Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 10-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Animal Lover

zihao1101 is on a distinguished road
Default poodle biting problem

Hi everyone,

I got myself a toy poodle on 1st OCT. he is 2 months old now.
I'm facing 2 problem now.

ONE:
he love to bite me and my gf's finger, toe, it's not gentle, but very very hard and shake his head just like he trying to kill something. luckily he never bite furniture..

he just refused to bite his toy, be it soft or hard bone i bought for him.
though sometimes he play with the bone.. some time, he only play, not bite..

TWO:
He refuse to sleep at night..
he love to sleep after 10pm, after dinner, after we play with him (biting us is his favourite), but right after 12pm we switch off the light, he do not want to sleep in his cage, we are still fine, i can sleep with him, but he just bite my blanket, bed, my hair...

Any clue why is he acting this way?
Old 10-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Animal Lover

feltan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: poodle biting problem

Hi there,

Based on your descreption and here is my opinion.

The good news is you have a smart and high energy dog. Smart dog need to be challenged (psychologically) most of the time. High energy dog need to be challenged physically. Now the question is can you create challenges for him.

First you must stop the bitting. You can try this. Everytime he bites you, you make a loud noise and turn away from him. This to tell him tell if he bites you, you will move aways. You have to do this until he gets the message. Only play with him when you invite him. Not on his wish.

Since he is still 2 months young, it is not recomended you bring him out for exercise or walk. But you can play fetching in your home. throw a toy and ask him to get it back to you and reward with treats.

To challenge him psychologically, you can start teaching him tricks. You can find dog tricks video in youtube. You need to tired him. Let me know you progress.

One more advice. Never treat your dog like a human. Your dog will thank you for that. Other wise you will face the consequences.

I strongly recommend you to watch "The dog whisperer" to understand dog better. Astro National Geographic channel is showing it every Wednesday 10.30pm to 12.30pm. They are showing Season 3. I have a collection of Season 1 to 7 (over 120 episodes). You will becomea better dog owner after watching it. And you will understand why I said never treat your dog like human.Trust me.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Animal Lover

zihao1101 is on a distinguished road

Erm, don't really understand what do you mean by do not treat him like a human..

Anyway, he is really smart puppy, in a sense i try to train him to do sit and hand then i will reward with treats..

now whenever i take out the treats, he will sit and wave his right hand =.=

Any chance I get to borrow/ copy the episode you collect on the dog whisperer?
Old 10-19-2011, 06:57 PM
PetFinder Guru

Rayquaza17 is on a distinguished road

zihao1101, maybe you could try getting a toy that is tied up like a rope. You can try letting him play that or either play tug of war :) Maybe it would help you out. Or either, buy toys that have squeaky sound. you can get raw hide, or those beef hide. I hope this help..
Old 10-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Animal Lover

feltan is on a distinguished road

Most of the problem faced by the dog owners were because they treat their dog like human. For instance, talk to your dog like talking to human, feed them with human food, dress them up like human, sleep with them on a human bed. Refuse to exercise the dog when human himself does not exercise with excuse exercise is not important.
You will know exactly what I am talking about when you watch The Dog Whisperer.
I can share the show with you if are interested. Please PM me. I will let you know about the arrangement.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:29 AM
Animal Lover

catshome is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: poodle biting problem

Hi,
Zhi Hao..

I work at pet shop as consultants..as far as I working I here this kind of story.It is normal for a puppy to biting, actually when the teeth is start growing they will feel itchy and try to bite something to make them comfortable however biting habit if non stop once puppy a bit troublesome to manage once adult. you can give a try DOGIT brand toy that looks like rubber where you can put in fridge ,just like human baby teeth biting toys.. or you can give it try everytime he try to bite you.Bite on his nose make him shocked and stop.Trust me do few people give it try and it do suceed like one of my friend.
second thing is about active habit and non sleeping, poodle is very active dogs and very loving dogs. Dogs need a routine to make sure they in good manner.same like the way you toilet train him. Try exercise with him from 8-9 or 9-10 p.m everday..every session about 30-45 minutes. keep this one everyday or every other days.Once his tired.The energy gone..he will fall sleep.

Other than that, do you gave any sweets treats? LiKE greenies? or food that contain sugar ? oligosaccarides and polysaccarides? sugar will make them hyper.

Hope help you much dear.

(Catshome)
We care of your pet like they are us

http://catshometown.blogspot.com/
Old 05-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Animal Lover

JonTempleton is on a distinguished road

Sounds like my girlfriend's Cocker Spaniel. I've heard that poodles are difficult when it comes to behavior. Good luck, and let us know how it works out.