Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 11-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Animal Lover

amandasin is on a distinguished road
Default I have a pregnant furkid.

My doggie Dash is pregnant with >3 puppies on the waY! . My doc said she's about a month preggers.

I'm just wondering, is there any new diet Dash should go on? My vet said just feed her on demand but my dog wants to eat all the time,pregnant or not so I'm not sure about that.
So how?

And is a whelping box needed? I don't know how to build one. And i've read that the mother dog should be kept in a room or a place where there won't be anyone disturbing and distracting here. The thing is, Dash is an outdoor dog and my parents won't let her in the house. Anyone kind to help out on what to do?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:22 AM
PetFinder Buddy

JScott is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I have a pregnant furkid.

I hope I'm not too late to reply but this website should help you out.

http://www.petbitsforyou.com/
Old 11-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Animal Lover

Thanks. Not too late. I have one more month to prepare (:

I've read that site. The feeding part is no problem now. But I really need to know about the last part of my initial post
Old 11-12-2008, 12:29 AM
PetFinder Wowwow

vivi is on a distinguished road

HI amandasin, u don't really need to put ur doggie in a special room. ( what breed is u doggie)
Here is my experience ( i helped my doggie Nana go thru her delivery twice.)
1)2 days b4 her delivery date, I have seperated Nana from the other dog sight even if she got her own cage. She's an outdoor dog too. And she eats a lot. Twice the amount of her normal diet. Don't worry. It's not big problem at all. But please place ur dog in a shaddy and dry place and a place that not many people pass through (Try the back of ur house or anywhere u feel comfortable for the dog). Because usually a mother dog are quite defensive after they give birth ( depends to each dog. My nana even let me touch her baby because i helped her go through it .I'm the 1st one saw the baby out. She gave birth to 7 puppies. 3 male 4 females.) U will see the sign b4 she gave birth. Don't worry u will know when it comes. Her behaviour will be different because it hurts. u will notice that she will keep nosing to her back part).
2)I was outstation for few days so i didn't notice her delivery sign, and when i came back she's giving birth to the 7th puppy already in her cage. I'm a bit late to set up a new place for her. So i waited for her to finish her business and then carry her to the new place. Will be a bit weak after she gave birth. After i put her in, the 10th puppy came out but too bad it's not breathing. Try many thing but still fail.
My mum told me that after a dog gave birth don't give them a wash for almost a month. Just like human. So i have to take a wet cloth and clean her without wetting her through. (Depends to each individual). After a dog gave birth, their appetite are still big because they have to milk their puppies.. The mama dog with clean the puppies poop and shee shee. so no big worries here. But u need to make sure the place the new puppies stay are clean and dry. U can put old cloth for the puppies if u wan. U r expecting 3 puppies, so i guess u pups have more than enough milks to drinks. No need to help them regulate like mine. Every 2 to 3 hours. Whoo~~. Remember to always change ur doggies water.
Hope this info can help u. Good Luck.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:51 AM
PetFinder Buddy

The whelping box or the outdoor part?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Animal Lover

vivi, did your dog use a whelping box?

jscott, im okay with the outdoor part now. Just need know know whether the whelping box is a MUST or not.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:56 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Ah, I see well the box is not really important as sometimes the dog does not go to the whelping box but to an area of her choice but no harm preparing one. If she doesn't go to the whelping box, just watch where she goes to have the puppies and fill the area with warm bedding ie towels, old rags, clean water and try to make a short wall barricade so the newborn pups won't wriggle out of the area until they open their eyes.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:42 PM
PetFinder Wowwow

Well my dog didn't need it but i suggest u let ur dog have one. One of the reason it's to prevent the puppies to roam away blindly. U don't need to build one urself. U can use ur big old basket or even can buy one mini swimming pool for kid that cost not more than RM10 in Giant Hypermarket to ganti the whelping box. Just put some old clothes in there to make ur dog comfortable. If u don't want to buy, u can do like Jscott say. But remember when ur dog give birth, it'll be quite a mess for u to clean up. Will be a bit smelly if u didn't clean it up. Blood discharge smell. If ur dog didn't give birth in the whelping box, u can place the puppy in there after ur dog clean the puppy (That is if ur dog let u).The mother dog will follow the puppies wherever u place it. Becareful as i say, a mother are quite defensive after they gave birth. Good Luck.

Oh and when ur dog give birth..only help when she needs it. If not don't. (Try to stay by her side i u think it's necessery)

Last edited by vivi; 11-13-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Animal Lover

Thanks so much, both of you. Gosh, I can't wait for them. Another month to go. The vet said my Dash would probably give birth sometime in December, sometime during her birthday! :D
Old 11-13-2008, 10:41 PM
PetFinder Wowwow

Good Luck.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Animal Lover

Aiyo. My Dash isn't eating much now. The last few days she doesn't eat more than 3 cups so I increase her meals to 3-4 times a day depending on how much she eats per meal. Most of the time I have to hand feed her. She eats out of my hand only and not the bowl.
Then this morning when my maid fed her with 3 cups she hardly touch her food. So we left her bowl out. I just checked on her bowl and she ate abit. So i hand fed her again. So mafan. What to do? Is this normal? Two of her nipples start having milk everytime I press them. I'm just afraid that she's starting to get more and more manja and dependent on me since I've been spending alot more time with her. I'm still having SPM, 4 more days of not being at home to hand feed her during two meals.
Since about three days back she started panting loudly. But after last night now anymore. Two days ago, I saw that there was soil on her nose. Now she's not panting loudly anymore. Is it normal that she's like that? Just two weeks ago when I brought her to the vet for an ultrasound the vet said it could only be a month old since we couldn't see the backbone yet.

What to do??
Old 11-19-2008, 11:38 PM
PetFinder Wowwow

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandasin View Post
Aiyo. My Dash isn't eating much now. The last few days she doesn't eat more than 3 cups so I increase her meals to 3-4 times a day depending on how much she eats per meal. Most of the time I have to hand feed her. She eats out of my hand only and not the bowl.
Then this morning when my maid fed her with 3 cups she hardly touch her food. So we left her bowl out. I just checked on her bowl and she ate abit. So i hand fed her again. So mafan. What to do? Is this normal? Two of her nipples start having milk everytime I press them. I'm just afraid that she's starting to get more and more manja and dependent on me since I've been spending alot more time with her. I'm still having SPM, 4 more days of not being at home to hand feed her during two meals.
Since about three days back she started panting loudly. But after last night now anymore. Two days ago, I saw that there was soil on her nose. Now she's not panting loudly anymore. Is it normal that she's like that? Just two weeks ago when I brought her to the vet for an ultrasound the vet said it could only be a month old since we couldn't see the backbone yet.

What to do??
Hmm...if u say her appetite change that depends on individual dog, but need to make sure ur dash drinking water is full and change daily. But the soil on her nose, i never had this problem. Did u mention this problem to the vet? Or maybe she's not comfortable with her situation so that's y she act like that.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:42 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Perhaps there is a chance she's feeling discomfort which is causing her some minor aches and pain. Keep a journal of what you notice of changes in her behaviour, eating habits etc. So that in case you are not around and the vet is called in, your parents can hand the journal to the vet so that he/she knows what to do.

Also it would be good if you could get the vet to stop by for a house call to check on the dog as transporting the dog there and back may cause some distress to Dash.

If you notice that she is not drinking and eating as much as she should within the past 24 hours, do contact your vet
Old 11-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Animal Lover

I made an omelette using two eggs and a cup of kibbles late last night and she ate fine. My maid told me she's been eating normally today. She's back to how she used to be, thank goodness. I was starting to worry. She's sleeping alot and hardly walk now. That's normal right? Cause its so so unusual to see Dash not moving at all. She usually runs and goes around everywhere.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:28 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Usually they should be active. Maybe she's not getting enough protein, fibre and calcium as she needs to feed herself and the puppies in her womb. Any other noticeable traits?
Old 11-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Animal Lover

My maid says most of the time after she eats, she vomits. She's having ticks now! Those tiny tiny round round fat fat blue black colour kind eveytime you kill it there's alot of blood eventhough its so tiny. Not the flat brown kind. Is it safe to bathe her with tick shampoo or the medicine?
Old 11-22-2008, 02:37 PM
PetFinder Wowwow

Quote:
My maid says most of the time after she eats, she vomits. She's having ticks now! Those tiny tiny round round fat fat blue black colour kind eveytime you kill it there's alot of blood eventhough its so tiny. Not the flat brown kind. Is it safe to bathe her with tick shampoo or the medicine?
amadasin, u can let her wear a tick collar if u scare to bath her with a medicine shampoo. but i don't think it's a big problem for her to bath with a tick shampoo. Just make sure she didn't swallow it. Be a bit careful then everythings all right.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Animal Lover

Thanks vi. What a bad timing for tick season. I'm just worried that the ticks will still be around when the puppies arrive. Now Dash's bottom nipple area there all got red red spots. I think the ticks are here again because of the monsoon season. I get alot of them when its raining alot.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:00 PM
PetFinder Wowwow

Quote:
Thanks vi. What a bad timing for tick season. I'm just worried that the ticks will still be around when the puppies arrive. Now Dash's bottom nipple area there all got red red spots. I think the ticks are here again because of the monsoon season. I get alot of them when its raining alot.
jscott any idea?
amandasin,
Wow it is a headache problem. Where do u let her sleep? She's an outdoor dog rite?
Old 11-23-2008, 06:50 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Well, if you have a large grassy area its best to have it cut and to spray frontline on the lawn and any other grassy areas that are near your fencing for now.

Secondly as vivi said, a tick collar, kiltix is only about rm25 and lasts 3 months. this should also help keep ticks away. The red spots are from the tick bites. So perhaps you could get her some soothing lotion like calamine from the vets.