Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 03-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Animal Lover

denden1224 is on a distinguished road
Smile Chihuahua- buy or not to buy??

Seriously need suggestion here...i currently have a medium size dog and she's really a good guard dog. I am still a student and i have this 3 months semester break. So i was planning whether to buy or not to buy chihuahua cause i am not sure 3 months time enough to potty train the dog or not...
after my break ends..my sister will still be at home to take over my place as she loves chihuahua and dogs too!

Reason for adding another dog :
+ having a toy dog or a dog that can be kept indoor is good as a company
+my dad is somehow having this depression and i heard ppl said chihuahua will be a good company. So i thought maybe he can bond with chihuahua and it will help his sickness...become less depress or else he usually alone at home and do nothing..keep sleeping cause he don like to socialize and always at his own room..so, chihuahua maybe can bond with him and teman him..
+ i wanted to babysit a chihuahua to try to see if my family members like this type of dog or not..especially my dad..if he likes, then only i will go buy. If i buy and they don like, it would be a waste of money and pity the chihuahua cause no 1 will love him...but none of my relatives or friends having this type of lovely dog!!

so, i really in need of opinions and suggestion now should i buy or not?

3 months enough to potty train him?
Old 03-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Animal Lover

Divas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chihuahua- buy or not to buy??

The thing about chihuahuas...

Chihuahua's are beautiful dogs but you must read up on the dogs character before you get one so that you can train it well. Chihuahua's are very temperamental and are constantly trying to dominate you... I have a chihuahua and a very well bred one... she's not aggresive at all but i've met plenty of chihuahuas that are... this is mainly because most owners do not know how to handle these dogs.
If you do get a chihuahua you'll have to be very firm with your training and must socialize the dog a lot (with people and dogs alike) or you'll be surprised that your chihuahua will end up bullying your medium sized dog and possibly nipping your friends in the heels. (I like to call chihuahuas chilli padi's!) Small but are little fighters...
Chihuahua's are very wary of strangers and can be very protective. They are usually fierce little pets when it comes to strangers, can and may end up barking at every little sound it hears... But they should never be aggressive.
A chihuahua is very good to have in a family but you have to establish a pack leader if you are to have one as very simply he/she will end up being the boss. Chihuahuas are not advised if you have young children in the house as they respond badly to teasing... (if the kids are calm and gentle then they have no problem)
As for potty training i believe you can do it in 3 months but the people around you have to reinforce your training or it will all just go to waste...
(Crate training is usually the easiest way to train your dog, http://www.perfectpaws.com/crt.html)
Chihuahuas are playful and lovable dogs... they always want your attention and sometimes they're just happy being alone and chewing on their bones/rawhides.
There are many dogs for u to choose from... your idea to get a companion for your dad is great but like you said u want to make sure you get the right dog... :) Go to www.akc.org/breeds and you can find out their rough temperament... if you'd like one in detail i can also write out a list for you so u know what you're getting into... :)
Hope this helps...
Old 03-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Animal Lover

Hey, thanks so much! It really helps a lot by reading ur reply... I am more than glad if u can list them out for me
Old 03-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Animal Lover

can u please add me in my msn? I have already PM-ed u my contact...thanks a lot =)
Old 03-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Animal Lover

Divas is on a distinguished road

Already added... :) divapetgrooming@gmail.com