Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 02-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Animal Lover

mac_kury is on a distinguished road
Question What breed to choose?!?!?!?! Im confuse!

Hi there, salam to all and gud day! im in need of help in chosing the right breed to be my farm guard dog. any idea or suggestions???
Old 02-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Super Hyper Animal Lover

pinkpuppy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What breed to choose?!?!?!?! Im confuse!

Doberman Pinscher - The Doberman Pinscher strongly defends its territory and is one of the easiest guard dogs to train. Dobermans are extremely loyal and trustworthy to their master, making them natural protectors. The Doberman's "medium size" (24-28 inches at the withers and approximately 70 pounds) makes it a good choice for a house dog as well as a guard dog. This top guard dog choice is extremely energetic and intelligent, thus making proper training and handling essential.

German Shepherd - The German Shepherd is quite easy to train and both a loyal family dog and an excellent guard dog, making it a top choice for a family pet. This dog is likely to bark at intruders, but is otherwise quiet. The American Kennel Club describes the German Shepherd as "direct and fearless, but not hostile".

Great Dane - The Great Dane is often described as the "gentle giant", however its imposing appearance (the preferred height is a minimum of 30 inches at the withers and weight can range between 100-150 pounds) and tendency to strongly defend its territory makes it a top choice for a guard dog. The breed was originally developed to hunt boar, a ferocious animal.

Rottweiler - The Rottweiler is described by the American Rottweiler Club as a "calm and self-confident dog, who has an inherent desire to protect home and family." An excellent guard dog choice, the Rottweiler is both highly intelligent and highly trainable. The Rottweiler is a large dog, ranging between 22-27 inches at the withers and weighing up to 135 pounds, and has a tendency to bump into family members (a natural tendency dating back to their cattle herding days). This can be problematic for families with small children or elderly household members.

You can see more from here: http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ds.html?cat=53
Old 02-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Animal Lover

Gosh... thanks for the info PP, thank you very much. My2, sorry for the rude introduction and harsh question. Hi all, Im a newbie here and my name is Ismail. currently looking for my first watchdog for the farm. Im living in the farm as a full time goat herder with my family. Lately, im getting annoyed with these 'uninvited company' into the farm. i tried not to place a dog in the farm as it might get loose and strays into the wood (never had a dog before, thought it was the same as cats) so i place several goose just to give these wild boars a gruesome welcoming cheer. Unfortunately, the pack of boars bash into the goose's cage and killed all 3 of them, along with 30 chicken, 26 egg laying ducks and 2 more lots of grass for the goats. devestated, i sat and cried. what else to do?
Previously, they recrop my coconut plantation all 50 shells of kelapa wangi, 25 of jackfruit and flips my rose garden.
my o'my, where have i done wrong. any suggestion to get a reliable dog (as Sam told me when i propose her for her Little Pinky) even stray dog/mongler (Sam teach me this) are reliable for the post. thoughts any1?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpuppy View Post
Doberman Pinscher - The Doberman Pinscher strongly defends its territory and is one of the easiest guard dogs to train. Dobermans are extremely loyal and trustworthy to their master, making them natural protectors. The Doberman's "medium size" (24-28 inches at the withers and approximately 70 pounds) makes it a good choice for a house dog as well as a guard dog. This top guard dog choice is extremely energetic and intelligent, thus making proper training and handling essential.

German Shepherd - The German Shepherd is quite easy to train and both a loyal family dog and an excellent guard dog, making it a top choice for a family pet. This dog is likely to bark at intruders, but is otherwise quiet. The American Kennel Club describes the German Shepherd as "direct and fearless, but not hostile".

Great Dane - The Great Dane is often described as the "gentle giant", however its imposing appearance (the preferred height is a minimum of 30 inches at the withers and weight can range between 100-150 pounds) and tendency to strongly defend its territory makes it a top choice for a guard dog. The breed was originally developed to hunt boar, a ferocious animal.

Rottweiler - The Rottweiler is described by the American Rottweiler Club as a "calm and self-confident dog, who has an inherent desire to protect home and family." An excellent guard dog choice, the Rottweiler is both highly intelligent and highly trainable. The Rottweiler is a large dog, ranging between 22-27 inches at the withers and weighing up to 135 pounds, and has a tendency to bump into family members (a natural tendency dating back to their cattle herding days). This can be problematic for families with small children or elderly household members.

You can see more from here: http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ds.html?cat=53

Last edited by mac_kury; 02-11-2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: mis-spell.. silly me.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Super Hyper Animal Lover

pinkpuppy is on a distinguished road

Actually any breed of dog which is easy to take care of and loyal can be used as a guard dog nomatter what breed it is. My previous post is searched from the net as you asked what breed is the best guard dog... I got a friend which picked up several mongrels from animal welfare societies to use as guard dogs for his factory and it turns out pretty well too! It proved that mutts can also be as good as pure breds right? You can find some larger sized dogs, no matter what breed, as you've witten that you wanted to protect your farm from wild boars or other wild animals. Normally dogs won't simply ran away as most of them attached to their owners and homes... Some of them can even be let free without running away!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Animal Lover

thanks PP for the advice.. yeah.. i was looking a larger dog, but my parents advice me to get the young ones, much more easier to teach. is it true? is there any rescuer in Bentong??? Sum1 i can talk to.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:31 PM
User Account Terminated

Jeffrey Read is an unknown quantity at this point

You are correct in choosing a larger breed. At least a breed like the Rottweiler to match the intruders, pound for pound of pure muscle. Anything smaller like the Maltese, will be minced meat.

Maybe if you are lucky, there will be a Rottweiler for adoption here. What you really need is a pack of Rotts, that would really deter anyone or anything!
Old 02-12-2010, 08:46 PM
PetFinder Guru

acsyen is on a distinguished road

I have rehomed some dogs to farms in Bentong before. They live a very good life there and guard the place very very well. They are just normal mongrels and can do the job very well. You can email me at yen@furrenz.com. i'll get some advice and possibly some dogs too that are protective from my circle of rescuer friends for you.