Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Training & Behavioral Issues

Training & Behavioral Issues Does your cat have an attitude, or just simply refuses to listen to you? Share it with your peers here and learn more about a cat's behavior and training methods

Old 02-02-2009, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Do Cats Respond to Their Name Being Called?

Hee. Before we brought Elvee home, Belle was super duper affectionate and always cooed back when I called her name. The first few days she knew she had to share my room with Elvee, Belle would roll her eyes or jeling when I called out her name. But when my mom 'borrowed' Elvee, Belle will meow her heart out calling for Elvee and scratch the door. She wouldn't even eat if Elvee isn't there to eat with her.

I always nagged, if you wanna take Elvee you must take Belle as well. xD
Old 02-04-2009, 12:44 PM

Furkidssssssssssssssssssssss!! Is that my Peterpan long lost cousin?? Kotak Monster??????
Yes, PP punya pinang ...
Poor girl!! Luckily your Kotak Monster didn't mind she ate his meal.good boy.She look like Blackie but female version
She very pretty girl ...

Name:	B73JRM01.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	3266   Click image for larger version

Name:	B73MND01.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	3267  
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 02-04-2009, 01:12 PM

How could I missed this very interesting "benang"?

I know what FK means by cats recognising and responding to our voice (or noise) .... hehehe, there's this stray "meow kung" that I feed everyday, would come running from houses away the moment he hears my hubby's RUSA VAN. Plus, he speaks to me, I talk, he "meow", talk some more, he "meow" more, I have a feeling the neighbours think I am mad cat woman ...

I also believe that cats do know their names! For example, my GARLIC responds to Ah-Lic, Lic-Lic and Garlic .... she comes to us and "meows". Lulu knows her name too! Beckham Ginger Boy even better, when we call out for Beckham Boy, he goes hiding under the bed and it is so funny when he runs, buttock facing us with his little bobtail. Best of all, he hides only half of his body (other half with his cute bobtail exposed), thinking that if he can't see us, we can't see him too....

Love them all ....

Old 02-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Felis Wonder Crew Member

IcE-CooN is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to IcE-CooN

Just Wanna Share somethings, I used to have domestic cat where I could call him from 50 meter and he will just come back to me even at outdoor or a foreign place. But I realize that the tone has to be correct. Example I call him SHAWN SHAWN. so If i call him shawn he will not response. Any cute things is that my 1st MCO his name is Funky. and he do response well with his name, when ever you call FUNKY he will look at you and sometimes come to you. But the Cute things is that if you call MONKEY he will come also ehehehe....
So it has to be the tone...

[WhEn IcE MeLt InTo SiLveR ]......www.IcE-CooN.com
Old 02-04-2009, 03:14 PM

Did someone say "Monkey"? Here are some of mine ... having fun and enjoying the wind in their faces ...

Name:	B73NIK01.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	3268   Click image for larger version

Name:	B73NIKPRS01.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	3269   Click image for larger version

Name:	B73NIK03.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	3270   Click image for larger version

Name:	B73NIK04.jpg
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	3271   Click image for larger version

Name:	B73NIK05.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	3272  

Name:	B73NIK06.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	3273  
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 02-04-2009, 03:26 PM

One day if I'm rich like Furkid, I will buy bangalow unit complete with big garden.for now I'm poor girl living in an apartment with 11 cats.I feel sorry for my cats,they don't have enough good time to jump,climb or even catch birds/lizard etc

Did someone say "Monkey"? Here are some of mine ... having fun and enjoying the wind in their faces ...
Old 02-04-2009, 03:40 PM

One day if I'm rich like Furkid, I will buy bangalow unit complete with big garden.for now I'm poor girl living in an apartment with 11 cats.I feel sorry for my cats,they don't have enough good time to jump,climb or even catch birds/lizard etc
Never mind, June, nanti your office open opis kat KK, you can balik and buy big, big house there for less $$, complete with big tanah and compound and get a maid to clean poo/pee for RM100!

And there all your kids can have all the fun of their life climbing trees, swoop at birds, chasing lizards, squirrels, etc.

Name:	B73Tree04.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	3274   Click image for larger version

Name:	B73Tree05.jpg
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	3275   Click image for larger version

Name:	B73Tree02.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	3276  

Last edited by FurKids; 02-04-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:32 PM

Karipapp, you're too phatt to climb ... lebih baik duduk diam-diam aje ... so I don't have to worry about you!

Name:	B73JAM01.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	3277   Click image for larger version

Name:	B73JAM02.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	3278   Click image for larger version

Name:	B73JAM03.jpg
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	3279  
Old 02-04-2009, 04:39 PM

Little Bebola (June punyer pebret), you oso angan-angan mau panjat kaaaaa .... nanti Papa kena panggil bomba laaaa ....

Name:	B73BRN01.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	3280  
Old 02-04-2009, 05:01 PM

Default Do Cats Respond to Their Name Being Called?

phewit!!! tgk ekor dia goyang2 kiri kanan

nak balik KK tanam jagung dan pelihara kucinglah Furkid I dah pigi tanya2 last mth bila balik KK.my husband kata dia nak balik KK retire.tak suka duduk KL. dia nak beli tanah dan buat rmh kampung.kena cari tempat jauh2 dan ulu2 sikit. matilah aku duduk kat ulu2.

Little Bebola (June punyer pebret), you oso angan-angan mau panjat kaaaaa .... nanti Papa kena panggil bomba laaaa ....
Old 02-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Call me Yuana or Yan ;)

euanna is on a distinguished road

When I 1st brought back Sherbet, he didn't have any name.. and doesn't respond to the name we gave him..so.. I google up.. then try call his name while looking at his eyes... and then train him to know his name..by holding kibble / food in my hand..hide it behind me..and call his name.. Of course at 1st he will come because of the food.. after a few days .. he respond to his name.

Now, whenever I can't see him.. just call out "Sherbet... Sheerrrbeeet".. he will come out from wherever his hiding place (usually under my bed)..and come to my feet.. rubbing his body n then roll over.

Whenever he did bad things, just call his name in really sharp tone.. he will stop whatever he do and look at me. Stare at him ..n he will flee like a maniac.

Salem is easier .. just call out and he will come. Although I think he can't differentiate voice tone yet.. So..have to pick him up whenever he's venturing into dangerous place...
Old 02-05-2009, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by euanna View Post
When I 1st brought back Sherbet, he didn't have any name.. and doesn't respond to the name we gave him..so.. I google up.. then try call his name while looking at his eyes... and then train him to know his name..by holding kibble / food in my hand..hide it behind me..and call his name.. Of course at 1st he will come because of the food.. after a few days .. he respond to his name.

Now, whenever I can't see him.. just call out "Sherbet... Sheerrrbeeet".. he will come out from wherever his hiding place (usually under my bed)..and come to my feet.. rubbing his body n then roll over.

Whenever he did bad things, just call his name in really sharp tone.. he will stop whatever he do and look at me. Stare at him ..n he will flee like a maniac.

Salem is easier .. just call out and he will come. Although I think he can't differentiate voice tone yet.. So..have to pick him up whenever he's venturing into dangerous place...
In animal training, they will tell you NEVER to mention the animal's name when he does something which is not allowed and never scold the animal mentioning his name.

Just say "No!" firmly/sharply.

Animal brains work by associating things, and his name must not be associated with something negative.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:18 PM

Binaaaaa!!! At last, you've arrived....eh, I mean arrived here, I know you already arrived....

Awwwh, your story of of Ginger is so cute...half hiding with only his body and bob tail showing....why does he run and hide when you call him? He likes playing hide and seek?

How could I missed this very interesting "benang"?

I know what FK means by cats recognising and responding to our voice (or noise) .... hehehe, there's this stray "meow kung" that I feed everyday, would come running from houses away the moment he hears my hubby's RUSA VAN. Plus, he speaks to me, I talk, he "meow", talk some more, he "meow" more, I have a feeling the neighbours think I am mad cat woman ...

I also believe that cats do know their names! For example, my GARLIC responds to Ah-Lic, Lic-Lic and Garlic .... she comes to us and "meows". Lulu knows her name too! Beckham Ginger Boy even better, when we call out for Beckham Boy, he goes hiding under the bed and it is so funny when he runs, buttock facing us with his little bobtail. Best of all, he hides only half of his body (other half with his cute bobtail exposed), thinking that if he can't see us, we can't see him too....

Love them all ....

Wah, Ken, haven't 'seen' you in ages....how's Barbie Doll??
Is Funky Takao's litter? That's so cute, answering to Monkey, too. Poor thing. If he only knew what a monkey is.... Maybe I should teach him the word Monkey so he understands....

Originally Posted by IcE-CooN View Post
Just Wanna Share somethings, I used to have domestic cat where I could call him from 50 meter and he will just come back to me even at outdoor or a foreign place. But I realize that the tone has to be correct. Example I call him SHAWN SHAWN. so If i call him shawn he will not response. Any cute things is that my 1st MCO his name is Funky. and he do response well with his name, when ever you call FUNKY he will look at you and sometimes come to you. But the Cute things is that if you call MONKEY he will come also ehehehe....
So it has to be the tone...

Yan,
I'm afraid I have to agree with FK here. Do not let an animal associate its name with something negative. It will learn to run away the next time you call its name. I just shout "oooi" at Blackie when he climbed up onto my toilet seat and munched on the plants up there. In fact, now, the minute I see him doing it and he knows I'm in the bathroom, he'll just jump off and flee. He knows he shouldn't do that without my having to say even a word anymore.

In animal training, they will tell you NEVER to mention the animal's name when he does something which is not allowed and never scold the animal mentioning his name.

Just say "No!" firmly/sharply.

Animal brains work by associating things, and his name must not be associated with something negative.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:21 PM

Furkids,
What are those huge trees in your garden? They look nice, a fun place for cats. Awwh, pity my Blackie, no tree to climb, no garden to play in.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:36 AM
Felis Wonder Crew Member

Binaaaaa!!! At last, you've arrived....eh, I mean arrived here, I know you already arrived....

Awwwh, your story of of Ginger is so cute...half hiding with only his body and bob tail showing....why does he run and hide when you call him? He likes playing hide and seek?

Wah, Ken, haven't 'seen' you in ages....how's Barbie Doll??
Is Funky Takao's litter? That's so cute, answering to Monkey, too. Poor thing. If he only knew what a monkey is.... Maybe I should teach him the word Monkey so he understands....

Yan,
I'm afraid I have to agree with FK here. Do not let an animal associate its name with something negative. It will learn to run away the next time you call its name. I just shout "oooi" at Blackie when he climbed up onto my toilet seat and munched on the plants up there. In fact, now, the minute I see him doing it and he knows I'm in the bathroom, he'll just jump off and flee. He knows he shouldn't do that without my having to say even a word anymore.
Ok Answer to your 1st Question, Barbie doll got a new Boy Friend call Blaine, FYI I dump her coz she spend too much money on her outfit every 6 month......

2nd Question, Funky is a PURE HIKARU GENJI Litter with Cendrillion, there is no TAKAO blood in him... I am sure you will get a SUPER GLUE from TAKAO kids not funky type Coz he is the most Cheeky MCO in my house. Coz Hikaru will most produce very CHEEKY boys.... and I have to intention to call him monkey and how i find out is that when i am talking to my wife about this Squirrel Monkey and Pig Tail Monkey, I see Funky keep to coming to me and i say again monkey, Well i was holding some nice nugget at the time and that is his favorite, then I know he response to the word MONKEY coz he think i call him.. to come and makan the nugget. So I try again 2 days later.... and he still response to word MONKEY...

Last edited by IcE-CooN; 02-06-2009 at 05:23 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:24 AM

Awwwh, poor Ken, it must have cost you a fortune to dump Barbie Doll.....Divorced Barbie comes with Ken's house, Ken's car, Ken's boat, Ken's furniture, Ken's computer....AND......a keychain with Ken's balls in it...!!!!!!!! (That's why it's the most expensive, at USD265.95 while others are only USD19.95.)

Oh dear, that must have hurt like hell, Ken.....

Hmmmm....so Funky litter is cheeky and not gluey, eh? Will it spray like Hiraku? Poor Hiraku, he must be feeling stressed at having so many male top guns in the house, I guess he needed to mark his territory.

Hahaha, I like the name "Monkey".

Ok Answer to your 1st Question, Barbie doll got a new Boy Friend call Blaine, FYI I dump her coz she spend too much money on her outfit every 6 month......

2nd Question, Funky is a PURE HIKARU GENJI Litter with Cendrillion, there is no TAKAO blood in him... I am sure you will get a SUPER GLUE from TAKAO kids not funky type Coz he is the most Cheeky MCO in my house. Coz Hikaru will most produce very CHEEKY boys.... and I have to intention to call him monkey and how i find out is that when i am talking to my wife about this Squirrel Monkey and Pig Tail Monkey, I see Funky keep to coming to me and i say again monkey, Well i was holding some nice nugget at the time and that is his favorite, then I know he response to the word MONKEY coz he think i call him.. to come and makan the nugget. So I try again 2 days later.... and he still response to word MONKEY...
Old 02-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Felis Wonder Crew Member

Awwwh, poor Ken, it must have cost you a fortune to dump Barbie Doll.....Divorced Barbie comes with Ken's house, Ken's car, Ken's boat, Ken's furniture, Ken's computer....AND......a keychain with Ken's balls in it...!!!!!!!! (That's why it's the most expensive, at USD265.95 while others are only USD19.95.)

Oh dear, that must have hurt like hell, Ken.....

Hmmmm....so Funky litter is cheeky and not gluey, eh? Will it spray like Hiraku? Poor Hiraku, he must be feeling stressed at having so many male top guns in the house, I guess he needed to mark his territory.

Hahaha, I like the name "Monkey".

Hmmm... only worth USD 265.95... So little ah... I am mesmerize with that figure hahahahah ..

Funky didn't spray like HIKARU but maybe he was neuter early doesn't have a chance to learn that hehehe....Well but he is very CHEEKY and also realistic ,when he haven't got his CAN FOOD or Beef/Chicken Meal he will be Gluey, and i am not joking he will keep on turning circle between your legs and used his head to rub you legs... But once you give him what he want. Then he won't come to you until the next morning or unless you have nuggets on your hand hehehe...

Old 02-06-2009, 04:24 PM

Yup, USD265.95 is not a lot for your prized....ahemm....family jewels, right?

Awwwh, Funky is one smart monkey...he knows how to get what he wants....

Hmmm... only worth USD 265.95... So little ah... I am mesmerize with that figure hahahahah ..

Funky didn't spray like HIKARU but maybe he was neuter early doesn't have a chance to learn that hehehe....Well but he is very CHEEKY and also realistic ,when he haven't got his CAN FOOD or Beef/Chicken Meal he will be Gluey, and i am not joking he will keep on turning circle between your legs and used his head to rub you legs... But once you give him what he want. Then he won't come to you until the next morning or unless you have nuggets on your hand hehehe...
Old 02-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Call me Yuana or Yan ;)

euanna is on a distinguished road

Hehe..I haven't been in here for quite sometime

Hmm..can't call his name in sharp tone hmm..I'll remember that.. Although lately I find Sherbet is more well behave than the little one(Salem).. God forbid I have a really vocal kitten...

What Salem likes to do now is mew for hours until he can crawl onto someone's neck / suck on someone's shirt . I have no idea what to do except put them both in a room now because I can't sleep when he comes and walk all over with claw out.. mewing non stop

I'm gonna practise my "OOOI!" tone now
Old 02-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Felis Wonder Crew Member

Originally Posted by euanna View Post
Hehe..I haven't been in here for quite sometime

Hmm..can't call his name in sharp tone hmm..I'll remember that.. Although lately I find Sherbet is more well behave than the little one(Salem).. God forbid I have a really vocal kitten...

What Salem likes to do now is mew for hours until he can crawl onto someone's neck / suck on someone's shirt . I have no idea what to do except put them both in a room now because I can't sleep when he comes and walk all over with claw out.. mewing non stop

I'm gonna practise my "OOOI!" tone now
Out of curiosity is your cat Salem neuter? If yes he/she should be cooling down if you didn't attend to his meow.