Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > PetFinder Lounge > Coffee Room

Coffee Room Gossip on the latest topics or just mingle around and enjoy the atmosphere!

Old 11-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road
Default Melamine Entering The Food chain - Through animal feed

updated in CNN - November 3, 2008 -- Updated 0513 GMT (1313 HKT)

(CNN) -- Still reeling from news of melamine-tainted eggs and dairy, China launched a massive inspection into animal feed manufacturers -- seizing more than 3,500 tons of tainted feed, state-run media reported Sunday.
Poultry products, including eggs, may be contaminated with melamine through animal feed.

The Agriculture Ministry deployed 369,300 agricultural experts and law enforcement personnel to inspect 250,400 animal feed producers and farms, the Xinhua news agency reported.
Wang Zhicai, the ministry's director of husbandry and livestock, said the inspectors confiscated and destroyed 3,682 tons of melamine-tainted feed, shut down 238 feed producers and investigated 278 other companies and farms suspected of illegal activity, Xinhua reported.
Some 22,700 batches of animal feed were checked for melamine and nearly 98 percent met government standards, Xinhua reported, citing the Agriculture Ministry.
It remains unclear how much tainted feed has entered the food chain.
In the aftermath of the melamine-tainted milk scandal, "there has been a national focus on the discovery of melamine in animal feed and its component ingredients, and there have been particular movements to achieve quality and safety in animal feed," Wang said, according to Xinhua. Watch more about the tainted food scandal »
Wang said the ministry issued a rule in June 2007 that banned the use of melamine in feed production, Xinhua reported.
Don't Miss

However, the state-run Nanfang Daily published an investigative story last week, saying that adding melamine into animal feed has become an "open secret."
The report said adding melamine into feed started in the aquatic farming industry five years ago, as a way of faking higher protein levels. It then spread into other agro-industries, including poultry.

Learn more about chemical melamine »

Two years ago, reports revealed pet food exported from China to the United States was spiked with melamine and had sickened and killed dogs.
Several weeks ago, the food scandal spread to milk, biscuits and candies. Then, it was tainted eggs. So far, no illnesses or deaths have been linked to eggs.

Tests in Hong Kong in October showed eggs exported by a Chinese company are contaminated with excessive levels of melamine. In recent days, three other brands of eggs have also been found to contain the chemical.
Ingesting melamine in large doses over an extended period of time could cause kidney stones and other illnesses, though small amounts pose no such danger, agriculture and health experts say.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:18 PM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Melamine Entering The Food chain - Through animal feed

Produce, Products from China is a NO NO for me at the moment!!!
Before I buy, I will now read the label!

But where do our egg-farms get their feeds from??? Not China, I hope!

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com
Old 11-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillylupie View Post
Produce, Products from China is a NO NO for me at the moment!!!
Before I buy, I will now read the label!

But where do our egg-farms get their feeds from??? Not China, I hope!
No, Bina, you don't only watch out for products from China ... you need to watch out for products from all over the world because one way or the other, there will be an ingredients sourced from China ... China is such a big sourcer, almost every product from non-China countries are affected. You need to check the batches affected from the published list which is updated all the time.

Mars, Khong Guan, Maggi (the baking agent sourced from China) are not China products but certain batches of their products have been identified as having sourced a contaminated ingredient from China, sometimes it is a very small ingredient.

Other countries are very, very strict in enforcing the recalls, but unfortunately that is not the case in Malaysia. Here we are sibuk mengenai who should be PM. Many, many are still on the shop shelves selling like nobody's business.

Yes, dulu in 2007 was the big hoo-hah discovering it in pet food, but now it has even entered the human food chain.

Adoi! Check the list diligently. I am very happy my Ideal evaporated milk has been cleared so far. Tapi you need to check all the time for updates. I do not know what milk our kedai kopi use, so tak berani minum teh/kopi dengan susu outside!

Tak berani makan ais krim, biskut, other confectionaries, yesterday kat pasar one big van jual persimmons from China, very, very sweet the tokay kata ... my hati said, "Thanks, but no thanks!"

Kena masak kat rumah oredi, so that you have better control over all the ingredients! Very, very serious that melamine has now entered the human food chain!
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies

Last edited by FurKids; 11-03-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:32 PM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road

Masak kat rumah ?? Hmmmmmm.........
Maybe I'll just eat ocean fish, nasi and cucumber, can't think of anything else to eat.

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com
Old 11-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road

Hi furkids

you know what? I have absolutely forgotten about the kedai kopitiam and mamak stalls - alamak! wait - i only take neslo kosong and milo kosong - hope that's safer...

i used to diligently check the FSH website for updates but noticed that they don't really name ingredients that are not "okay" while other countries do named ingredients that are not okay...so in the end i dropped that habit of checking FSH first thing in the morning. i must have missed that part about Maggi mee - and my office has stocked lots of Maggi!

you're right, not only products imported directly from china but from all around as china is a major exporter due to their "cheap product cost".

hopefully melamine is not found in fertilizer, if not then our vegetables will be risk contamination and then in the end, we can just eat "south-west" wind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post

Mars, Khong Guan, Maggi (the baking agent sourced from China) are not China products but certain batches of their products have been identified as having sourced a contaminated ingredient from China, sometimes it is a very small ingredient.

Tapi you need to check all the time for updates. I do not know what milk our kedai kopi use, so tak berani minum teh/kopi dengan susu outside!

Tak berani makan ais krim, biskut, other confectionaries, yesterday kat pasar one big van jual persimmons from China, very, very sweet the tokay kata ... my hati said, "Thanks, but no thanks!"

Kena masak kat rumah oredi, so that you have better control over all the ingredients! Very, very serious that melamine has now entered the human food chain!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Puppet Master~

chemonk is an unknown quantity at this point

singapore media release...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CONSUMERADVISORYUPDATEONPRODUCTSDETECTEDTOCONTAINM.pdf (1.56 MB, 155 views)
Old 11-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Puppet Master~

chemonk is an unknown quantity at this point

ada lagi... this one.. regarding redbull drinks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RedBullHDrink.pdf (68.4 KB, 129 views)
Old 11-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemonk View Post
ada lagi... this one.. regarding redbull drinks
I don't drink redbull, neither do my FurKids ... heheheheheeeee!!!!!
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies