Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Reviews, Notices & Stories > Hall of Shame

Hall of Shame There are lots of cruel and inconsiderate people out there. Expose their cruel deeds to the world and let them be shamed!

Old 10-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Animal Lover

rowentan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down IAMS A Recipe For Cruelty

Please look this link below
http://www.iamscruelty.com/introduction.asp

Dogs and cats are kept in cages and tortured. Their flesh are cut alive just to fulfil their experiments on their food. Pets are left to rot and die in cages without proper veterinary care.

Most of them go crazy due to being lonely in cage.

Please do your part and pledge not to buy IAMS pet food.

Thank you.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Animal Lover

Thumbs down IAMS A Recipe For Cruelty

Picked from:
http://www.iamscruelty.com/introduction.asp

Animals Still Suffer at Iams

Iams: A Recipe for Cruelty
For nearly 10 months in 2002 and early 2003, a PETA investigator worked undercover at Sinclair Research Center, a laboratory hired by Iams, and discovered a dark and sordid secret beneath the wholesome image of the dog- and cat-food manufacturer. Dogs had gone crazy because they were confined to barren steel cages and cement cells, dogs were left piled on a filthy paint-chipped floor after chunks of muscle had been hacked from their thighs, dogs were surgically debarked, and horribly sick dogs and cats were neglected and left in cages to suffer without any veterinary care.

Footage shows that Iams representatives toured the facility and witnessed dogs who were circling in their cells and sweltering in the summer heat. Iams knew the truth yet did nothing to protect the animals.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture investigated PETA's complaint and agreed that the laboratory had failed to provide veterinary care and pain relief to suffering animals, failed to provide animals with adequate space, and failed to train employees—along with nearly 40 other violations of the federal Animal Welfare Act. Sinclair Research Center paid a penalty of $33,000 for its violations.

After intense pressure from PETA and its supporters, Iams agreed to make the following significant changes in its testing program:
Iams bowed to pressure and severed its ties with Sinclair Research Center.
Iams ended all invasive and terminal experiments on dogs and cats.
Iams agreed to begin conducting humane in-home tests for palatability studies.
According to Iams, about 70 percent of the animals now in its tests reside at home with their families. In these studies, people volunteer their companion animals to participate in food and nutrition experiments from the comfort of their own homes. The human guardians can easily be trained to feed the animals and properly collect fecal and urine samples for laboratory analysis to determine the quality of the animal's food. "In-home" studies have been shown to work and have strong scientific support, as shown by the successful PetSci program, which was developed by Dr. Charles Abramson and Dr. Timothy Bowser of Oklahoma State University.

Even so, Iams still keeps up to 700 dogs and cats in its Dayton, Ohio, laboratory for non-invasive nutritional studies. They claim that this laboratory provides a decent environment for the animals, but they refuse to allow a PETA representative to see inside. Iams claims that some studies are too complex for in-home programs, but PETA urges Iams to collaborate with veterinary clinics for studies such as these. Veterinary clinics regularly see patients who suffer from ailments that a particular dog or cat food might help alleviate.

Iams has also refused to end invasive experiments on species other than dogs and cats. For one study, Iams gave Purdue University nearly $200,000 to conduct a two-year study in which experimenters taped the tails of mice to the tops of cages to keep their hind legs suspended in the air. This was done to cause muscular atrophy—the wasting away of muscle tissue. When PETA protested, the experiment was cut short.

Iams has also fought the release of information from a public university that had conducted a study funded by the company in which a painful disease was induced in dogs. What was Iams hiding?

Iams has made progress, but as an industry leader, it must send an even clearer message: No animal deserves the fate of those who remain in their laboratories. Safe, healthy cat and dog food does not require harming cats and dogs.

PETA continues to press Iams to ban conducting and funding invasive or terminal experiments on all species and to adopt 100 percent humane, non-invasive, and cage-free "in-home" testing, as many of Iams' compassionate competitors have done.

Until Iams agrees, we urge consumers to purchase dog and cat food from companies that do not test on animals. In the meantime, read about some other ways you can help the millions of animals every year who are abused and inadequately cared for?all in the name of research.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:17 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Re: Boycott IAMS Dog/Cat Food

Rowentan,
Thanks for you sharing information, All the dog food company have do the testing to the cat and dog. Only unfortunate IAMS got spy. They need to test the result for side affect, taste, and many more before in market.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Puppet Master~

chemonk is an unknown quantity at this point

noted~! skarang tanak beli dah (melainkan darurat). i'll change to RC plak... mahal sket pun lantak lah... huhuhu... pity to those poor fellas..
Old 10-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
Rowentan,
Thanks for you sharing information, All the dog food company have do the testing to the cat and dog. Only unfortunate IAMS got spy. They need to test the result for side affect, taste, and many more before in market.
Hi Dog is my buddy,
Yes, i know that all dog food company performs testing on cats and dogs. But IAMS went overboard as they cut their cats and dogs up alive just to take lab sample for testing. Usually pet food company will feed their experimental food to their pets. If they pass their test, then the food will be mass produced and sold. Cutting the animals up and leaving them to die is unnecessary.

A more humane way of testing is paying and giving out free food sample to breeders to test out. That way, dogs/cats won't have to be subjected to such inhumane treatement.

Anyway, my buddies are going for Raw Feeding. That means they can make up their own menu and don't need to feed kibbles to their pet. It's safer and much healthier for you pets too!
Old 10-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation
Default Re: IAMS A Recipe For Cruelty

OMG! Poor guys...

I've never bought Iams, anyway. Got a small trial packet from Petsmore some time ago, but my blackie refused to eat it, so that was that. maybe my blackie could sense the suffering and boycott their products....hehe.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:52 PM
.:: Baby, I dig you! ::.

Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia, World of Animal Lurve...
BabyZee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BabyZee

i've never like iams since i can't remember anymore but there was one time my bf accidently bought iams so what to do..
we let out babies finished it, well they don't like it that much but they're not the choosy type either..
when my babies was eating iams there were hardly changes on them and i also know about iams cruelty so after iams finished we changed to RC and my babies love it so much!
the smell of RC was much more nicer and it's not that oily than iams(in my opnion)..
i also could see changer in them, their fur are getting silkier and their poo less smelly...
so i didn't find any advantages in iams, so from there i think there's no need for iams in the first place..
about the cruelty they're doing, cutting animals into pieces are damn unnecessary..
you don't need to do any test until that extend, so lets boycott iams as it's proven that they are guilty!yeah...
Old 10-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default IAMS A Recipe For Cruelty

Never use IAMS and not intend to after reading this.good for your Blackie could sense his friends got cut into pieces to produce the food.he!!he!!

Why there's no publicity about this cruelty??

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
OMG! Poor guys...

I've never bought Iams, anyway. Got a small trial packet from Petsmore some time ago, but my blackie refused to eat it, so that was that. maybe my blackie could sense the suffering and boycott their products....hehe.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

ya lor, maybe when we are free, we can go sign up on every forum in the internet and post this thread there to create awareness......oops, is that called spamming???

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Never use IAMS and not intend to after reading this.good for your Blackie could sense his friends got cut into pieces to produce the food.he!!he!!

Why there's no publicity about this cruelty??
Old 10-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Vivien Wuz Ere

Location: Earth - where every human beings have to live together with animals
vivienlpl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
OMG! Poor guys...

so smart blackie...............yeah
should boycott if this actually happen..................
Old 10-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Animal Lover

Talking Re: IAMS A Recipe For Cruelty

Sorry to disappoint you BabyZee, but RC was the first company to get caught having excessive level of melamine in their pet food. You should try to switch to other brands or try mixing kibbles with other fresh raw food that you can buy from market. My buddy has been feeding 100% raw to his dog and risk of toxic contamination is very low.

Try stocking up some frozen dory fish if you don't have the time to go wet market. Cats love dory too!

Please look at the link here for more stories on RC http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0..._recall47.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyZee View Post
i've never like iams since i can't remember anymore but there was one time my bf accidently bought iams so what to do..
we let out babies finished it, well they don't like it that much but they're not the choosy type either..
when my babies was eating iams there were hardly changes on them and i also know about iams cruelty so after iams finished we changed to RC and my babies love it so much!
the smell of RC was much more nicer and it's not that oily than iams(in my opnion)..
i also could see changer in them, their fur are getting silkier and their poo less smelly...
so i didn't find any advantages in iams, so from there i think there's no need for iams in the first place..
about the cruelty they're doing, cutting animals into pieces are damn unnecessary..
you don't need to do any test until that extend, so lets boycott iams as it's proven that they are guilty!yeah...
Old 10-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Vivien Wuz Ere

Location: Earth - where every human beings have to live together with animals
vivienlpl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowentan View Post
Sorry to disappoint you BabyZee, but RC was the first company to get caught having excessive level of melamine in their pet food. You should try to switch to other brands or try mixing kibbles with other fresh raw food that you can buy from market. My buddy has been feeding 100% raw to his dog and risk of toxic contaminantion is very low.

Try stocking up some frozen dory fish if you don't have the time to go wet market. Cats love dory too!
i heard there was an article dory fish is no good as well...
Old 10-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Animal Lover

Thumbs up Re: IAMS A Recipe For Cruelty

BabyZee,
I recommend you this brand of cat food kibbles.
http://www.biljac.com/store/catmain.asp
I think it can out perform other off shelves brands in the market.
It's a bit more expensive and hard to find, but worth the effort.
Even though i don't have cats at home, both of my rescued dog are filled with skin disease and multiple health problems.. Feeding both of them this brand, the after result is they look like they've just arrived from a high quality breeder's home. Silky shine, soft coat of fur..

No other products has ever given me this kind of result before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyZee View Post
Old 10-24-2008, 10:25 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

hi rowentan,
you've touched on a topic that i've been going on and on about for years but hardly anyone has given a shit. inhumane animal testing. totally unnecessary and so common simply because its cheaper than the humane and kinder alternatives...

cruel animal tests are not necessary, even for products intended for animal use. the pet food industry does not need to torture animals in order to provide our pets with good nutrition. there are pet food brands that do not conduct these tests that are nutritionally superior to commonly purchased brands such as iams and royal canin. when the need for testing the efficacy of these products arises, there are safe and cruelty-free ways to do it.

if you haven't already, please read the article i wrote called Animal Suffering for Human Benefit. I also posted it in the hall of shame a few weeks back.

i'm glad that i've met a like-minded individual on this forum rowentan! thank you for your support in the fight against animal testing
Old 10-24-2008, 05:15 PM
.:: Baby, I dig you! ::.

Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia, World of Animal Lurve...
BabyZee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BabyZee

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint you BabyZee, but RC was the first company to get caught having excessive level of melamine in their pet food. You should try to switch to other brands or try mixing kibbles with other fresh raw food that you can buy from market. My buddy has been feeding 100% raw to his dog and risk of toxic contamination is very low.

Please look at the link here for more stories on RC http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0..._recall47.html
Quote:
BabyZee,
I recommend you this brand of cat food kibbles.
http://www.biljac.com/store/catmain.asp
I think it can out perform other off shelves brands in the market.
It's a bit more expensive and hard to find, but worth the effort.
Even though i don't have cats at home, both of my rescued dog are filled with skin disease and multiple health problems.. Feeding both of them this brand, the after result is they look like they've just arrived from a high quality breeder's home. Silky shine, soft coat of fur..

No other products has ever given me this kind of result before.
thanks rowentan..
but i forgot to add as most of the price increase in the pet foods, i've already changed my brand..
some more like what you said, about the petfood recall, i also changed because of that and now RC's reputation is not that good..
So rather than seeing my babies getting sick sooner or later, better i change now..
So now i'm feeding my babies Blackwood, it have alot of good recommendation from the forumers here but because last month at the petshop, there was no stock of Blackwood we switched to Blue Seal and it's quite the same as Blackwood too..
Old 10-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Puppet Master~

chemonk is an unknown quantity at this point

aiyo... IAMS banned.. nak tukar RC pun melamine plak... hurmmm <-- sambil jeling thread Blackwood
Old 10-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Animal Lover

Nachichan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Re: IAMS A Recipe For Cruelty

Oops
My dog is curently eating Iams n she ate RC once.
Now i dunno wat brand 2 buy....Still got lots of Iams pet food @ my home
Old 10-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Animal Lover

Cool Re: IAMS A Recipe For Cruelty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemonk View Post
aiyo... IAMS banned.. nak tukar RC pun melamine plak... hurmmm <-- sambil jeling thread Blackwood
Macam tu you try reduce kibbles dan campur sikit natural meat ler...
I sekarang mix to reduce risk..

Lagi satu, kalau bagi kibbles then easier to get allergy.. Mix kalau tak begitu senang allergy..
Old 10-25-2008, 10:36 PM
Animal Lover

Thumbs up Re: IAMS A Recipe For Cruelty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
hi rowentan,
you've touched on a topic that i've been going on and on about for years but hardly anyone has given a shit. inhumane animal testing. totally unnecessary and so common simply because its cheaper than the humane and kinder alternatives...

cruel animal tests are not necessary, even for products intended for animal use. the pet food industry does not need to torture animals in order to provide our pets with good nutrition. there are pet food brands that do not conduct these tests that are nutritionally superior to commonly purchased brands such as iams and royal canin. when the need for testing the efficacy of these products arises, there are safe and cruelty-free ways to do it.

if you haven't already, please read the article i wrote called Animal Suffering for Human Benefit. I also posted it in the hall of shame a few weeks back.

i'm glad that i've met a like-minded individual on this forum rowentan! thank you for your support in the fight against animal testing
Hi lynielime,
I totally agree with you. Instead of torturing pets, it's better to develop a more natural food and give out free samples instead of doing lab test. The animals will tell you wheter your food is good or not.
Also, what is good in lab does not necessarily be good for your pet in real life.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachichan View Post
Oops
My dog is curently eating Iams n she ate RC once.
Now i dunno wat brand 2 buy....Still got lots of Iams pet food @ my home
Hi Nanchichan,
Let your pet finish up the last of it and switch to other brands that don't do animal testing. If you can switch to raw feed for your pet, then it would be better. Do some research online, i'm sure it will help you decide what is best for your pet.