Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 07-22-2011, 12:01 PM
PetFinder Buddy

nadyazgal is on a distinguished road
Default minta pandangan untuk bela lg seekor kucing.

hi..

i have one adult cat named CIBOL and she's already 1 year and 7 months old now. She has always been alone since the day i adopted her i mean she's the only cat in my household, as i only adopted her alone.

when she was 8 months old i noticed that she started to moan, and i knew she was on heat and ready to mate but i dont want to breed her as i don't want to 'damage' her cuteness with shaggy breasts and all so i took the measure to neuter her two weeks later. i also took the advice to neuter her from my reading at petfinder and from the vet clinic. the doctor said that she will lose weight if i dont neuter her before she reached 1 year old. so i took the advise and wallaa! she gained more weight after the procedure but she's becoming more sombong like dat and don't like being cuddle and all. not that she likes cuddles before that. i guess she's just the 'sombong-but-i-love-u-when-i'm-hungry-and-lonely' kind of type.

so, my mom always nag me for adopting her alone and that she pity cibol for always showing her 'bored' face in front of my mom and told me that i should adopt two cats together and not only one but at the time i adopted cibol was when i was still in final year in university so i had to save my budget but trust me, eventhough i was still a student, she received the best care from me and i never forgot her needs such as medication, vaccines, deworms, toys, food, vitamins and all. i had to sacrifice few things for her well-being but i don't mind, as long as she is in her pinkest of health. i love her that much. so when i finished my study in here in kl, i went back to sabah and i brought her along and she can adapt very well with her new surroundings. at my home in sabah, she got to know that she's not the only cat in the world coz she finally met other cat and always interacting with them behind a mirror-sliding door. she is very protective with her territory and will try to get out from the house if there is any cat entering my house gate as if she wants to warn them that this house is my territory, DO NOT ENTER. and one time, she escaped from the house and chase a stray cat that unfortunately got into our compound when she was on guard in-front of the sliding door. i was so cemas at that time and tried to call out her name and finally she showed up and went back into the house. BUT, one time, she escaped and went to my neighbour house and she met with other stray cat there, but she did not chase the cat instead she just gave him a light slap on his cheek and no fight at all. i was watching her when this happened, that's why i know.

now, i went back to the peninsular for a job and after i have settled down here i brought her back here again..so, as u can see here, she is a QUEEN and reserved kind of type. she is kind of garang like dat and not the clingy type. For some time, i've thought of adopting another kitten into my house so she can have friend to play with but i don't know if this is a good idea as i'm afraid she will kill the other cat instead of making friends. i would love it if anyone of u can give me some advice regarding this matter. should i or shouldn't i? please help please. thank you :)

sorry mcm panjang ja cerita ni..

this is her..

Last edited by nadyazgal; 07-22-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: minta pandangan untuk bela lg seekor kucing.

Hi, nadyazgal --

First of all, Cibol is ADORABLE!

I'm glad she's with you now, and I'll bet she's happy about it, too.

My situation was similar to yours: I had a spayed queen who was my spoilt only cat for 3 years. Maneki was (still is, actually!) very territorial and possessive about me and our apartment. Still, I wondered if she might like some kitty company. I adopted another adult spayed queen, Crumpet.

I had a lot of good advice and support from Petfinder friends, and they told me to keep the 2 cats apart until Maneki finally decided to accept another cat in her space. It took me 10 days of keeping Crumpet in my office, just letting them sniff at each other under the door. Then I put Crumpet into a cage and let Maneki walk around it (and hiss and growl), and finally, after 2 weeks, I let them loose in the same room together while I was there watching. The slow approach worked! They get on very well now, and I often find them curled up napping together. I think they both benefit from each other's company, and I just love watching them together.

There is a lot of good information about introducing a new cat to your home in this thread, especially some of Blackie007's posts.

http://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=4317

Best of luck to you and Cibol as you make your decision!
Old 07-22-2011, 04:37 PM
PetFinder Buddy

wow.. i have checked out blackie's post about introducing new kitten part and i think that really make sense. i have actually been doing some reading about this but i'm just afraid i can't carry it out. i think i'm just scared if everything turns out to be the opposite of what i am expecting. *sigh*
Old 07-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadyazgal View Post
i think i'm just scared if everything turns out to be the opposite of what i am expecting. *sigh*
I really understand your concerns. I was also terribly worried -- I remember thinking, what if this turns out badly? Then I'll be stuck with 2 cat who hate each other and fight all the time! ACK!

One suggestion: Adopt a cat or kitten from someone who understands your situation and will take the cat back if things go very badly. Many rescuers care deeply about the welfare of the cats they place. They'll be happy to support you as you try to introduce the two cats, and they'll certainly want the new cat back if it doesn't work out. This probably won't be the case with shelters (PAWS, SPCA), but there are several independent rescuers here on PF who would work with you to ensure that everyone is happy in the end. Let me know if you're interested, and I can give you some suggestions of people to contact. :-)
Old 07-22-2011, 05:24 PM
PetFinder Buddy

I am very hard-hearted and still contemplating which is the best answer. which would be best, a kitten or an adult? I have a feeling that she'll be a little calmer if I introduce her to a kitty instead of an adult cat.. what's ur opinion?
Old 07-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
I am very hard-hearted and still contemplating which is the best answer. which would be best, a kitten or an adult? I have a feeling that she'll be a little calmer if I introduce her to a kitty instead of an adult cat.. what's ur opinion?
In truth, I don't know the answer, but I think you might be right. A kitten may be less threatening to her. Where do you live, by the way? Maybe I can suggest a rescuer near your home, and they can offer you better advice, as they have more experience dealing with multiple cats. :-)
Old 07-23-2011, 01:28 AM
PetFinder Buddy

First of all, why is it that u're the only one replying to my thread? haha this is quite funny lol. :) ok anyways, i live in condo somewhere in jln ipoh,kl.. it's near to kepong here. u have any rescuer u knew around here?

I have actually been offered by a rescuer that i met when i brought cibol to neuter, an adult cat that is according to her, is very reserved type. During that time i have already thinking about getting a new cat but cannot make a decision on the spot as she was so eager to give me her cat. she is someone from petfinder too and quite a lot of people wants her cat. i knew i made a mistake of not contacting her back to refuse the offer although she was calling me on my phone so many times. i dont know how to say what i really felt at that time so i did not answer her call even one time. if she is reading, u know who u are and i am so sorry. adding to that, i was already half-way in preparing my and cibol's trip back to sabah and i just cant afford bringing another cat. :(

it's not that i did not appreciate her trust of wanting me to take care of her cat, i really really appreciate that, i really do and i thank u so much for that. the cat is very adorable by the way, she's a pure white DMH.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:28 AM
PetFinder Buddy

marayah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
First of all, why is it that u're the only one replying to my thread? haha this is quite funny lol. :) ok anyways, i live in condo somewhere in jln ipoh,kl.. it's near to kepong here. u have any rescuer u knew around here?

I have actually been offered by a rescuer that i met when i brought cibol to neuter, an adult cat that is according to her, is very reserved type. During that time i have already thinking about getting a new cat but cannot make a decision on the spot as she was so eager to give me her cat. she is someone from petfinder too and quite a lot of people wants her cat. i knew i made a mistake of not contacting her back to refuse the offer although she was calling me on my phone so many times. i dont know how to say what i really felt at that time so i did not answer her call even one time. if she is reading, u know who u are and i am so sorry. adding to that, i was already half-way in preparing my and cibol's trip back to sabah and i just cant afford bringing another cat. :(

it's not that i did not appreciate her trust of wanting me to take care of her cat, i really really appreciate that, i really do and i thank u so much for that. the cat is very adorable by the way, she's a pure white DMH.
dont be sorry
Old 07-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
First of all, why is it that u're the only one replying to my thread? haha this is quite funny lol. :)
There! Marayah just checked in, too. :-)

I can suggest a few people to talk to about adopting a cat or kitten. Let me say this first: I have dealt with these folks, and I know they care passionately for the welfare of their rescued cats. They would be happy to work with you to find a good match for you and Cibol and would want to take the cat back if things didn't work out. There are certainly other sincere and caring rescuers on PF. I mention these people below because I've met them personally. If there is another PF member who feels that he or she wants to re-home a kitten with you, he or she should speak up now!

Alicia, Olivia and Amy at Pet Epicure, 16 Jalan Bandar 2, Taman Melawati, 53100 KL

OUR OPENING HOURS ARE
CLOSED on Mondays and Public Holidays
9.30am - 5.30pm Tuesday to Friday
9.30am - 4pm Weekends

petepicure@gmail.com 0129059010 - Olivia 0123313318 - Alicia

Jimmy and Angela at Home Pet Food & Care, Home Pet Food & Care (Behind Point Extreme), 41, Jalan 1/49J, Bandar Baru Seri Petaling,
57000 KL
019 - 2424636

Petfinder member Vee20, AKA Nitha; she has several listings in the Cats for Adoption section. Nitha stays in Puchong Jaya.

All 3 of them have many rescued cats & kittens to choose from, and cats would be spayed/neutered/vaccinated, etc.

Best of luck to you and Cibol, whatever you decide!
Old 07-24-2011, 11:05 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Maneki Neko, thanks for the words of advice and the list of people to refer to.. however, i still can't make the decision now as i am forever contemplating. :(

eventhough i have found a few gorgeous kittens, i still cant make my mind. i'm afraid i will reegret my decision later as i have so many concerns. furthermore i am now staying at my family house but my sister doesnt really allow me having a cat although she's made an exception of cibol because i've had her since before i moved into the house and there is none of my siblings who can take care of her better than me. and i dont want to take any advantage on that because she's very strict.. :( they don't really get WHY i have to have a cat since they don't have any. we actually have had a cat before but she's long gone missing and not adopting any ever since.

maybe the best time to find a friend for cibol is when i have my own place and only have to abide by my own house rules.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
maybe the best time to find a friend for cibol is when i have my own place and only have to abide by my own house rules.
Yup, I agree!
Old 07-25-2011, 12:50 PM
PetFinder Guru

thini is on a distinguished road

Quote:
hi..

i have one adult cat named CIBOL and she's already 1 year and 7 months old now. She has always been alone since the day i adopted her i mean she's the only cat in my household, as i only adopted her alone.

when she was 8 months old i noticed that she started to moan, and i knew she was on heat and ready to mate but i dont want to breed her as i don't want to 'damage' her cuteness with shaggy breasts and all so i took the measure to neuter her two weeks later. i also took the advice to neuter her from my reading at petfinder and from the vet clinic. the doctor said that she will lose weight if i dont neuter her before she reached 1 year old. so i took the advise and wallaa! she gained more weight after the procedure but she's becoming more sombong like dat and don't like being cuddle and all. not that she likes cuddles before that. i guess she's just the 'sombong-but-i-love-u-when-i'm-hungry-and-lonely' kind of type.

so, my mom always nag me for adopting her alone and that she pity cibol for always showing her 'bored' face in front of my mom and told me that i should adopt two cats together and not only one but at the time i adopted cibol was when i was still in final year in university so i had to save my budget but trust me, eventhough i was still a student, she received the best care from me and i never forgot her needs such as medication, vaccines, deworms, toys, food, vitamins and all. i had to sacrifice few things for her well-being but i don't mind, as long as she is in her pinkest of health. i love her that much. so when i finished my study in here in kl, i went back to sabah and i brought her along and she can adapt very well with her new surroundings. at my home in sabah, she got to know that she's not the only cat in the world coz she finally met other cat and always interacting with them behind a mirror-sliding door. she is very protective with her territory and will try to get out from the house if there is any cat entering my house gate as if she wants to warn them that this house is my territory, DO NOT ENTER. and one time, she escaped from the house and chase a stray cat that unfortunately got into our compound when she was on guard in-front of the sliding door. i was so cemas at that time and tried to call out her name and finally she showed up and went back into the house. BUT, one time, she escaped and went to my neighbour house and she met with other stray cat there, but she did not chase the cat instead she just gave him a light slap on his cheek and no fight at all. i was watching her when this happened, that's why i know.

now, i went back to the peninsular for a job and after i have settled down here i brought her back here again..so, as u can see here, she is a QUEEN and reserved kind of type. she is kind of garang like dat and not the clingy type. For some time, i've thought of adopting another kitten into my house so she can have friend to play with but i don't know if this is a good idea as i'm afraid she will kill the other cat instead of making friends. i would love it if anyone of u can give me some advice regarding this matter. should i or shouldn't i? please help please. thank you :)

sorry mcm panjang ja cerita ni..

this is her..
I think Cibol is gorgeous.. I actually now have 5 cats.. started off with three, a mommy cat, Serai and her two kittens. Since they have conquered the house for almost a year, so when Gumpy was given to me, Serai was very angry/ jealous. It took almost 2 weeks for Serai not to hiss and growl at Gumpy. I guess she got tired after two weeks. Now they can sit in front of each other without being hostile, but there were times where Serai would cakar Gumpy - I called it 'cakar2 manja'.. Next came along Juju, same problem also.. but now they got along okay. Last Friday, i was given two kittens (no names yet).. and now Juju pulak yang kept on hissing and growling bila nampak dia orang. Serai and co. practically ignore the two kittens. Of course the trick is to keep new cats/ kittens separated from the existing ones that you have.. In my case now, I don't know how long dengan kedatangan 2 ekor ni..
Old 07-27-2011, 12:46 PM
PetFinder Guru

Nana is on a distinguished road

Hi nadyazgal! You're the one that took your cat back to Sabah yeah?

I've been missing from this forum for like year now and so here I am :)

Just to share, as you already know, I brought my 9 cats back to Sabah with me (2 died :( *sigh*) so its 7 now...) and here in my family house we already have 2 cats. It's been over a year now, and my 7 still don't get along with the 2. And I think from their personality, it's not likely that they will get along with each other. They don't really 'kill' each other, but they do scratch and argue, which leave scratch marks, cuts and fur everywhere. Within my 7, there are also a couple who don't play well with each other, but they can live together :).

We introduced them slowly, one by one, from there we could see which ones responded with a NO-NO to the new friend. We also discovered who can 'live' with who, but eventually it was obvious that they were happier with 7 to 2. I was surprised that my small sized 8 mths were more provoking and intimidating towards the 2 (1 year++ cats).

Your case might be different since you have 1 and will be introducing 1. There is no sure way to tell whether they will get along or not until you actually try. Perhaps it'll be easier but still be prepared to accommodate in case they don't get along :) and in my opinion that should be the determinant of whether you decide to take in another one or not. That is to have a good back up plan :). best wishes dear.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:50 AM
PetFinder Buddy

marayah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maneki Neko, thanks for the words of advice and the list of people to refer to.. however, i still can't make the decision now as i am forever contemplating. :(

eventhough i have found a few gorgeous kittens, i still cant make my mind. i'm afraid i will reegret my decision later as i have so many concerns. furthermore i am now staying at my family house but my sister doesnt really allow me having a cat although she's made an exception of cibol because i've had her since before i moved into the house and there is none of my siblings who can take care of her better than me. and i dont want to take any advantage on that because she's very strict.. :( they don't really get WHY i have to have a cat since they don't have any. we actually have had a cat before but she's long gone missing and not adopting any ever since.