Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 08-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Animal Lover

poyo is on a distinguished road
Default Allergic Reaction To A New Kitten [ plus other questions ]

I used to have a kitten, named Belang, a couple of years back. The 1st time I bring her home, she doesn't meow loudly often, and by the 1st night, she was already sleeping at my legs. By the 2nd day onwards, does not meow anymore. It went on for a year before she was catnapped by my sister. A very quiet cat, although she is left alone at home when I go to work, every time I come home, I can hear she meowing, especially when I call out her name while I'm fumbling to open the front grill. Very sweet and quiet lap cat, doesn't make a mess at home when I'm not around, plus pee and poo only at the toilet. I also never got any allergic reactions although Belang always sleeps on my chest, at my armpit [ ! ] or, right beside me, on top of my head [ really! ], or at my legs.

So I was cat - less for 2 years.

3 days ago, I've adopted a kitten, Mollie, a DMH, presumably 4 months old. Bought for her a cat shampoo, litter box, Feline Fresh, Feliway, a toy giraffe that squeaks when you press the tummy, a scratching pad that can be hanged at the doorknob, and 2kg's of Blackwood kitten, plus two separate bowls, one for her kibbles, one for her drinking water.

The 1st day, bfr I go to work, I'll enter the room, clean up the litterbox, add a bit more of Feline Fresh, clean the water bowl and fill it up, add a bit more of Blackwood [ because I forgot to buy her usual kibble, RC Indoor Kitten, but she did eat the Blackwood kibbles a bit ], stayed in the room and played with Mollie. Same activity when I got home, but bed time, I kept Mollie in the room, but before that, I sprayed Feliway liberally around the room, but it seems that it does not work because Mollie kept meowing loudly.

2nd day, same activity. I came home and saw the Blackwood kibbles finished! So this means that I do not need to buy RC Indoor Kitten for her! I let her out and she started exploring the apartment [ but I closed the door to the other rooms and the bathroom ]. Still she meows loudly whilst she is exploring the apartment! But most of the times when I get eye contact with Mollie, I called her name and she came to me. As I lay on my bed [ since I'm staying alone, I sleep at the hall because I'm the kind of fella who needs TV to fall asleep ], I called her name, she came to me, walked up to my chest, starts smelling my nose and then lay on my chest, and I can sense her kneading! Hhhmmmm, she misses her mommy is it? Later, I placed her in her room, switched on the light + fan and closed the door. Boy, the meowing sure is loud.

3rd day, same routine. But this time, I decided to let her sleep with me. Sadly, my eyes started to itch and I felt it was hard to breathe. So I placed Mollie back in her room.

The next day [ today morning ], I went to my usual doc. After examining me [ as he's familiar with my allergic reactions etc, as my skin can get rashes easily etc ], he told me the allergic reaction to my eyes and throat is possibly to Mollie's introduction to my daily life [ as nothing else is changed with my daily grind, diet, exercise etc ], and he told me it would be best for me to give Mollie out to someone else.

I'm surprised as my previous kitty, Belang, a DLH, never gave me such an allergic reaction. Furthermore, Belang doesn't meow as loud, and as often as Mollie, who meows almost all the time, and does it loudly!

Will Mollie keep on meowing like this? Anything that I can do to stop my allergic reaction? Or would it be best for me to let Mollie go?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:56 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Allergic Reaction To A New Kitten [ plus other questions ]

Hi, Poyo!

I am also allergic to cats. I knew this when I adopted Maneki but wanted her company so decided to deal with the allergies.

After 3 years, I find that my allergic reactions are less frequent and less troublesome. I keep a couple of antihistamine tablets in the house, and I take them only as I need them. Nowadays that's perhaps 1 tablet a week.

Why two types of tablets? Pyriton will make you sleepy, so only take it at night. Clarityne will not make you sleepy and is fine to take during the day. (There is a generic form of Clarityne which is less expensive -- ask the pharmacist.)

I would try these antihistimines for a while before you consider giving Mollie up. You may find that they help the symptoms and that the allergies get better over time. (We hope!)

As for the meowing, I think some cats are naturally more "talkative" than others. Maneki makes all sorts of noises most of the time, and loudly! And when Mollie is old enough to go into heat, she'll make enough noise to raise the dead if you don't spay her. Those howls will be a great reminder to make an appointment at the vet clinic!

Good luck!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Animal Lover

Default Re: Allergic Reaction To A New Kitten [ plus other questions ]

Maneki, thanks for your reply. What were your allergic reaction? Same as mine? Do you let Maneki sleep with you, climb onto your bed, kiss / lick your fingers and face etc?

It is strange because when I had Belang, I never had to deal with this allergic issue. I've also Googled and it seems that this allergic reaction is due to the dander from the cat's fur. That is an issue because as of now, I really need to pet Mollie a lot [ and I mean, a lot lol! ]! Will wiping Mollie with those wet tissues for cats and dogs help reduce the dander too?

Mollie sure is one loud kitten, she even does those grumbling sounds when she eats her kibbles lol!

Do you take those antihistamines daily, and at what dosages? Once a day for each? I think I got both Clarytine and Clarinase at my work place. Do you know which one is stronger? If I take fish oil capsules daily, will it help too? Hhhmmm, maybe I gotta start taking pure honey daily too. :(

Belang had "that" howl [ the different kind of meowing which sounds more human -like voices, right? ] before, and I've heard Mollie does the same too a few times late at night. If it is true, wow, so small and yet sudah horny meh? Aiyaiyai!

Pity us who got low immunity strength. It's worse for me as my daily diet is bad, i drink less than 8 glasses of plain water daily, hardly exercise nowadays, and I've got plenty of allergic reactions too! :(

Last edited by poyo; 08-09-2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Clarytine, Clarinse, fish oil, honey : phews!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Hi, Poyo --

Yes, my eyes itch and swell up (nearly shut sometimes), and I sneeze a lot. My nose runs like a tap. It's miserable!

But here's why I suggest you try the antihistamines and not give Mollie away just yet: When I first adopted Maneki, I was taking the tablets every day or two. Now, 3 years later, it's every week or two. I think my system is gradually getting used to her. And yes, she sleeps on the bed with me every night. :-)

I don't know about the other antihistimine you mentioned. I like Pyriton at night because a) it's very inexpensive (6 tablets for RM1) and it puts me into a deep sleep, but my pharmacist says it works well for some people and not for others. I expect you may need to do a bit of trial and error to see which antihistimines work well for you.

Personally, I don't like taking any medication, but these tablets make it possible for me to keep my cat, so I take them cheerfully. :-)

I once read that we are not allergic to cats' dander but to their saliva, which of course gets spread all over their bodies when they groom themselves. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I do know that putting your hands near your eyes after touching the cat is sure trouble.

Anyway, I hope you find a way to keep Mollie and learn to enjoy her "conversation"!
Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Animal Lover

Same allergic reactions we share!

I think I should visit my doc and ask him about the anti - histamines. I think he did told me about it yesterday but my mind was full of : Mollie!

Do you vacuum daily, or u got aircond at your home / living hall / room? Or do you wash your bed + pillow covers with really hot water weekly [ i read around somewhere that it seems that this is one of the few ways to reduce this problem ]?

Oooohhhhh, I really wish Mollie would reserve her "conversations" for times when I want to chat with her lol.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:32 AM
~feline attaché

nurkasih is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post

Why two types of tablets? Pyriton will make you sleepy, so only take it at night. Clarityne will not make you sleepy and is fine to take during the day. (There is a generic form of Clarityne which is less expensive -- ask the pharmacist.)

Good luck!
I was on Clarityne before and took them whenever I had running nose ( due to allergic reaction) and now, it does not really give me any effect anymore. I guess my body has already adapted to Clarityne. Long term effect is in question also.. Might want to consult your doctor..

Now, I still have the allergic symptoms plus skin irritation at the skin of my hands. I'll try hard not to scratch and depend 100% on medicated soap plus cream ( forget the name but I have it at home, at office and in my handbag) and some old timer 'bedak sejuk' to ease the itchiness. But the itchiness is just a minor one.. Remembered a few months back, the doc gave me Augmentin, which now I know I am allergic to, and hell..I was scratching all night and day and cried because it itches like hell...

i dare not complain to my mum as this is what I choose. complain means my cats have to go.. So now, I'll do the best I can to make sure I do not develop asthma and also be on my toes all the time whenever I see rashes build up.

And for your noisy cat..some cats are talkative as maneko mentioned. Mine too.. They just want attention and to be talked to.. try to talk with them and you'll find yourself engaged in 'meow' language.. ( tho I doubt you can understand).. My sis love to do that as well

add up: there's one time, one of my cat, Boy licked my hands while I was sleeping and when I woke up the next day.. I tak sengaja'garu' mata.. And when I was in school ( my workplace) they chased me out claiming I developed red eye symptoms... One eyemore drops and it's gone..hehehe and as for different cat different allergic reaction? I can sleep with short hair cats as many as I want ( white colour ) and got no symptoms of allergic reactions.. But when it's dark coloured, my nose will be watery and if it is long hair.. it's worst!.. Yet, I read somewhere darker coloured cats will make the so called allergic reaction even worst but can't recall why..

Last edited by nurkasih; 08-09-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Animal Lover

Ok fellas, I'm going to drop by my regular doc for another round of advise. a little bit worried thou.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Animal Lover

Sad news... my regular doc, who's looked after me since a was 6, told me i can take antihistamines, but he can't guarantee me how long it'll be effective bfr it'll be useless. I told him that my previous cat, Belang, never gave me such allergies bfr, plus it's a DLH, and he told me, diff cats give diff results. Now what should i do? My eyes is really in a bad condition now, but Mollie is starting to kiss me on my nose, starts to bite gently and lick my fingers too, and those sweet round eyes!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Poyo, my pharmacists all think I'm utterly mad: "Why do you keep a cat?!"

"To keep you in business," I tell them, "selling me antihistamines!"

I keep the cat because I love the cat. In my case, the antihistamines have done the job. I take them only when I really need them.

Of course, if you get rid of the cat, your allergy problem will go away. It's your doctor's responsibility to mention this. (I suppose it's also common sense...)

On the other hand, how much joy do you get from the company of your cat? Does that not improve the quality of your life?

As Nurkasih said, she thinks twice before she complains about sneezing and itching, because the obvious answer is: get rid of the cats!

I think only you can make this decision: does the joy of living with the cat justify the discomfort of the allergies, or do the allergies make your life too miserable?

As I mentioned before, my pharmacist told me that Pyriton works for some people not for others. That may be the case with many of these medications. Nurkasih said that Clarityne stopped working for her; 3 years on, it still works for me. We're all different, yes? If you want to keep Mollie, I would try using a variety of antihistamines -- only as you need them! -- and see if some of them work better for you than others. If you are still swelling, itching, sneezing and completely miserable, then I guess the answer is to try to find another loving home for your kitten. :-(

Best of luck! I'm hoping for the best for you and Mollie!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Animal Lover

Last night I find it hard to breathe until i was wheezing, something that never happened to be before. Going to my doc again.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:33 AM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by poyo View Post
Last night I find it hard to breathe until i was wheezing, something that never happened to be before. Going to my doc again.
Scared that you catch asthma. The best you can is to get as minimal contact as possible with your cat. And doing regular physical exercises will help you minimize the chances of having asthma. Tho asthma is triggered by dust / cats fur and is some sort of allergic reactions..but to make it really happen is the combination of other elements as well, stress, body weight, cholesterol , immune system.. So the wise way is to get as minimal as possible when you see first signs of any allergic reaction until you are good.

As for me, I have to use face mask when I have fever to clean up my fur kids.. and gloves to handle them.. as it may be killing but that's the only way to help my body immune system not to be weaken even worst by the sickness that I had.

Take care
Old 08-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Animal Lover

mazlan is on a distinguished road

Your new kiten surely has mite,Why dont you bring your kitten to see vet to check for flea/mite,certain peoples do develope allergy to cats mite/flea,ask vet to give anti mite/flea medication that can last up to 1 1/2 mth.

Good luck
Old 08-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Hi Poyo,

My hubby is allergic to cats, too. It not only causes itch and swelling, but bad asthmatic attacks, too. His doctor prescribed Budesonide inhaler which he uses once a night at bedtime. It is effective in preventing him from wheezing and it stops his nose from running like a tap even though our cats snuggled up to us on our bed.

In addition to that, I hoover the home daily plus use a scraper (or lint remover) to remove all traces of fur from the bed and furniture (although I'm sure 'new' fur is added onto the bed at night when they snuggle up). ;)

I'm not sure if the above is of any help to you, but I thought I'll just share from our own experience.

Good luck!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Animal Lover

My doc is against my idea of keeping Mollie, as he told me that I'm not asthmatic in the 1st place, obviously the addition of Mollie to my daily life has greatly affected my health, and he told me it is bad to forever depend on medications and antihistamines because there will be a time when my liver and kidneys starts to fail, whereby he further told me, that it's hard to judge when these 2 organs will start to fail, and usually once you've been diagnosed, usually the best option is to replace it. Plus with my low blood pressure problem that I had since I was a kid, it becomes worse.

I'm still perplexed on why my previous cat, Belang, a DLH, never gave me such a problem.

After thinking about it, I've decided it's best to let Mollie go. For the time being, I am forced to keep her in her room as I've been strictly told by my doc to do so, as he's afraid that more contact with Mollie will make my situation worse.

Mollie is a DMH, presumably 4 months old, with a kinda short, screwed - on tail. Body colour is a mix of dark brown, light brown with a bit of off - white. Stripes with bengal - like spots at tummy. Extremely vocal, even grumbles when she eats her kibbles! Very playful, can jump pretty high for a kitten of her size. Eats Blackwood kitten. Comes when you call her name, and if you're calling her when you're sitting or lying on your bed / sofa etc, she will walk up to your chest and rubs her face against yours, smell and lick your nose too, and after that she'll sit on your body. Requires constant petting [ maybe because she's the only cat in my home now ].

Adopter will get around 1 1/2 kg of Blackwood kitten, her litter box, 1/2 of Feline Fresh clumping + flushable litter, her zebra toy, scratch pad that can be hanged at the door knob, Feliway [ used a bit so can't really judge how much is left ], McLee's cat shampoo, Frontline [ the drop kind, single use only ]. I will also finance the Blackwood kibbles for Mollie, and will finance half of the costs for the 1st vet visit, her vaccine shots, and also for neutering at Klinik Kembiri.

This is a very sad decision to make, but I had to make it.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Oooohhhhh, Poyo, I am SO sorry!

I completely understand and respect your decision. My heart aches for you though, having to give Mollie up. Still, your health takes priority, and it's very frightening when you can't draw enough breath due to wheezing, I know.

I wish you all the best of luck in finding Mollie a good, loving home!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Animal Lover

Looks like at the moment there's no responses for Mollie's adoption drive. So for the time being, I guess I have to endure the wheezing, runny nose and watery / itchy / swollen eyes syndrome lol.

I've used both Clarinase and Clarityne at the same time [ popped two of 'em at once ], and I think it only helps up to 60% of the runny nose problem. I've also became more careful not to touch my anywhere at my facial area everytime I touch or pet Mollie. I pity her, that I do not allow her to smell my nose anymore via blowing her face away.

Any anti - histamines that I can use temporarily for the eyes and wheezing problem?

I've called both The Pet Safari and The Pet Family, also Pet Wonderland, but sadly they do not keep stock of either :

- Allerpet/C
- Allersearch Pet+ Anti-Allergen Pet Shampoo
- Simple Solution Allergy Relief From Cats [ liquid form ]
- Simple Solution Dander Reducing Serum [ liquid form ]
- Earthbath All Natural Cat Wipes With Hypo-Allergenic & Fragrance Free wet tissues
- Simple Solution Allergy Relief From Cats Wipes For Pet Owners wet tissues
- Quick Bath For Cats wet tissues
- Simple Solution Pre-Moistened Cats Bathing Cloths
- 8 In 1 Perfect Coat Bath Wipes For Cats wet tissues
- Petkin Kittywipes wet tissues

So if any of you guys knows your regular petshop sells any of these, do kindly let me know via replying here or PM, with the complete address of the shop [ so that it'll be easier for me to find it in Google Map ], shop phone number and opening time. I'm willing to drive around anywhere in K.L, P.J, Subang, Shah Alam and Kajang, as I'm getting very desperate now.

Last edited by poyo; 08-12-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:30 PM
~feline attaché

Hate to say this..but try to minimize your cat's space to maybe a room. And get the other spaces in the house dust free. By being away from Mollie, you'll get better and no need to pop in Clarinase and Clarityne .. Clarinase is the strongest med for runny nose, scared it would not be affective to you after a long run.

And maybe you want to try having air purifier in your room particularly as well. I have been using Super8 Superdrive for my car and superbly , my car is not that dusty anymore and I do not need to put in any car fragrance that will stink during humid/hot sun soaked up. if I am not mistaken they have it for bedroom also. The price I cannot be sure..but the mini one costs about RM60++ ( maybe, can't remember, long time ago)..

I am not getting anything from recommending, but I think for now, you need clean air..and you have to restrict your cat's spaces, at least, until your allergic reaction subsided and from there you can control your well-being while waiting for a kind heart to take Mollie.. and ermm..the regular exercise I mentioned will seriously boost up your immune system.. So you might want to think of something..

Do take care..seriously!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Animal Lover

I hate to keep Mollie in the same room 24/7. I've tried it last night before I go to bed, kesian dgr Mollie mengiau dgn suara sedih dia tu. But at least my wheezing isn't so bad, it only happens the 1st couple of hours after I woke up.

Maybe it's high - time for me to start running again eh?

Well, to anyone and everyone who saw any of the items I'm looking for, do let me know. If it's out of my area [ K.L, P.J, Subang, Shah Alam, and Kajang ], I do not have a problem to bank in the money required to purchase the item + packing + shipment + your costs to buy the item/s.

I saw a couple of air purifiers today, but the price [ one is proudly made in Malaysia and costs RM 799.00, another one also made in Malausia, but it's around RM 1.4k if 'm not mistaken, and the last one was a Sharp model, about RM 1.5k, all three well beyond my reach! ], man, I can buy the cheapest one, but I can't spend a single cent for my own food, let alone Mollie's upkeep for the time being.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:28 AM
~feline attaché

It's up to you.. but you have to remember, if do not take care now.. someday you may have to do abrupt actions or your family has to do it. I've seen my sis got ashmatic attack and hospitalized for a week ( she never got asthmatic before), and how my life changed afterwards...my mistakes in letting the furballs into our rooms and there it went , when one day , she gasping for air out of nothing..

Once again, this is not the matter of kesian tak kesian. Will be a lot more kesian if you have to depart with her abruptly.

add up : and ahhh ya.. maybe you want to go for a 30 minute jog every evening. the wheezing and everything comes from weak lung..and cardio exercise is recommended. Don't get me wrong, I am thin but my cholesterol level is high. That is teh reason why I am also wheezing sometimes and feel its hard to breathe.

Last edited by nurkasih; 08-13-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Animal Lover

Yeah, so for the time being, Mollie got to be kept inside her room 24/7, I really pity hearing her sad wails, but you're right, you got to do what you're got to do.

I used to cycle from Jln Tun Razak, to Bangsar and back to Jln Tun Razak in under 45 mins before, on a hardtail MTB with knobblies! Now? Sheeeesh! I think if I can make it in 1 hour 15 mins, I can consider myself lucky lolz. I used to do HIIT runs at KLCC Park bfr, I suppose I should restart with a light HIIT run tonight after breaking fast. That is, if I'm not strapped with time eh.

Happy to report that I've found a local seller who is receiving stock for the wet tissues next week [ that helps to reduce dander! Now I remember that, back in the early 2004, I bought the Simple Solution Allergy Relief From Cats Wipes For Pet Owners wet tissues, at a petshop around Desa Pandan! Hhhmmm, I think if I'm not meeting my pal after Friday prayers, I might be able to go there to look for it. Anyone else interested to have a pack, or two if I found it? ], a different brand, Essentials, but I'll give it a shot anyway since it's only RM 6.00 for a pack of 8 wet tissues, but I can say that the Simple Solution brand works, from my past experience with the said item.

I don't want to use anti - histamines, as sooner or later, my body might depend on it, or it will no longer work [ I used to depend on creams to help with my skin allergies, sadly, nowadays they don't work as well as they used to before, so this proves, to me, that I cannot depend of these stuffs forever ], so I'll resort to these items 1st and see whether the dander problem reduces down to a much more manageable level [ slight runny nose is normal to me ] minus the extremely runny nose + watery, reddish, swelling eyes, and without the wheezing too. If by a certain time [ I'd say at least 2 weeks to a month, as I'll be shopping around for a damn good shampoo to help with this dander problem locally soon, and as I might be ordering some dander - reducing liquid from U.S too ] this condition does not improve, I will have to relocate Mollie for my own health's sake.