Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 06-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Animal Lover

prognesubis is on a distinguished road
Exclamation New Adopter

Greetings, I was searching for siberian husky puppy for adoption (purchase with money is secondary option). I am residing in Muar, Johor so it would be best if any owners/sellers/givers in the vicinity whom I can conveniently meet. I have specific criteria on type of siberian husky I am looking for.

1. It must within 2 months of age. Puppies older than that absolutely would not be considered.
2. Black white or gray white.
3. Female.
4. Pure breed
5. Vaccinated, dewormed, and micro-chipped (preferable but not must-have)

Anyone interested can pm me. Hope to hear good news. Thanks.

Martin
Old 06-18-2010, 07:45 PM
PetFinder Guru

acsyen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Adopter

This is like asking for a free lunch. Unfortunately even if one of the rescuers has the dogs, you will not have a chance to own it if you are not paying anything. I as a rescuer will personally charge at least rm500 for that puppy and conditions are that the puppy must eat the choice of food that I select and must be neutered and the standard of living for the puppy must meet my expectations. If not you are better off buying one that meets your criteria.

I haven't rehomed any Sibe pups before but I have rehomed JRT and GR puppies of 2 months old and above and yes I charge adoption fees and made sure that they meet all my requirements. So are you willing to meet the requirements when the rescuer has the puppy?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Hi, Martin --

In my experience, Malaysians with pure-breed puppies or anything that even slightly resembles a pure-breed puppy (i.e. it's black & tan so must be a German Shepherd or Rottweiler or Doberman, take your pick) will try to sell it for profit. Vaccinated? Microchipped? Not a chance! It cuts down on the profit.

** my apologies to the reputable breeders out there who do care about your dogs and their well-being. I hope you realise I am not referring to you. **

The Siberian huskies that I've seen for adoption on Petfinder have been adults, probably surrendered by owners who bought them having no clue as to their temperaments, exercise requirements, health issues, etc., and were consequently overwhelmed.

I rather suspect you have only a few options: 1) adopt a surrendered adult from a known & reputable rescuer (like acsyen, who commented before), 2) look for a responsible breeder of Siberian Huskies in Malaysia (maybe contact the MKA?) or 3) buy a 2-month old puppy from any number of completely disreputable and irresponsible sellers (who list on PF and elsewhere), hoping against hope that she doesn't perish from viral infections...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prognesubis View Post
Greetings, I was searching for siberian husky puppy for adoption (purchase with money is secondary option). I am residing in Muar, Johor so it would be best if any owners/sellers/givers in the vicinity whom I can conveniently meet. I have specific criteria on type of siberian husky I am looking for.

1. It must within 2 months of age. Puppies older than that absolutely would not be considered.
2. Black white or gray white.
3. Female.
4. Pure breed
5. Vaccinated, dewormed, and micro-chipped (preferable but not must-have)

Anyone interested can pm me. Hope to hear good news. Thanks.

Martin
Old 06-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Animal Lover

Mellissa is on a distinguished road

I think the odds of you finding a purebred Siberian Husky puppy for free is probably the same as you winning the lottery. A rescuer will definitely not offer that puppy free for adoption as it will simply attract the wrong kind of adopters. I would personally ask for an adoption fee to be donated towards desexing, etc. or donated towards an animal rescue group, and that's after a series of stringent home and background checks.

The husky is a very sought after breed in Malaysia, and many people adopt/buy them without fully understanding their temperament and how important it is to ensure that a young husky gets the proper training it requires.

I've heard of a reputable Husky breeder in Ipoh, and if you would like his contact, PM me. But please note, reputable breeders will not simply sell a puppy to just any Tom, Dick or Harry who comes along, and it will definitely not be cheap.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Vivien Wuz Ere

Location: Earth - where every human beings have to live together with animals
vivienlpl is on a distinguished road

you can never get siberian husky for adoption
it will all end up "for sale" and dont come in cheap...
you need to pay a huge price for this kind of special breed dog..

If you want it as a pet, go purchase it but do check carefully before you purchase...
Old 06-22-2010, 12:41 PM
PetFinder Guru

acsyen is on a distinguished road

Vivien this you are a bit wrong. I have rehomed a few siberian huskies. Some even champion line ones. But it comes with a price to cover the medical fees and also to make sure the owner is capable of taking care of the genetic problems.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

I clearly remember sitting at Klinik Kembiri in Setapak one morning a couple of years ago, while accompanying a friend to neuter some cats and 2 guys wearing some company attire popped into the dog pound asking about their 3 Siberian Huskies that somehow got rounded up by DBKL dog catchers. The prompt reply was, "Gone! Gone!".

Obviously someone (not the owners) had immediately snapped them up fast. The guys would not believe the outcome and went into Klinik Kembiri, asking Krishnan about the dogs. They got the same reply from Krishnan, "Gone! Gone! Gone! Taken already!"

Later, I overheard Krishnan muttering, "Huh! Dogs like that where got sit around days and wait for you to take your own sweet time to come and reclaim! Snapped up like hot cakes la!"
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 06-22-2010, 03:47 PM
PetFinder Buddy

tlllastar is on a distinguished road

I personally do not like to see Siberian Husky existing in Malaysia. It looks as if they're suffocating under their thick masses of fur and their furs don't look as pretty as they should be. They don't suit our climate, do they? *just wondering* probably can only be kept in air-con house?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlllastar View Post
I personally do not like to see Siberian Husky existing in Malaysia. It looks as if they're suffocating under their thick masses of fur and their furs don't look as pretty as they should be. They don't suit our climate, do they? *just wondering* probably can only be kept in air-con house?
Hi, Tlllastar --

I'm not sure about the climate question. I don't know how well the nordic breeds adapt to the tropical weather.

I do know this, though, from friends who have kept a pair of huskies for years in Canada: huskies LIVE TO WORK. A chained or crated husky is a miserable dog. My concern in Malaysia is that huskies might not get enough exercise and will slowly but surely go mad.

My friends use their huskies to pull them on cross-country skis in the winter, and they hitch them to light carts when there is no snow. The dogs will run and pull for kilometers and seem to love every minute of it. Because few people can provide the dogs with adequate exercise, my friends say the comment they hear most often is, "Oh, yes, I had a husky... once."

Unless you are an active outdoor person or family, huskies are really a poor choice!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Hi, Tlllastar --

I'm not sure about the climate question. I don't know how well the nordic breeds adapt to the tropical weather.

I do know this, though, from friends who have kept a pair of huskies for years in Canada: huskies LIVE TO WORK. A chained or crated husky is a miserable dog. My concern in Malaysia is that huskies might not get enough exercise and will slowly but surely go mad.

My friends use their huskies to pull them on cross-country skis in the winter, and they hitch them to light carts when there is no snow. The dogs will run and pull for kilometers and seem to love every minute of it. Because few people can provide the dogs with adequate exercise, my friends say the comment they hear most often is, "Oh, yes, I had a husky... once."

Unless you are an active outdoor person or family, huskies are really a poor choice!
No, unless you keep the Siberian Husky in full aircon, a tropical country like Malaysia is a definite no-no. Even my neighbour's thick coated beautiful Belgian Shepherd has a problem with the heat if left outdoors. Their next door neighbour's maid over the fence says dia pun tak boleh tahan to see the poor dog overheating and she will frequently point her garden hose to spray the dog across the fence.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 06-23-2010, 01:24 PM
PetFinder Buddy

tlllastar is on a distinguished road

That's really sad =(

1st, such good dogs are wasted kept indoors as a, i dunno, lap dog? *sigh* they're beautiful, makes a good trophy dog for the rich.

2nd, they are just plain miserable. just like those withering penguins we often see in zoo negara. kesian.

i used to love visiting pet shops. but after getting more involved in petfinder, nowadays i hate going into pet shops. I'm starting to notice things I've neglected before. How sad those puppies look in the small cages, with pee and poo on the floor, stepped repeatedly, even in big pet shops like pet wonderland. it's sad to see their conditions in there, and since i can't actually do anything for them, I'd rather be an ostrich and not look at them
Old 06-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Animal Lover

Mellissa is on a distinguished road

Actually huskies bred in Malaysia for many generations should already be acclimatised to the weather, their coat doesn't grow as long .. but they still need to be indoor dogs cause the Malaysian heat is crazy!

The main issue I would think is exercise also .. not many dog-friendly parks in Malaysia and hardly any off-leash parks too :(