Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > PetFinder Lounge > Coffee Room

Coffee Room Gossip on the latest topics or just mingle around and enjoy the atmosphere!

Old 05-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation
Thumbs up Rescuers featured in NST

Hi Guys,

Congratulations to Yen (Acsyen), Molly (Mbless), Rena and Toh on being featured in New Straits Times today!

Keep up the good work!

Below is the article for your convenience:

Quote:
They call themselves 'independent pet rescuers', often spending their free time and own money to rescue animals in distress. MEERA MURUGESAN finds out why they find this rewarding.

CLIMBING down manholes, crawling through drains or cleaning up dog pooh is hardly anyone's idea of a good time.

But for one group of animal lovers, such activities are part and parcel of daily life and they're not even complaining.

Driven by love and compassion for animals and a need to put those feelings into action, these committed individuals who call themselves "independent pet rescuers" are willing to be on the frontline when it comes to helping animals in distress.

And if this means having to crawl into a drain to rescue a stranded kitten, brave a heavy downpour to reach a stray dog or open their homes to unwanted pets, this group of volunteers are more than willing to do it.
Working on their own time and frequently forking out their own money, they rescue stray animals, have them neutered and re-homed.

They also help find new homes for pets which are abandoned or can no longer be cared for by their owners.

For Rena Chang, one such volunteer, her involvement in rescue work started in 2002 when she came across two dogs abandoned outside her office in Jalan Ledang, Kuala Lumpur.

Knowing that it would be difficult for the dogs to find food in that area, Chang was determined to find them a home.

The two mongrels, or "local pedigrees" as Chang likes to call them, had obviously belonged to someone as they were friendly. Chang was able to find good homes for both dogs.

A few days later, when she was having a drink at a restaurant, she noticed another stray dog, this one limping. When she approached it, the dog walked up to her and licked her leg.

"It was almost as if it could sense that I was an animal lover and I certainly couldn't turn my back on that dog either," she said.

Moved by the plight of such animals, Chang decided to spend her free time finding such animals new homes and she soon discovered that her passion and enthusiasm was shared by others, many of whom were already involved in similar work.

Independent or individual pet rescuers are people who are willing to spend their time and money to rescue and re-home unwanted animals and in the Klang Valley, these people include those of all ages and professions, ranging from teachers and homemakers to office workers employed in areas like IT, accounting and advertising.

"Everyone is in it because they love animals and can't walk away when they see one in pain or distress. We do pool our resources whenever necessary. For example, when we get donations, we share them with each other," said Chang.

Despite the fact that many volunteers are working people, they still make time for rescue work whenever necessary or help in any other way they can.

Many rescuers are also women and they're willing to get their hands dirty if that is what it takes to get the job done, said Chang.

"We once had to rescue a dog trapped in a manhole and it involved heavy digging. The female rescuers worked from morning till evening to get it done," she said.

There are no "buts" in rescue work if you claim to be an animal lover, said Cheah Siew Yen, another volunteer.

The customer service representative has been rescuing and re-homing strays since her schooldays, when dogs used to show up for scraps at her mother's food stall in Penang.

Many strays were once people's pets and that is the saddest and most frustrating thing for many rescuers to face, said Cheah.

"Very often, these animals are abandoned when their owners can no longer handle them or are unwilling to foot medical bills," she explained.

Even pedigree dogs are not spared such treatment. Some owners purchase them as puppies but are unable to provide proper care as they grow and these dogs end up being passed from one owner to another.

"There are always excuses, like they didn't expect the dog to grow so big or be so active, or require so much grooming. Once they can't handle it, people just want these pets off their hands and the animals suffer," said Cheah.

Tasha, an adorable mixed breed that Cheah rescued after it was thrown into a dustbin, is now one of three dogs that she owns. She also has several other rescued dogs that are available for adoption.

Volunteers often keep these rescued dogs in their own houses, feeding and cleaning them and having their medical problems attended to until responsible new owners can be found, said Molly Brown.

The homemaker and mother of three boys is a rescuer who takes in dogs which owners can no longer care for.

Brown ensures that these dogs get proper care and even receive basic training at her home until they can be sent to responsible new owners.

"Being animal lovers, this is very rewarding work and we don't count every sen that we spend on these animals. We do it because we love them and the reward is seeing them happy and settled with new owners who adore them," said Brown.

Brown, who's also a volunteer with Paws, once came across a Golden Retriever whose limbs were so badly deformed because it had been kept in a tiny cage for so long.

The neglect or abandonment of pets happens when people don't give a thought to whether they can really care for a pet or what its needs will be before they take it into their homes, said Toh Cheng See, a professional animal trainer who provides advice on training and handling of dogs to the rescuers.

Toh said many abandoned pets or abused strays suffer from stress and may initially have trouble adjusting to humans.

But with training and proper handling and owners who are willing to give them a chance, these animals can recover and become good family pets once again, she said.

"If you treat them right and give them love, they will always reciprocate. That is the way of animals."

Source: New Straits Times
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NST_1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	29   Click image for larger version

Name:	NST_2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	30  

Last edited by AndyKoh; 05-29-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:16 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Re: Rescuers featured in NST

Thanks you inform.well done to all, those dogs have a hope.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:10 AM
CEO, EzerNET

Ezer has disabled reputation

Congrats guys! You deserve all the credits lor.. for being such nice friendizens of the world...

And thanks for participating in PetFinder.my. Hopefully we can help more animals find loving homes...
Old 07-23-2008, 12:33 AM
PetFinder Buddy

RoyBlue is on a distinguished road

ITU DIA!!!! MOLLY and CHENG SEE!!! right on!!! Keep up the good work ladies!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:58 PM
PetFinder Buddy

ChewChew1987 is on a distinguished road

Good job good job!!! I hope through the article, more people will be aware of this site and more dogs will be adopted by good family.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:21 PM
PetFinder Wowwow

vivi is on a distinguished road

Wow 1st time saw this.
Eventhough already past half year hope it's still not late to say
GOOD WORK GUYS! I AM AMAZED!
Keep up the good work.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Well done, Molly! You saved poor Sheeba too, didn't ya?
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies