Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > PetFinder Lounge > Coffee Room

Coffee Room Gossip on the latest topics or just mingle around and enjoy the atmosphere!

Old 01-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Animal Lover

minnieymlim3 is on a distinguished road
Smile How I see it: The 2 sides of Puppy Mill

Howdy Animal Lovers,

Good Day to you all!!

I am so happy that more people are conscious about puppy mill and adoption drives. The awareness is making me so proud of all NGOs' efforts.

Way to go!!!

However, as much as I agree with the eradication of puppy mills, I might not totally agree with the total stopping of pedigree breeding. First of all, I would like to clarify that I am not a breeder and I am not opting to breed my puppy. However, I feel that there are still sincere and loving breeders (might be a minority) out there who are properly breeding their fur-kids so as to continue the line of "pride-and-joy". When issues of puppy mills are not conveyed accurately, these minority may be unfairly judged. I remember reading a post from a Facebook friend sometime ago about this matter. Now that we are more knowledgeable about issues of puppy mills, I am able to foresee breeders to be negatively affected.

Puppy mills are not only nightmare for poor and defenseless puppies, but also sincere animal lovers as well.

What do you think about this matter?

Let me know about your views

Disclaimer: I am not trying to pass on judgment on anyone or actions. This is sincerely an open discussion and I value your views. Discussions on topics may help to open up new solutions to problems =)
Old 01-23-2014, 06:12 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How I see it: The 2 sides of Puppy Mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnieymlim3 View Post
Now that we are more knowledgeable about issues of puppy mills, I am able to foresee breeders to be negatively affected.
Hi Minnie --

One of the trademarks of a responsible breeder is that he makes certain that he will be able to find excellent homes for the puppies or kittens he breeds before he even considers his next litter. He does not sell the animals to anyone who simply holds out the money, and he never, ever sells them to pet shops. Reputable breeders will screen potential buyers as carefully as adoption agencies placing human babies, because they want to be sure the animals go to loving, lifelong homes.

I'm not sure how awareness of puppy mills would negatively affect these folks. They are not interested in placing their animals with the sort of person who would just as happily buy from a pet shop.

My own opinion is that animal-lovers in Malaysia need to work on improving public opinion of the countless mixed-breed dogs and cats, on advocating adoption instead of sale. As long as people hold the misguided opinion that purebred animals are superior, the puppy-kitten mill horrors will continue.

It's an important topic -- thanks for starting the conversation!
Old 01-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Animal Lover

Hi Maneki Neko,

Thanks for your reply.

Very glad to hear that you are passionate about the importance of educating the public. We are on the right track already!!

PHP Code:
I'm not sure how awareness of puppy mills would negatively affect these folks. They are not interested in placing their animals with the sort of person who would just as happily buy from a pet shop. 
Regarding this matter, I am referring to the possible views and misunderstanding of public (if they are not properly knowledgeable on this matter) towards these breeders; which I hope they won't be labelled as "back-yard breeders" just because they are breeding their pedigrees. But like you say, perhaps they do not pay attention to these misjudgment. Just my personal view of possible unfairness towards them.

I have just brought my Cocker Spaniel from a breeder at a reasonable price, well below market price. From the way they react when I took the puppy from them, I know that they sincerely love their dogs very much. I am very happy to have brought my puppy from them.

Regarding your thoughts of mixed breed cats and dogs, I would also like to contribute a little thoughts on this matter. I feel that owners should take responsibility towards their cats or dogs so as not be impregnated or be the cause of it (lol, very bad choice of words). They should keep a close eyes on their pets or spay them if they can't allocate so much time for them. Not only certain mixed breed may cause health implications to the new-borns, this situations critically contributes to the spike of strays (also because of public views on them being mix breed).

I totally agree to the importance on the change of this crooked opinion

Just my thoughts~

Disclaimer: I am not trying to pass on judgment on anyone or actions. This is sincerely an open discussion and I value your views. Discussions on topics may help to open up new solutions to problems =)
Old 01-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Animal Lover

Hi Maneki Neko,

Thanks for your reply!!

I am so happy that more and more people are taking part in forums that discuss potential solutions for animals XD

Quote:
I'm not sure how awareness of puppy mills would negatively affect these folks. They are not interested in placing their animals with the sort of person who would just as happily buy from a pet shop.
About this matter, I just tend to feel unfairness to these breeders if they are viewed, judged or labelled as backyard breeders (by people who are not understanding puppy-mills correctly) just because they are breeding their pedigree. However, maybe you are right after all. They are not affected by these judgement if they believe in what they do & sincerity towards their pets.

I brought my Cocker Spaniel from a home breeder a month ago about less than half the price I can possibly get from pet shops. I can still remember how she always updated me on my puppy's progress when she was still too young to be sent to me. On the day we met, the owner's actions and words to my puppy are the best evidence that they actually care for their pets.

Quote:
My own opinion is that animal-lovers in Malaysia need to work on improving public opinion of the countless mixed-breed dogs and cats, on advocating adoption instead of sale. As long as people hold the misguided opinion that purebred animals are superior, the puppy-kitten mill horrors will continue.
Regarding this matter, I would also like to contribute my thoughts. I have always think that owners should be responsibly on their pets, in the sense that they should ensure that their pets' risk of getting impregnated or be the cause (not very good choice of words, lol) are minimised to the lowest level possible. Owners should neuter them if possible. This is because certain mix-breed may cause health issues to newborns, also contributing to increase in strays.