Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 06-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default What happens when you pop a pill into a cat's mouth

A Winn Feline Foundation Report On ...

The Evaluation of the Esophageal Transit of Tablets and Capsules in 30 Cats
College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University

Doxycycline is a tetracycline antibiotic commonly used in cats to treat Chlamydia and other infections. Dr. Twedt and others reported on three cases of doxycycline tablet-induced esophagitis and stricture formation in cats in the March/April 2000 issue of the journal Feline Practice. It was suspected that the doxycycline tablets were retained in the esophagus of the cats for a period of time long enough to allow severe inflammation (esophagitis) to occur with resulting scar formation. This phenomenon is also well documented in humans, most commonly with doxycycline and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.

Scarring in the esophagus can cause a ring-like constriction (a stricture), making it hard for the cat to swallow food. Affected cats may be presented to veterinarians for difficulty swallowing and regurgitation within one to two weeks. The diagnosis of esophageal stricture is made by contrast x-rays using barium or with endoscopic examination of the esophagus. In severely affected cats, attempts must be made to open the stricture with balloon dilatation, using an endoscope. In rare cases, risky surgical repair of the esophagus is needed.

The objective of this study was to evaluate the passage of tablets and capsules in the esophagus of cats when given either alone or followed by administration of water. The investigators used an imaging technique called fluoroscopy, which uses x-rays to generate live images. With fluoroscopy, it was possible to watch how long a tablet capsule was retained in the cat's esophagus before it reached the stomach.

The cats used in the study were 30 normal, healthy cats owned by the faculty, staff and students of Colorado State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital. Harmless barium tablets and capsules were used, since they are easy to see using fluoroscopy. After each tablet or capsule was given to a study cat, the location of the tablet or capsule in the esophagus was noted at set intervals for up to five minutes. Then the study was repeated in each cat by giving the tablet or capsule followed by administration of 6.0 ml of water.

When tablets or capsules were given without any water, only 36.7% of them had entered the stomach at the five-minute point; but when tablets or capsules were followed by water, 100% had entered the stomach after 60 seconds. The investigators concluded that administering 6.0 mls of water after tablets or capsules will greatly decrease the risk of esophagitis and stricture formation, and ensure that all of the medication enters the stomach which is essential for adequate dosing. Most household teaspoons hold about 5.0 ml of water. Therefore, it may be prudent for veterinarians to instruct owners to administer water to their cat after giving any tablet or capsule, but especially doxycycline.

--------------------------------------------------------
For further reading:
1. Melendez, L., D. Twedt, et al. (2000). Suspected Doxycycline-Induced Esophagitis with Esophageal Stricture Formation in Three Cats. Feline Practice 28(2): 10-12.

2. Westfall, D., D. Twedt, et al. (2001). Evaluation of Esophageal Transit of Tablets and Capsules in 30 Cats. Journal Veterinary Internal Medicine 15(5): 7-470.

3. Westfall, D., D. Twedt, et al. (2001). Evaluation of the Passage of Tablets and Capsules Through the Esophagus in Cats (abstract). Proceedings 19th American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine Forum, Denver, CO
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 06-04-2010, 08:26 PM
PetFinder Guru

kuntum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What happens when you pop a pill into a cat's mouth

Same goes to other supplements jugak ke...like us here suka bagi Kitzyme tablets?
Old 06-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: What happens when you pop a pill into a cat's mouth

A medicine dropper full of water after a pill sounds like a fine idea all round. We wash our own pills down with water, after all...

Another really informative post. Thank you!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:03 PM
PetFinder Guru

luvnett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntum View Post
Same goes to other supplements jugak ke...like us here suka bagi Kitzyme tablets?
2 lah kan, tapi selalunya kalau kitzyme ni kucing akan kunyah2 dulu macam mkn mkanan so no hal lah kot...
but apa2 pun nak bagi lagi ok lain kali lepas bagi mkn kitzyme kita pastikan cats2 kita minum air..
Old 06-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Animal Lover

violetz is on a distinguished road

Waaa.. kasi kitten telan half of dewormed pill takpe ka? That's is how they dewormed the cats in SPCA Penang. Force the pill into their throat. Kesian tgk Nicky kena sumbat pill tu. Tak suap air pon lepas tu.

Is it safe?
Old 06-12-2010, 03:23 AM
~feline attaché

nurkasih is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetz View Post
Waaa.. kasi kitten telan half of dewormed pill takpe ka? That's is how they dewormed the cats in SPCA Penang. Force the pill into their throat. Kesian tgk Nicky kena sumbat pill tu. Tak suap air pon lepas tu.

Is it safe?
sekali ok lagi..most of us doesnt know about thjis study..and most of us now know that we have to suap air lepas tueh.. so before any damaged done, we might want to change our practice.. deworming memang macam tue ( sooner or later it will be your routine once in 3 months).. if you wanna avoid pill..you can use syrup ( kalau tak silap ada jugak kan ) tapi i tak pandai pakai syrup.. maybe others yang da guan syrup leh bagitau u..
Old 06-12-2010, 04:17 AM
Animal Lover

violetz is on a distinguished road

Last time masa I bela Ciky, a stray campus cat, he got worm in his poop. so my mom post me a syrup based to be fed to him. He like it very much and that make things easy. After a while, it work, no more worm.

This is the 1st time I'm having a pet cat with regular checkups and all. So it is my very first time also seeing them almost choking the poor kitty forcing pills into his throat. *kesiannn

this is the twice time they dewormed him, but i'm confuse why is Nicky's stomach bloating like a balloon. when u touch it, it's like it's filled with air. isn't that a sign of worm? but they deny it and said that he ate a lot. dat's why his stomach is like a balloon. hemm.. they should know what they're doing right as the doctor check on them every week.

just curious though..
Old 06-12-2010, 08:58 AM
PetFinder Guru

kuntum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetz View Post
Last time masa I bela Ciky, a stray campus cat, he got worm in his poop. so my mom post me a syrup based to be fed to him. He like it very much and that make things easy. After a while, it work, no more worm.

This is the 1st time I'm having a pet cat with regular checkups and all. So it is my very first time also seeing them almost choking the poor kitty forcing pills into his throat. *kesiannn

this is the twice time they dewormed him, but i'm confuse why is Nicky's stomach bloating like a balloon. when u touch it, it's like it's filled with air. isn't that a sign of worm? but they deny it and said that he ate a lot. dat's why his stomach is like a balloon. hemm.. they should know what they're doing right as the doctor check on them every week.

just curious though..
I think u have to bring ur cat to the vet ASAP! This time go to a diff. vet. To have a second opinion...To rule out what's wrong with ur cat. I do not want to scare u but it could be something wrong health wise...can u feel his back bone Violetz? What about his voice? What does he like to eat currently? Kibbles or wet food?My cat had this bloating or pot bellied tummy... Go to the vet immediately...could be signs of FIP...oh dear...
Old 06-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurkasih View Post
sekali ok lagi..most of us doesnt know about thjis study..and most of us now know that we have to suap air lepas tueh.. so before any damaged done, we might want to change our practice.. deworming memang macam tue ( sooner or later it will be your routine once in 3 months).. if you wanna avoid pill..you can use syrup ( kalau tak silap ada jugak kan ) tapi i tak pandai pakai syrup.. maybe others yang da guan syrup leh bagitau u..
The pill is most probably Drontal For Cats. Dosage is 1 tablet for 4kg body weight. That means half tablet for a 2kg cat and quarter tablet for a 1kg kitten.

A single dose of Drontal controls all intestinal worms. Currently it is the Gold standard. It consists of two distinctly different drugs, Praziquantel and Pyrantel. It will remove tapeworms (Dipylidium caninum, Taenia taeniaeformis), Hookworms (Ancylostoma tubaeforme), and Large Roundworms (Toxocara cati) in cats and kittens.

However, it is not for use in kittens less than 2 months of age or weighing lee than 1.5 lbs.

The syrup form given to smaller kittens is pyrantel pamoate. It does not remove tapeworms. Very young kittens cannot be given Drontal.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 06-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntum View Post
Pill yg lebih besar tu dia telan dengan lebih elok. Masalahnya ialah pill macam Doxycycline ni kecik, for example for my 1kg or less kittens, the dosage is a quarter of a very tiny tablet (vet sometimes kasi yg bulat utk anjing, jadi kena potongkan). I drop the tiny quarter tablet right deep into its throat and tutup mulut dia, tiub hidup perlahan, stroke its throat, and cheek, yg degil tak swallow sebab the pill is small. Stroke, stroke, stroke .... manja, manja ... buka mulut intai and the tablet is still there . That is why I follow-up carefully with 1mls syringe of water given from the side into the cheek pouch.

But then to play safe, I always follow up tablets with 1ml of water. Ada vet yg degil kata tak payah but I always do it myself to be sure because I have read the research report recommendations.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:47 AM
Animal Lover

ginafindadog is on a distinguished road

Very interesting!!! I have a pill dispenser but it never occured to me to follow it up with a some water. Great info. She never acted like it was stuck in her throat or has problems with swallowing her pills. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Ginafindadog, haha! You know what? Very small pills like a quarter tablet of Doxycycline cannot use a pill dispenser. They are too small to be held securely by the popper even, and when you plunge the handle, it shoots right through leaving the pill still in the popper ... have to pop carefully with your FINGERS . I have perfected the technique now, belai/stroke the frightened animal until it really calms down, whisper softly to it all the time, slowly & gently tilt the head until the lower jaw opens a little (don't use force, you can dislocate its delicate jaw hinge), very gently pull the lower jaw open until you can see the entrance to the throat.

Very carefully aim to drop the tiny pill right at the back of the throat in the centre (must be centre and deep bottom, otherwise it will move its tongue and spit it out again all wet and sticky).

If your nervous and trembling fingers miss the mark and the animal spits it out, wipe the tiny pill and your fingers completely dry, stroke the animal to calm it down again (calm yourself down too, because the animal will pick up your negative vibes and struggle) and make another attempt calmly.

Good luck!