Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 08-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Animal Lover

atmx1990 is on a distinguished road
Default Good dog for running?

Hi! I'm looking for an active dog to go for running/hiking sessions with me. I love the outdoors very much and sometimes I can't go out as much as I don't have many kaki doing the same. Would love to get an active dog, preferably large size. Hopefully loyal. I have plenty of time and energy to take care of the dog and money isn't an issue. I live opposite a padang and have a second house facing the padang as well. Plenty of space for the dog to run around. The one thing I'm most worried about is my dads furniture and antiques. Dad keeps a lot of breakables in the house, especially the living area. My grandfather who is 90+ lives with us as well, so I'm hoping he will be able to take the dog out for walks in the morning. (He usually goes out in the morning for walks in the padang). Will getting a puppy be better? So he will get use to the environment and be able to train. I have no budget for this. :) Thanks! Also any advice would be useful.

Tl:dr I'm looking for an active dog that is loyal and able to work with my other family members. I don't know what breed though.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Animal lover

kenny is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Good dog for running?

German sheppard. If u get a puppy i think u needs to give alot of training. From potty to bitting issues. Are you rdy for it? No matter what age is a dog u can always train them. Is just the matter of how knowledgeable are u. As u said money is not a problem so you can always engage a trainer. Survey around n get a reputable 1. If need arises can always look for my trainer. Try look for medium breeds to test it out first. There are alot. Feel free to ask me as always willing to help.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:50 AM
Animal Lover

not really willing to try. if its a pet i want it to be lifelong. :) i heard german shepherds are prone to heart illnesses. I'm willing to spend a lot of time to train it up. I rather spend a lot of time training a pup than to engage a trainer. its like bringing up your own child i suppose.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Animal Lover

freewilly85 is on a distinguished road

Breeds that I know that has endless energy:
Siberian huskies - I know because I am having them

Alaskan malamutes - I guess they are similar to siberian huskies since both of them were used for the same purpose; pulling sledge

Beagles - but I also heard they are very stubborn (not so easily trained)

found this link, might be useful for you
http://tookooldoggies.blogspot.com/2...t-running.html
Old 08-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Animal lover

Most of the dogs are prone to illnesses. It's just how u take care of it. Food, vaccination, deworm, exercise etc. Yupz freerwilly, siberian husky has endless energy but the question is can we really optimize it? I walk my dogs 3 hours daily n i don't think they r satisfied. Still puppy though so later will be roller blading with them. It's true for beagle but it's just the matter of one's patience n energy. Watch dog whisperer then you will understand. I've got a 8 months old beagle which belongs to my fren (currently overseas), he wants to sell. Feel free to drop by if interested. She's so adorable n cute so i'm fostering free for my fren.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Animal Lover

feltan is on a distinguished road

I see you have multiple needs. You need a dog which can exercise with you and at the same time has good temperament with other family members.
I would like to suggest a Labrador Retreiver. Having said that there are active and not active Labrador around. You must carefully choose from the litter. Ask the breeder about their character and tell them your needs.
I done a lot of research about Lab and Golden Retriever. I ended up with Golden simply because they are slightly less physically demanding than the lab.
Both are equally smart and have good temperament. But they are not good guard dog though.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Animal Lover

I was looking at the Weimaraner but I don't think its very easy to get one here? Any idea?

Yeah, was looking at the Lab. Uncle had a golden retriever but she ran away, or thats what they told me (I was young then) so not looking at getting one. Fond memories lah. I love the German Shepherds! Only problem is the hair though. But thats not a really big problem lah. Can always figure something out. :)

Also, is it advisable to leave the dog unneutered? I am kinda against it and would like to have a litter of puppies as I grow older but I heard unneutered dogs can get very aggressive. If all I need is time and patience to train, thats more than good enough reason for me to not go down that road.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Animal lover

Get a less demanding to try out first. Can always go for the 2nd when you're rdy, which suits for a starter like you. Neuter or not is up to the owner. Plan wisely, think carefully bout the responsibilities. I've got a fren with 2 rotts, 2 gsd, 4 gr, 1 spitz mix n 1 shar pei mix for adoption.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Animal Lover

I once saw a Weimaraner puppy for sale in the pet shop but that time I really don't know much about them. They are certainly a gorgeous breed. However, they are hunting dog. If you are not able to fullfill their needs then you are treating them cruel. I personally don't think that they are suitable here unless you go for hunting as well.
If you prefer not to neuter your male dog, I suggest you get a good quality line so that he can offer stud service to others at least twice per year to keep him sexually fullfilled. Other wise it will cause behavior problem sooner or later.

By the way, Kenny, just to find out why you friend has so many dogs to give away? Is he a breeder? Normally only kennel will keep so many dogs.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:00 AM
Animal lover

She is a fosterer. I intro u to her then u will understand. U might want to go to her place. Ur dog definately will love it there. It's at pj. Let me know when u r free then we can go together.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Animal Lover

What do you mean my dog will love the place? Which part of PJ? Will let you know when I have time to go with you.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Animal Lover

freewilly85 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmx1990 View Post
Also, is it advisable to leave the dog unneutered? I am kinda against it and would like to have a litter of puppies as I grow older but I heard unneutered dogs can get very aggressive. If all I need is time and patience to train, thats more than good enough reason for me to not go down that road.
No. Don't just simply listen to other peoples' saying without doing some research.

People also say dogs can see ghost, why still keep dogs?? You not scared later ghost come inside your house then your dog saw it??

This is the common mistakes among Malaysians. Almost everything also "people say", "old people say". I went to the pet expo this year, saw this booth from jabatan haiwan, they have this poster of dog breeds banned in Malaysia. To my surprise, Alaskan Malamute & Akita were banned. I asked why. They said because they are aggressive. I asked why? They said because they are hunting dogs. I asked why again. They said people said they were bred for hunting.

?????

Study Malaysians!! Wake up!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewilly85 View Post
No. Don't just simply listen to other peoples' saying without doing some research.

This is the common mistakes among Malaysians. Almost everything also "people say", "old people say". I went to the pet expo this year, saw this booth from jabatan haiwan, they have this poster of dog breeds banned in Malaysia. To my surprise, Alaskan Malamute & Akita were banned. I asked why. They said because they are aggressive. I asked why? They said because they are hunting dogs. I asked why again. They said people said they were bred for hunting.

I agree with Freewilly85's comment, but I would also ask: Is there a reason you are not considering adopting a mixed-breed dog?

Malaysia's local dogs are used to this climate. They've adapted over centuries to life in the tropics. Yes, it's true that Huskies love to run and to work, but remember -- they've been bred for centuries to work in arctic conditions! Labs and Golden Retrievers, same story. Yes, they're bred to go out and hunt/retrieve all day, so they have high energy levels, but both breeds originated in cold climates.

Not only are the local dogs adapted well to the climate, they stand a far lower chance of inheriting congenital problems, like hip dysplasia, glaucoma, etc.

Heaven knows, there are so many homeless and truly lovely dogs in Malaysia who have no MKA certificates but who would be over the moon to have a loving owner to take them for a good run! Please don't forget to look at them, too.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Animal Lover

If I can adopt a dog that suits my needs, then why not. Would love to do that. I am inexperienced in bringing up dogs though as this is my first time. I have been around dogs as my relatives keep them, thats all the experience I've got. So I'd rather have a pup, I think it would be a good learning experience for me and the dog. Hopefully we come out better. :)

Studying real hard for this lol. Slowly forming up what I'm looking for in my mind with all the input from what i've been reading. Unfortunately though, I dont think any amount of reading can help me prepare for taking care of a dog. :D

Any suggestions? If I can adopt a pup, that would be awesome as well. More money to spend on dog food. :D
Old 08-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Animal lover

Feltan: Bro, you still got my number right? I don't know how to post the pictures here. It's nearby my place. Come to ss2 n i will bring you there. It's a dog's playground where they can roam, play and swim.

atmx1990: U can always go to the shelters like paws, spca, etc to choose. Get more knowledge too about their behaviour, foods, health etc. If you got the resouces n heart help them out too. They needs alot of support to maintain the place and foods while waiting for a kind samaritan to provide them lovely homes. Spend wisely. CheeRsS!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
atmx1990: U can always go to the shelters like paws, spca, etc to choose. Get more knowledge too about their behaviour, foods, health etc. If you got the resouces n heart help them out too. They needs alot of support to maintain the place and foods while waiting for a kind samaritan to provide them lovely homes. Spend wisely. CheeRsS!
There are a bunch of reputable rescuers here on Petfinder, and they can also be a great resource for you, both in finding the right dog and learning how to take care of it.

A caring rescuer will do his or her best to be sure that you and your adopted dog are a great match. They don't go out of their way to save dogs, clean them up, vaccinate, spay/neuter, etc. just to toss the dog into a home where it may not be a good fit! Likewise, once you've adopted a dog, they should be happy to stay in touch with you, give you advice, answer your questions, and so on.

I don't mean to suggest that shelter staff don't care -- of course they do, but they are often overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of dogs who pour into the shelters. An independent rescuer will probably be more familiar with his or her dogs and will be extra sure that both you and the dog are well.

Wishing you much luck!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Animal Lover

Furrenz.com is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
Feltan: Bro, you still got my number right? I don't know how to post the pictures here. It's nearby my place. Come to ss2 n i will bring you there. It's a dog's playground where they can roam, play and swim.

Feltan does know us :) And yes felix we still have lotsa dogs for adoption so if you are keen to adopt one you know who to look for.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Animal Lover

freerhythm87 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Good dog for running?

Hi, I have a dog up for adoption. Here's his profile http://www.petfinder.my/pets/30236/. He would love outdoor activities but not too sure about hiking since we never brought him to any. And regarding the breakables in your house, he has been very careful in the house so far.

We are moving very soon, so we hope that our dog can be adopted happily. If you need any information, do not hesitate to contact me