Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 04-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Animal Lover

5664995 is on a distinguished road
Default unhygienic cat

my cat has a problem -- it likes it's own body full of shit.

every time it goes to shit in the litter box, for some reason it's whole body's fur will have it's own shit stuck on it, either it sat on it's own shit, slept on it or stepped on it.

the solution for now is to clean it's shit instantly after it dumped them, but it has a habit of dumping in the middle of the night or when im sleeping.

i tried cleaning it with a cloth or bathing it, but i can't do that everyday as it harms the cat.

now nobody dares to approach it as it is very smelly and dirty. also, it caused the whole house to stink and i have to clean the house everyday since it walks and sleeps everywhere (especially my bed) with it's body full of shit.

help? if this continues i'll have to set him up for adoption or something...
Old 04-23-2010, 04:55 PM
PetFinder Guru

Felix The Cat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: unhygienic cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5664995 View Post
my cat has a problem -- it likes it's own body full of shit.

every time it goes to shit in the litter box, for some reason it's whole body's fur will have it's own shit stuck on it, either it sat on it's own shit, slept on it or stepped on it.

the solution for now is to clean it's shit instantly after it dumped them, but it has a habit of dumping in the middle of the night or when im sleeping.

i tried cleaning it with a cloth or bathing it, but i can't do that everyday as it harms the cat.

now nobody dares to approach it as it is very smelly and dirty. also, it caused the whole house to stink and i have to clean the house everyday since it walks and sleeps everywhere (especially my bed) with it's body full of shit.

help? if this continues i'll have to set him up for adoption or something...
Welcome to the club my friend I also have a cat that does this. It will wee wee in his litter box but when it comes to poo poo he will do it outside the litter box and sleep on it Somemore he is white and a DLH This will only happen when his poo poo is soft. I have to bathe him almost every week to clean him up . If his poo poo is hard then I will have no problem

Is your cat longhaired? If yes, try trimming the fur around his bottom to avoid the poo poo sticking to it. Another thing is cats tend to poo after each meal so try not to feed him in the night time to avoid him from poo poo while you are asleep. Sounds cruel but you have to solve the problem right. Giving him up for adoption will not solve the problem I am afraid.

Good luck to you

Felix The Cat - Dee wonderful wonderful cat!
http://felixthecats.weebly.com
http://livinginmyworld-phyllis.blogspot.com/
Old 04-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Animal Lover

yeah i know, giving it away for adoption is the last resort as i really love it.

but i can't keep it up if it keep doing that -__-. i have to work and can't look after it 24 hours a day.

it is a DSH, it does this everyday, i bathe it yesterday, and now it stinks again.. how do i clean it?
Old 04-23-2010, 05:17 PM
PetFinder Guru

Felix The Cat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
yeah i know, giving it away for adoption is the last resort as i really love it.

but i can't keep it up if it keep doing that -__-. i have to work and can't look after it 24 hours a day.

it is a DSH, it does this everyday, i bathe it yesterday, and now it stinks again.. how do i clean it?
Sorry to ask, is your litter box cleaned? If its full of shit and not cleaned then your cat will end up dirty. I clean my litter box once in the morning and once in the evening.

Just a suggestions what you can do is buy some baby wipes (wet tissue) and wipe your cat with it. So, you don't have to bathe it all the time. Just rub where its dirty. Baby wipes has a nice smell so after you wipe your cat with it I am sure it will smell nice too

Next solution is avoid feeding it after 6 pm to avoid it from poo poo at night.

Felix The Cat - Dee wonderful wonderful cat!
http://felixthecats.weebly.com
http://livinginmyworld-phyllis.blogspot.com/
Old 04-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Animal Lover

i clean it everytime i am free or instantly after it shat. the thing is, after the cat shits, it play with it, like frolicking around it, scratching it etc.

now i use a wet cloth and wipe it's body but the smell stays. i guess baby wipes would do the job.

however.. is there a permanent solution to this?
Old 04-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Is your cat's poo well-formed, or is it having diarrhea?

My cat had a wicked bacterial infection and was leaving very small amounts of poo here and there all over the house, almost as if she didn't realise it was coming out of her. A trip to the vet and antibiotics put an end to it.

If it's not diarrhea, I wonder if your cat was separated from its mother too early. Kittens learn from their mums how to keep clean, bury their waste, etc. The next question is, how can your cat learn that now? We need advice from PF members like June -- someone who has fostered very tiny kittens...

I worry about you giving this cat up for adoption, because it's just passing the problem on to someone else, and the next person may not deal with it as responsibly as you.

Quote:

Old 04-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Animal Lover

not really, it is around 1 and a half months old when it was separated from the mother. i guess i'll ask the vet on my next trip there for it's routined deworming. but you know how is it with the vets, ask them something, and they charge you rm20. or they do some little tests that costs rm30 -.-

also, the cat's poo is pretty well-formed, not wet and fairly hard. but it likes sleeping on it. it will lick itself afterwards, but there are places it cannot reach. and it will still smell very bad although it has licked itself clean.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:25 PM
PetFinder Guru

Nana is on a distinguished road

hi..

may i ask how old ur cat is now? and what kind of cat litter do you use?

pls don't give up. especially that u love him. be positive about it. one of my cats had behavioral probs too. it took quite a while, experimenting with options and all that before she finally behaved.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Animal Police

Joey'A is on a distinguished road

Quote:
not really, it is around 1 and a half months old when it was separated from the mother. i guess i'll ask the vet on my next trip there for it's routined deworming. but you know how is it with the vets, ask them something, and they charge you rm20. or they do some little tests that costs rm30 -.-

also, the cat's poo is pretty well-formed, not wet and fairly hard. but it likes sleeping on it. it will lick itself afterwards, but there are places it cannot reach. and it will still smell very bad although it has licked itself clean.
I'm adopting my dear Choco 2 week after Chika lost our dear Mika. In two lonely weeks.. he is acting weird. pooped everywhere, shit himslf~ messing with his food n milk bowl~ and keep on meow-ing everytime he saw us. I think he need fren..then after he met Choco.. everything back to normal.. try get less-alpha kitten to be his fren~ maybe he need fren. Cat demand lots of attention. If he cant get from you.. attention from his fren may do~

I'm suggesting u to buy some toys to distract him from play with his dump~ A good catnip toy will easily get him back on game after the business..

just share wuts in my mind~ :)

http://tailstory.blogspot.com/
Old 04-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default unhygienic cat

HI!! There,there are many possibility of your kitten's behaviour.Top list is separated from their mother at early age. Your kitten shouldn't be separated at 1 1/2 month. Ideally,kitten should be given up for adoption when they are 4 mths and above.

Most kittens learn the basic of litter box lesson from their mothers by abt 1 mth old. It's a case of kitten see kitten do in their quest to mimic the action of their mothers. Kitten who are orphaned or weaned a way from their mothers a early age may be clueless abt litter box etiquette or may just be slow learners. I have rescued 2 mths old kitten from the street. He was attacked by a dog and his mother nowhere to be seen. Took him in. Named him Max. Still now,he has destructive behaviour, one of the sign of separating from his mother at young age. Last week, he pulled my 2 mths old laptop adapter. Causing my laptop fell to the floor and damage the screen. I have to pay RM1000 to replace a new screen. Not to mentioned he kneaded/chewingon my curtain.Many more long list of his behaviour but I what I'm trying to say is,you can't just send this kitten away due to his behaviour. There must be reason. You are the best person to find out since you are the one taking care of this kitten. I'm trying to disipline him but he was such a slow learner. Normally at nite at I put him in the cage because if I didn't,he will run,jump and knock down everything. My husband and me can't sleep if we don't cage him at nite. But starting last week,I take him in sleeping with us in the room. I want him to observe and learn from 04 other cats that sleeping with us in the room. Maybe he has a long way to go but we have time. He is not going anywhere. I won't send him away just because he is naughty.

Secondly, it could be the litter sand. Your kitten might not like the litter she is using right now. You see, feline's nose is at least 100 times more sensitive than human' nose. In addition, cats are not big fan or citrus or perfume smells. Size also matters to most cats. Put yourself in your cat's paw fora moment. Would you rather walk on a fine grained surface ora rocky road filled with large size pellets?? Put your cat's needs and desires first. Test your kitten's preference by buying small bags of different types of litter. Put all these sample of litters in different litter box and see which litter box your cat visit repeatedlly. Also,please remember do not ever put the litter box next to your kitten's feeding station. Cats are clean freak and abhor the notion of having their meals next to their toilet. Locate the litter box in a place in your house that is easy to access but not in noisy,high traffic area. Cats are like human too,nobody like to be watch while doing their business.

There are many other several reasons. You shud send this kitten for medical chk up first. If she's healthy, maybe is time for you to observe and find more info abt your kitten's behaviour. They are many books in the shop and in the internet on cat's behaviour. The link below was given by our forumer friend, Euanna.

Guide to a Healthy Cat
[URL="http://rapidshare.com/files/97912133/Guide_to_a_Healthy_Cat_-_E.Wexler_Mitchel.rar"]http://rapidshare.com/files/97912133/Guide_to_a_Healthy_Cat_-_E.Wexler_Mitchel.rar[/URL

Quote:

Last edited by June; 04-25-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: unhygienic cat

See? I knew June would have lots of good advice!
Old 04-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Animal Lover

wah that's a really big wall of text there june, and thanks for the advise.

anyway, i'm glad it is back to normal now and i have no idea why. i guess im fortunate then lol.