Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Training & Behavioral Issues

Training & Behavioral Issues Does your cat have an attitude, or just simply refuses to listen to you? Share it with your peers here and learn more about a cat's behavior and training methods

Old 10-01-2009, 09:06 AM
PetFinder Guru

bbpie is on a distinguished road
Default Feliway - For my monsters!

I think this would be the right place to open this thread. actually bb nak ajak/bagi feedback on product feliway in particular dalam usaha nak curb behaviour yang kurang menyenangkan dr our pets.

for my case, i have 3 males and 1 female, all fixed. I dont have much problem with d female, comel. dia pun da berumur so very laid back already.

yg masalahnye is si ketot, kenit & oyen. Ketot role dia the big bully, yg org sebut2 alpha male gitu . kenit is very sweet boy tapinye with all d bullying dia jadi takut nak balik, id have to go jemput dia. he would hang out kat atas atap umah (my house teres). but i must say sbb kan badan dia yg slender panjang he is a very good climber n escape artist!

anyway, things went from bad to worst lately. kenit da start spray bila masuk rumah. cam ala2 throw tantrum gitu. when i dont let him out, he will do it. especially, when he can smell ketot lurking around. si ketot ni plak mmg actor tersohor. he can act so innocent and the next thing u know dia dah jump of kenit n oyen.

Oyen is still ok coz he is playful. bak kate org muke tembok. ketot kejar dia lari nyuruk, after a while he forgets about it n starts pecahkan barang dalam rumah balik. but kenit, his spraying is now becoming cam habit da utk dia, worst if he sees ketot or oyen around him.

sometime ago i read about Feliway, and how its suppose to calm their nerves. so finally i've decided to get it. i just ordered the spray and the diffuser sekali. mendenye da sampai semalam, this saturday will go pick it up n test it.

diffuser tu its ala2 ambi pur gitu, so instead of my room bau wangi it will be filled with cats facial pheromone! pe nak wat kan..heheheh

tag line Feliway - The secret to happy cats. m really hopin it will work.

this is the link to Feliway if you need to read up on it http://www.feliway.com/us/To-know-ev...t-is-Feliway-R

i read that i should give it a full month to see results so i will update from time to time if i get positive results.

in the meantime kalu ade anyone yg da penah gune, feel free to share or give more tips please!
Old 10-01-2009, 09:13 AM
PetFinder Guru

Default Re: Feliway - For my monsters!

The things i need fixed, hopefully with feliway! (info from website)

URINE MARKING
To reduce or prevent urine marking, it is important to avoid cleaning marked areas with products containing ammonia or bleach. Cats are extremely sensitive to strong smells, so it is recommended to use water and rubbing alcohol or an odorless solution to treat soiled areas.

Plug the Feliway® Diffuser in the room where the marking is taking place. If the cat is marking in several different rooms, you may wish to place another diffuser in one of the other rooms.

Leave the diffuser in place for at least four weeks. Replace the refill as required (every four weeks).

The Feliway® Spray may be used in addition to the diffuser to treat a particular area where marking persists.

In such cases, clean the marked area and allow to dry. Then apply the spray daily, to both the site and nearby prominent objects.

Stop site treatment when the cat marks the area with his or her own facial pheromone (is seen to rub the site with his or her head).

Vertical Scratching
Spray six depressions of Feliway® to the scratched surface once a day.

Apply for at least one month and stop when the cat marks the site with his or her own facial pheromones (is seen to rub the site with his or her head).

Most importantly, provide an alternative scratching post nearby.

Multi-cat Households
To reduce stress in a multi-cat household, plug the Feliway® Diffuser in the room where the cat(s) display(s) signs of distress or discomfort.

Leave the diffuser plugged in continuously for at least four weeks. Replace the refill as required.

Make sure that each cat has its own place to sleep, eat, area to use the litter box in peace, and offer a safe hiding place.

During fireworks (for comel)
Remember, during fireworks it is important to keep your cat(s) inside and block the cat-door. However, this may cause your cat(s) further stress, especially in multi-cat households.

Plug the Feliway® Diffuser in the room where the cat(s) rest(s) or retreat(s).

Leave it plugged in continuously for four weeks or as long as the situation persists. Replace the refill as required.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:21 AM
PetFinder Guru

feliway diffuser RM135 & RM70 spray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	General-advice-to-consider-when-using-the-Feliway-R-Diffuser_feli_200x.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	7420   Click image for larger version

Name:	General-advice-to-consider-when-using-Feliway-R-Spray_feli_200x.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	7421  
Old 10-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Bbpie, I don't think that Feliway is going to solve your boys' problem. You see, as kittens grow older and become adults they gradually become more individual and independent. They slowly cease to cuddle up together to sleep and prefer to be alone and protect their private space. They become more territorial. The males more so than females, even though neutered.

In the animal kingdom, there is usually 1 dominant male and several females, plus some youngsters which if male, are driven away from the pack by the dominant male.

However, from my experience with neutered cats, some males are not so dominant and aggressive and are tolerant towards other males and females, living peacefully without challenging each other. It is good to have these type of male cats if you intent to keep more than one male cat plus other female cats because their friendly personalities allow all to live peacefully together.

Tapi if you are unluckly enough to end up with more than one possessive and territorial male cats (it is much harder if they are not sibblings from the same litter or did not grow up together from very small, but you tambah one by one along the way and mereka have a personality clash dan tak kamceng), you will have to do what I do - rotate the time when they are let out of the 3-tier cage.

If you do not do this, Bbpie, one day you are definitely going to lose Kenit and Oyen ... they will run away from home, leaving you with Ketot alone.

Boys are like that, less troublesome if neutered but some problems remain concerning territory. 20% of neutered males do not spray, but if you have a territorial challenge due to your boys' personalities, they will spray, and not only that, they will pee and poo in odd places to push their the markings further, and that would be most unpleasant.

I have many boys from my rescues but nasib baik only 2 are hardwired dalam otak mcm tu , so I gilirkan their timeout from the cage.

p.s. I only use Feliway to spray the cage for very frightened new cats to the vet. They still 'plaster' themselves to the rear corner of the carrier in terror and I still have to 'peel' them out. Hehehehheheeee!!! So I add a tablecloth covering to calm them down.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 10-01-2009, 01:49 PM
PetFinder Guru

my boys r not cage la FK..mmg they are free to roam in n out since small. my house ramai org keluar masuk so its impossible to confine them in d house. si kenit believe it or not, his 3 tier cage in my room, kalu i tak ikat pintu tuh n he is being "memberontak" he bule bukak pintu tu! escape artist as i said!

so far they have been "tolerating" each other for 5-6 years camni. tak penah go far from my house though. lagi2 my neighbours depan belakang seme kenai my boys. kalu nak kate tak balik i dont worry about that too much, they know by 10pm everyone needs to come in, i go looking if they go missing. its tiring juga, cos i keep having to keep rotating my time between them. kene ready stok of ikan rebus, ayam rebus, occassional treat of can food, toys not to mention time n energy to layan play hide, seek & chase games!

the only concern now is the spraying, sbb mum is already noticing it n membebel. now this makes it even harder, coz bile kenit masuk umah sendiri when m not home my mom plak will insist he goes out n play! when m around, when i see him about to do it..i raise my voice n he will look at me playfully n stop. cam a child challenging d parent to see how far he can go! i should have stuck with girls aje, boys ni memacam perangai sekor2

yg peliknye kenit refuses to stand up to ketot, although with other males passing by our gate he will not hesitate to chase away even cats double his size. but ada kalanye i can leave them in d room together sleeping with no incident. outside the house, he would go as far as being palyful with ketot, ajak main kejar2, panjat pokok bagai (he knows ketot cannot panjat pokok like him!)

m thankfull coz the signs shows that kenit still feels home is "home". semalam he brought back a bird n decided to keep it for me! bawak masuk bilik n played with it there. i was mopping till 11pm, feathers blood.. i observed basically bila masuk bilik tido je things a bit tense sbbkan perangai ketot. he dislikes cats even humans to be in there. he wants mummy n him jek. my relatives would also be chased away from my room by him! he is one confused cat! must be the susu lembu he membesar with heheheh

i need to give this a shot la. if this one but tak jalan in a few months. m thinking of building their own space in d yard...insyaallah if ade rezeki.

either that or m moving to a small apartment!
Old 10-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Don't move to apartment - even worse and you will have a lot of new problems you never imagined possible.

Kenit kasi BB his burung ah? Wah, so nice, it is the ultimate compliment from your boboy bcos he gave you his "prize", which he would not give any other cat ... but which a mama cat would give its young for precious nourishment.

Kenit will not stand up to Ketot because in the animal kingdom there is an accepted hierarchy and the animals will live in peace until the "king" get older and will be challenged by the younger and fitter ... and in case of the jungle, get driven off to die alone.

Kenit accepts Ketot as leader of his home territory and the other outside cats are threats, big or small so that is why he defends his territory against the outsiders.

My kotak monster is also like that. He is fondly known as "Mr. Responsibility" because though he is smaller in size compared to the other of my males, he is the one who is on constant alert against outsiders, howling and hissing and threatens to attack any outsider into my garden and house, even cats 3X his size!

He has an uncanny knowledge as to which are my cats and which are not (strays or my neighbours' cats).
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 10-04-2009, 09:03 PM
PetFinder Guru

ok updates!

got d spray n diffuser on saturday. malam tu, i plugged in d diffuser sambil tu lap with wet cloth mana2 bucu furniture tempat dak Kenit rajin aim. i use water only n made sure no funny smell left. susah gak, sbb Kenit da sunat bile dia spray it does not smell hancing cam kencing biase. in fact kekadang i dont even know he's done it if not for the watermarks. so malam tu operasi mengemop n mencuci.

da sudah tu i spray feliway kat seme tempat yg i notice he selalu "angkat montot".

he came in d room n suddendly berlari2 cam org giler..heheheh..from one end of d room to d other, panjat almari bagai. hurm..efek feliway ker? i ignored him. hour later Yen masuk. mamat tu xde lak perubahan pepe, cam biase carik bakul n bebear dia n ZZZZZZZZZ. Ketot masuk kejap n cecepat nak kuar. malam tu dia tak ketuk pintu cam biase. he dissapeared d whole nite till morning, very not like him. biase if he tido outside room, middle of d nite sure ketuk pintu gak nak masuk, efek feliway gak ker?

this morning i again continued with spray kat spots yg sepatutnye. diffuser still on.

ketot is in d room already malam ni. xder nampak yg he is bothered anymore. kenit pun is in here too..in his bakul with his bebear, none of d running amok like semalam. Ketot is ignoring him trus panjat almari, gaya da tido. Kenit pun da tutup mata. allhamdulillah!

pas ni tunggu dak yen plak masuk bilik. lets see if 3-3 in here masih lagi cam selalu ade usik mengusik or they will sleep calmly!
Old 10-04-2009, 09:11 PM
PetFinder Guru

oop lupe nak add. even though kenit asked to be let out initially he did not spray or even acah2 tu spray cam biase!

keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Animal Lover

trevorish is on a distinguished road

bbpie may i know where u buy the difuser feliway? i have a cat who like to scratch up my sofa, even though he has his own scratching post.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:10 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorish View Post
bbpie may i know where u buy the difuser feliway? i have a cat who like to scratch up my sofa, even though he has his own scratching post.
i got it from d petstore near my house in ampang. they did not display feliway, but i just asked them if they could get for me. so happens, they do have d supplier's number, they just dont stock it coz not many ppl ask for it.

i think u should be able to get it from any petshop. just check with the petshop nearest to u first, ask them for it in case they also dont keep stock.

if ur nearby ampang, u can just buy from d place i got it from la :).