Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Rescuers & Fosterers

Rescuers & Fosterers For rescuers and fosterers, the true heroes of PetFinder.my

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:38 AM
PetFinder Buddy

baca882004 is on a distinguished road
Default Save Dogs Deported to Pulau Ketam

Dear Pet Lovers :

Posting again, please read and help out if you can.

About 300 stray dogs were rounded up by Pulau Ketam residents and deported
to an isolated island to fend for themselves.

Over half of them are already dead and the remaining ones may not live long. A rescue mission is being mounted and your help is needed.

http://www.mycen.com.my/rescue/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	puppy_poster.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	4963  
Old 05-05-2009, 07:43 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Default Re: Save Dogs Deported to Pulau Ketam

Here's another side of the story. Read further to see KURAUKING comments.
http://www.myklang.com/forum/disaste...am-t-2869.html

There's always two sides to a coin and the villager's plights are understandable.

So hope we can all chip in to help. Me being so far away in Kuching, I can only help through donations.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:10 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by baca882004 View Post
Here's another side of the story. Read further to see KURAUKING comments.
http://www.myklang.com/forum/disaste...am-t-2869.html

There's always two sides to a coin and the villager's plights are understandable.

So hope we can all chip in to help. Me being so far away in Kuching, I can only help through donations.
how do you do donations? how long this able stop? this is nowhere to solve the problem.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:29 AM
PetFinder Buddy

You can read more information here.
http://www.mycen.com.my/rescue/updates.html

Looks like current effort is concentrated on evacuating the dogs from this remote island first as the enviroment is too harsh for them to survive.

As for long term plans, am not sure. Probably Furry Friends Farm will come up with something eventually.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:41 AM
PetFinder Moderator

Thanks for sharing, i have differ way look at this, if some dog rescue from the islands, another dogs send again to the island. for my point the first we need stop them for sending those dogs to the island.
the point is who going stop them? If I can, i going do, but myself cannot.

Quote:
You can read more information here.

Looks like current effort is concentrated on evacuating the dogs from this remote island first as the enviroment is too harsh for them to survive.

As for long term plans, am not sure. Probably Furry Friends Farm will come up with something eventually.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:50 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Ya lah...has to approach it from two sides.
Clean up current mess & then educate the villagers to prevent future mess.

Me lagi teruk. Can't even do anything except donate a bit. Use InterGiro Transfer loh, but still waiting for more details from Furry Farm so that I can complete the transaction.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:13 AM
PetFinder Moderator

How about SPCA Malaysia? are they already very many good organizations to support? but people usually like to help in their local areas. For a huge disaster that gets the whole world's attention, they will donate. But for something like this mostly people give to local organizations.

Quote:
Ya lah...has to approach it from two sides.
Clean up current mess & then educate the villagers to prevent future mess.

Me lagi teruk. Can't even do anything except donate a bit. Use InterGiro Transfer loh, but still waiting for more details from Furry Farm so that I can complete the transaction.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:07 PM
PetFinder Guru

mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
How about SPCA Malaysia? are they already very many good organizations to support? but people usually like to help in their local areas. For a huge disaster that gets the whole world's attention, they will donate. But for something like this mostly people give to local organizations.
My dearest Buddy,

SPCA Ampang is getting their hands, legs, head and entire body lah into helping these poor dogs in Pulau Ketam...

We cannot say or publish too much until there is an effective action plans is being laid out. My dear brother, quiet does not mean not doing anything, we are looking into a lot of areas for the betterment of the animals.

Have anyone been there? DO ALL OF US DARE ENOUGH TO GO TO THE ISLAND AND CATCH THESE DOGS. Have you seen the place, up close and personal?

We would love to team up with all rescuers and IPR (put aside the human issues) for the animals sake, please.

...THE DAY I KNOW THE MEANING OF TRUE LOVE, LOYALTY, TRUST AND FRIENDSHIP...
...TIGER IN MEMORY...

Last edited by mrsdolittle; 05-05-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default Urgent Rescue Mission by Furry Friends Farm's Sabrina Yeap

DIMB,
FYI, urgent rescue is already being carried out by Sabrina Yeap (Furry Friends Farm) and her friends racing against time to save as many as they can as you can see below ... and they need funds desperately.

See story at http://www.mycen.com.my/rescue/index.html:

---------------------------------------------------

To donate or help

e-mail TV Smith at tvsmith@mycen.com.my or Sabrina Yeap at yeapwen@yahoo.com

Funds can be banked in or transferred to:

Furry Friends Farm account at CIMB 1457-000-1182-05-6

You can also transfer via PayPal to tvsmith@gmail.com

Please retain transaction record / slip for verification and audit purposes.

For info or enquiries:

The Rescue Mission Secretariat at +6012 378 3730 (Janet) or +6012 320 8090 (Zalina)

The Sec's E-mail is dogrescue.pk@gmail.com (see updates page for info)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ketam_03.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	5016   Click image for larger version

Name:	ketam_04.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	5017   Click image for larger version

Name:	ketam_06.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	5018   Click image for larger version

Name:	ketam_07.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	5019   Click image for larger version

Name:	ketam_08.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	5020  

Name:	ketam_09.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	5021   Click image for larger version

Name:	ketam_10.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	5022   Click image for larger version

Views:	75
ID:	5023  
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies

Last edited by FurKids; 05-06-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Default Urgent Rescue Mission - The Rescue Mission Secretariat

From http://www.mycen.com.my/rescue/updates.html

The Rescue Mission Secretariat

Sabrina and myself are swarmed with e-mails. Which is a good thing. Many generous and caring folks are contacting us to contribute money and time. Among the many subjects, good folks want to confirm bank account details, ask if they can use paypal, inquire whether they can help or volunteer in other ways, send food, offer words of encouragement, etc, etc.

Me and Sabrina read and respond to every single mail from two different locations. It is almost non-stop work with a mail a minute for the whole day. And if we have inadvertently missed one or two, please accept our apologies. Please keep em coming though.

But once the real work starts in the high seas we are unable to reply immediately or as fast as we would like. It is dangerous to work on a laptop or a phone out on a swaying boat.

Thereby, I have initiated The Rescue Mission Secretariat. They will be managed by three great ladies with a proven track record as independent rescuers and as passionate animal welfare defenders. They are all musical stars in their own right too

Janet will handle publicity and donation info, While Zalina will be the media and press liaisons person and Nicole will assist them both.

They can be reached at +6012 378 3730 (Janet) or +6012 320 8090 (Zalina)
The Sec's E-mail is dogrescue.pk@gmail.com

You can still e-mail me and Sabrina at the earlier given addresses but do cc to the new e-mail, in case it goes unanswered for a while. Or you may write directly to this new e-mail address and cc to Sabrina and me. Or any combo or just pick up the phone and call them to ask...

Updates by TV Smith
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 05-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Default Plight of the swamp dogs - The Star

From The Star

Waiting To Be Rescued

Picture below shows several of the abandoned dogs on Pulau Tengah looking wistfully at the approaching visitors.
Inset: Sabrina Yeap bringing an injured Hope back to the mainland.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
PORT KLANG: Animal activist Sabrina Yeap couldn’t hold back her tears when she saw the condition of the dogs that Pulau Ketam residents had dumped on an uninhabited island.

“They were wandering aimlessly, often looking towards Pulau Ketam with eyes that appeared empty and listless,’’ said Yeap who went to Pulau Tengah last Saturday to check on the welfare of the dogs.

Several fishermen, a volunteer, and blogger TV Smith accompanied Yeap on the trip to the island, which is in the middle of a mangrove swamp.

“The fishermen told us that some of the dogs had died of starvation, and those that are alive ate the carcasses,’’ said Yeap.

Pulau Ketam residents had trapped some 400 dogs and transported them to Pulau Tengah to ease the stray dog population on their island.

Yeap said the fishermen told her that some of the dogs had tried to swim back to the main island but had been shooed away, resulting in some of them drowning.

“It was a pitiful sight, and I couldn’t stop crying after I saw what was happening to the dogs there,’’ said Yeap.

She added that she would be taking 20 dogs to her Furry Friends Farm in Kundang to be rehabilitated and eventually re-homed.

“I wish I could take in more dogs, but can’t due to space and financial constraints,’’ said Yeap, who managed to save a dog she found trapped in the mud.

The dog, since named Hope, is recuperating at a veterinary clinic pending transfer to Yeap’s sanctuary.

Yeap said she hoped farm and orchard owners would come forward to adopt some of the abandoned dogs.

Kapar MP S. Manikavasagam said he would be visiting Pulau Ketam to talk to the residents over what they had done (Pulau Ketam and Pulau Tengah fall under the Kapar parliamentary constituency).

“It is wrong to dump dogs where they cannot survive. I will bring this matter up with the relevant authorities,’’ he said.

Manikavasagam added that he was prepared to accompany Yeap and Smith on their next visit to Pulau Tengah.

Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) spokesman Jacinta Johnson said a relief team would be sent to Pulau Tengah to try and rescue the dogs.

“We will try to round up the healthier dogs and neuter them. For the weaker ones, we have no choice but to put them to sleep,” she added.

The SPCA would also seek the cooperation of Pulau Ketam residents to set up a temporary dog shelter if required.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dogs.jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	5025  
Old 05-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Default The desperate swamp dogs of Pulau Ketam ...

From http://birdstalkingtoo.blogspot.com/

Picture from TV Smith shows this Shih Tzu mixed is also a prisoner on the deadly island.

Wondering can she last?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ketam_07_-_Copy_(2).jpg
Views:	176
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	5028  
Old 05-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Animal Lover

Bebe is on a distinguished road
Default Plight of the Swamp Dogs

'hope there will be a happy ending for most, if not all of them.

Last edited by Bebe; 05-06-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Save Dogs Deported to Pulau Ketam

I really dunno how to describe my feeling when I read the story abt dumping dogs in unihibitant island.Should we call the people who dumped the dogs human??
Old 05-06-2009, 09:21 PM
PetFinder Wowwow

vivi is on a distinguished road

That's really terrible.
I hope i really can help in anyway.
Why can't they think of spaying or neutering the dogs rather than dumping them?
Oh my god.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:48 AM
PetFinder Guru

melmel is on a distinguished road

News From SPCA Selangor
For release on Wednesday, 6th May 2009

Abandoned Dogs Cannibalizing Each Other
SPCA Selangor & Save A Stray Start Emergency Relief Efforts Today

4th May 2009, KLANG – SPCA Selangor Animal Inspectors and Save A Stray founder Jacqueline Tsang made another trip to Pulau Ketam and the neighbouring uninhabited island on Monday to check on the dogs that had been abandoned on Pulau Selat Kering.

What they witnessed confirmed their worst fear.

The dogs have no choice but to eat carcasses of other dogs, as there is no other source of food available for weeks

Upon approaching Pulau Selat Kering, the team saw approximately 10 dogs on the fringe of the island. When they moved closer, a horrific sight unfolded. Several emaciated dogs were crowded and hunched around something – they were hungrily feasting on the remains of another dog.

They were fighting amongst each other for a small meal. The stronger dogs dominated, while weak dogs sat at a distance and watched helplessly. Nearby, a weak dog was screaming because several dogs were trying to bite her. The sound of dogs fighting could be heard in the distance intermittently. The dogs were starving, and very skinny – they had not had a proper food source for weeks.

Dogs eating the dog kibbles hungrily

About 15 more dogs were seen resting among the mangroves. Inspector Murugan walked through the swampland and quickly emptied two 15-kilo bags of dog food onto the sand, and filled up a bucket with clean drinking water. The dogs immediately rushed out towards the food, and ate hungrily.

Upon reaching back to the main island (Pulau Ketam), the team met with the Sungai Lima village head (also facing a stray dog crisis), and Mr Loo (Secretary of Ketam Dogs Catching Committee). They agreed to cooperate with SPCA & SAS on emergency rescue and relief efforts for the abandoned dogs, as well as long-term plans sterilize the dogs and either rehome or relocate them.

Immediate Action

Today (6th May 2009), Jacqueline from SAS, SPCA Animal Inspectors, SPCA Vet Dr Goh and SPCA Kennel worker Maran have gone to Pulau Selat Kering to start catching and transporting as many abandoned dogs back to the main island of Pulau Ketam for rehabilitation and safekeeping. Dogs that are too weak or sickly will be euthanized humanely on the spot, to prevent them from suffering further.

The dogs will be provided with food and water everyday, and will be monitored while confined in cages. Once they are healthy enough, the dogs will be neutered and re-homed or re-located.Thus far, 10 cages have been secured (5 donated, and 5 purchased by SPCA) for the transportation and confinement of the dogs.

Updates will be posted on a daily basis on the SPCA Website www.spca.org.my

Approximately 100 - 200 dogs are still on the island, and need to be relocated immediately

SPCA and SAS are appealing to the public to contribute to their Pulau Ketam fund, to aid the emergency rescue and relief efforts over the next several weeks. Funds will be utilized to hire boats for transportation of the dogs, purchase dog food, medical supplies and cages. The start-up fund is RM1,300 – proceeds from a networking event SPCA organized last Sunday.

We also appreciate donations in kind – 3’ x 3’ multipurpose cages, dog biscuits and canned food, food and water bowls, towels, water storage containers, and flea/tick spray. All donated items can be sent to the SPCA Animal Shelter in Ampang Jaya.

a) Donate Online
Please click here to make a donation through our ipay88.com account. Please indicate that the donation is for the Pulau Ketam Project.

b) Fund Transfers & Cheques
You can bank in the payment to our RHB account (Account No: 2-12273-00021583). Please call or e-mail us at enquiries@spca.org.my to notify us of your bank-in donation and transaction details.

c) Please make all cheques to the Society For The Prevention of Cruelty To Animals (please write Pulau Ketam fund on the reverse), and mail to ;

SPCA Selangor
Jalan Kerja Ayer Lama
68000 Ampang Jaya
Selangor Darul Ehsan
Enquiries: 603-4256 5312 (8am - 4.30pm), 4253 5312 (10am – 6.30pm)

Volunteers
If you are an experienced dog-handler, animal rescuer or vet and interested in assisting with the emergency rescue and relief work, or able to foster adult dogs or puppies temporarily, please send us an e-mail immediately at enquiries@spca.org.my . There are hundreds of dogs and puppies that need your help, every bit counts!

Background Information
Pulau Ketam consists of two settlements - Pulau Ketam Village and Sungai Lima Village. Both villages claim to have been facing a stray dog crisis for the last several years. Earlier this month, newspapers reported that Pulau Ketam villagers were trapping stray dogs and transporting them to a 3 vacant island in a desperate attempt to reduce the population of dogs. Sungai Lima villagers later started a similar operation.

Pulau Ketam villagers reported that 312 dogs had already been trapped and abandoned on uninhabited Pulau Tengah out of an estimated population of 2000, while Sungai Lima villagers estimated their stray dog population to be around 600.
SPCA Animal Inspectors Cunera and Murugan, and SAS founder Jackie Tsang made a trip to Pulau Ketam earlier this week. They found that most of the villagers owned dogs themselves, and had no intention of causing harm to the strays on the island. They were frustrated at the stray dog population, which is quickly spiraling out of control – the villagers estimate that there are approximately 2000 strays on the island. The villagers said that they did not want the dogs caught and euthanized, and thought that leaving them to survive on another island would be better. The villagers were upset with the reports in the media, which claimed that they had been burning the dogs or abusing them – which they denied doing.
The team found that during the day time, there were dozens of stray cats and dogs roaming the island. However, when they surveyed a part of the town from 12.30pm-1.30am, they counted 82 dogs in just a small area. The dogs look generally healthy, with several suffering from minor injuries.
At a meeting with the village leaders, they agreed to support a mass sterilization effort for both stray and pet dogs (and cats) by SPCA and SAS.

Last edited by melmel; 05-07-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:54 AM
PetFinder Guru

Star Thursday May 7, 2009

2 DOGS RESCUED by SPCA - Dogs run deeper into island on seeing rescuers

By EDWARD RAJENDRA

PORT KLANG: The dogs abandoned on an uninhabited island by Pulau Ketam residents were so frightened at the sight of a big group of people that they fled deeper into the island.

A five-member team from the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) and nine newsmen came to the island off Pulau Selat Kering yesterday on a mission to rescue the dogs.

“Only two dogs were captured. The others just ran off,” said SPCA spokesman Jacinta Johnson.

She said they brought food to coax the dogs towards the shoreline but due to the incoming tide, they refused to approach the relief team.

“However, our operation is still meaningful as it has given us a better idea of the island and the movement of the dogs there.

“We won’t bring the media along in our next relief effort,” she said.

The team placed dog food and drinking water on the island before leaving the place.

A month ago, Pulau Ketam residents trapped about 400 dogs and transported them to Pulau Tengah to ease the stray dog population on their island.

The dogs, which lived below the stilt houses, would come up to the wooden platform during high tide.

Kindly contact 016 9018727 4 further info
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ketam 5.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	5039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 6.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	5040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 7.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	5041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 8.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	5042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 9.jpg
Views:	74
ID:	5043  

Name:	Ketam 10.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	5044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 11.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	5045  

Last edited by melmel; 05-07-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

I don't think they're at that "level" to think or do this yet. Read what I wrote about pulau ketam and the residents' lifestyle here. http://forums.petfinder.my/showpost....6&postcount=64

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivi View Post
That's really terrible.
I hope i really can help in anyway.
Why can't they think of spaying or neutering the dogs rather than dumping them?
Oh my god.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Thumbs up Hurray !!! Sabrina has saved her !!!!!

Hurray !!!!! She is saved !!!!!! Well done, Sabrina & friends !!!!! Thank God and God bless you all !!!!

Thu, 07/05/09:

YOU SAVED HER!

Remember that forlorn puppy on a tree I photographed on our first rescue trip? I took her picture and turned it into our mission poster. It quickly moved a nation and touched a million hearts worldwide. Her expression of hopelessness and despair made everyone with a conscience weep. It also made me and Sabrina all the more determined to try free all the dogs imprisoned there.

Her haunting image spread like wildfire across the Internet and donations started pouring in. It allowed us to intensify our rescue efforts.

We had a hard and hectic day at the islands yesterday but we are extremely pleased to tell u we rescued her! She is now at the animal hospital undergoing treatment before she joins the other rescued animals at Sabrina's Furry Friends Farm sanctuary. Big hugs for all volunteers who helped and also to those who made donations, showered us with multi-faith prayers and much-needed moral support.

Together with her, we also retrieved another male dog which is injured and requires immediate medical attention. Your donations allow us to provide the medical care needed. Please help to keep the funds flowing by continuing to distribute the poster. You saved her!

TV Smith
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	puppy_saved.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	5065   Click image for larger version

Views:	66
ID:	5066  
Old 05-07-2009, 05:37 PM
PetFinder Guru

Visit to Death island for dogs
dumped Local Pulau Ketam stray dogs
There was barely sufficient land for the dogs to stand on
By: Teoh El Sen
Malay Mail Thursday, May 7th, 2009 06:24:00

I EXPECTED blood, death and mad dogs chewing on the bones of their own kind. But what I saw yesterday was even worse. Though never a dog lover, there was something that touched this cold heart of a crime journalist.

RESCUED: The two dogs saved from the Selat Kering island taking a rest after they were put on the boat yesterday

Something that made me care for these creatures a little more than I would have expected to. I had followed the early morning rescue team to save dogs that had been unceremoniously dumped on an island some 25 minutes by boat from Pulau Ketam.

During the ride, I was thinking that I would be seeing a pack of angry snarling wild dogs, all barking at us, waiting to be rescued.

Animals that have gone mad from days of starvation, or from the fact that they had eaten one of their kind. And were just ready to snap at the next living thing that came their way. But as the boat neared Pulau Selat Kering, what I saw was truly a pitiful sight.

An island it was, but there wasn’t even enough land for the dogs to stand on!

We spotted a cute terrier-like puppy crouched on a branch, looking forlornly at the sea. It looked like that thick branch was the only “land” it had known for quite a while.

When workers from the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) waded onto a small shore (always wary of quicksand) and placed a pack of feed to lure the dogs, it was then that I thought I saw more in the lives these dogs had been forced to cling to. They were thin and emaciated.

Most hardly had the strength to walk straight, let alone bark. In a short while a group of dogs gathered around the food, quickly chewing and swallowing what they could, lest the “miracle” disappeared all too soon.

And as we observed the feeding scene before us, I thought to myself, what could that one dog be thinking? Of the days he fed on scraps of who-knows-what and if he was lucky, a fish carcass?

Of the day he witnessed one of his kind becoming food for the others or how he succumbed to hunger and took a bite too? Of how and why these humans have come here. Possibly to haul them in cages to another prison of sorrow? Or maybe he was pondering the fate of a kinsman, who braved the open sea in search of home, and failed.

The wide-eyed dog simply trotted over and joined his two friends to munch on the food. But then came time for action, to stop this “undogly” life for these dogs, and the catchers sprang into action. Coming slowly with a rope, the rescue workers soon realised that these dogs were still pretty scared of humans as they bolted to hide.

One black one gave up when two men came and grabbed it firmly. He was brought on the boat and placed in a spacious cage. I wondered if he knew he was the lucky one. He would get treatment, shelter, food, water, and maybe one day an owner who’d give him a warm, fuzzy home.

Such hopelessness. Such despair. Such disgrace to life. This, was all man’s doing, and man must rectify this.
Attached Thumbnails
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ketam 12.jpg
ID:	5087  
Closed Thread