Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > General Discussion

General Discussion General information and discuss on animal rescue, adoption and advocacy

Old 09-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Pet Epicurean

aliciahorsley is on a distinguished road
Default Pet Epicure Cat For Adoption

Adoption Guidelines

Here are a few things you need to know before adopting from Pet Epicure

1. All our cats and kittens are neutered prior to leaving. This is NON-NEGOTIABLE.
2. They will also have up to date vaccinations and be dewormed.
3. The earliest we can home a kitten is at 14 weeks.
4. We prefer kittens be adopted in pairs unless you already have a friendly cat at home.
5. We reserve the right to refuse you application as these cats deserve the very best homes. If we deem you unsuitable, please try to understand. sometimes, it is due to the cat's personality, and sometimes, it is because we may feel you lack experience, resources or commitment.
6. The adoption fee for DSH is RM50, DSLH is RM100 and DLH is RM150. This is to reflect the amount of extra maintenance a cat will require. We do not want to place our long hairs with people who cannot afford the time or money to groom the cats properly.

We try to help homeless animals
Our pets eat PINK raw food
Old 09-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Pet Epicurean

Default Re: Pet Epicure Cat For Adoption

Why you cannot bring us your unwanted cats...

Sadly, it seems more people call about surrendering their cats than those who want to adopt. It breaks my heart to turn away these innocent animals who end up dumped, PTS or some other unknown fate.

However, we cannot take in every waif and stray because ultimately, we are a business. Furthermore, space is an issue. And finally, we do not put cats to sleep and so far have not embarked on a Trap-Neuter-Release campaign. Once a cat comes in here, the only way out is if it has gone to meet his Maker or to a new home.

So where do we get all our gorgeous beauties?

Well, they are not really quite so beautiful when we first pick them up!
Usually, THEY COME UP TO US. Yes, it's probably cowardly but we like friendly cats Also, it's as if the cat is ready to accept out help and will agree to gracefully tolerate what we have to put it through (bathing, vet care, vax, desexing, grooming, man-handling by my kids) while helping it to find a home.

Last edited by aliciahorsley; 09-26-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Pet Epicurean

How we keep 'em entertained....

Here are a few novel ways which we employ to entertain our 30 odd guests. Maybe you can try some with your own cats.

Crickets
This is a little cruel but we release some crickets and let them practise hunting!

Fish
We have a couple fo tanks of fish and we move them from room to room for the cats to watch. It's like CAT MTV.

Birds
We have a lovely cage of finches that we move from room to room so the cats have something to watch obsessively!

The Kibble Run
We throw a few pieces of kibble on the floor and get the cat to chase after it. They enjoy the exercise and pouncing and we get to laugh lots!

Bubble Bubble, Lots of Trouble
Cat love to chase and eat bubbles! What can I say. The kids love to help and the cats are always shocked that their mouthful of bubble, is nothing.

And the Usual Suspects - Laser Pointers, Traditional Feather Teasers. Cat Nip, Scratching Posts, Climbing Posts, Paper Balls etc....
Old 09-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Sorry to interrupt your posts, Alicia, but I'd like to say this is a great post. I haven't tried giving them fish or birds to watch, but I know my Blackie always runs to the balcony and watch when the birds fly by every morning and evening.

And chasing the kibbles is one of Blackie's favourite game. No, I wasn't clever enough to initiate it...he started the game first. He'll dig into his food bowl and fish out a kibble and chase it around my home, pouncing on it like it's a tiny insect. But he won't eat any of his kibbles that he played with...he's a clean, hygienic cat....hahaha.

And he likes to chase torch light beams, too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciahorsley View Post
How we keep 'em entertained....

Here are a few novel ways which we employ to entertain our 30 odd guests. Maybe you can try some with your own cats.

Crickets
This is a little cruel but we release some crickets and let them practise hunting!

Fish
We have a couple fo tanks of fish and we move them from room to room for the cats to watch. It's like CAT MTV.

Birds
We have a lovely cage of finches that we move from room to room so the cats have something to watch obsessively!

The Kibble Run
We throw a few pieces of kibble on the floor and get the cat to chase after it. They enjoy the exercise and pouncing and we get to laugh lots!

Bubble Bubble, Lots of Trouble
Cat love to chase and eat bubbles! What can I say. The kids love to help and the cats are always shocked that their mouthful of bubble, is nothing.

And the Usual Suspects - Laser Pointers, Traditional Feather Teasers. Cat Nip, Scratching Posts, Climbing Posts, Paper Balls etc....
Old 09-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Animal Lover

Ferreted is an unknown quantity at this point

super!
Old 10-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road

hi fereted

have you found the cat you want? if not, you won't go amiss by checking out the lovely felines at pet epicure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreted View Post
super!
Old 10-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Pet Epicurean

here is a touching article of why we cannot accept every animal. overcrowding is somethign we at pet epicure strive to avoid.

a crisis of overcrowding
Old 10-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Pet Epicurean

GIDEON is a rare chocolate tabby
He's a sweetheart and just an all round kind of cats. He likes people, cats and dogs. He's good with kids and he isn't picky about food. He is perfectly toilet trained and loves to play.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Banned

Hi Alicia

gideon is really beautiful - nay, elegant.

can you share a bit with us why a chocolate tabby is rare?

i like that he has underlying pale grey/white hair underneath the chocolate stripes.

Quote:

GIDEON is a rare chocolate tabby
He's a sweetheart and just an all round kind of cats. He likes people, cats and dogs. He's good with kids and he isn't picky about food. He is perfectly toilet trained and loves to play.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Pet Epicurean

chocolate is rare as it is a less dense black. most local cats are black tabbies. even less dense than chocolate is cinnamon. if these cats mated and dilution came in too, then we'd have blues (from black), lilac (from chocolate) and fawn (from cinnamon).

cat colour genetics is fascinating and i try to read up as much as possible when i can. here's a link to a good starting point

new breeds pedigree cats are often breed to be dilute or less dense in colour (for instance the ragdoll).
Old 10-19-2008, 12:26 AM
Banned

hi alicia

thanks for sharing the info. now i know why.

i know that what we deem black in cat's colour is actually a very deep brown that it looks like black so that in a way i thought that brown is a colour that occurs frequently, now i know it is rare.

i quite like the way you provide a good description of your cats' colouration and pattern. i also understand (to my way of thinking) that it is not so much trying to "pretend" to be "pedigree colouration" but rather a good point of telling people , at least the general population who wants to boos their ego by owning "pedigree" cat at minimal costs or for free, that our "domestic" cats possess the same variety of colour and pattern genes that most pedigree cats are judged on (amother other factors), in fact the pedigree cats and "domestic" cats get their genes from the same ancestor.

in a way, it will at least open up people's mind regarding "domestic" cat (instead of thinking that they are "common, ugly, "not pedigree enough", this will help create awareness that they are just as good, if not better than pedigree cats, etc.

Quote:
chocolate is rare as it is a less dense black. most local cats are black tabbies. even less dense than chocolate is cinnamon. if these cats mated and dilution came in too, then we'd have blues (from black), lilac (from chocolate) and fawn (from cinnamon).

cat colour genetics is fascinating and i try to read up as much as possible when i can. here's a link to a good starting point

new breeds pedigree cats are often breed to be dilute or less dense in colour (for instance the ragdoll).
Old 10-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Pet Epicurean

a very pertinent point ashley.
domestics have the most colour and pattern variation because pedigrees are essential domestics bred to breed true. this means that when you put the two together, you get can predict what you will get. the variables that you can influence are size, colour and shape.

while the normal colours are most common in domestics, rare colours do occur. if you are smart enough, you can identify them and 'kena jackpot' la!

long hair is a little common...i always like the intriguing colours. so much more subtle and though provoking.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Pet Epicurean

for instance, we have an extreme rare, never seen before (by us anyway) a black smoke tuxedo.

a normal solid colour cat's hair shaft is one colour. but some cats look 'faded' because they are smoke, cameo or chinchilla. this means that individual hair shafts are silver but have a solid colour tip. The tipping is pronounced most strongly in the Smokes it amounts to 2/3 to 1/2 of the hair shaft. With the Cameo it amounts to 1/3 of the hair shaft. With the Chinchilla, it amounts to 1/8 of the hair shaft.

Last edited by aliciahorsley; 10-19-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Pet Epicurean

this is linnet, a dilute calico girl.. she is very very people oriented and has beautiful blue eyes. dilutes are not very common and the blue eyes would rival any ragdolls.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Pet Epicurean

this is Naya, a rare red tabby girl. normal red cats are male. she is a loving mother and has successfully raised three healthy and adorable kittens. it would be nice if she could be adopted with her daughter, Yvaine.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Pet Epicurean

this is Yvaine, Naya's daughter. she is a dense dilute calico with cornflower blue eyes. she is a little shy but will come to you when she is comfortable and knows you mean her no harm.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Pet Epicurean

this cheeky little man is called marcus. he's a very mundane brown tabby and white but makes up for lack of unusual colour by being playful and humourous. he is a man or child's cat as he embodies the essence of feline grace and joy.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Pet Epicurean

the almost perfect copy of a japanese bobtail is called Rabbit. his tail is very short, a mere stump really and would be the envy of any japanese bobtail show cat. he even has the unusual gait associated with the shot tailed breeds like the manx, the japanese bobtail and american bobtail.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:39 PM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road

They are so beautiful .....
I wish I have that much of knowledge to identify and appreciate their differences!

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com
Old 10-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Banned

alicia

i do agree that each of the rescued cat at your place is an absolute gem by herself or himself (sorry can't bring myself to think of a cat as "it").

but i also think that their beautiful condition - aside from their marvelous genes, also bespoke the loads of genuine tender loving care you lavish on them even though they're all rescues and may be not your pet - all of them are so confident, their physical health and emotional well-being are evident and captured in these pics.

congratulations - your family truly embodies loving kindness and compassion at its best!

( p/s: don't worry about me white-washing you...i don't know how to..i've been known to speak my mind without giving quarters...i just say it as it is..)