Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 11-14-2010, 09:50 PM
PetFinder Buddy

kmleong is on a distinguished road
Default Need Advice for 3 Furry Friend

My three cats got evicted from my apartment and if I find another apartment for my 3 furry kids I need advice what should I do to upkeep my unit. How often do I need to mop the floor and what type of sand better for apartment use?
Old 11-15-2010, 01:50 AM
PetFinder Guru

Marcelleve is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve
Smile Re: Need Advice for 3 Furry Friend

Hi,
I think your 3 furry kids are making a mess and it is a norm on their age.
You have to mop 3x a week and please be careful with what solution you are using.

Based on experience and still our cleaning practice, we only use half cup of vinegar and one teaspoon of cooking oil, in one pail of water.
If you like to have a nice smell, just cut half of the lemon and 2 drops of oil - it works best in wooden furnitures contrast to what people's belief.
In tiles we use, half cup of vinegar, half spoon of baking of powder in one pail of water.

For more info:
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5542072_fl...mful-pets.html

Please use non-toxic, biodegradable wood shredding or recycle paper in pellets like the brand called 'Celect'. It is more easier for you and your furry friends won't make so much mess.
It is not hazardous to your health and to them as well.

Refer to this link for more info: http://www.felinesandfriends.org/content/clumping.htm

Thank you.

Best of luck,
Eve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmleong View Post
My three cats got evicted from my apartment and if I find another apartment for my 3 furry kids I need advice what should I do to upkeep my unit. How often do I need to mop the floor and what type of sand better for apartment use?
Old 11-15-2010, 02:59 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Default Re: Need Advice for 3 Furry Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelleve View Post
Hi,
You have to mop 3x a week and please be careful with what solution you are using.

Based on experience and still our cleaning practice, we only use half cup of vinegar and one teaspoon of cooking oil, in one pail of water.
If you like to have a nice smell, just cut half of the lemon and 2 drops of oil - it works best in wooden furnitures contrast to what people's belief.
In tiles we use, half cup of vinegar, half spoon of baking of powder in one pail of water.

For more info:
I heard ppl saying use Dettol cause it smells better and I don't understand what you mean by using pellet, you mean for the litter tray?
Please use non-toxic, biodegradable wood shredding or recycle paper in pellets like the brand called 'Celect'. It is more easier for you and your furry friends won't make so much mess.

Refer to this link for more info: http://www.felinesandfriends.org/content/clumping.htm

Thank you.

Best of luck,
Eve

I heard ppl saying use dettol cause it smells better. I don't understand what you mean by using pellet, you mean for the litter box? My previous foster told me that wood shredding is not good cause when they pee it becomes like dust so the urine will go down to the bottom. But I haven't seen anyone selling in Penang so far. How do you dispose of it the paper pellet and wood shredding? Can it be flushed? As for the smell control it works better than the sand type?

Last edited by kmleong; 11-15-2010 at 03:22 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 AM
PetFinder Guru

Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve
Thumbs up Re: Need Advice for 3 Furry Friend

I only use Dettol only in the bathroom and doorknobs more than that - no- As long as organic and non toxic works best for me, my health and my family members as well.
Dettol caused irritation to eyes for sensitive pets. You may not notice which pets are sensitive only when they get reaction from their watery eyes and sneezing.
I've just purchased a litter wood pellets because my neighbor went to an organic shop in KL and bought extra for me.
There is no brand written 'coz it is sold per kg. , it is actually from a wood shredding of bamboo and other wood that they combined and recycle.
I don't smell anything at all in her home.
And based on our experience, we don't have any problem using organic or recycled raw materials 'coz no side effects and more easy to use esp. during clean up.

There is a DIY yourself litter from newspaper in the forum here but you have to clean it daily.
Sand crystallites are not all sand, most of them are chemicals that are hazardous when inhaled by pets and you as well.

Anyway, we use recycled wood and we usually flush it or add it as fertilizer for the outdoor plants.
If there is no available we go for 'Celect'.
You can read the blog by 'COONY' a PF member as well.

Please refer to the link: More info and research will help you out.
http://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=4292

Best of luck,
Eve

Quote:
I heard ppl saying use dettol cause it smells better. I don't understand what you mean by using pellet, you mean for the litter box? My previous foster told me that wood shredding is not good cause when they pee it becomes like dust so the urine will go down to the bottom. But I haven't seen anyone selling in Penang so far. How do you dispose of it the paper pellet and wood shredding? Can it be flushed? As for the smell control it works better than the sand type?
Old 11-15-2010, 03:56 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
I only use Dettol only in the bathroom and doorknobs more than that - no- As long as organic and non toxic works best for me, my health and my family members as well.
Dettol caused irritation to eyes for sensitive pets. You may not notice which pets are sensitive only when they get reaction from their watery eyes and sneezing.
I've just purchased a litter wood pellets because my neighbor went to an organic shop in KL and bought extra for me.
There is no brand written 'coz it is sold per kg. , it is actually from a wood shredding of bamboo and other wood that they combined and recycle.
I don't smell anything at all in her home.
And based on our experience, we don't have any problem using organic or recycled raw materials 'coz no side effects and more easy to use esp. during clean up.

There is a DIY yourself litter from newspaper in the forum here but you have to clean it daily.
Sand crystallites are not all sand, most of them are chemicals that are hazardous when inhaled by pets and you as well.

Anyway, we use recycled wood and we usually flush it or add it as fertilizer for the outdoor plants.
If there is no available we go for 'Celect'.
You can read the blog by 'COONY' a PF member as well.

Please refer to the link: More info and research will help you out.
http://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=4292

Best of luck,
Eve
So the recycle paper pellet type can also be flushed? What if our pets get irritation, will it go away in time or see a vet? Last time in one of the petshops I bought from them the recycle paper pellet which I use for my hamster bedding. it's not celect brand, don't know if that one can be use for cats? So which one is better to use? Recycle paper or wood? Btw, the Dettol I was referring to the one for mopping floor not the spray can.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:47 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Hi,

For more info:

Thank you.

Best of luck,
Eve

You were saying use baking powder is it the small tin that use for making cake?
Old 11-15-2010, 07:01 PM
PetFinder Guru

adrianng87 is on a distinguished road

Hi kmleong,
For a superbly clean up-kept house, normally people with maid would sweep and mop the whole house twice a day (everyday morning after breakfast and night after dinner). My cousin's house is superbly clean with the maid cleaning everyday.

What I am suggesting is not to hire a maid to clean, myself I am staying at a condominium like your apartment, I don't have a maid to do these, so this is what I practice (almost), you might wanna consider some of these important cleanings:
1. Sweep and mop once a day;
2. Wash necessary fabric (sofa, curtain, table cloth, etc) items once a month;
3. Wipe surfaces of each items (cabinet, tv, table, window, etc) once a week;
4. Throw away unnecessary items placed in living room;
5. Clear and wash your rubbish bin every day;
6. Get a safe air freshener place at center of living room to keep the air breezy
7. Be observant no matter where you go around in your aparment, you might find proof to what leads to the bad odor!

Good luck!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:13 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianng87 View Post
Hi kmleong,
For a superbly clean up-kept house, normally people with maid would sweep and mop the whole house twice a day (everyday morning after breakfast and night after dinner). My cousin's house is superbly clean with the maid cleaning everyday.

What I am suggesting is not to hire a maid to clean, myself I am staying at a condominium like your apartment, I don't have a maid to do these, so this is what I practice (almost), you might wanna consider some of these important cleanings:
6. Get a safe air freshener place at center of living room to keep the air breezy
7. Be observant no matter where you go around in your aparment, you might find proof to what leads to the bad odor!

Good luck!
What about vacuuming? The thing is I live alone nobody else live with me. Does your apartment let you keep pets.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:03 PM
PetFinder Guru

Yes, do vacuum if needed, vacuum actually does the same purpose of sweeping, just that it sucks up the dirt faster and more efficient, using a vacuum is better when the furs are really stubborn sticking on floor.

I think, living on your own somehow gives you an advantage to clean your house better as there may not be anyone dirtying your place. Hehe...

The rules of my condominium here is just as same as anywhere else, like what blackie007 have posted a section of the Strata Tittle Act in the another topic of yours http://forums.petfinder.my/showthrea...0820#post90820, the management here do practice it, but if there's no complaints by the neighbours then they are fine. No any house pets should be any disturbance or interference to the people. If we walk the cats or dogs at the park here we have to take full responsibility to clean the pee and poop.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:00 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Yes, do vacuum if needed, vacuum actually does the same purpose of sweeping, just that it sucks up the dirt faster and more efficient, using a vacuum is better when the furs are really stubborn sticking on floor.

I think, living on your own somehow gives you an advantage to clean your house better as there may not be anyone dirtying your place. Hehe...

The rules of my condominium here is just as same as anywhere else, like what blackie007 have posted a section of the Strata Tittle Act in the another topic of yours http://forums.petfinder.my/showthrea...0820#post90820, the management here do practice it, but if there's no complaints by the neighbours then they are fine. No any house pets should be any disturbance or interference to the people. If we walk the cats or dogs at the park here we have to take full responsibility to clean the pee and poop.
If your management doesn't allow pets wouldn't it be more risky to take them out for a walk cause your neighbour will know that you have a cat or a dog and will make trouble.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:18 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Hi kmleong,

Good luck!
Quote:
What about vacuuming? The thing is I live alone nobody else live with me. Does your apartment let you keep pets.
Hi there kmleong!

1. Vacuum = an electrical appliance that uses air to suck dusts and small unwanted particles.

2. I'm actually living in a villa suite room.. almost look like an apartment n studio combine but larger.We are allowed to keep pets as long we maintain good & proper hygiene but dogs are not allowed.

3. That wood pellet can be used as well.

4. Yes, the baking soda we used on cakes & bread.
Refer to this link: http://www.bakingsodabook.co.uk/baki...our_home.shtml

5. I know the Dettol in liquid form. We hardly use it. I grew up in the family who only likes everything organic, recycled n' natural. so if you would like to use more safe to your furry friends, cheaper and cleans well, I suggest organic based on my experience since childhood.

5. Which type of food you feed to your furry friends is always the outcome of the poo.

6. My siblings and I very sensitive to fumes n' cleaning products so I know what others are going through that are sensitive including furry friends.
It's so hard to breath and painful to nasal & eyes.

Tip: Rosemary n' lavender helps to remove any bad odor. Please don't use oil from lavender or rosemary. Cold storage/ groceries ( rosemary leaves) & flower shop (lavender, sometimes rosemary, too). Soak it for 15-20 mins. in one cup of water - for more stronger effect, soak it with 1 cup of water to 1 cup of rosemary & lavender after 30 mins, add one tsp of. of olive oil, one whole lemon or lime (squeezed it in and put the skin as well) and then pour in the rosemary & lavender solution into the pail.
Do this once a week after you sweep, mop and clean your pet's cage or litter box.
Rosemary and lavender solution can be use as air freshener or by dampen the solution on a towel (not too wet) to wipe it in your pet's coat once a day.

Your pet is relax n smells fresh.
Your home will smell like a garden.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Eve
Old 11-15-2010, 11:44 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Good luck!

Hi there kmleong!

1. Vacuum = an electrical appliance that uses air to suck dusts and small unwanted particles.

2. I'm actually living in a villa suite room.. almost look like an apartment n studio combine but larger.We are allowed to keep pets as long we maintain good & proper hygiene but dogs are not allowed.

3. That wood pellet can be used as well.

4. Yes, the baking soda we used on cakes & bread.
Refer to this link: http://www.bakingsodabook.co.uk/baki...our_home.shtml

5. I know the Dettol in liquid form. We hardly use it. I grew up in the family who only likes everything organic, recycled n' natural. so if you would like to use more safe to your furry friends, cheaper and cleans well, I suggest organic based on my experience since childhood.

5. Which type of food you feed to your furry friends is always the outcome of the poo.

6. My siblings and I very sensitive to fumes n' cleaning products so I know what others are going through that are sensitive including furry friends.
It's so hard to breath and painful to nasal & eyes.

Tip: Rosemary n' lavender helps to remove any bad odor. Please don't use oil from lavender or rosemary. Cold storage/ groceries ( rosemary leaves) & flower shop (lavender, sometimes rosemary, too). Soak it for 15-20 mins. in one cup of water - for more stronger effect, soak it with 1 cup of water to 1 cup of rosemary & lavender after 30 mins, add one tsp of. of olive oil, one whole lemon or lime (squeezed it in and put the skin as well) and then pour in the rosemary & lavender solution into the pail.
Do this once a week after you sweep, mop and clean your pet's cage or litter box.
Rosemary and lavender solution can be use as air freshener or by dampen the solution on a towel (not too wet) to wipe it in your pet's coat once a day.

Your pet is relax n smells fresh.
Your home will smell like a garden.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Eve
Rosemary is it the one use for cooking? Our restaurant also use rosemary for cooking. Which flower shop are you referring to? The one one the road side or the flower shop like Florist?

Last edited by kmleong; 11-16-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:55 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
If your management doesn't allow pets wouldn't it be more risky to take them out for a walk cause your neighbour will know that you have a cat or a dog and will make trouble.
kmleong,
Alright, see it this way, the management at my condo still highlights the legal "no pets are allowed" as per legal, but somehow the committee here had meetings over and over for years and came to a conclusion that whoever keep pets will have to take full responsibility under any circumstances.

There are cases that their dog really barks a lot at night and they were really given a complaint letter, as you see, here, still action is given, it is not an exemption of what they say can 'abaikan' the house rules here from the legal act, but the majority here (residence at my condo) actually win over the management during a formal meeting and it is sort of like a given 'green card' verbally, if it doesn't disturb any people, to be kept closed indoors, to take responsibility leash and clean droppings if were to brought out to the park here.

If I can remember, there are also cases that are same as your situation too, and people are forced not to keep pets at that level. My condo here only have 5 units per level, up till 25 levels with 3 blocks.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:06 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
kmleong,
Alright, see it this way, the management at my condo still highlights the legal "no pets are allowed" as per legal, but somehow the committee here had meetings over and over for years and came to a conclusion that whoever keep pets will have to take full responsibility under any circumstances.

There are cases that their dog really barks a lot at night and they were really given a complaint letter, as you see, here, still action is given, it is not an exemption of what they say can 'abaikan' the house rules here from the legal act, but the majority here (residence at my condo) actually win over the management during a formal meeting and it is sort of like a given 'green card' verbally, if it doesn't disturb any people, to be kept closed indoors, to take responsibility leash and clean droppings if were to brought out to the park here.

If I can remember, there are also cases that are same as your situation too, and people are forced not to keep pets at that level. My condo here only have 5 units per level, up till 25 levels with 3 blocks.
My former foster when she foster my cats she was staying in an apartment and she had 2 kittens + mine = 5. The management let them keep as long they stay indoors and doesn't make noise. One time one of mine keep making noise especially when in the cage i don't know why maybe she wants me and she got a visit from the guard. Other than that nothing really bad happen. Are they alot of people in your condo have pets.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:14 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
My former foster when she foster my cats she was staying in an apartment and she had 2 kittens + mine = 5. The management let them keep as long they stay indoors and doesn't make noise. One time one of mine keep making noise especially when in the cage i don't know why maybe she wants me and she got a visit from the guard. Other than that nothing really bad happen. Are they alot of people in your condo have pets.
Yes, in fact there are a lot, some even have big sports dogs like Golden Retriever and German Sheapard kept indoors. I see their maids walk their dogs very often.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:29 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Yes, in fact there are a lot, some even have big sports dogs like Golden Retriever and German Sheapard kept indoors. I see their maids walk their dogs very often.
I was adviced by one of my friend here in petfinder that using wood pine is the best solution. Last time I always use sand (cheap one cost 16ringit for 10L). That day I went to get my stuff back from my former foster cause she is going back to langkawi. She didn't throw away the rest of the sand cause don't want it go to waste. While I was carrying the litter tray to my car I can smell it has some kind of funny smell. Is not poo smell but one funny smell. Maybe that's where the bad smell come from. Regarding the wood pine is it the same one as we use for hamster bedding?
Old 11-16-2010, 02:08 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Rosemary is it the one use for cooking? Our restaurant also use rosemary for cooking. Which flower shop are you referring to? The one one the road side or the flower shop like Florist?
Hi Kmleong,
Yeah... that's the same Rosemary use for cooking you know why...hehe Are you a chef?

Any flower shops will do just make sure you use lavender and rosemary.

To make the smell more intense, one tablespoon of ground basil leaves as well, if you like the smell of Basil. ^^

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Eve
Old 11-16-2010, 02:24 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Hi Kmleong,
Yeah... that's the same Rosemary use for cooking you know why...hehe Are you a chef?

Any flower shops will do just make sure you use lavender and rosemary.

To make the smell more intense, one tablespoon of ground basil leaves as well, if you like the smell of Basil. ^^

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Eve
Are the flowers expensive? I use to work in a German Restaurant. We use alot of seasoning like basil rosemary and cajun, brown sauce. When soak in water just normal tap water or need to be warm?
Old 11-16-2010, 10:49 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Are the flowers expensive? I use to work in a German Restaurant. We use alot of seasoning like basil rosemary and cajun, brown sauce. When soak in water just normal tap water or need to be warm?
Hi,
Warm is enough. If dry use hot water. For storage, keep it covered n cool.

It's not expensive. U only need 5 stalks each. In dry, don't use Mcormick brand-too expensive, just buy in packs.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:47 AM
PetFinder Guru

kuntum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Good luck!

Hi there kmleong!

I'm sure he knows what that means, dear . He just wants to know how many times he needs to do that ...