Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Animal Protection Laws & Rights

Animal Protection Laws & Rights Discuss on the enacted animal protection laws and how to better protect their rights

Old 11-01-2010, 03:26 AM
PetFinder Buddy

kmleong is on a distinguished road
Default Cats in Apartments

I live in an apartment with three lovely cats. After moving out from my old house I thought I have freedom and get to own animals cause I love animals I had hamsters and guinea pigs last time before I move on to have cats when my hamsters and guinea pigs were dead due to all age. After moving here for the first two years I had a very peaceful time. Then came this new neighbour a few blocks away just moved in. There first year was no problem then the problem starts. He keeps complaining about the smell and everyone in his family fall sick. He came to my house in the middle of the night and knock on my window and I answered he started to scold me. After a few months he went to the malays (now already shifted out) and complain to them also with the same excuse that his family fall sick. Then he brought this up to the management every once and then and I get a call from the management asking me to do something about the smell. So I just ignore it and just do my cleaning even installed air wick auto dispenser to get rid of the smell.
Just recently the neighbour even get the comitee involve. I was called to the office to discuss. Now I was ordered that my cats be taken to someplace else or throw them away or they would call the MPPP. I tried to argue with them but the comitte said in the S&P is already stated that no cats and dogs are allowed but there are people in that building rearing cats even dogs. They said a police report is also made. Just for argue sake, do they have the rights to do that? To me is really unfair cause I got nowhere else to go. I don't have any other place to put them. If there is I wouldn't be staying here. Because i love my cats alot I had to find another place to stay while I going to sell off this apartment.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:35 PM
PetFinder Guru

Felix The Cat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cats in Apartments

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmleong View Post
I live in an apartment with three lovely cats. After moving out from my old house I thought I have freedom and get to own animals cause I love animals I had hamsters and guinea pigs last time before I move on to have cats when my hamsters and guinea pigs were dead due to all age. After moving here for the first two years I had a very peaceful time. Then came this new neighbour a few blocks away just moved in. There first year was no problem then the problem starts. He keeps complaining about the smell and everyone in his family fall sick. He came to my house in the middle of the night and knock on my window and I answered he started to scold me. After a few months he went to the malays (now already shifted out) and complain to them also with the same excuse that his family fall sick. Then he brought this up to the management every once and then and I get a call from the management asking me to do something about the smell. So I just ignore it and just do my cleaning even installed air wick auto dispenser to get rid of the smell.
Just recently the neighbour even get the comitee involve. I was called to the office to discuss. Now I was ordered that my cats be taken to someplace else or throw them away or they would call the MPPP. I tried to argue with them but the comitte said in the S&P is already stated that no cats and dogs are allowed but there are people in that building rearing cats even dogs. They said a police report is also made. Just for argue sake, do they have the rights to do that? To me is really unfair cause I got nowhere else to go. I don't have any other place to put them. If there is I wouldn't be staying here. Because i love my cats alot I had to find another place to stay while I going to sell off this apartment.
Sorry to hear about your disgruntled neighbour.
I am sorry to say that he should move out and not you!
I suggest that you go one step ahead of them which is go directly and see MPPP before they do.
Tell them what is happening and ask for an appeal in order for you to be able to keep your beloved pets.
I did enquire once from MPAJ with regards to a friends plight which is the same as yours and was told that they will consider if you officially write in to them asking for an appeal to keep your pets.
No harm in trying right?
Good Luck!

Felix The Cat - Dee wonderful wonderful cat!
http://felixthecats.weebly.com
http://livinginmyworld-phyllis.blogspot.com/
Old 11-01-2010, 06:35 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Cat View Post
Sorry to hear about your disgruntled neighbour.
I am sorry to say that he should move out and not you!
I suggest that you go one step ahead of them which is go directly and see MPPP before they do.
Tell them what is happening and ask for an appeal in order for you to be able to keep your beloved pets.
I did enquire once from MPAJ with regards to a friends plight which is the same as yours and was told that they will consider if you officially write in to them asking for an appeal to keep your pets.
No harm in trying right?
Good Luck!
Even in the S&P stated no dogs and cats allowed we still can appeal to MPPP? That day we had a discussion with the comitte and they told me upstairs the next floor an indian family had 8 cats and they are all taken away by MPPP though I'm not sure is that true or they are just lying. I also did ask them other people are also have cats even dogs and birds they said as long nobody complains they can't do anything but once someone makes a complain they have to evict their pet.

As of today I manage to get a fosterer thru this forum. Now they are in good hands. I am really grateful to her for willing to help me out in such a short notice.

Last edited by kmleong; 11-01-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:51 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Even in the S&P stated no dogs and cats allowed we still can appeal to MPPP? That day we had a discussion with the comitte and they told me upstairs the next floor an indian family had 8 cats and they are all taken away by MPPP though I'm not sure is that true or they are just lying. I also did ask them other people are also have cats even dogs and birds they said as long nobody complains they can't do anything but once someone makes a complain they have to evict their pet.

As of today I manage to get a fosterer thru this forum. Now they are in good hands. I am really grateful to her for willing to help me out in such a short notice.
I believe you can but there is a limit as to how many cats/dogs you can keep.
For example if the Indian family had 8 cats then its too much.
But in your case 3 is ok.
Why dont you just give MPPP a call first and discuss and seek advice from them.
I was told by MPAJ (the lady was very helpful) that you can appeal and allowed to keep pets as long as your cats does not roam outside your apartment compound and does not give any trouble outside e.g. disturbing neighbours rubbish, making noise at night then I see its not a problem.
You just have to make sure that your house is clean if the MPPP decides they want to pay a visit to your house.
Also..... they cannot barge into your house without a warrant.
Remember that.
Dont be itimidated by them.
Remember its your house and the cats are inside your house.
Legally its your compound and no one has the right to enter your house.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:15 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
I believe you can but there is a limit as to how many cats/dogs you can keep.
For example if the Indian family had 8 cats then its too much.
But in your case 3 is ok.
Why dont you just give MPPP a call first and discuss and seek advice from them.
I was told by MPAJ (the lady was very helpful) that you can appeal and allowed to keep pets as long as your cats does not roam outside your apartment compound and does not give any trouble outside e.g. disturbing neighbours rubbish, making noise at night then I see its not a problem.
You just have to make sure that your house is clean if the MPPP decides they want to pay a visit to your house.
Also..... they cannot barge into your house without a warrant.
Remember that.
Dont be itimidated by them.
Remember its your house and the cats are inside your house.
Legally its your compound and no one has the right to enter your house.
But this neighbour keeps complaining bout the smell said everytime he opens the door he can smell and always giving excuse his son is sick, allergic. I do scoop up every day once, mop the floor every week. i don't open the windows cause they will run out. Once my siamese got lost for 5 days lucky my neighbour found her. (not the same complaining neighbour but a malay family). Even two of my cats fell off from the 2nd floor when my mom came to clean the house and said the windows should be left open to let the fresh air in. The apartment here is very badly handled by the management. Even drug addicts live here. Once I had my grill door pried open but the wooden door was left untouched. Even my car got break in and my bank card was stolen.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:08 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
But this neighbour keeps complaining bout the smell said everytime he opens the door he can smell and always giving excuse his son is sick, allergic. I do scoop up every day once, mop the floor every week. i don't open the windows cause they will run out. Once my siamese got lost for 5 days lucky my neighbour found her. (not the same complaining neighbour but a malay family). Even two of my cats fell off from the 2nd floor when my mom came to clean the house and said the windows should be left open to let the fresh air in. The apartment here is very badly handled by the management. Even drug addicts live here. Once I had my grill door pried open but the wooden door was left untouched. Even my car got break in and my bank card was stolen.
I think you should cat proof your apartment.
Put wire mesh on your windows and door grill so that your cats wont accidentally go out.
For your information, I have 14 cats and I mop my cat room twice a day(once morning and once in the evening) and clean their litter box twice a day (morning and evening) too. Cleanliness is my strict priority as I have two children at home.
People have come to my house on several occassions and I am happy to say that they always comment that it does not smell although I have 14 cats although sometimes there is a smell especially after someone does a fresh poop so that we cannot avoid.
What I do is my own 'Febreeze'.
I buy a spray bottle and put softlan and water (Downy Brand - Aromatic) into it and then spray all over my house with it. On the curtains, cushions, all cloth material and I must say that it really work.
No smell at all
I am also using a wood base litter called flushable woody and it does not smell 90%! compared to using litter clay. Wish I found out about this earlier and its so much more easier to clean. Its low in tracking too.
Having pets we must ensure the cleanliness of our surroundings. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying you are not clean but we must strive harder in order to stop people from complaining.
If there is a window next to your neighbour who is complaining, board it up so that he can't say the smell is coming out although I am sure that he will still try to find ways..... to find fault with you.
For me having 3 cats is nothing compared to others who has multiple cats in their houses and apartments.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Hi, Kmleong,

I really agree with Felix the Cat's suggestion about the wood pellet cat litter!

I just switched to it after using silica for some time. The pine is the best litter I've ever used in terms of odour control. It's easy to find, not terribly expensive, organic, flushable, and she's right -- there's almost NO tracking. (And no, I do not work as a salesman for a pine cat litter company. )

I suspect Felix is also right when she says your neighbour is just being disagreeable at this point. Possibly nothing will make him happy. If you can speak to the local council, though, and convince them that your apartment is clean and the cats are not causing any trouble, that may well end the issue.

Another PF member, June, went through a similar trauma some time ago, and she finally succeeded in convincing DBKL that her cats were not causing any disturbance, despite her nasty neighbours' complaints. It was a long thread, but you can read about her experience here: http://forums.petfinder.my/showthrea...DBKL+apartment

Meanwhile, I'm glad you've got someone to foster your cats until you can solve the problem on a permanent basis. Wishing you all the best of luck!

Quote:
I am also using a wood base litter called flushable woody and it does not smell 90%! compared to using litter clay. Wish I found out about this earlier and its so much more easier to clean. Its low in tracking too.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:41 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Hmmm, I never come across the wood type. You mean you can just flush it in the toilet? How much does it cost? Penang is very hard to find a shop that sells everything, I mean like all kinds of stuff. I tried the aromatic one before but the aromatic will dissapiar after a week and so costly cause I'm currently jobless so my budget couldn't afford it so I switch back to hte normal litter which cost me $16 for 10L one. Even before I started having cats I had hamsters but couldn't find any good cage, cause I was looking for big once so they have space to run around. All the shops I went sells very small cages.

As for the neighbour he lives in the corner unit while mine is somewhere in the middle. Each floor have 10 units with 5 units in 1 row while the other 5 units faces each other. Is like a straight corridor with 5 units on the left and 5 on the right so if I walk out of the house I can reach my neighbour on the opposite side with just two steps. From my theory I think why he can smell the smell cause of the narrow corridor walking path and there it's not really open air so the smell can't actually escape. I will post a picture of the actual view of my unit. My fosterer I went to visit her apartment is so much different than the one I'm staying. Once you step out of the house is like open air, no walls or neighbours facing each other.

Even if I fence up the grill door and windows and leave the windows open, will the smell be more stronger? And he keeps complaining his son fall sick so can smell actually make ppl sick? Or is he talking about allergic? From what I know ppl only get allergic to cats fur and not smell so if I were to let my windows open wouldn't that make it even worst as the fur will fly out. i even told the comitee just outside my unit airwell (all units have airwell) there is a pile of feaces probably from other stray cats cause there are lots of strays roaming around but they just wouldn't listen. Comitee said once complain is made you have to evict them.

Anyway, maybe is also good to move out cause the place here is poorly maintain. Even on the airwell people throwing rubbish down from the upper floor and even outside (my 2nd room) so if you look out of the window the rubbish is just next to you. (will post picture of it too). If I were to bring this to MPPP and let's say they allow me to keep them, then my neighbour might not be happy and will find more ways to cause trouble. Also all both lifts are placed at one corner which is next to this trouble neighbour. Everytime I take the lift I have to pass his unit and I always feel like not easy when passing thru. Once that was long time ago he came to my unit in the middle of the night pass midnight he starts knocking on my window. I open to answer and he started quarrelling with me.

Last edited by kmleong; 11-02-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:10 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
I think you should cat proof your apartment.
Put wire mesh on your windows and door grill so that your cats wont accidentally go out.
For your information, I have 14 cats and I mop my cat room twice a day(once morning and once in the evening) and clean their litter box twice a day (morning and evening) too. Cleanliness is my strict priority as I have two children at home.
People have come to my house on several occassions and I am happy to say that they always comment that it does not smell although I have 14 cats although sometimes there is a smell especially after someone does a fresh poop so that we cannot avoid.
What I do is my own 'Febreeze'.
I buy a spray bottle and put softlan and water (Downy Brand - Aromatic) into it and then spray all over my house with it. On the curtains, cushions, all cloth material and I must say that it really work.
No smell at all
Having pets we must ensure the cleanliness of our surroundings. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying you are not clean but we must strive harder in order to stop people from complaining.
If there is a window next to your neighbour who is complaining, board it up so that he can't say the smell is coming out although I am sure that he will still try to find ways..... to find fault with you.
For me having 3 cats is nothing compared to others who has multiple cats in their houses and apartments.
Do you live in a landed or apartment? I have a bottle of softlan which I use to wash my clothes with. How to make one febreeze, like how much water and softlan to add in the spray. Yes you are right, he will still find ways to find fault with me even if I bring this up to MPPP and they let me keep and I don't like that cause I am a peaceful man who get's upset easilly when other peopl e are causing trouble. Everytime he makes a complain I get worried alot and I can't even eat or sleep for days. It's like that feeling you get when you broke up with your girl friend. Every complain he keeps saying the same thing that his son fall sick or his whole family fall sick.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:21 PM
PetFinder Guru

adrianng87 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
hi kmleong,
just to share a story of the same case of my aunt who is facing the same problem currently too.

my aunt lives in a condominium in ampang jaya, she, herself is an animal lover so she would feed any stray cats that passes by the back lorong of her house if she spots any. and so, this made quite a number of strays cats stayed over nights at the back lorong of her house. at the same time, she is having 2 cocker spaniel inside of the house.

things are just fine from the upkeep of her house and the back area, but then, there was one day when the condominium changed the management in-charge, the new management gave her a warning letter to evacuate the stray cats when they spotted there are a lot of cats wandering around her house. then, my aunt stopped feeding them and asked for my help to find the cats a good home. me and my friend helped out to re-home them one by one, and some fell sick cos of starving knowing they are too depending on my aunt to feed them daily. my aunt is not financially capable to send all of them to spca though is nearby to her place and this made my aunt cried for few nights because of her guilt to stop feeding the stray cats to ensure she gets no problem staying at the condo along with the management.

later that, few had died and few were adopted, but the management just don't seem to like my aunt no matter how she already done to not let the cats wander around, like what others have said, people will just find a mistake to blame on you, so the management later blame my aunt's two dogs are making the condo area a lot of foul smells and noise. but before the new management took place there were no complaints at all as the dogs are kept earlier than the cats exist there.

so the second and third warning letters was issued with mpaj's people came inspecting her house. she told the mpaj how she manage the dogs and ask for rayuan and they said they will give more time to evacuate the dogs only. my aunt later tried everything to ask mpaj's office again, and nothing she could do to stop the complaints issued by the management, so she ignored it as that time she is already mentally breaking down.

after 1 month, mpaj came visit again with a letter fining about (im not sure the exact amount) RM500-RM700. then my aunt went and ask for rayuan again, what mpaj did was reduce the amount of fine only, but the same action of evacuating the dogs had to be taken, but given a longer period of time. now my aunt had given up and planning to move out of that condo.

just a suggestion, if you think the management there is already not worth to be paid a single cent for your comfort living in your apartment, then find another one that can let you keep your pets comfortably (of course with a clean environment taking care of your pets), i know its not easy and it'll be quite troublesome, but you got my support! good luck kmleong!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Do you live in a landed or apartment? I have a bottle of softlan which I use to wash my clothes with. How to make one febreeze, like how much water and softlan to add in the spray. Yes you are right, he will still find ways to find fault with me even if I bring this up to MPPP and they let me keep and I don't like that cause I am a peaceful man who get's upset easilly when other peopl e are causing trouble. Everytime he makes a complain I get worried alot and I can't even eat or sleep for days. It's like that feeling you get when you broke up with your girl friend. Every complain he keeps saying the same thing that his son fall sick or his whole family fall sick.
Friend, as long as your neighbour complains, there is NOTHING the local council authorities can do for you BECAUSE the cepumas is " ... provided that your neighbours DO NOT COMPLAIN about your pets ...".

Even if you do keep the number of pets as allowed by the local council in your premises, if any of your neighbours complains of annoyance i.e. barking, smell, etc., your pets CAN be taken away from you. Pet ownership is not a right, it is just an entitlement.
That is why, relationship with neighbours is important. And before you purchase a piece of property, make sure you survey the area and the mentality of the people there.

There are places where you can let your animals (cats, not dogs) enjoy and live outdoors but there are some where you cannot. Either some itchy finggers (people who only know how to play with but not care for the cats) will steal your nice healthy looking cats and dump them when they are sick, or there are stray dogs, or the people there simply hate them and cannot even tolerate the sight of them, let alone the poo-poo in their garden or backlane.

And sad to say, there are even places where you cannot even keep them indoors with peace ... your neighbour several doors away complains that you are causing their asthma!

Whatever it is, I sympathise with you and wish you luck with your furries. Pets are such a joy and they make your life so much more worthwhile, not to mention your improved health.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 11-03-2010, 04:35 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianng87 View Post
hi kmleong,
just to share a story of the same case of my aunt who is facing the same problem currently too.

my aunt lives in a condominium in ampang jaya, she, herself is an animal lover so she would feed any stray cats that passes by the back lorong of her house if she spots any. and so, this made quite a number of strays cats stayed over nights at the back lorong of her house. at the same time, she is having 2 cocker spaniel inside of the house.

things are just fine from the upkeep of her house and the back area, but then, there was one day when the condominium changed the management in-charge, the new management gave her a warning letter to evacuate the stray cats when they spotted there are a lot of cats wandering around her house. then, my aunt stopped feeding them and asked for my help to find the cats a good home. me and my friend helped out to re-home them one by one, and some fell sick cos of starving knowing they are too depending on my aunt to feed them daily. my aunt is not financially capable to send all of them to spca though is nearby to her place and this made my aunt cried for few nights because of her guilt to stop feeding the stray cats to ensure she gets no problem staying at the condo along with the management.

later that, few had died and few were adopted, but the management just don't seem to like my aunt no matter how she already done to not let the cats wander around, like what others have said, people will just find a mistake to blame on you, so the management later blame my aunt's two dogs are making the condo area a lot of foul smells and noise. but before the new management took place there were no complaints at all as the dogs are kept earlier than the cats exist there.

so the second and third warning letters was issued with mpaj's people came inspecting her house. she told the mpaj how she manage the dogs and ask for rayuan and they said they will give more time to evacuate the dogs only. my aunt later tried everything to ask mpaj's office again, and nothing she could do to stop the complaints issued by the management, so she ignored it as that time she is already mentally breaking down.

after 1 month, mpaj came visit again with a letter fining about (im not sure the exact amount) RM500-RM700. then my aunt went and ask for rayuan again, what mpaj did was reduce the amount of fine only, but the same action of evacuating the dogs had to be taken, but given a longer period of time. now my aunt had given up and planning to move out of that condo.

just a suggestion, if you think the management there is already not worth to be paid a single cent for your comfort living in your apartment, then find another one that can let you keep your pets comfortably (of course with a clean environment taking care of your pets), i know its not easy and it'll be quite troublesome, but you got my support! good luck kmleong!
I feel happy that I'm not the only one with this problem but also feel sad for your aunt. Stories like these makes my heart pain. Your aunt have problems with the management while mine is with the neighbour. Moving is the solution but same time makes me sad cause I bought this place while it was still under development. That's why I can't survey the place or ask anyone whether pets are allowed. As you know sales ppl they don't know anything their job is only to register your name for purchases. I stayed here already around five years, spend alot of money on furniture. This was the cheapest apartment (115K) on sale and also near my work place just 5 min drive. Most apartments cost 200k++ here in Penang. By right the management shouldn't interfere. The cats doesn't belong to your aunt, she doesn't keep them in her house so basically it's not under her. In my place there are lots of stray cats roaming around not just on the ground floor but also on the 2nd 3rd floor. They come up by themself but our management doesn't do anything but only take action on cats that have ownership. I'm not sounding like I don't like the presence of these stray cats but just explaining how the management do things. I do feed these strays if they come to my door step especially one particular one which I name happy. Whenever I come home she will run to my block whenever I return home cause she sleeps in a few blocks away. But she doesn't seem to like to eat cat biscuits but wants fish but I think there are other neighbour also feeding them. Now i don't know where she has gone, probably to the upper floor.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the story. Hope your aunt will find a better place.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:08 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
Friend, as long as your neighbour complains, there is NOTHING the local council authorities can do for you BECAUSE the cepumas is " ... provided that your neighbours DO NOT COMPLAIN about your pets ...".

Even if you do keep the number of pets as allowed by the local council in your premises, if any of your neighbours complains of annoyance i.e. barking, smell, etc., your pets CAN be taken away from you. Pet ownership is not a right, it is just an entitlement.
That is why, relationship with neighbours is important. And before you purchase a piece of property, make sure you survey the area and the mentality of the people there.

There are places where you can let your animals (cats, not dogs) enjoy and live outdoors but there are some where you cannot. Either some itchy finggers (people who only know how to play with but not care for the cats) will steal your nice healthy looking cats and dump them when they are sick, or there are stray dogs, or the people there simply hate them and cannot even tolerate the sight of them, let alone the poo-poo in their garden or backlane.

And sad to say, there are even places where you cannot even keep them indoors with peace ... your neighbour several doors away complains that you are causing their asthma!

Whatever it is, I sympathise with you and wish you luck with your furries. Pets are such a joy and they make your life so much more worthwhile, not to mention your improved health.
Well, I bought this apartment when it was still under development so I can't survey the place. i moved in a year later after it got the OC. After a year staying here (the neighbour) bought it from someone else the corner unit. First 1-2 years there was no complains from him. Then he came in the middle of the night pass midnight and started knocking on my window when I answered he started complaining in a rude way instead of talking nicely, so we got into an argument. Every now and then he still makes complains and I get a call from the management to do something about the smell. This time the comittee was involved, three guys + the management + the neighbour all together 5 ppl were there during the meeting. They ask me to evict right away so what is your plan, the MPPP tel no is just right infront of us we can call them right now. What kind of a threat is this?
So what you are saying there's no point go and see MPPP about this matter cause even if I manage to plea from them if the neighbour still makes complain MPPP will find me or take away my cats? I don't think there's any end if we continue fighting cause even if I do keep the place clean when his son or family fall sick he will put the blame on me.

Last edited by kmleong; 11-03-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Unfortunately, some people misunderstand cats and hate them with a passion. Even my ex-neighbour who proclaims herself to be an animal lover. She picks up stray dogs as pets, but told me unequivocally that she just hates cats and wants to kick them the minute she sees them approaching her table for food.

So it could be that this neighbour of yours happens to be one of those cat-haters. And that will cause him to pick on every small little thing, e.g., smell, fur, etc., and blame every negative thing that happened to him and his family on you.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:50 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hi kmleong,
You might wanna take Furkids' advice to ask some of your friends to help inspect / sniff out if the surrounding in and out of your apartment is having the foul smell, again as Furkids said, your nose senses is already somehow immune to your own house smell (whether it is a good or foul smell) you will have problem to determine it yourself. Ask a few friends to help determine it so you can get a fair result.

After you have done that, if foul smell really do spread to your neighbours' apartment lot, you might wanna get try this 'dettol disinfectant spray'.
http://www.dettol.co.uk/sf_allfamily.shtml (p.s i am not a dettol agent ) You might wanna spray this even at the front of your house where people do walk by a lot. Have been using this for few months, i can't say this will help to kill the smell for one whole day with just a spray, but i'm sure it'll definitely help for times when you can't chase out the smells by youself, by the way, this dettol spray also kills bacterias.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:09 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Well, I bought this apartment when it was still under development so I can't survey the place. i moved in a year later after it got the OC. After a year staying here (the neighbour) bought it from someone else the corner unit. First 1-2 years there was no complains from him. Then he came in the middle of the night pass midnight and started knocking on my window when I answered he started complaining in a rude way instead of talking nicely, so we got into an argument. Every now and then he still makes complains and I get a call from the management to do something about the smell. This time the comittee was involved, three guys + the management + the neighbour all together 5 ppl were there during the meeting. They ask me to evict right away so what is your plan, the MPPP tel no is just right infront of us we can call them right now. What kind of a threat is this?
So what you are saying there's no point go and see MPPP about this matter cause even if I manage to plea from them if the neighbour still makes complain MPPP will find me or take away my cats? I don't think there's any end if we continue fighting cause even if I do keep the place clean when his son or family fall sick he will put the blame on me.
kmleong,
When the management already ask to evict the cats, they will find ways to take them away. Don't get tensed here, just another experienced to share from my aunt that I forgot to tell is, when my aunt ignored the management's complaints of her stray cats, the management actually paid some kids to catch the stray cats that stayed over nights at the back area of my aunt's condo, my aunt caught the kids in the middle of the night hiding from one corner and some behind of cars making sounds to attract the cats to go to them like "tsik tsik tsik... meow meow...". When my aunt caught the kids in the middle of the night and asked, the kids admitted they were paid by the management to do a task of CATCH & DUMP the cats elsewhere out of the condo far far away. You might wanna avoid this incident happen to you.

The idea of letting Stella to foster the cats at the moment is a good idea. Let the management know that you have already move the cats out for good, don't suck in the arguments already, it's not worth when people all around you doesn't treat you well. Find a better and nice neighbourhood that allows you to have pets indoor.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:50 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
Unfortunately, some people misunderstand cats and hate them with a passion. Even my ex-neighbour who proclaims herself to be an animal lover. She picks up stray dogs as pets, but told me unequivocally that she just hates cats and wants to kick them the minute she sees them approaching her table for food.

So it could be that this neighbour of yours happens to be one of those cat-haters. And that will cause him to pick on every small little thing, e.g., smell, fur, etc., and blame every negative thing that happened to him and his family on you.
Just a year ago one block away there is a malay family stays there. They had one persian brown male cat. Their grandma can even speak hokkien. I always sembang with her. So she told me that particular neighbour came to them and complain about the smell. I see their is very clean and I don't smell anything besides is only one cat not like many. She told me he's going to make a complaint to the management and she was really frightened that the MPPP might come and take her jojo away so I tried to calm her saying nothing bad will happen. now they have moved already moved out this July I think.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:03 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Hi kmleong,
You might wanna take Furkids' advice to ask some of your friends to help inspect / sniff out if the surrounding in and out of your apartment is having the foul smell, again as Furkids said, your nose senses is already somehow immune to your own house smell (whether it is a good or foul smell) you will have problem to determine it yourself. Ask a few friends to help determine it so you can get a fair result.

After you have done that, if foul smell really do spread to your neighbours' apartment lot, you might wanna get try this 'dettol disinfectant spray'.
http://www.dettol.co.uk/sf_allfamily.shtml (p.s i am not a dettol agent ) You might wanna spray this even at the front of your house where people do walk by a lot. Have been using this for few months, i can't say this will help to kill the smell for one whole day with just a spray, but i'm sure it'll definitely help for times when you can't chase out the smells by youself, by the way, this dettol spray also kills bacterias.
Is it the disinfectant spray? I think I have like 2-3 cans before. I use it ony my dustbin but doesn't actually help with the smell. As for the smell the cleaner who comes and clean the corridor (the walkway) says they can smell a bit but that was long time ago. After I did something about it she said is now ok.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:56 PM
PetFinder Guru

kmleong,
I have tried disinfectant sprays of other brands, but dettol works better, provided your dustbin you spray on has to be cleaned (stains in the dustbin has to be cleaned/washed). You can't just rely on the disinfectant spray or febreeze or whatever things that will make your house smell good because the spray doesn't mention that they can 'clean' dirty items. They only neutralizes the bad odor. If your dustbin is full of thrash, there is no use to neutralize it's smell because the thrash inside can grow more bacterias of bad smell.

Just a friendly reminder, floor and pet items that are always exposed to your pet playing, sleeping & eating have to be cleaned thoroughly, as in mop, sweep or wipe with necessary liquid cleaner. This will rest assure that no foul smell inhibits. Carpets, sofas and curtains too carries a lot of pet smells. Remember to wash these items from time to time, and your house will be shining and smellin' good in no time!

But if you have already tried all of the mentioned above, and your neighbour is still complaining, then you might wanna consider to move out a better place.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:00 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
kmleong,
I have tried disinfectant sprays of other brands, but dettol works better, provided your dustbin you spray on has to be cleaned (stains in the dustbin has to be cleaned/washed). You can't just rely on the disinfectant spray or febreeze or whatever things that will make your house smell good because the spray doesn't mention that they can 'clean' dirty items. They only neutralizes the bad odor. If your dustbin is full of thrash, there is no use to neutralize it's smell because the thrash inside can grow more bacterias of bad smell.

Just a friendly reminder, floor and pet items that are always exposed to your pet playing, sleeping & eating have to be cleaned thoroughly, as in mop, sweep or wipe with necessary liquid cleaner. This will rest assure that no foul smell inhibits. Carpets, sofas and curtains too carries a lot of pet smells. Remember to wash these items from time to time, and your house will be shining and smellin' good in no time!

But if you have already tried all of the mentioned above, and your neighbour is still complaining, then you might wanna consider to move out a better place.
The thing is I mop every week, scoop the litter each day and I have two trays. Because I live alone I don't have much furniture like sofa, only had a double be in my room and a dining table. i haven't thought about spraying the curtains until Felix the cat told me about it. Wish I should have found this forum long ago until now is too late. At first it was a call from the management that someone made a complain every few months. Then this indian family problem they blame on me as well telling the comitee why the one on the 2nd floor also have cats the the problem seem to be like transfer to me. Otherwise the comitee wouldn't get involved.