Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 03-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Red face Cat on LRT?

Hello, friends --

Has anyone transported a cat (in a carrying case) on the LRT?

I haven't seen signs that specifically forbid it. I know if I ask an official, he will probably tell me no, cannot lah!

So, has anyone here tried it? And, more important, did you succeed?

Honestly, I don't see what the problem is. My cat takes less space than the gigantic wheeled suitcases some people bring, and she makes much less noise than the teen-agers at the end of the school day. I'd even be willing to buy a ticket for her. But there I go again, trying to apply common sense to public transit.

Thank you for your help and advice!
Old 03-23-2009, 09:28 AM
PetFinder Guru

namakuAriff is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to namakuAriff
Default Re: Cat on LRT?

hi neko.. urm, i think sum1 already wrote here regarding transporting our furkids in the LRT or public transport..i dun think it as a problem as long as u carry them in their carrier..maybe there are some taxi driver who dont like pets in their taxi but there are always other taxi right?

lets ask the master about this for more info..

have a nice day neko!
Old 03-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Dear Ariff,

Thank you! Your message gave me courage, and I asked the official LRT people at KL Sentral about bringing my cat on the train. "Boleh lah!" they said, seeming surprised at my question. I nearly fell over.

I guess I've been spending too much time on the monorail, which has signs prohibiting cats, dogs, durians... basically all the good things in life.

Maneki Neko is about to become an occasional commuter!

Thanks again,
Amanda
Old 03-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Cat on LRT?

Amanda,is not so much on the train management itself, but the people in the train and the cat.klu like my sakai cat,then susahlah But if your cat is not sakai like mine then 1 problem solve.another problem is the commuter.you know how our people punya thinking kan?? I don't have to elaborate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Dear Ariff,

Thank you! Your message gave me courage, and I asked the official LRT people at KL Sentral about bringing my cat on the train. "Boleh lah!" they said, seeming surprised at my question. I nearly fell over.

I guess I've been spending too much time on the monorail, which has signs prohibiting cats, dogs, durians... basically all the good things in life.

Thanks again,
Amanda
Old 03-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road

Hi maneki neko

i can't help but be attracted to your post. congrats on getting permission to transport neko on the lrt. hope you don't mind my asking but did they indicate it is a one-off "approval", meaning for that specific trip you mentioned or they indicate they have no issues with people who take their cats along in a carrier. i hope it's the latter.

do share with us your cat's journey and experience travelling on the lrt and whether people commented on it. it'd be interesting indeed. most of us are thinking that it would not be "allowed".
Old 03-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dear Ariff,

Thanks again,
Amanda
Sekarang mereka memang lah kata boleh, because they never imagine the cat might decide to POO! Then it might smell like durian and then they say NO! Hehehehehhhh!!! Jangan marah, dear, my mind just went on gear overdrive ... hehehehehhhh!!!
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 03-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleywong View Post
did they indicate it is a one-off "approval", meaning for that specific trip you mentioned or they indicate they have no issues with people who take their cats along in a carrier. i hope it's the latter.

do share with us your cat's journey and experience travelling on the lrt and whether people commented on it. it'd be interesting indeed. most of us are thinking that it would not be "allowed".
Hi, Ashley -- I just asked if the cat, in a carrier of course, can go on the LRT. No mention of one trip or daily commute... The two officials both said there was no problem. If Furkid's imagination proves correct, I expect other passengers will throw me & my stinky cat right off the train. And I think June may also be right -- I wouldn't be surprised if I get some nasty looks. (That's OK. I can give right back. )

Next Monday is the Big LRT Day. Will let you know how it goes!
Old 03-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Meow

a.lya is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi, Ashley -- I just asked if the cat, in a carrier of course, can go on the LRT. No mention of one trip or daily commute... The two officials both said there was no problem. If Furkid's imagination proves correct, I expect other passengers will throw me & my stinky cat right off the train. And I think June may also be right -- I wouldn't be surprised if I get some nasty looks. (That's OK. I can give right back. )

Next Monday is the Big LRT Day. Will let you know how it goes!
Ala. When some people fart in the LRT, nobody throws them out. :P
Old 03-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Gentle Giant

Coony is on a distinguished road

There was once when I came back from a cat show in China & do not want to trouble my wife to come all the way to the airport to pick me up that I decided to board KL Sentral. Innocently I got on board with 2 cats & reach Tasik Selatan station with no problem. Then there was this other day that I decide to go to the airport by KL Sentral again but this time I was stopped & was told no animal allow on board. I told them the last time I board the train with 2 cats & there was no problem, the security told me it was never allow & they must had miss me the last time.

Come to think of it, it's not such a good idea to bring your cat onto the train even in a carrier as we had to be considerate of the fact shud your cat decide to poo or in the event of an unneuter cat decide to spray.

Best Maine Coon Cattery in CFA ID Asia/LA since 2004
The only Maine Coon cattery with 3 DM, 3 Top Ten MCO National & produce the most GC/GP (30) & DW (12) in CFA ID Asia/LA
Old 03-23-2009, 11:04 PM
PetFinder Guru

meira is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to meira

not to mention people yg alergik dengan kucing.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:38 PM
Call me Yuana or Yan ;)

euanna is on a distinguished road

Ughh.. I dread the day when Hari Raya comes and I hv to go back to my hometown in JB.. Can't imagine bringing 2 screaming kittens on the train

Last edited by euanna; 03-24-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:33 AM
PetFinder Guru

alamak,byk lak bercanggah opinionnye,huhu..
Old 03-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Animal Lover

Default Cat on LRT?

takdelah byk sgt brother.for me,better not to bring our pets to the train.Reason being what Coony mentioned earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namakuAriff View Post
alamak,byk lak bercanggah opinionnye,huhu..
Old 03-24-2009, 10:48 AM
PetFinder Guru

hehe..betul jugak tu..hehe,neko, ask ur fren to bring u around with ur cat la, much easier
Old 03-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Petfinder Moderator

I understand what you all are saying. If I had a car or friends who are available to chauffeur me and my cat to the vet or boarding place when we need to go, I would not have raised this question in the first place.

I agonized long and hard about this issue before adopting the cat. Since then, I have had very mixed results trying to get taxi drivers to take us. I can't depend upon taxis to get us where we need to go on time, as so many drivers refuse.

I am not insensitive to the feelings of other LRT passengers. My cat is quiet. If she did poo in her carrier, I would get off the train at the next stop, clean it up, and continue. As for people who are allergic, most are fine until they touch a cat. I doubt my little fur-ball cowering in the back of her carrier is going to put anyone into hospital from the opposite end of an LRT train.

And I also try to see things from the cat's point of view: Of course, it would be far less stressful for her if I put the carrier into a car, and we go directly to our destination.

I suppose most people in KL do drive, do have their own cars. I do not, and there are times when I need to move my cat across the city for one reason or another. My options are these: Struggle with disagreeable taxi drivers, explore the possibility of public transit, or get rid of the cat.

Believe me, I'm not considering the LRT for our entertainment!
Old 03-24-2009, 03:14 PM
PetFinder Guru

neko,which part in KL do you live?if ure staying around i dun mind giving u a ride charge sejam 200rm..ekekekeke joking only la,huhuhu..
Old 03-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Animal Lover

Default Cat on LRT?

Amanda,what I don't understand why the taxi driver refused to take you and your cat.Your cat is in the carrier.'sigh'.what can we do?? Malaysia Boleh to our taxi driver. If you really doesn't have a choice,I guess LRT/Monorail is the only option. Just ignore the stare from commuters.

Quote:
I understand what you all are saying. If I had a car or friends who are available to chauffeur me and my cat to the vet or boarding place when we need to go, I would not have raised this question in the first place.

I agonized long and hard about this issue before adopting the cat. Since then, I have had very mixed results trying to get taxi drivers to take us. I can't depend upon taxis to get us where we need to go on time, as so many drivers refuse.

I am not insensitive to the feelings of other LRT passengers. My cat is quiet. If she did poo in her carrier, I would get off the train at the next stop, clean it up, and continue. As for people who are allergic, most are fine until they touch a cat. I doubt my little fur-ball cowering in the back of her carrier is going to put anyone into hospital from the opposite end of an LRT train.

And I also try to see things from the cat's point of view: Of course, it would be far less stressful for her if I put the carrier into a car, and we go directly to our destination.

I suppose most people in KL do drive, do have their own cars. I do not, and there are times when I need to move my cat across the city for one reason or another. My options are these: Struggle with disagreeable taxi drivers, explore the possibility of public transit, or get rid of the cat.

Believe me, I'm not considering the LRT for our entertainment!
Old 03-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by namakuAriff View Post
neko,which part in KL do you live?if ure staying around i dun mind giving u a ride charge sejam 200rm..ekekekeke joking only la,huhuhu..

June, you got it right! The last time I needed to get to the vet clinic, the 1st two drivers refused, the 3rd one (who was probably Ariff ) had switched on his meter and was ready to go. When he saw the cat carrier, he switched the meter back off and said it was RM50 (for 10-minute drive). I forget now -- it was either driver #5 or #6 who took us. Good thing the cat wasn't in critical condition, because I was about to have a stroke by the time we reached the clinic! Good thing there are a lot of cabs in Brickfields, at least...
Old 03-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

maneki, i have a suggestion. use a carrier that looks like a bag and the cab driver will think it's your hand luggage. wait, i have to rush out to pick up my hubby's dry cleaning (i just remembered ). when i come back, i'll take a picture of the bag and post it here so u know what i mean.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:55 PM
PetFinder Guru

blackie,summore dun forget to tape ur cat mouth so dat he kenot miawww miawww...huhhuhu.. just joking