Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your dog's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 09-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Animal Lover

feltan is on a distinguished road
Default My Golden diagnosed with Hip Dysplasia

My Golden was diagnosed with hip dysplasia yesterday after she suffered from severe pain and hardly able to stand up yesterday evening when I came back from work. She was still active and happy in the morning when we were walking around our neighbourhood.
I know hip dyplasia is common in Golden but I did not expect she got it at this tender age of 8 mths young.
The vet said may be because I played with her too much of jumping on hard surface and sometimes wet floor.
I want to know any one of you has a dog with hip dysplasia and can you share with me how to take care of her. She still seems under severe pain today. The vet has prescribed her some pain killers and Glucosamine.
Hope to hear from the exprienced members.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:53 PM
PetFinder Guru

MidnightMaiden is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My Golden diagnosed with Hip Dysplasia

Hi Feltan,

Hip Dysplacia is in large part a genetic disease; so first of all, don't feel bad because she would've been predisposed to this no matter how you take care of her.

Here's a good article on how best to take care of a dog with hip dysplacia:
http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2084&aid=444

Hope you'll find it useful. I'm sorry this had to happen to her a 8 months

Hug your Golden for me, she sounds lovely.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:14 PM
User Account Terminated

Jeffrey Read is an unknown quantity at this point

It is very sad that these things still do happen. The cycle keeps repeating itself and it seems like there is no end to it.

However, I do hope someone would step up and create a database of such breeders. This database would simply be an early warning system of sort to inform would be new pet owners which breeders to avoid in Malaysia, which everyone can refer to.

The database could serve on a national level and this would ultimately see the improvement of breed standards. Otherwise, such breeders will continue to get away with it and the pet lovers continue ending up with nothing but heartaches. Feltan, do not believe everything the vet said for it was NEVER your fault.

Since to qualify as a backyard breeder is very easy in Malaysia, it is the duty of the database to increase the quality of pets genetically over time by forcing backyard breeders to improve breeding standards. Its shape up or ship out!

Of course, this database MUST never have online ads with pets for sale as that would only contradict its purpose. Doubt this database would ever go down well with such breeders. Only wish I was more computer literate or internet savvy.

When the educated buying starts, the uneducated breeding stops!!!

Last edited by Jeffrey Read; 09-06-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Pet Epicurean

aliciahorsley is on a distinguished road

Dear Feltan

My own dog Tristan, a standard poodle, dislocated his hip about three weeks ago. X rays reveal hip dysplasia too.

Firstly, please do not blame yourself for your dog's condition. It is a genetic problem. And with proper management and good diet, you can mediate the severity of the sympotoms. Tristan is 2.5 years old and prior to his injury would swim, run and climb like a mountain goat. We walked everyday a minimum of 3km and sometimes up to ten. He was agile, happy and comfortable. BUt one unlucky day, when it was raining, he slipped as he was jumping into the car and the hip just gave. I spent two week cursing my stupidity but as PP have mentioned, it simple wouldn't have dislocated if he had been normal.

The local vet are recommending FHE which means they will cut of the ball of the femur and pin the leg into the hip. Another of my dogs had this done to him for a dislocated hip due to a bad fall (no dysplasia). He is a Great Dane, and very big so he wasn't a great candidate for the surgery to begin with but it saddens me to watch him everyday. He still suffers pain and walks and runs with a limp.

So i have a few questions for you.
  1. Have you had x rays done?
  2. Is the damage unilateral or bilateral?
  3. What has the doctor suggested you do for your dog?

Please don't give up. There are options and things you can do to help your dog. However, i fully understand your pain and panic. I was and still am there.
Our pets eat PINK raw food