Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Reviews, Notices & Stories > Hall of Shame

Hall of Shame There are lots of cruel and inconsiderate people out there. Expose their cruel deeds to the world and let them be shamed!

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:13 AM
PetFinder Guru

melmel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pulau Ketam & MPK Klang Dump Dogs in Uninhabited Island

Star 15 May Fri
Ketam dogs
BY SUJESH PAVITHRAN

There must be better ways to solve the issue of stray dogs than dumping them on an island.

TOURIST venues need all the publicity they can get, one would imagine. However, residents of Pulau Ketam must be somewhat peeved at the excessive attention they’ve been getting in recent months – first, it was the dolls, and then, it was the dogs.

China dolls, though, didn’t quite match up to the furore raised worldwide when it was found that islanders were dumping stray dogs by the hundreds in mangrove swamps located on two neighbouring islands.

The islanders, despairing of the stray dog population in their vicinity, reckoned the mutts would find a way to survive on a swampy island, sans food or fresh water.

Some dogs died, others fed on their carcasses and lived; accounts by rescuers also told of mutts gazing forlornly in the direction of Pulau Ketam.

It all made for a very tragic situation, and the question that begs to be asked is this – how did we end up with such an uncontrolled population of stray dogs?

Some people are initially thrilled at the idea of having pets but, once the novelty has worn off, abandon them in places far away from home. Now, do this to a cat, and he’ll find his way home with single-minded precision, over a few weeks or months, and turn up on your doorstep with a dead mouse.

Dogs get distracted easily and are too trusting of humans, so they wander around, waiting for their rightful owners to return and pick them up.

Some find better homes – I’ve had more than a couple of friends who have taken in friendly strays that obviously used to belong to someone, and were either lost or abandoned. Other unfortunate ones stay strays; and strays beget strays, and over the years, this has just grown and grown.

Dogs get a bad rep here, I’m inclined to believe. Complain to the local council about stray mutts and the dog-catchers descend on your neighbourhood, round up every pooch they spy and send them to the pound for that inevitable cruel end.

Tell them about the dozens of cats rummaging through your garbage and leaving it all over the road, messing up your compound and such, and I doubt anything would happen. Then again, cats are just too sly and small to be caught. Let’s leave it at that, I’m in enough trouble with the cat people already!

Shouldn’t we come up with a more humane solution to the issue of stray dogs? Animal shelters already have their hands full with this.

As for Pulau Ketam, it seems to have drawn enough global attention to keep it on the map, although some blogs have been urging tourists to boycott Malaysia because of the stray dog issue. Oh, come on, if all countries with humanitarian problems were to be boycotted by tourists, then nobody would go anywhere!

Maybe with a bigger influx of tourists to the island, we can impose a “dog tax” on them and use the money for the welfare and maintenance of our furry friends. Along the way, also make efforts to better develop Pulau Ketam.

Then again, this might just lure the dolls back ....

Last edited by melmel; 05-15-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:28 AM
PetFinder Guru

mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
can i join for the TNR program as well?
but i'm wondering, what would volunteers be doing during the program? i mean, we won't be castrating and spaying anyone obviously if we aren't vets.. so do we coordinate stuff? give educational talks? help round up the poor darling stray dogs and cats?

Of course you may Lyn, you are most welcome to join our team. It would be great to have you to come along. We need people to trap the dogs, we'll tell you how, later.

...THE DAY I KNOW THE MEANING OF TRUE LOVE, LOYALTY, TRUST AND FRIENDSHIP...
...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 05-15-2009, 10:31 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
umm....
hmpf!! do you mean me? you do don't you... aiyaaaaa when did i become bait? i nominate sharul. trust me she would be much much much more appealing!!!
she has assets i don't.. ahem*

once she has caught the village head i'll castrate him with blunt, rusty scissors.
WEI!!!!

Mana ada? I dah tua la... you are still very young compare to me... i almost expired already....

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 05-15-2009, 10:46 AM
PetFinder Guru

mrsdolittle,
u shd ask furkids 2 join u too. he always emphasizes on d important of TNR bla bla
Old 05-15-2009, 11:13 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmel View Post
Petster Magazine will be organizing a joint rescue mission with SPCA and other parties to Pulau Ketam, and we'd like to invite our members to participate in the efforts as well.

Below are the details:

Date: May 17th, 2009 (Sunday)

Time: 7am sharp

Location: Petster Magazine's Office (No. 6-1-M, Jalan 14/155B, Aked Esplanad, Taman Bukit Jalil)

Contact Person: William Tan (012-3333626), managing editor of Petster Magazine

Transport: You will need to find your own transport or car pool to Klang, before taking boat over. All transportation costs are to be provided by yourself.

Items: Each person must bring along at least 1 packet of dog food of any size. Please also bring along your own food, drinks and equipment.

Each participant will receive a "The Pulau Ketam Incident Rescue Mission" sponsored by Petster Magazine.

Dear all,

We are sorry to announce that this trip has to be canceled due to security purposes. As mentioned in the earlier thread, we found and feel that the island is no place for large number of people to gather and the island condition is really discouraging.

May be we can all be together in the TNR program in Ketam Island itself. This would be better for all.

We'll keep you updated. Thanks.

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 05-15-2009, 11:27 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

Ms.Dolittle,
from the massage Petster Magazine organizing, i was read from start to end.
I dont see what Petster Magazine do any sponsor to organizing? what is differ someone do own organizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdolittle View Post
Dear all,

We are sorry to announce that this trip has to be canceled due to security purposes. As mentioned in the earlier thread, we found and feel that the island is no place for large number of people to gather and the island condition is really discouraging.

May be we can all be together in the TNR program in Ketam Island itself. This would be better for all.

We'll keep you updated. Thanks.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:47 AM
PetFinder Guru

MPK , WHERE R UR PROMOSED HELP !

28 Death Island dogs rescued
Local Pulau Ketam stray dogs
No let-up on saving dogs abandoned on islands off Pulau Ketam
Nevash Nair

SAVE D: SPCA workers rescuing a dog at the Selat Kering island yesterday
AS of yesterday, a total of 28 stray dogs have been rescued by several non-governmental organisations (NGOs) from islands surrounding Pulau Ketam.
The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) and Furry Friends Farm (FFF) rescued 13 and 15 dogs respectively, and the rescue mission continues today.

SPCA public relations officer Jacinta Johnson said the rescue mission is on course and it was a good start for all NGOs to work together.

“We have sent all the canines caught to our resident veterinary clinic near our office. The dogs will be checked and medicated accordingly.

“We have also found foster homes for two dogs and an adopter for one. But we will only give the dogs away after they are treated. We are also looking for more people to take these dogs in,” she added.

When asked about the feeding programme for the dogs, Johnson said: “The programme is going well. We are feeding the dogs on a regular basis and the days we do not go to the island, we pay the fishermen to feed the dogs.

“We are also happy that we are getting a chance to work together with other bodies on this matter, as we all are championing the same cause.”

FFF legal adviser Shalinee Fernandez echoed Johnson’s comments but was not pleased with the lack of commitment shown by the Klang Municipal Council.

“On Monday, it was decided that FFF and the council would work together to trap the dogs on the island, but all calls to the council were unsuccessful. They have not contacted us since the meeting and we were unable to get in touch with them either. This is absurd,” Fernandez said.

“We want the council to provide us with boats and dog catchers to make the rescue mission easier and more cost-efficient. But they are not being helpful at all.

“We will continue championing our cause with or without the help from the council.”

Last week, it was reported that stray dogs were left to fend for themselves on the uninhabited islands of Pulau Selat Kering and Pulau Tengah. The dogs have resorted to eating each other to survive.

On Monday, a joint meeting chaired by the Klang council brought together animal activists, members of the public and NGOs to plan an immediate solution for the dogs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 45.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	5301  

Last edited by melmel; 05-15-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Animal Lover

Snowflake is on a distinguished road

Stupid, useless, MPK council people who sent the dogs there. Wasted tax payers money then do nothing. On top of that, let the tax payers clean up their dirty work.

I would rather spend my tax that I paid to ferry these MPK people to the hell island and live with the dogs for a few days. See how they like it.

Idiots. SHAME ON YOU, MPK !

Last edited by Snowflake; 05-15-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:15 PM
PetFinder Guru

speechless
Old 05-15-2009, 12:45 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmel View Post
mrsdolittle,
u shd ask furkids 2 join u too. he always emphasizes on d important of TNR bla bla
Furkids sayanggggggggg.........

Jom, pi TNR....

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 05-15-2009, 12:47 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
Ms.Dolittle,
from the massage Petster Magazine organizing, i was read from start to end.
I dont see what Petster Magazine do any sponsor to organizing? what is differ someone do own organizing.
Then it's at their own risk... its not a fun place to be... are they still going DIMB?

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 05-15-2009, 12:53 PM
PetFinder Moderator

http://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=2237 is ZERO person interest.
Quote:
Then it's at their own risk... its not a fun place to be... are they still going DIMB?

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:24 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Whewww, thank goodness.. Thanks Clement

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 05-15-2009, 01:26 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
Stupid, useless, MPK council people. Wasted tax payers money then do nothing. On top of that, let the tax payers clean up their dirty work.

I would rather spend my tax that I paid to ferry these MPK people to the hell island and live with the dogs for a few days. See how they like it.

Idiots. It's 'bye bye' in the next election. SHAME ON YOU, MPK !

Very expressive... they will be going with us soon. We'll update you on this ya... chill sis.

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 05-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Animal Lover

Snowflake is on a distinguished road

Quote:
they will be going with us soon. We'll update you on this ya... chill sis.
psst .. can 'accidentally' leave them there ?
Old 05-15-2009, 02:47 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
psst .. can 'accidentally' leave them there ?
Why not... but must neuter first ya

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 05-15-2009, 03:00 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Tak Pi tak apa, jika satu orang buat donate satu bag dog food. semua pulau ketam anjing dapat makan. Kan bugus!

Quote:
Whewww, thank goodness.. Thanks Clement

Old 05-15-2009, 04:32 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Tak Pi tak apa, jika satu orang buat donate satu bag dog food. semua pulau ketam anjing dapat makan. Kan bugus!
Bagus idea you tu... FYI the people on Pulau Ketam are animal friendly but not wise enough in problem solving. The food are enough for the stray dogs and cats there but its all rubbish...

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 05-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

ok...both you and mrs dolittle can be bait...how about that? yeah, i've seen her assets in her photos....kekekekeke.

it'll be the perfect bait, i think, if both of you dress up as bunny playgirls. just pass me the blunt, rusty scissors and i'll do the castrating once both of you have rounded up the village head, his family and everyone who is involved in dumping the dogs.

hmmmm......can even save them and cook them.....do you think the strays would like a meal of human balls stew?

Quote:
umm....
hmpf!! do you mean me? you do don't you... aiyaaaaa when did i become bait? i nominate sharul. trust me she would be much much much more appealing!!!
she has assets i don't.. ahem*

once she has caught the village head i'll castrate him with blunt, rusty scissors.

Yeah. they didn't think it through first before acting. but i think they might have learned from this lesson. i'm willing to give them a chance to see if they will change their attitude and behaviour.

Quote:
Bagus idea you tu... FYI the people on Pulau Ketam are animal friendly but not wise enough in problem solving. The food are enough for the stray dogs and cats there but its all rubbish...
Old 05-15-2009, 05:52 PM
i'm da devil.....

jenn is on a distinguished road

it'll be the perfect bait, i think, if both of you dress up as bunny playgirls. just pass me the blunt, rusty scissors and i'll do the castrating once both of you have rounded up the village head, his family and everyone who is involved in dumping the dogs.

hmmmm......can even save them and cook them.....do you think the strays would like a meal of human balls stew?

uhh... ganas..
Closed Thread