Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 02-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Animal Lover

sheepish cat is on a distinguished road
Question I'm a newbie. HELP.

Hi,
as u can read from my title, i'm a newbie. a forum newbie, and a cat owner newbie.

i have 5 kittens yang accidentally muncul out of nowhere kat rumah. and their age are arnd 3 weeks. still very2 young. and i'm planning to take care only 2 kittens out of 5. yang lagi 3 ekor my friends dah reserved.

anyway, my term of 'jaga kucing' bukan jaga yang macam sampai bawak tidur sumer. just provide food and shelter (strictly kat luar rumah je).

so skarang ni, i need help from all of you, since you guys are the experts in this field, on how to take care of kittens.

contoh macam..

1) what kind of food should i give to kittens
2) bila nak start bwk jumpa vet i.e vaccine and stuff..and is it really necessary?
3) boleh shampoo ke kittens yg very2 young?
4) apa do's and dont's untuk nak jaga kucing
5) and what kind of food boleh bagi kucing gemuk sikit (coz ada sekor tu kurus)
Old 02-09-2010, 04:25 PM
PetFinder Guru

Felix The Cat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I'm a newbie. HELP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepish cat View Post
Hi,
as u can read from my title, i'm a newbie. a forum newbie, and a cat owner newbie.

i have 5 kittens yang accidentally muncul out of nowhere kat rumah. and their age are arnd 3 weeks. still very2 young. and i'm planning to take care only 2 kittens out of 5. yang lagi 3 ekor my friends dah reserved.

anyway, my term of 'jaga kucing' bukan jaga yang macam sampai bawak tidur sumer. just provide food and shelter (strictly kat luar rumah je).

so skarang ni, i need help from all of you, since you guys are the experts in this field, on how to take care of kittens.

contoh macam..

1) what kind of food should i give to kittens
2) bila nak start bwk jumpa vet i.e vaccine and stuff..and is it really necessary?
3) boleh shampoo ke kittens yg very2 young?
4) apa do's and dont's untuk nak jaga kucing
5) and what kind of food boleh bagi kucing gemuk sikit (coz ada sekor tu kurus)
Hi....

Congratulations on becoming a cat slave
First of all the kittens are still very young as they are only 3 weeks old. They still need to be fed with milk. I geuss the mother is somewhere around. If not you will need to purchase a small feeding bottle from the pet shop as well as kitten milk and start feeding them. After feeding the kittens you will need to stimulate their bowel movements by rubbing softly near their private parts. Please wait for about half an hour to an hour after feeding.

I do believe that the kittens would be able to eat wet food around 1 month plus or so. You can just buy the Whiskas Junior and feed them. But I doubt it that they will eat the wet food as of now as they are still too young. When they are about 2 months plus or 3 months you can already start feeding them with kitten kibbles.

No you can't bathe the kittens as of yet. If they are super dirty, just take a cloth and wet it with warm water and wipe the kittens and then quickly dry them with a hair dryer to avoid them from catching a cold.

Good Luck!

Felix The Cat - Dee wonderful wonderful cat!
http://felixthecats.weebly.com
http://livinginmyworld-phyllis.blogspot.com/
Old 02-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Animal Lover

Thumbs up Re: I'm a newbie. HELP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Cat View Post

I do believe that the kittens would be able to eat wet food around 1 month plus or so. You can just buy the Whiskas Junior and feed them. But I doubt it that they will eat the wet food as of now as they are still too young. When they are about 2 months plus or 3 months you can already start feeding them with kitten kibbles.
yes, the mother is still around. i bought 'friskies for kittens' eventho the mother is still breastfeeding the babies. i guess the reason i bought it was for the mother (for now) more than for the babies. but it says to put in some water along so that the kibbles soften. but i still believe the mother's milk is the best so no worries abt that.

thank u felix the cat. any other tips u can share?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:46 PM
PetFinder Guru

Felix The Cat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepish cat View Post
yes, the mother is still around. i bought 'friskies for kittens' eventho the mother is still breastfeeding the babies. i guess the reason i bought it was for the mother (for now) more than for the babies. but it says to put in some water along so that the kibbles soften. but i still believe the mother's milk is the best so no worries abt that.

thank u felix the cat. any other tips u can share?
Thank God the mother is around as the little ones need their mum's milk to build up their antibody. Sorry to say that Friskies is not actually a good quality cat food. The mother cat needs to have lots of nutrients and since she is still breast feeding she will need lots of nutrients. There are lot of good quality kitten food to choose from e.g. Iams, RC, BW etc. Up to you to choose which is right for your budget

Felix The Cat - Dee wonderful wonderful cat!
http://felixthecats.weebly.com
http://livinginmyworld-phyllis.blogspot.com/
Old 02-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

One additional note about the high quality cat foods that Felix the Cat recommended:

Yes, they do cost more per kilo than Friskies, Whiskas, etc., but there's a good reason for that: The cheaper cat foods are mostly made of grains. Look at the list of ingredients, and the first one is usually corn or rice. Cats get virtually no nutrition from grains, they just feel full.

The first ingredient in the high quality cat foods is chicken, meat or fish.

If you feed your cats good food, you'll find that they eat MUCH less of it. Why? They get more nutrition from it, so they eat less. Second, you'll find fewer and smaller poops in the litter box. Why? The cats digest more, waste less.

At the end, the cost for the food will be about the same, because you'll feed less of the good food, and your cats will be much healthier!

Of course, there are Petfinder members who recommend feeding raw food rather than biscuit, but I'll let them talk about that.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Cat View Post
There are lot of good quality kitten food to choose from e.g. Iams, RC, BW etc. Up to you to choose which is right for your budget
Old 02-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Animal Lover

Red face Re: I'm a newbie. HELP.

wow..guys, thank u so much. a very helpful infos. will try to get a better food for the kitties.