
but really wanted to know about the royal canin's cruelty if there are any cause i'm quite a royal canin fan....

for me currently i'm giving my babies blackwood as the price of royal canin increased quite high...
my babies love royal canin as it have the yummy smell and taste i guess and it also give my babies nice shiny furs adn also their poo poo not that smelly...
but now, i have to change it so the change to blackwood so far it's ok, my babies love it too and the poo also ok and making them fatter too...
just waiting the effect on my babies furs...

i did tried iams once cause my bf wrongly bought the cat food,huhu..
i dislike it very much as my babies didn't like it too...heh..
no changes in anything cause my babies fur still shed alot when they were eating iams...
some more like lynielime posted, i also know about iams cruelty so started to ban iams after that...

Last edited by BabyZee; 09-13-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:47 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyZee View Post
elow eena..
welcome to petfinder...
neway you did post this thread in the wrong section but it's ok, you're a newbie after all...
i would ask ezer or andy, our admin, to help move this under the pet shops and products section....

lynielime, i'm surfing peta's website now but i couldn't find the article on royal canin's cruelty, i only found iams...
but really wanted to know about the royal canin's cruelty if there are any cause i'm quite a royal canin fan....

for me currently i'm giving my babies blackwood as the price of royal canin increased quite high...
my babies love royal canin as it have the yummy smell and taste i guess and it also give my babies nice shiny furs adn also their poo poo not that smelly...
but now, i have to change it so the change to blackwood so far it's ok, my babies love it too and the poo also ok and making them fatter too...
just waiting the effect on my babies furs...

i did tried iams once cause my bf wrongly bought the cat food,huhu..
i dislike it very much as my babies didn't like it too...heh..
no changes in anything cause my babies fur still shed alot when they were eating iams...
some more like lynielime posted, i also know about iams cruelty so started to ban iams after that...
Hi! Do a google or yahoo search using these key words: pet food companies that conduct animal tests, animal testing and pet food, inhumane or cruel animal tests, vivisection and pet food. Hill's science diet and royal canin are owned by procter & gamble and colgate palmolive. These companies are the worst animal abusers. I'll start a new thread later and put the info I've found about animal testers. I don't use any of their products.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:01 PM
.:: Baby, I dig you! ::.

Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia, World of Animal Lurve...
BabyZee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BabyZee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
Hi! Do a google or yahoo search using these key words: pet food companies that conduct animal tests, animal testing and pet food, inhumane or cruel animal tests, vivisection and pet food. Hill's science diet and royal canin are owned by procter & gamble and colgate palmolive. These companies are the worst animal abusers. I'll start a new thread later and put the info I've found about animal testers. I don't use any of their products.
i'm still surfing peta's website, got a lot of infos from there..

neway i didn't know procter&gamble and colgate do tests on animals, that's cruel...
i think i hardly use their stuff as i prefer darlie...hehe..

i'll be waiting for the new thread lynielime, just now was also thinking to do the thread on animals testing too much infos to type...
well i guest you'll put the thread in the hall of shame section right?
will wait for that....
Old 09-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road

Hi

since we're on the subject of picky eaters - have you ever wonder why your cat is a picky eater? is this label truly well-justified and well-deserved by your cat or is it something we just put on our cat to justify our non-effort or lack of interest in finding out why our best beloved companion is not eating well or only eat certain food?

cats all eat by smell and some cat food are very "tasty" in terms of smell - so tasty in fact i was tempted on a few occasions to take a bite myself too ...but the ingredients used may not be good for your cat and your cat will soon learn this after eating it - hence it will learn to associate the "taste/smell" of certain food with not feeling good such as "watery poo", "stomachache", "general feeling of unwellness.

unlike humans who have managed to supress or kill their own ability to listen to their bodies, cats still do listen to their body or rather they will know when certain food makes them feel bad ...and most of the time, it's not the food but what ingredients that goes inside it.

your reply : but my cat didn't really tell me that it's not good! it's not as if it became really sick - i didn't see anything wrong with it, only that the cat were picky and didn't want to eat it...

answer : your cat did but you weren't really listening or rather, you weren't observing, or even if you did, you didn't bother to explore further (common malaise among the general population of pet owners in malaysia, so you don't have to feel bad about it being a carrier of this malaise).

i'm quite amazed, really, at the wholesale ignorance or apathetic attitude of many owners of companion animals (let's keep it to cats and dogs) towards the nutritional needs of their animals

we don't need a rocket science degree to learn about animal nutritional needs and we don't need to reinvent the wheel i.e. do all the research ourselves - in this age of information technology, all we need to do is to ask, or rather, reach out to the internet or even printed materials (like books you know) in order to glean the information we need. as easy as abc..really. and yet lots of people moaned and groaned about the difficulty of getting their pets to eat properly, of having to constantly clean up smell poo/urine, or why is their companion animal constantly sick, etc, etc, etc.

true, not all the information out there are accurate or correct, but there's something called "informed decision" and this means after you have obtained as much information as you required, you're in a position to make better judgement or decision...see, easy.

or perhaps our society is largely still of "herd mentality", apa orang lain buat, saya ikut, apa dia bagi korang punye kucing makan saya pun ikut, apa advertisement kata baik, saya terima buta-buta aje. or "apa leh ni si ashley buat kacau, kucing aje...kucing liar pun makan makanan yg tak elok tak mati pun dia...

some would say, not all of us have the choice of financial freedom (got money) to pick and choose what sort of "expensive" food to give to our companion animal. fair enough. costs does matter and times are tough. but this also begets the other question : ever do the math?

good quality food with appropriate ingredients may cost more than the usual brands you used but compare this against 1) the cost of total amount of food you spent on your cat using your current favourite brand a month + 2) the cost of vitamins and supplements to either make your cat healthier or to correct some sort of ever-present health-related condition i.e. skin/fur/dental/smelly poo related + 3) litter-cleaning related cost (cost of material including cost of your time in trying to clean up the poo and the cost aversion to cleaning up poo plus the whatnots restriction that you place on your cat in order to try to get it not to make smelly poo + the cost of having your house smell like an oxidation pond ) + 4) veterinary costs to cure your babies of the current illness or health-related issues of the month (*gasp* you don't even bother to take your beloved baby to the vet in hope that it will get over whatever is making it sick???!!) + 5) cost of grooming and grooming products in the hope that it'd make our cats look "beautiful and more healtier"??

there's a more simpler equation for the above : penny wise but pound foolish

i know i'm going to get a lot of flak for this but i don't mind...go ahead, it this will get people to think more and ask more question, then i will glad take all the brickbats that's hurled in my direction...besides i'm used to getting brickbats - on-the-job training, very effective

have a good weekend
Old 09-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Banned

hi eena

just to clarify - my post was not solely targeted at you but i do really want to commend you to start the thread

i just want people to sit up and notice and start thinking ...and start finding out...

thanks so much for starting this thread

to reply the poll (i only saw it after i posted my reply),

besides orijen, i used natural balance allery formula (duck and green pea) ingredient for my anna. she has IBS that due to inappropriate ingredients in other brands of cat food. i guess she's cat with sensitive stomach (and i do empthaise with her as i'm one of the human with sensitive stomach and IBS too) and it didn't do her good to force her to eat other food that's not appropriate for her. so far she's doing well on this new allergy formula. she's still on the 1st pack i bought but already i can see a difference - she eats more, she's eats on her volition and doesn't act or look as if we were going to torture her with horrible food, her bowel movement/elimination has become normal (this is a very positive sign indeed), she is starting to put on weight and starting to fill up and starting to grow more muscles mass, she's more active and health and alert, and her fur has really became more beautiful and i don't need to feed her extra supplements.

as difficult it may be for us to grasp, cats do not need grain or carbohydrates in their diet as they are not evolved to digest and synthesize the required acid aminos from it and some cats are more sensitive to grains/carbohydrates than other cats. i constantly monitor my cat and observe their conditions - state of health so if there's any changes, i will almost always get it in time before any serious damage or illness arises.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Banned

hi eena and all

since we're on the subject of picky eaters and most replies indicate the popular brands on the market,

let me share with you what i heard/observe/gleaned from my vet visits

most of the cats i saw visiting the vet have
1) human-like disease like diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney stones (poor thing) and urinary tract infection, high cholesterol, serious case of diarrhea/constipation, skin disease or problem with fur, problem with bone/joints, obesity, etc, etc

2) they are all fed on the popular brands like IAMS, Royal Canin, Smartheart (oh, this cat was only about 7 or 8 months a tuxedo that's beautiful genetically but has a serious case of kidney stones!!!), Friskies, Whiskas (seen a few cases of kittens with diarrhea on fed on whiskas in fact my anna almost died from serious diarrhea as i was ignorant enough to feed her whiska), Misha, Blackwood, etc,etc.

I don't mean to belittle or bemean the good people who care enough to want to feed their cats the best and are placing their faith on the manufacturers and advertisers of these brands - all of you or most of you really love your pets and want the best for them.

i just wanna say all your pets illnesses and conditions are not coincidence. they happened due to a reason and more often than not, (leaving out cases of illness due to injuries/accidents/fights) it's because of food intake. it doesn't take much effort to find out more information

i guess i've said enough for the day.

i'll rest and renew my energy for the battle another day

have a good weekend
Old 09-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Animal Lover

Sorry forum participant(s)... My question is purely out of curiosity, not ignorance - comments are highly welcomed. Infact, I find your reply truly informative... :P

Some people like me tend to humanize our pets - picky, lazy, angry, etc. Yes, they can be lazy too!

Hope to hear more from the others... Till then,

Bye!!
Old 09-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Banned

Hi eena

no need to apologize, we're all here to agree and disagree, after all knowledge and learning is a two way streets. :-)
Old 07-01-2009, 10:22 AM
~feline attaché

nurkasih is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eena View Post
Reviving the topic..

Mine

~Sayang - Royal Canine Hair & Skin + Innova Evo (ratio of 2 : 1 )
~Bob - Royal Canine Kitten
~Boy - Science Plan Kitten ( dia reject RC)
Old 07-06-2009, 02:53 PM
PetFinder Guru

booboo is on a distinguished road

4 now im using blackwood....alhamdulillah poo derang ok...x busuk sngt n kaler gelap je....then berat pon da bertambah n kuat mkn.
dulu bg mkn wishkas....sum of my cats x suker so stat using blackwood sumer suker....including kitten....
price pon reasonable....n tahan lama x cpt masuk angen.....semut pon x hurung....