Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > PetFinder Lounge > Coffee Room

Coffee Room Gossip on the latest topics or just mingle around and enjoy the atmosphere!

Old 07-05-2008, 01:08 AM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation
Smile Pet Sellers - Are They Evil?

Hi Everybody,

Over this 2 months+ since the inception of PetFinder.my, I have had the great opportunity of meeting lots of kind hearted animal lovers and pet rescuers that have dedicated a huge amount of time and effort in rescuing homeless animals. During this period, I've also encountered numerous people that are strongly against pet selling and portray pet merchants as heartless, evil creatures. Please allow me to share my 2 cents' worth on this as well.

What I observed is that there often lies a prejudice against the pet sellers, stereotyping all of them as evil breeders that deserve to rot in hell. On the contrary, I believe that many pet sellers are equally kind hearted animal lovers like us, and they are neither committing a sin by breeding animals nor making a profit out of them.

First of all, I have seen pet shops that handle the animals with such love and care, and I have many friends that work in small and large pet shops that are as much an animal lover as any of us. It often takes genuine interest and passion for someone to go into their desired business, and I believe that they do care about animal welfare as well.

Secondly, let's not forget how much joy and comfort they have brought to the families that bought the pets. These pets often lead good lives thereafter, and provide strong emotional support to the owners. Yes, the same can be said for pets that are adopted, but the hard cold fact of a free market economy is that supply follows demand, and when there is strong demand for pets, only commercial, for-profit businesses can move fast enough to cater to the demand. The fault is not in the business itself, but the lack of convenient, effective channels for the public seeking pets. If adoption booths are omnipresent in each neighbourhood, I'm sure the adoption rate would be tremendous, and many pet sellers would go out of business. Then again, to generate such effective reach, a lot of cost and human resources would be involved, and that would ultimately boil down to commercialization to generate profits to achieve such growth and reach. The same can be said of vets - they are noble people treating sick animals, but without proper profits, there is no way they can properly establish their services to help the pets.

Third, there are always people that prefer to buy puppies than adopt larger dogs, or those that prefer to spend money on getting a pure breed as opposed to adopting mongrels. An analogy to this is that there are always people that prefer to buy branded Dell or HP computers, paying more for their reputation and perceived quality, as opposed to buying cheaper DIY computers from neighbourhood shops, which often have superior specifications for the same price. People have their freedom of choice, and neither side should classify the other as bad or incorrect. Again, pet sellers are merely filling this vacuum, or window of opportunity.

Fourth, to put it into perspective, breeding animals to KILL would definitely be crueler than breeding animals to sell to loving families, right? In that case, we would unfortunately also have to label all the restaurants, hawkers and mamaks as cruel, evil beasts, since they are directly or indirectly involved in the breeding and killing of sentient, intelligent animals for food. Such poor animals would never, ever experience any love in their lifetime, and their sole purpose of living is to die for us. Again, this is a result of market demand; and until and unless we all turn vegetarians, we should not condemn such acts without thinking of our own role in it.

With these points said, I do strongly oppose those breeders and sellers that inhumanely treat the animals - be it during breeding, housing or selling the pets. In fact, I equally oppose those that subject poultry / farm animals to inhumane breeding, living and slaughtering conditions. These selfish people deserve to be punished, and I give my utmost support to those people that succesfully prosecute them. We have specially created a Hall of Shame here for you to expose any such heinous deeds, with sufficient supporting evidence. Unfortunately, there are bound to be such black sheeps, and if you look around, similar if not greater injustices exist in our own human world, where inhumane living and work conditions are applied to workers, especially low-skilled labour from poorer countries. This exists even in first world nations like United States where many Mexicans are employed at minimal wages with extremely bad living conditions. Then again, that does not mean all employers are evil either (but most of us would love to think so about our bosses)

What we need to do, is not to have a blanket boycott of all pet sellers. Instead, we should keep our eyes open, establishing communications and dialogues with them. When they know that the public and animal lovers are constantly looking over their shoulders, they will definitely buck up and try to improve themselves. For example, look at the consumers that are more environment-aware now - they demand not just for greener products, but that the entire supply-chain and processing of products be as low in carbon-emission as possible. The manufacturers have no choice but to follow market pressure and reinvent themselves.

So, what we should do is to properly educate the sellers, breeders and public, and work closely with relevant authorities and NGOs to weed out the evil ones. Proper legislations on animal welfare and rights need to be enacted and enforced as well.

The path towards a better future definitely warrants a lot of work and effort from all parties. And I believe that this can only be achieved when we all work closely together towards the same goal, and not in harbouring ill-feelings or prejudice towards each other.

I would like to invite different parties - animal lovers, rescuers, pet sellers and breeders to voice their opinions on this issue. Let's hear different sides of the story, and only then can we make a more informed, unbiased judgement.

Last edited by AndyKoh; 07-05-2008 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:03 AM
CEO, EzerNET

Ezer has disabled reputation
Default Re: Pet Sellers - Are They Evil?

Well in a word.. without people selling pets, we won't have pets at all... period!

Think in different perspectives... what about breeding chickens to eat them by the billions? Would that not be far, far more cruel? I can see how a culture say who rares chickens as pets would then deem us barbaric!
Old 07-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Animal Lover

RealityDreamer is on a distinguished road

Good post..

However, for me, I think when it comes to breeding, I would only agree if the dog is bred for a reason. That reason would be to improve the breed. Not just to simply put dog A and dog B together and voila, you get puppies. Sell each for RM2k. Even when you aim to improve the breed, it is not a 100% thing where all the pups would turn out the way you expected them too. Some will be good prospects for show/work, and others more suited as pets.

Sorry I guess this is a little out of topic but there are just way too many ppl doing that.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:12 PM
PetFinder Buddy

ChewChew1987 is on a distinguished road

Not all of them are evil or unkind. I met some people who open petshop because they love animals and they also try to find good homes for them, just in another way.

I also want to open my own petshop in the future, other than having the breeds people normally want, i will also want to put up some mongrel in my shop, for free of course.

If i ever manage to open that shop, i will post a notice here.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation

That is a great idea, Chew, to mix pedigrees with mongrels in pet shops. So your pet shop actually also becomes a partial center for adopting homeless dogs.

Generally, pet shops wouldn't do this as it would take away their space for displaying pedigrees that make them money, but if there is someone kind as you that would forsake some profits to give the homeless animals a helping hand, I'm sure it'll be well received.

Please do let us know when you do open such a pet shop!
Old 07-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Animal Lover

pinangkia is on a distinguished road

For me...i meet lot pet-shop that only 1 to sell pet but not given enough info to raise the pet which their customer brought cos lot of new comer to pet world will always go to pets shop to search for pet.Then when they brought home and start too headace,when to feed?what should i do to keep him healty..etc.this will end up they abandon their pet when it give enough trouble that they cant solve.

for adoption....a lot people have their mind on it but they dont where to look for.as at my place Bukit Mertajam...u cant even find a place for pet adoption.if there arent pet for adopt than how the adoption to begin at BM...this is what had happen to me.maybe there is place at BM but till now i still dont know where is it???

Pet selling is a good way to keep a good healty way for pet...u have to keep your pet on shape to breed and to sell also.am i right??...

this only my 2 cent...thanks
Old 07-11-2008, 01:18 AM
PetFinder Buddy

RoyBlue is on a distinguished road

I agree with AndyKoh. Not ALL petshops are EVIL. Some of them genuinely do care for the animals that they are selling.

Pet shops as Pinangkia puts it, should provide enough information to the potential owners rather than look out for making a quick buck. Whenever I'm at a petshop getting supplies for my two "setans". I always look out for people interested in getting a pet and try to provide some advice as to what to expect from a specific breed.

There was this petshop in SS2 which at one point of time, doesnt SUPPLY their DOGS with drinking water for the sole reason of the dogs not dirtying their enclosures.... I mean wtf... they only give water to the dogs on specific times and all. I'm not naming the place, but those who've been frequenting a lot of petshops within PJ would know which shop I speak of.

Plus I've heard of a few people getting animals from there only for the animals to die a few days later. Upon enquiry, the petshop only offered a discount for the next pet. This my friends, is a situation which is exemplary of a Pet Shop all out to make money and not really interested in the general wellbeing of the dog.

I know quite a number of breeders and most of them actually choose who they sell their pets to and make sure that the new owners of the puppies are ready for the responsibility.

Most first-time breeders sell to pet shops as they do not have the contacts and links to get people to buy their pups. All i can say is that, If you do want to sell your pedigrees, do make sure that they end up in good hands and you'll definitely make a name for yourself as a responsible breeder.

Kudos to ChewChew1987 for trying to get "designer dogs" adopted as well as pedigrees. Hope there are more petshop owners like you in the time to come.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:47 AM
Animal Lover

silentsoul27 is on a distinguished road

Im a dog breeder..im going to be very neutral here..I've seen good & bad breeders and also petshop owners..

Some I really salute the way they love & take care of the dogs..& some I hated the way they treat their dogs..

For me..I believe what goes around comes around..no matter its a breeder or a petshop owner..the minute you treat your pets in a cruel way..it will happens to you in all sorts of ways in your life..in chinese we said "good people have good returns,bad people have bad returns"....so,think again.

I don't usually use the term "PET" when I talk to people..because as far as I am concerned,they are my "COMPANION"..good or bad times they will be there for you..sad to say this but its so true..they are so much better than humans!
Old 07-11-2008, 06:01 AM
CEO, EzerNET

Ezer has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsoul27 View Post
Im a dog breeder..im going to be very neutral here..I've seen good & bad breeders and also petshop owners..

Some I really salute the way they love & take care of the dogs..& some I hated the way they treat their dogs..

For me..I believe what goes around comes around..no matter its a breeder or a petshop owner..the minute you treat your pets in a cruel way..it will happens to you in all sorts of ways in your life..in chinese we said "good people have good returns,bad people have bad returns"....so,think again.

I don't usually use the term "PET" when I talk to people..because as far as I am concerned,they are my "COMPANION"..good or bad times they will be there for you..sad to say this but its so true..they are so much better than humans!
Nicely put SilentSoul,

What you're describing in Chinese is called Karma!