Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your dog's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 06-25-2009, 05:10 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Re: Warning - Do NOT Feed These Foods to Your Dog

I gave to my dogs papaya before it safe. rambutan take many will feel hot body, i think it might effect to dog as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashy View Post
I thought apple flesh is ok, just apple seeds are bad due to the cyanide content?
Btw anyone know the status on rambutan, papaya and local fruits? Cuz its rambutan season soon and doggie will want a share

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.

Last edited by dog is my buddy; 06-25-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Animal Lover

weetingtan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
Apple seeds, cherry pits, peach pits, pear pips, plums pits, and apricot pits contain cyanide, which is poisonous. While a few apple seeds may not cause a problem, the effects can accumulate over time if they are given to dogs regularly. Dogs should not be allowed to chew on a peach pit, cherry pit, apricot pit, or plum pit. Chewing can allow ingestion of cyanide. Chewing could also result in the pit being swallowed, causing continuous exposure to cyanide, or could cause the dog to choke,

for your question,is Yes

Apple seeds contain cyanides which can and does build up in a dogs system.
-frothing at the mouth

- dyspnea

- hyperexcitability

- seizures, tonic‑clonic

- struggling

- additional reported signs include:

- respiratory depression, severe

- bradypnea - decreased breathing rate

- loss of consciousness

- coma and death

- miosis - different sized pupils

- conjunctival cyanosis - blue mucous membranes

Cyanide poisoning can some times be detected by a distinct bitter almond smell, but only a certain percentage of humans are able to detect this smell. Diagnosis is often made based on biopsy of the liver, unfortunately its typically found too late.
Hi,

I do remove those apple's seed before giving it to my Heidi.. is that alright by that way??
Old 06-29-2009, 03:07 PM
PetFinder Moderator

no seed, chance get food poison getting low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weetingtan View Post
Hi,

I do remove those apple's seed before giving it to my Heidi.. is that alright by that way??

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:04 PM
PetFinder Buddy

monkee94 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to monkee94

I've been feeding my dog apples for the past few monthes!!!will there be any side effects??she seems fine but how can i detect any problems with her??
Old 06-29-2009, 11:04 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkee94 View Post
I've been feeding my dog apples for the past few monthes!!!will there be any side effects??she seems fine but how can i detect any problems with her??
From internet said as below, since your dog still safe. Need check isn't true what internet said!
http://forums.petfinder.my/showpost....01&postcount=5

Old 06-30-2009, 07:34 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkee94 View Post
Arsenic poisoning (in this case the source is the apple seeds) as we all know, is accumulative (meaning the poison stays or is stored in the body and continues to build up instead of being eliminated).

The effects will not be visible in the early stage (unless the initial dosage is considerably high and causes the liver and kidneys to fail and shut down) especially if your pet at the moment is young, strong and healthy.

But the damage through poisoning though not seen now, is definitely there, and will continue to accumulate in the pet if it continues to pick up the poison through some food, contaminated water or environment until at one stage the pet will start showing illness due to the poisoning and die.

If the pet is not healthy or older, it will succumb even faster as its liver and kidneys start to function less effectively and then fail totally.

Many people continue to poison their pets out of ignorance because they see nothing happening to their pets immediately or in the short term and there are some that simply laugh and refuse to believe. I have seen this and it is very sad.

P/S: This is the reason why when someone wants to murder a person quietly, the person is fed a little arsenic at a time so that he will not show any signs of illness or drop dead immediately. After being continuously fed the poison, one day, he will start to show signs of illness due to the arsenic poisoning and he will finally die, but people will not know it is arsenic poisoning or suspect murder unless they perform an autopsy.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies

Last edited by FurKids; 06-30-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:46 PM
PetFinder Moderator

added some by Maychin-Lee

1.Understand that even though a certain food is non-toxic to you, this does not mean that the food is non-toxic to your dog. Certain foods that cause no harm to humans can be lethal to canines.

2.Familiarize yourself with the top human food culprits:
◦Chocolate contains theobromine (a methylxanthine derivative). It can cause a dog to vomit, have diarrhea, pant excessively, urinate frequently, develop a great thirst, have seizures, show hyperactivity, get an abnormal heart beat and possibly die. The negative effects depend on the dosage, the size of the dog, and the type of chocolate.[1]
◦Caffeine/Coffee warrant the same precautions as for chocolate. Caffeine, like theobromine, is a methylxanthine derivative with similar effects on dogs.
◦Alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lack of coordination, poor breathing, abnormal blood acidity, coma and death, just like in humans. The difference is that dogs are much smaller and are more susceptible to intoxication.
◦Onions, garlic and chives in all forms (dry, raw, cooked) contain thiosulphate, which can irritate the gastrointestinal system of your dog. A relatively high dosage (600-800 grams) in one meal or spread apart over a few days can damage red blood cells (haemolytic anaemia)[2].
◦Macadamia Nuts (both raw and roasted, as well as macadamia butter) contain an unknown toxin that can cause locomotory difficulties: weakness, panting, tremors and swollen limbs. [3]. Commonly in cookies, so be careful what you feed your dog.
◦Grapes and Raisins - can lead to kidney failure [4]. As yet, it is not known what substance in grapes causes this. Be careful, as raisins are often in cake and cookies.
◦Avocado - the substance Persin can cause vomiting, diarrhea and sometimes heart congestion.
◦Yeast dough - this refers to the dough prior to cooking. The yeast can continue to rise in the dog's stomach and cause painful bloating, gas and even rupture of the intestines or stomach.
◦Raw or undercooked meat and eggs - While there is controversy surrounding the role of raw meat in a dog's diet, studies have shown that raw meat has a higher likelihood of harboring harmful bacteria than cooked or prepared dog food[5]. As with humans, care needs to be taken in handling raw meat and eggs to avoid the possibility of contamination with Salmonella bacteria and E. coli. Raw eggs contain an enzyme (avidin) that can lead to skin and coat problems for a dog.
◦Milk - owing to the lack of lactase, consumption may lead to bloating, gas, diarrhea and other digestive upsets.
◦Xylitol - this can lead to liver failure through the over-release of insulin, vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination. It does not take long to see signs of nearing liver failure - only a few days. Be very careful as this substance in a wide range of products, such as candy, chewing gum, toothpaste and baked goods.[6]
◦Bones can cause choking, or they can break apart into jagged pieces that become lodged in the digestive tract. Look for sturdy marrow bones that are less likely to splinter or nylon bones that wear down slowly [7].
◦Corn on the cob is one of the most common ways a dog can get a blocked intestine. The dog bites of a piece of the cob one inch long and swallows it. The corn is digested off the cob in the tummy and the cob is left to block the small intestine and feels like a brillo pad trying to scrape it's way down the digestive track. This is seen in vet offices often and can kill the dog if not removed surgically.[8]
◦Salmon and trout frequently have a parasite that cooking does not kill. It is fine for humans but can harm dogs.

3.Chicken bones can get lodged into the roof of the mouth

4.Check the food you are sharing carefully. Many of these ingredients are tucked away in cookies, bread, cake, preserves and other processed foods. It is really important to be aware of what you are feeding your canine companion so that you can avoid these problem foods.

5.Ensure that your dog eats a healthy and balanced diet. Read up on the appropriate foods for your dog type and make regular vet visits to ensure that your dog is in top shape.

6.Minimize snacks from the human table. It encourages poor manners from both the dog and the human and it blurs the line between what is good food for the animal and what is not. Start out right and keep it right.

7.Contact your vet immediately if you see any signs of weakness, poisoning, lack of coordination, lethargy, frothing or any other unusual behavior after consuming any of these foods. Delay can be fatal so do not hesitate.