Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 10-03-2008, 01:21 AM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road
Smile Breed Profile : BURMESE

(the following article is extracted from The Cat Fanciers Assocation www.cfa.org)

Breed Profile: Burmese

In the early 1930’s, Dr. Joseph Thompson of San Francisco acquired an attractive walnut-brown female from Burma which he named Wong Mau. Through selective breeding to Siamese, it was established that the Burmese is a distinct breed. Lighter colored kittens were occasionally produced and eventually the American breeders requested recognition from CFA for these “dilute” colors; first, as another breed named Malayan, then later as a dilute division of Burmese. The four colors recognized by CFA are: sable, champagne, blue and platinum.

Burmese carry surprising weight for their size and have often been described as “bricks wrapped in silk.” Their coats are very short, satin-like in texture, and generally require little grooming other than daily petting. There is a range in Burmese head and body type; the more compact cats with the rounder heads are seen in the show ring. Burmese have large, expressive eyes that are great pools of innocence and seductive appeal, irresistible in effect. These eyes are their most persuasive weapon in an arsenal of endearing traits that mask an awesome power to hypnotize their owners into life-time love affairs through which they effortlessly rule their families.

As kittens, Burmese are quite lively. They often seem clumsy when they attempt feats beyond their capabilities and land on their rears with solid little thumps. They will be playful well into adulthood. As Burmese grow, their high intelligence emerges and their own individual personalities start to unfold. They mature into charming, resolute executives who move in and take over a household, running it efficiently with those big eyes and a velvet paw. If encouraged, many Burmese converse with their humans, using soft, sweet voices (they are neither loud nor raucous). They are good with children, will tolerate the family dog, and if introduced to it at an early age as something pleasant, most will enjoy traveling in a car.

Burmese are extremely people-oriented; their personalities are almost dog-like in a tendency to shadow their owners and in a desire to give and receive affection. Many Burmese have delighted their “humans” by learning to retrieve. They love warm laps and caressing hands and enjoy cuddling up in bed either under the covers or on top of their favorite persons. They delight in helping to manage the house. Some of their favorite chores are assisting with paper work or reading (by sitting on top of the material), or going into cupboards (to demonstrate where things ought to be). Typically, Burmese are always with people. The females tend to request center stage and take an active role in ruling the household. The males prefer to supervise from the lap position, are more laid back and less opinionated. If emotionally slighted by their owner’s obtuseness, Burmese may sulk, but, fortunately, not for long. Burmese often convert the most anti-cat person into a Burmese enthusiast. Be forewarned! They can be addictive, and like potato chips, you may find you cannot have just one. Many people find the complete Burmese experience is to have one of each sex or perhaps two (or more) colors.

Burmese should never be let outdoors as they are entirely too trusting and have little, if any, survival instinct. Their idea of survival is to turn their soulful eyes on you to attend to all their needs. This does not work for catching food, fighting off enemies or avoiding cars.

A Burmese should be purchased only from a reputable breeder; avoid pet shops. It is advisable to visit the breeder’s home to observe the conditions in which the litter is being raised. While breeders differ in their methods, the environment should be clean and relatively odorless. The kittens should be energetic, curious, and easily handled. They should also appear healthy, as should all the cats in the breeder’s home. Check for clear eyes and noses, clean ears and healthy-looking coats. A breeder should guarantee the health of the kitten or cat for a reasonable length of time, provide registration papers (often after the kitten has been altered), discuss care, and be available to answer questions.

Pricing on Burmese usually depends on type, applicable markings and bloodlines distinguished by Grand Champion (GC), National or Regional winning parentage (NW or RW) or of Distinguished Merit parentage (DM). The DM title is achieved by the dam (mother) having produced five CFA grand champion/premier (alter) or DM offspring, or sire (father) having produced fifteen CFA grand champion/premier or DM offspring. Usually breeders make kittens available between twelve and sixteen weeks of age. After twelve weeks, kittens have had their basic inoculations and developed the physical and social stability needed for a new environment, showing, or being transported by air. Keeping such a rare treasure indoors, neutering or spaying and providing acceptable surfaces (e.g. scratching posts) for the natural behavior of scratching (CFA disapproves of declawing or tendonectomy surgery) are essential elements for maintaining a healthy, long and joyful life.

There are CFA clubs devoted to the promotion, protection and preservation of the Burmese breed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	burmese 1gif.gif
Views:	90
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burmese 2.gif
Views:	95
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burmese 3.gif
Views:	84
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burmese 4.gif
Views:	92
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burmese 5.gif
Views:	97
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1065  

Old 10-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Puppet Master~

chemonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Breed Profile : BURMESE

Burmese ROCKs~!!!!... {vict ory}
Old 10-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Banned

hi chemonk

not only burmese rocks but our own Domestic cats rock too! why do i say that? i was hoping to raise awareness that the criterias that pedigree cats are judged on, such as colour, fur, etc, our domestic cat aka kucing kampung also possess to a large extent.

i'm sure many of us here can say " hey, that's my cat", hey, my cat has burmese root, etc.

therefore lineage or pedigree do not matter that much - a cat is a cat no matter what - right?
Old 10-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Puppet Master~

chemonk is an unknown quantity at this point

agreed... but based on your article here.. i really like the personality of burmese... i like the fact that this cat love to be at home rather than outside.. hehehehe.... senang sikit nak jaga.. hahahah
Old 10-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Banned

yeah, their personality makes it a good reason for the owner to keep the cat indoor as the way it should be
Old 10-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Breed Profile : BURMESE

yeah,my Bluey believe to Burmese (according to our guru Ashley ) likes to stay at home and glue to me,my sis or my mum.kita tido dia tido,kita bangun dia bangun.eh,my own cats in KL are not like that.mlm time for them to party.bringing down the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleywong View Post
yeah, their personality makes it a good reason for the owner to keep the cat indoor as the way it should be
Old 10-09-2008, 10:19 AM
PetFinder Guru

Celis is on a distinguished road

European burmese(Euburm) is one of my favourite short hair cat...love the affection for humans and capability of being an ultimate lapcat...
Old 11-29-2010, 09:05 PM
PetFinder Guru

Marcelleve is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve
Thumbs up Re: Breed Profile : BURMESE

Meet Ashanta, she is 4 months and there are 2 kinds of Burmese:
She is an example of blue European Burmese but the bigger head is American Burmese.
They have 'dog-like' personalities.
One of them is you can play fetch without training them.
They like to observe their surroundings.
Every morning, Ashanta will click her cheeks in the balcony when birds are around.
They want to be close with you and quite clingy.
They are not noisy but they like to listen and reply to your conversation.
You must need a cat translator when having conversation with these cats.
For instance, Ashanta..she likes her water fresh or her litter box is not clean or her paws are soiled by dirt (she makes a big 'meow'), someone at the door (medium 'meow') and she wakes you up with a soft meow in your ear or need to play.
She growls if she don't like her food or there is a roach went inside the room. But never she use her paw to claw anyone even to me (during bath session) - only when she attacks the bird last week and beetle this morning.

Name:	about 10 mins or so on how to open this door.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	10396 trying to open the carriage about 10 mins or so

Name:	DSC00393.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	10397 fetching her toy

Name:	DSC00392.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	10398 playing fetch - she just like fetching

Name:	watching watching TV about 15 mins or so sitting still same-wowww.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	10399 likes to watch TV she didn't move about 20 mins.

Name:	more talking and listening.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	10400 Burmese are 100% smart and lap cats.