Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 08-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Neutering, What to expect, preparations??

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
jgn lupa cakap dgn cikgu besar,to instill semangat sayangkan binatang & love to nature dgn budak2 sekolah.biar tambah semangat.heheheheh!!
No, June, bukan budak-budak ... this is the area SPCA keeps targeting in their education and it is not addressing the critical success factors which involve adults.

ADULTS are the ones that overrule the kids at home, make all the decisions and take action against the animals. Adults in the home, adults in the community, adults in the offices, government and everywhere else, infamous being the Pulau Ketam tragedy. Education for the ADULTS is the critical issue.

Remember my neighbours' kids that rescued the very young kittens dumped among some garbage at the corner of a playground? They took the kittens home to save them from stray dogs but the parents returned from work in the evening and took the kittens out in their car and dumped them along the roadside further from their house with the rain pouring down at night? And the kids got a good scolding for doing something the parents said was a stupid thing to do?

Nurkasih, one thing I must warn you from our experience is that you need to keep the project a very, very low profile thing. It needs to be carried out very strictly on a need-to-know basis. I'll tell you why.

This is a first class initiative, but sadly, our society is largely a third-class mentality one. Many, many irresponsible opportunistic people around will start to dump the cats in their neighbourhood into the school, creating a huge problem for the school. You will find boxes and bags of newly born kittens with eyes yet to open hanging on the fence and at the gate, etc. Big cats, small cats, healthy cats, sick cats as well as dying cats. They will also find out who you are and where you live and dump at your house and neighbourhood as well.

It is for this reason that when pet rescuers do this kind of thing, they do it in utmost secrecy. Being anonymous and invisible enables them to help the cats successfully without opportunistic and irresponsible people sabotaging the good efforts. This is very, very real.

Also, you need to keep things very, very neat and clean. Both the feeding stations and the poo. Keep the cats and their feeding stations well away from the canteen for hygienic reasons. If the cats are well fed, they will not venture near or loiter around the canteens for food and cause complaints.

Provide areas for poo which you can scoop up and throw in the garbage bins to be taken away because this can create a lot of intolerance and resentment for the poor cats' presence ... and the poor creatures have no where else to live.

Whatever you do, be very, very careful, discreet and diligent and you will achieve much for the poor, defenseless creatures.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies

Last edited by FurKids; 08-04-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Neutering, What to expect, preparations??

SETUJU 100%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

ibu si Belang was dumped in front of my unit heavily pregnant.tuan dia yg bodoh & bangang tak mau neuter kucing & biar dia rayau2,so easy way out buang kat rmh org yg ada kucing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
No, June, bukan budak-budak ... this is the area SPCA keeps targeting in their education and it is not addressing the critical success factors which involve adults.

ADULTS are the ones that overrule the kids at home, make all the decisions and take action against the animals. Adults in the home, adults in the community, adults in the offices, government and everywhere else, infamous being the Pulau Ketam tragedy. Education for the ADULTS is the critical issue.

Remember my neighbours' kids that rescued the very young kittens dumped among some garbage at the corner of a playground? They took the kittens home to save them from stray dogs but the parents returned from work in the evening and took the kittens out in their car and dumped them along the roadside further from their house with the rain pouring down at night? And the kids got a good scolding for doing something the parents said was a stupid thing to do?

Nurkasih, one thing I must warn you from our experience is that you need to keep the project a very, very low profile thing. It needs to be carried out very strictly on a need-to-know basis. I'll tell you why.

This is a first class initiative, but sadly, our society is largely a third-class mentality one. Many, many irresponsible opportunistic people around will start to dump the cats in their neighbourhood into the school, creating a huge problem for the school. You will find boxes and bags of newly born kittens with eyes yet to open hanging on the fence and at the gate, etc. Big cats, small cats, healthy cats, sick cats as well as dying cats. They will also find out who you are and where you live and dump at your house and neighbourhood as well.

It is for this reason that when pet rescuers do this kind of thing, they do it in utmost secrecy. Being anonymous and invisible enables them to help the cats successfully without opportunistic and irresponsible people sabotaging the good efforts. This is very, very real.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Nurkasih and June,

I want to share with you this very, very good document published by the American Bar Association in the Spring 2007 Animal Law Committee newsletter entitled "Who Protects Them" i.e. Who Speaks For The Animals ...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WhoProtectsThem.pdf (489.2 KB, 131 views)
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies

Last edited by FurKids; 08-04-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:16 PM
~feline attaché

nurkasih is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
jgn lupa cakap dgn cikgu besar,to instill semangat sayangkan binatang & love to nature dgn budak2 sekolah.biar tambah semangat.heheheheh!!

QUOTE=FurKids;56016]Ya, projek mcm nie kena pandai-pandai enlist a few support members secara diam-diam ... one of them is definitely the school gardener sebab the plant nursery is very, very important as a hiding place ... also at least one cikgu influencial, dan kalau dapat of course the cikgu bosar ... hehehhehheeeeee!!! A reliable sekuriti guard also ... to feed and put in clean, fresh water especially on days when everyone is off.
[/QUOTE]

Furkids,

My situation is like this.. My house is attached to the school area..So the problem of nobody feeding will not be a problem.. The real problem is that.. talking to the principal... I may have to really plan..so that things will go on smoothly.. I am planning to budge in and take the Kelab Pencinta Alam.. Nway..I would plan for the best right now...
Old 08-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurkasih View Post
Furkids,

My situation is like this.. My house is attached to the school area..So the problem of nobody feeding will not be a problem.. The real problem is that.. talking to the principal... I may have to really plan..so that things will go on smoothly.. I am planning to budge in and take the Kelab Pencinta Alam.. Nway..I would plan for the best right now...
Ooooh, cam tu ... in that case, I suggest you NOT talk to the principal first, takut dapat a straight "No" (to tell you the truth, the Principal CANNOT officially give you a straight yes ... dia terpaksa kata "No" as Principal of the school because of certain implications (from my knowledge and experience) even though personally he/she is a diehard cat lover ... and then you will get a definite roadblock and the school will have to keep an eye on you and the cats in the area before you can even do anything AND if you get caught going against their decision, lagi susah on the cats.

If you do not approach the principal and do it on your own (hey, your house is next door mah, so you can pretend you are not involving the school) and the principal kalau dia sporting, dia boleh bikin TATAU and close one eye and feign non involvement.

Wah, you live next door, itu sudah banyak bagoi, Nurkasih ... you have many advantages oredi ... saya ingat you are one of the teachers or your child is a student there and you live somewhere else .... good, my friend ... plan and strategise well and the poor cats will benefit much.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:08 PM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Ooooh, cam tu ... in that case, I suggest you NOT talk to the principal first, takut dapat a straight "No" (to tell you the truth, the Principal CANNOT officially give you a straight yes ... dia terpaksa kata "No" as Principal of the school because of certain implications (from my knowledge and experience) even though personally he/she is a diehard cat lover ... and then you will get a definite roadblock and the school will have to keep an eye on you and the cats in the area before you can even do anything AND if you get caught going against their decision, lagi susah on the cats.

If you do not approach the principal and do it on your own (hey, your house is next door mah, so you can pretend you are not involving the school) and the principal kalau dia sporting, dia boleh bikin TATAU and close one eye and feign non involvement.

Wah, you live next door, itu sudah banyak bagoi, Nurkasih ... you have many advantages oredi ... saya ingat you are one of the teachers or your child is a student there and you live somewhere else .... good, my friend ... plan and strategise well and the poor cats will benefit much.
Yerp..tadi i pergi jenguk2 the cats.. Memang ... dekat 50 kot.. adoiii and I know umah hujung pun ada simpan strays but I dunno until what extend... Principal..memang out of the scene dah..hehehe
Old 08-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Adoiiii!!!!

Start spaying all the females quick (especially the 4 month old females before they get preggie becos once they start having babies, you have to wait at least 2 months until the babies can eat on their own and at the same time you need to be around to watch over them ensuring that they are safe and do not wander off to drown in longkangs, get run over by cars, killed or beaten by cruel 2-leggeds including their children, get collected and thrown like garbage far, far away or get killed by wandering, hungry stray dogs).

Make sure you check and ensure all females taken away for spaying do not have any nursing young hidden anywhere. To do this, you need to spend time to know every cat for a long time to know who has delivered when and where and how many kittens are dependent on mommy, etc.

Lepas tu baru you go after the males. You need to urgently stop the increasing numbers.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Animal Lover

mak ai!! 50 ekor?? adoi,cepat2 tangkap yg betina.gi zass secepat mgkn sebelum durang mengawan lg.dah selesai yg betina baru ko tangkap yg jantana.aduh!!! Berpeluh akak dengar. inilah akibat perbuatan manusia yg tak tau nak neuter kucing masing2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurkasih View Post
Yerp..tadi i pergi jenguk2 the cats.. Memang ... dekat 50 kot.. adoiii and I know umah hujung pun ada simpan strays but I dunno until what extend... Principal..memang out of the scene dah..hehehe
Old 08-04-2009, 04:27 PM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Adoiiii!!!!

Start spaying all the females quick (especially the 4 month old females before they get preggie becos once they start having babies, you have to wait at least 2 months until the babies can eat on their own and at the same time you need to be around to watch over them ensuring that they are safe and do not wander off to drown in longkangs, get run over by cars, killed or beaten by cruel 2-leggeds including their children, get collected and thrown like garbage far, far away or get killed by wandering, hungry stray dogs).

Make sure you check and ensure all females taken away for spaying do not have any nursing young hidden anywhere. To do this, you need to spend time to know every cat for a long time to know who has delivered when and where and how many kittens are dependent on mommy, etc.

Lepas tu baru you go after the males. You need to urgently stop the increasing numbers.
I saw 3 pregnant females.. and I count at least 20 babies around my house and the school..Dat day I saved one from the drain..yet to open the eyes and the mum came and took it away.. Maybe coz the drain is very deep kot..so dia tak panjat masuk.. T tak leh panjat keluar.. The moment I letak her baby on the ground..she immediately took it away..

Those yang depan umah I..they know me.. 3 of them I believe.. Maybe I start with that one... The others..still learning them..
Old 08-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Nur, put food and lots of clean water everyday nearby (protected from rain which will spoil the food, and alas in a big wide bowl of water to protect from ants) so that the mums will not have to venture out far away from babies to look for food, leaving the babies vulnerable (especially if they are at an age which can crawl around) to various dangers.

Get Blackwood because the huge breeder packs give very good savings(remember, you have to feed many!) and the quality is pretty good.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:42 PM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Nur, put food and lots of clean water everyday nearby (protected from rain which will spoil the food, and alas in a big wide bowl of water to protect from ants) so that the mums will not have to venture out far away from babies to look for food, leaving the babies vulnerable (especially if they are at an age which can crawl around) to various dangers.

Get Blackwood because the huge breeder packs give very good savings(remember, you have to feed many!) and the quality is pretty good.
I am more of thinking how am I going to feed them without alarming the students , the canteen operators, and my neighbours... Kena g survey kawasan lagi.. coz they are EVERYWHERE.... atoi... memang dah tahap critical sekarang..
Old 08-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Set up the feeding station at your house side, and get them to gradually migrate over for more effective monitoring and easier management. Animals do migrate towards a food source.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:09 PM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Set up the feeding station at your house side, and get them to gradually migrate over for more effective monitoring and easier management. Animals do migrate towards a food source.
Owh yea... betui2... kena letak tempat yang ok sbbnyer.. ari tue I dah buat dah kat depan umah... Diornag buat umah I tempat lepak..diragasnyer panjat keta ayah i yang kaler itam tueh... Pastue dikencingnyer merata.. Mak ayah tak bagi da.. SO now... Ingat nak bagi makan kat betul2 luar umah...
Old 08-05-2009, 07:10 AM
PetFinder Buddy

balqis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to balqis

fur kids boleh kasi alamat klinik kembiri kat setapak tu tak?brapa diorg kenakan byaran ye?
Old 08-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Call me Yuana or Yan ;)

euanna is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by balqis View Post
fur kids boleh kasi alamat klinik kembiri kat setapak tu tak?brapa diorg kenakan byaran ye?

Address:
DBKL-SPCA KLINIK KEMBIRI
Pusat Kurungan Haiwan
Jabatan Kesihatan DBKL
Jalan Air Jerneh
Air Panas, Setapak
53200 Kuala Lumpur

Tel:
03-40243446 (office)
012-2581041 (Manager – Mr G.R. Krishnan)

Cats
Female Spay RM 60
Pregnant RM 70

Male Castration RM 40

Kalau nak bawak kucing kembiri situ, kena call awal2 buat appointment dulu. Pastikan kucing betul2 sihat kalau tidak, hari operation tu dia akan reject. Dan kena puasakan(tak leh makan dan minum) kucing malam sebelumnya, dalam 12 jam sebelum surgeri (atau start puasa pukul 7 / 8 malam).
Old 08-05-2009, 08:39 AM
PetFinder Guru

linda_gamble is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to linda_gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by balqis View Post
hai balqis...meh lin tolong kasikkan...

DBKL-SPCA
KLINIK KEMBIRI
PUSAT KURUNGAN HAIWAN,
JABATAN KESIHATAN DBKL
JALAN AIR JERNEH
AIR PANAS, SETAPAK

balqis, sebelum pg wat appoitment dulu..nie no nyer

03-40243446
012-2581041 (MR.G KRISHNAN)

Caj yang dikenakan...

MALE- RM40
FEMALE-RM60
PREGNANT-RM80

Datang awal tau..lin baru g minggu lepas....kalo lambat..lambatlah siap..
lin pegi arie tue kul 11.00pg siap kul 5.00ptg...
datang seawal 8.00pg-8.30pg- klinik bukak jam 9.00pg....
jadiklah orang pertma...
cepat pg cepat balik....
Old 08-05-2009, 09:04 AM
PetFinder Guru

nak tanyalah.....
kucing lin female baru 3 hari di kembirikan...
lin dah pakaikan kon tapie dier tak nak..asik tanggal jerk
masalahnya...

1) dier jilat n gigit soletape yang tutup luka tue..di gigit nak tarik...nak wat camner ekk?

2) masalah lain....kucing saya pagie tadie dier berak berdarah..normal ker?
knaper ekk? sbb operate ker?

mintak tolong bagi pendapat..... thanks
Old 08-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Linda_gamble,

1) dier jilat n gigit soletape yang tutup luka tue..di gigit nak tarik...nak wat camner ekk?

Tak per, biar dia tanggalkan, it is all right, dulu semasa saya hantar kucing ke Klinik Kembiri (mereka letak plaster) kadang-kadang hari pertama selepas sampai ajer kat rumah letak dia ke dalam sangkar, petang yg sama pun plaster tu dah tanggal. Kucing memang tak suker benda melekat kat badan ... aku pun tak suker plaster kat kulit saya, kadang-kadang gatal dibuatnyer ... Just do not go touching the wound with your hands out of curiosity, etc. and make sure the wound is alway clean and dry by changing the layers of newspaper lining the bottom of the cage the minute the cat pees/poos.

Kucing-kucing saya sekarang neuter kat tempat lain yg buat surgery so neat and nice tak perlu lekat plaster atau pasang e-collar langsung from Day 1.

2) masalah lain....kucing saya pagie tadie dier berak berdarah..normal ker? knaper ekk? sbb operate ker? Berat berdarah tak ada kena mengena dgn surgery tersebut. Bila kucing dah sembuh betul at the end of 14 days, you can address that problem. Make sure you do not stress the cat dan bagi peluang dia sembuh betul-betul kerana utk female cat (berbanding dengan male cat), the surgery is a major operation where the whole womb and ovaries are removed.

Perhatikan darah dalam poo ... is it mixed in the poo or is it surrounding the poo? Kalau the former, it points to a different part of the intesting (hookworms?), kalau the latter, it is at the end eg. colon, mcm piles. Check and see.

Meanwhile, Linda kasi dia makan ayam rebus sahaja for softer poo to reduce the discomfort from the cause of the bleeding.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:24 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Linda_gamble,

Tak per, biar dia tanggalkan, it is all right, dulu semasa saya hantar kucing ke Klinik Kembiri (mereka letak plaster) kadang-kadang hari pertama selepas sampai ajer kat rumah letak dia ke dalam sangkar, petang yg sama pun plaster tu dah tanggal. Kucing memang tak suker benda melekat kat badan ... aku pun tak suker plaster kat kulit saya, kadang-kadang gatal dibuatnyer ... Just do not go touching the wound with your hands out of curiosity, etc. and make sure the wound is alway clean and dry by changing the layers of newspaper lining the bottom of the cage the minute the cat pees/poos.

Kucing-kucing saya sekarang neuter kat tempat lain yg buat surgery so neat and nice tak perlu lekat plaster atau pasang e-collar langsung from Day 1.

2) masalah lain....kucing saya pagie tadie dier berak berdarah..normal ker? knaper ekk? sbb operate ker? Berat berdarah tak ada kena mengena dgn surgery tersebut. Bila kucing dah sembuh betul at the end of 14 days, you can address that problem. Make sure you do not stress the cat dan bagi peluang dia sembuh betul-betul kerana utk female cat (berbanding dengan male cat), the surgery is a major operation where the whole womb and ovaries are removed.

Perhatikan darah dalam poo ... is it mixed in the poo or is it surrounding the poo? Kalau the former, it points to a different part of the intesting (hookworms?), kalau the latter, it is at the end eg. colon, mcm piles. Check and see.

Meanwhile, Linda kasi dia makan ayam rebus sahaja for softer poo to reduce the discomfort from the cause of the bleeding.
fuhh.....lega
thanks bro...thanks sesangat...cam nak ribut rasanya perasaan nie...
asik kol vet jerk....thanks
Old 08-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Animal Lover

Bro,si Linda risau sebab kucing dia tak naka pakai e-collar tp dok nak gigit plaster tu. tp aku tak pastilah klu dia jilat wound dia ke tak.