Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 01-03-2011, 12:44 PM
CATSS & ANIMALS LOVER

farrahnize is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to farrahnize
Default Spay or neuter...any other way?

Hi furry friends forumers...would like to ask if there's any other way to prevent cat from pregnant beside spaying or neutering cats..I've got 3 female cats that i think need to be neutering ASAP...But in mean time to wait for neutering date appointment i need to to something to prevent them from pregnant coz i already got 13 cats..Plz gimme an advices...thanks pals
Old 01-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spay or neuter...any other way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrahnize View Post
Hi furry friends forumers...would like to ask if there's any other way to prevent cat from pregnant beside spaying or neutering cats..I've got 3 female cats that i think need to be neutering ASAP...But in mean time to wait for neutering date appointment i need to to something to prevent them from pregnant coz i already got 13 cats..Plz gimme an advices...thanks pals
Hi, Farrahnize --

Thank you for wanting to spay your 3 female cats. They'll be healthier afterward, and it sounds like you don't need any more kitties in your house! :-)

As for what you can do to keep them from getting pregnant between now and their spay appointments, the safest thing is to keep them enclosed if they come into heat.

I've read other forumers' comments about some sort of birth control pill for cats. It sounds like it should only be used for a short time period, as it can cause liver damage. I would certainly talk to your vet before using anything like that. I hope some other forumers who know more about it will speak up here...

Good luck to you and your cats!
Old 01-03-2011, 04:53 PM
... ... ...

naddy is on a distinguished road

For short term in preventing female cat to get pregnant usually i go to government clinic vet to give them an injection or shot. It cost around rm15 per shot. Try to ask government vet clinic around your area.

The shot will be effective for 6 months. But this is only temporary and for short term only to prevent unwanted pregnancy of the cat. Usually i give this shot to my cats back at hometown since they don't have spayed and neuter procedure in that area.

Gud luck
Old 01-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Animal Lover

phatgurl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddy View Post
For short term in preventing female cat to get pregnant usually i go to government clinic vet to give them an injection or shot. It cost around rm15 per shot. Try to ask government vet clinic around your area.

The shot will be effective for 6 months. But this is only temporary and for short term only to prevent unwanted pregnancy of the cat. Usually i give this shot to my cats back at hometown since they don't have spayed and neuter procedure in that area.

Gud luck
Naddy, does the shot helps to curb them from heat (making sound, rolling on floor, etc) or only to prevent them from being pregnant if mating occured? we planned to send KiKi for a jab to prohibit her making the "auw auww" sound every month.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatgurl View Post
Naddy, does the shot helps to curb them from heat (making sound, rolling on floor, etc) or only to prevent them from being pregnant if mating occured? we planned to send KiKi for a jab to prohibit her making the "auw auww" sound every month.
Phatgurl, as Naddy said, the jab is only for short-term. 6 months. Used for longer time periods, it will cause liver damage to your cat. Spaying is still the best thing for the cat's health and your peace.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:54 AM
... ... ...

phatgurl - yup the injection will stop her from making 'orchestra' and rolling around also butt lifting during heat cycle for 6 month, because this injection will lower the hormone...but in longer effect, if taken continuously it will have effect to your cat. This shot is only gud if you planned to spayed but the time is not right yet. etc: cat is sick, work schedule, money constrain, appointment, catshow, and personal problems.

Anyway gud luck in preventing Kiki from meeting 'abg sayang' during this heat cycle. My cat also in heat cycle...all those singing and rolling make me crazy luckily i will taking her to be spayed this weekend....

Maneki Neko: yup, maneki neko is right. Spayed always the best choice for long term.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Animal Lover

phatgurl is on a distinguished road

Naddy - thanks for your explaination. My hubby already sent her for a jab at Hill's Clinic just now after I told him about it. Hopefully it was the right one because the doctor said even with that jab, there's still tendency of getting pregnant if the cat's hormone is high (dunno what he really meant). I thought it will straight away curb their "menggatal" feeling... hrmmm. I'm just not convince with that doctor Too bad our usual vet is closed today.

Maneki - we already planned to send her for spaying but since I'm currently pregnant, my mother-in-law adviced us to hold on first until the baby is delivered just to be "safe". I feel so sorry for KiKi though... hope she's gonna be fine. Quite worried with the side effect... huhuhu.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:03 PM
... ... ...

Phatgurl, it do has still chances getting pregnant because the what the jab do is decrease the hormone of the female cat. The dose is the same for all size of cat, but sometimes like humans, cats are different in one another so sometimes in smaller cases if the hormone in that cat is way too high that the jab wont be effective enough to prevent pregnancy or symptoms of heat. But still the chances of the cat to get pregnant is low, around 10% only. Symptom dia tengah mengatal pun supposed to be gone.

I know, to be on safe side it's maybe not to spayed the cat during your pregnancy. Orang tua-tua berpesan. Anyway Kiki should be fine now with no more rolling or meowing.....
Old 01-06-2011, 01:00 PM
CATSS & ANIMALS LOVER

farrahnize is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to farrahnize

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddy View Post
phatgurl - yup the injection will stop her from making 'orchestra' and rolling around also butt lifting during heat cycle for 6 month, because this injection will lower the hormone...but in longer effect, if taken continuously it will have effect to your cat. This shot is only gud if you planned to spayed but the time is not right yet. etc: cat is sick, work schedule, money constrain, appointment, catshow, and personal problems.

Anyway gud luck in preventing Kiki from meeting 'abg sayang' during this heat cycle. My cat also in heat cycle...all those singing and rolling make me crazy luckily i will taking her to be spayed this weekend....

Maneki Neko: yup, maneki neko is right. Spayed always the best choice for long term.
The rest of my cats already spayed/neutered...n it's a pity when they make frustrated n tension face when our neighbour cats come to our house seduce this 3 'anak dara'.N worst they make us crazy when they keep on spaying 'killer pesticid' everywhere include in my shoes...
Thanks for the option u guys give me...already refer to gov vet n i can bring them tomorrow...thanks guys..