Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 09-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Animal Lover

Nachichan is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Somebody please give me tips on stopping her to run out from the house

My dog, FLora likes to run out from the house whenever i open the gate.
She will come back every time after she thinks it is enough. Sometimes my neighbor will bring her back and tied her infront of my gate Then she will whined and jump on the gate to pled us to open the gate if nobody noticed her.Yesterday she ran out from the house and come back with 3 wounds on her face......................And today,she ran out 3 times and the postman was scard of her(because my neighbor had tied her on my gate)..........
So i close the gate to ensure she wont run out again.And then after 15 minutes,she went missing againI think she went out though the longkang........
Can anyone give me suggestion on how to deal with her......?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:15 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Somebody please give me tips on stopping her to run out from the house

hello! my dog tony likes to run out when i open the gate too, so now what we do is, everytime we are going to open the gate and drive out, we will chain him up first, then drive out the gate, then release him. same thing when we come home also. we'll stop in front of the gate, walk in and chain him up, and then only go back to the car and drive in and then lock up and release him. its a little inconvenient but better than having him run out and come back injured or go missing!!
Old 09-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Animal Lover

Default Re: Somebody please give me tips on stopping her to run out from the house

Thx 4 da suggestion!
Actualy I am doing this but she always tries a way to break her leash
She had bite broken 4 leash this week
Old 09-07-2008, 07:46 AM
PetFinder Buddy

baca882004 is on a distinguished road

Sometimes it's the dog's temperament. Some just loves the excitement of the visiting the world outside.

Buy iron-type chain loh. Definitely tie up before opening gate.

Also, trying to walk your dog regularly, like once or twice a day. Maybe, just maybe if you bring him/her out often enough, it's no more exciting to rush outside.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Animal Lover

ForPHiT^1 is on a distinguished road

My parents walk my dog once a day but he would still run out every time the gate is opened.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Animal Lover

I think i should buy chain
I didnt buy it last time coz i was afraid tat it was 2 heavy
But she just run out from the house jus now & tried 2 chase a malay man
She gave me no choice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00005.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	723   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00006.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	724  
Old 09-07-2008, 09:10 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

I think the chain is ok. Its only for a couple of minutes anyway. Just don't get such a thick heavy one maybe. I use a thin one. Only about 1cm thick. Good luck! Hope we've helped
Old 09-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road

Hi
can't resist giving my two cents here

perhaps you want to consider buying a body harness instead of a chain - it's more humane and it gives you better control of the dog (when you need to when reacting to sudden stimulus) plus it is "friendly" on the dog.

you know what? i think your dog is bored. what age is your dog? still a puppy? like they said, it's also to do with the temperament and characteristic of your dog.

if your parents stay home most of the time, try either parent to play with the dog (even simple stuff and throw and fetch at the compound) at least this will take away some boredom .

if you have trusted friends or relatives who are free during the day, perhaps you can arrange to have them come over to play with your dog, fuss over him,

another way is to keep the dog indoor this way, the dog's access to the "outside" world is "controlled".

let's hope it works, do keep us posted. we're also learning from you.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Animal Lover

Thx every1 for your suggestion~! I realy appreciated that!
Since my gate is an autogate , sometimes we will acidently pressed the button and flora will go " DASH!" or sometimes the remote control was lefted on the sofa and somebody sat on it .....................
She had 2 walks everyday . 1 in the morning & a short run in the evening. She always pant loudly even a short walk in the evening but she still loves 2 dash out everytime the gate is open........
She will not dash out at certain time onli ( in the afternoon or hot sunnny day )
.................................................. ................
Old 09-09-2008, 07:57 AM
PetFinder Buddy

baca882004 is on a distinguished road

OK, if that's the case. Have it occurred to you that your dog thinks this is a game? The dog thinks, "Oh Boy! Gate opens, I run out and owners will rush out, screaming and chasing me".

The other option you can try (no guarantee it works) is do training. I don't know the full mechanics of it, but probably U can hold her collar when U open the gate. Tell her "No" when she tries to rush out, then close the gate again. Then probably reward her when she does good.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:30 AM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road

oh yes, thanks baca for the suggestion....perhaps it's good that you take her for training...it also makes the bond between you and your pet stronger besides making for a less frustrating relationship because your dog tries to please you and you don't know what it wants...

i don't know where you reside but the ymca runs a dog training classes, not sure what are the charges but i can bet you it will be slightly lower than what is charged at "upscale" places.

just my two cents
Old 09-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Vivien Wuz Ere

Location: Earth - where every human beings have to live together with animals
vivienlpl is on a distinguished road

leash/tie them up first..........

or carry your car over without opening the gate

one of neighbour's dog also - the moment the gate open he will run out wildly
so dangerous....... worst part if i walked pass - i know for sure the dog will come after me... . So my normal walk, become automatically jogging/running
Old 09-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Animal lover

mew mew is on a distinguished road

My dog also the same, run out whenever open the gate. Now no more runnning out after a good "loud" scolding & lecture. He will only go out when I ask him to & comes back when I ask him to. Ehem...ehem..takes some training.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:46 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

every dog owner need give Interactive Basic Obedience, other else when need it, it never come.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Animal Lover

Apscen is on a distinguished road

Well, the most simply way but a bit heartless is to step on her paws eveytime she attempt to run out when the door open, ofcourse not too hard, but hard enough for her to feel pain, the next time you will see her give you a pity look and give up his move. i do it for my golden. its work!