Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Animal Organizations & Societies > SPCA

SPCA All discussions and information related to the non-profit SPCA organization. SPCA is the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Animal Lover

smfan is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Disappointed

I came across a lady who tell me of her bad encounter with the vets of SPCA last Sunday. Well she was utterly surprised by the response of the vet when she seek their help. The lady called SPCA to assist her to catch a distressed stray female dog who has just delivered and was thinking that SPCA would help to relief her distress and she would take her back (Maybe boarding at SPCA for only one night as it was a Sunday) The SPCA staff did not offer any suggestion to help but they seem to be irritated by public compassion. She was shocked that they will only help with a condition that the caller does not interfere with what SPCA will do to the female dog when they bring her back. The lady specified that she will take the female dog back if the vet could help this distressed dog to be taken to SPCA first. It so obvious that SPCA have the thought of putting her to sleep.
I hope you will not be offended with what I am going to write and I believe a lot of people will be on my side. The expertise of the vets there are questionable. Its seem that they are only good in putting a dog to sleep,spaying and giving booster jabs. They need to go for refresher course. They can’t give solutions to help a distress animal other than telling public that their normal practice is to put a distress animal TO SLEEP
Old 10-13-2009, 12:02 AM
~feline attaché

nurkasih is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfan View Post
I came across a lady who tell me of her bad encounter with the vets of SPCA last Sunday. Well she was utterly surprised by the response of the vet when she seek their help. The lady called SPCA to assist her to catch a distressed stray female dog who has just delivered and was thinking that SPCA would help to relief her distress and she would take her back (Maybe boarding at SPCA for only one night as it was a Sunday) The SPCA staff did not offer any suggestion to help but they seem to be irritated by public compassion. She was shocked that they will only help with a condition that the caller does not interfere with what SPCA will do to the female dog when they bring her back. The lady specified that she will take the female dog back if the vet could help this distressed dog to be taken to SPCA first. It so obvious that SPCA have the thought of putting her to sleep.
I hope you will not be offended with what I am going to write and I believe a lot of people will be on my side. The expertise of the vets there are questionable. Its seem that they are only good in putting a dog to sleep,spaying and giving booster jabs. They need to go for refresher course. They can’t give solutions to help a distress animal other than telling public that their normal practice is to put a distress animal TO SLEEP
SPCA?... I lepas tangan.... Let those of the SPCA answer you..which they will coz we do have people direct with SPCA around here... tata~
Old 10-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Hi, Smfan -- Thank you for trying to help the mother dog and her pups. I'm not disputing what you've written but just suggesting that the shelters (SPCA, PAWS, etc.) are overwhelmed with the number of homeless animals coming to them.

This is a recent post from Jacinta, at SPCA. It may give you a better picture of what they're dealing with:

http://forums.petfinder.my/showpost....&postcount=280

Quote:
Old 10-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Animal Lover

Unhappy Re: Disappointed

I agree with whatever is written by Jacinta but what ignorant public is seeking for is at least a solution and suggestion especially from SPCA if they are unable to lend a hand.Some people think highly of SPCA but upon getting such response they couldnt believe their ears! A lot still think SPCA is a NO KILL SHELTER....
Old 10-13-2009, 06:14 PM
PetFinder Guru

mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hello Smfan,

Firstly, it will be nice if the lady herself could post whatever is, she encountered with whoever is at SPCA. How true is this post, i do not know.

Why always pass the burden to SPCA? And when rejected (not attending to the needs) such a big huuuuu... haaaaa.... here and there.

Logically, the lady could be more responsible to take care of the dog and her litters herself. Rescuing takes a lot of work ya. Not only fetching and then dumping into a shelter. A true animal lovers who knew what is going on in SPCA should or could have come more often to foster and re home the animals from the shelters.

In this case, she could have foster the dog herself or find a better solution for a bitch which has just given birth to puppies. A SHELTER IS NOT A PLACE FOR PREGNANT OR "JUST GIVEN BIRTH BITCHES". A distress dog will be more distress to be in a shelter. Peace and quiet is all they need. She will be miserable and as good as we don't take her in at all.

WHY? We have more than 250 abandoned dogs in the shelter. It is not safe for a pregnant nor a nursing bitch to be in a shelter. SHE DESERVES BETTER. Think of the safety... mummy and puppies... don't you think it is risking their lives? Its as good as sending them to meet their creator... Get what I mean? Fights happen in shelters...

Yeah! We do not have special space for them. WE ARE A SHELTER.... NOT A BOARDING CENTER... That's it... In the past, most people said, THEY ARE BOARDING AND THEN NEVER TURN UP.... EVER.... Anyways, if her real intention was to board, why come to SPCA and not to A BOARDING CENTER... what was her real intention? To dump? She could just said, " OK I'LL TAKE HER ELSEWHERE FOR BOARDING" There are lots of vet / boarding center open especially on SUNDAYS... If she had asked, SPCA will definitely refer her to a lot of good vets who also board animals...

By the way, yes our vets in SPCA only neuter, vaccinate / booster and euthanize animals (not proud of it at all). We are not a clinic.... only those 3 for the shelter animals day in and day out... none stop... have you ever seen them sitting down and do nothing? What else do you expect them to do? Bake cookies? or smile and laugh when people walking in to dump?

You said, Their expertise is questionable.... are you a vet? How many have you neuter or vaccinate... THIS STATEMENT IS UNCALLED FOR... Think! They too have HELPED those animals which survived and kept in the shelter for years.... YOU DON'T KNOW THIS, RIGHT? NOW I AM TELLING YOU...

HOW OFTEN DO YOU HELP THE ANIMALS FROM THE SHELTERS? FOSTERING AND RE HOMING? SO THE EUTHANASIA CAN STOP...

I've asked once, please post your address and contact number here, in PF for us SPCA to deliver the abandoned animals straight to your door... so far no reply...

...THE DAY I KNOW THE MEANING OF TRUE LOVE, LOYALTY, TRUST AND FRIENDSHIP...
...TIGER IN MEMORY...

Last edited by mrsdolittle; 10-13-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:21 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurkasih View Post
SPCA?... I lepas tangan.... Let those of the SPCA answer you..which they will coz we do have people direct with SPCA around here... tata~
Grow up girl.... BERDOSA MENGAPI-APIKAN SESAMA MANUSIA...

Sometimes things are better having it not said... better to keep it to yourself... and "need not pour petrol on to the fire"... direct translation la...

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 10-13-2009, 06:30 PM
~feline attaché

nurkasih is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdolittle View Post
Grow up girl.... BERDOSA MENGAPI-APIKAN SESAMA MANUSIA...

Sometimes things are better having it not said... better to keep it to yourself... and "need not pour petrol on to the fire"... direct translation la...
huhu now i berdosa pulak. I dun think i answrred anything just dat i saw the post very late at nite, she"s new so i just say sumbody will answer. U quote my words. Kalau i berdosa, ok fine its with me and god . But really do thibk i dun make any difference there.

I understand u just do ur work so please dun try to be god. I am still undersand what u r doing so please dont try to turn the world upside down. For the sake of evrybody.

I am not as noble but i still have my respects towards human being. At least i stay away from mentioning anything anymore.

Regards..
Old 10-13-2009, 06:38 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurkasih View Post
huhu now i berdosa pulak. I dun think i answrred anything just dat i saw the post very late at nite, she"s new so i just say sumbody will answer. U quote my words. Kalau i berdosa, ok fine its with me and god . But really do thibk i dun make any difference there.

I understand u just do ur work so please dun try to be god. I am still undersand what u r doing so please dont try to turn the world upside down. For the sake of evrybody.

I am not as noble but i still have my respects towards human being. At least i stay away from mentioning anything anymore.

Regards..
Good for you. Stay that way

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 10-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

I'm sure everyone involved with SPCA wishes they could provide a no-kill shelter, but DO THE MATH. If Jacinta's numbers are correct, there are 700 new souls arriving there monthly. (And those numbers don't count the animals that are dumped or abandoned at other places all over the country.)

How likely does it seem that they can find homes (never mind good homes) for that many animals?

Quote:
Some people think highly of SPCA but upon getting such response they couldnt believe their ears! A lot still think SPCA is a NO KILL SHELTER....
I think that's a big part of the problem: some people think highly of SPCA because they view it as a convenient place to dump the pets they can't be bothered with anymore, and they want to feel that SPCA will happily assume the responsibility for providing a comfortable shelter until a suitable adopter happens to come in. This is simply delusional, and the staff at SPCA is merely being honest by convincing the public that pets who arrive there alive are unlikely to leave there so.

Let's just all do our best to get the word out and do whatever we can to support various programmes to spay and neuter, yes?
Old 10-13-2009, 10:23 PM
PetFinder Guru

Sashy is on a distinguished road

From what I understand of smfan's post, the lady only wanted to put the dog at SPCA for a day because it was in distress. I guess she was hoping it could receive some treatment from SPCA since it was a Sunday and the vets were closed? Perhaps we should inquire about the nature of the dogs distress before criticizing the lady who wanted to help an animal in need. Thats what we are all here for after all, to promote and improve animal welfare and awareness in our nation.

I understand SPCA is very overworked and overpopulated, but if the lady was willing to take the dog back in a day, what would be the harm in giving the dog a chance? True, some people go back on their word, but some people are genuine too. If the lady didn't pick the dog up in a day or two, then SPCA can carry out its usual procedure. All they lost is 2 days food, and what they gave is 2 days of life to a distressed animal.

Yes, 700 animals being dumped at SPCA a month is horrifying. Thats our fault though, not the animals, and they shouldn't be penalized for our failures as people. Where we can, lets extend a little bit of kindness, and a little bit of effort to make this world a better place.

Lets also appreciate peoples kindness, and try to make it matter, so they will be willing to extend more kindness in the future.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:28 PM
PetFinder Guru

Dear all,

When we decline certain request, it doesn't mean we have lost our passion. It is another way to make public realize, its time to be responsible for all being.

As mentioned earlier, a distress dog will be more distress to be caged in a shelter. Animals have feelings too. All of us, meaning the people who walked in SPCA must understand that we do not encourage abandoning, surrendering and we do not have space for boarding. We do not board dogs.

From Smfan's post, it was not mentioned that she asked for any treatment. She wanted to board the dog for a day. Only a day. SPCA does not board any dogs at all. I have to repeat myself. Does this mean we have no passion? How could it be euthanized if she has no intention to leave it there? Don't you think by declining to her request, we are actually doing it/her a favor, to go on living?

Come on people, when are we going to learn to be responsible? Where is the compassion, passion which were mentioned so many times in this thread?

It is human nature to exaggerate when things don't go their way. We respect the good deed of hers, but to board or leave a distress dog in a shelter... is totally out of the question.

Here I am trying to make people understand why we discourage all the actions which may lead to euthanasia. Are we still the cruel people whom being misjudged for not wanting to take in any "slim chance" cases?

Yup! We are the irresponsible ones (not SPCA) who caused the over populated strays in this country. So when are we going to take charge of it, other than passing the burden and letting others (SPCA) to do the dirty job?

The answer is: EACH AND EVERY INDIVIDUAL IS RESPONSIBLE TO TAKE THESE ANIMALS IN FOR FOSTERING, CARING AND RE HOMING.

If all of the people in the country adopt at least one dog and one cat from the streets or the shelters and have them neutered, MALAYSIA WILL BE A ZERO STRAY NATION IN NO TIME.

...TIGER IN MEMORY...

Last edited by mrsdolittle; 10-14-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Animal Lover

Question Re: Disappointed

Sometimes if we do not do our part in highlighting to you what is on the other side, you would not be aware of how and what public faces and feels when they are in distress themselves seeking for SPCA’shelp. SPCA as it stands Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Its obvious a lot of new naïve animals lovers will seek their assistance and advise.The picture painted on SPCA is what they think the initial stands for. Children are not aware of what is happening inside. IF only you were there to explain what would and could happen, new animal lovers will not be so disappointed and they will have to accept reality of life though it may take time to digest it.

In your course of your noble duties you are bound to face numerous negativity.I believe more will write in especially from the new breed of animals lovers. So are you going to be so defensive all the time?I know your job is a tough one but new and naïve animals lovers will always seek SPCA help please guide them,give alternatives,solutions, suggestions but do not leave them stunned.

Do you prefer not to know what the public faces? Will that make SPCA a better place for the animals if disappointments are not known?
Old 10-15-2009, 02:18 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Sometimes if we do not do our part in highlighting to you what is on the other side, you would not be aware of how and what public faces and feels when they are in distress themselves seeking for SPCA’shelp. SPCA as it stands Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Its obvious a lot of new naïve animals lovers will seek their assistance and advise.The picture painted on SPCA is what they think the initial stands for. Children are not aware of what is happening inside. IF only you were there to explain what would and could happen, new animal lovers will not be so disappointed and they will have to accept reality of life though it may take time to digest it.

In your course of your noble duties you are bound to face numerous negativity.I believe more will write in especially from the new breed of animals lovers. So are you going to be so defensive all the time?I know your job is a tough one but new and naïve animals lovers will always seek SPCA help please guide them,give alternatives,solutions, suggestions but do not leave them stunned.

Do you prefer not to know what the public faces? Will that make SPCA a better place for the animals if disappointments are not known?
Dear Smfan,

*sigh* ... i wish i was there... too. Please do not blame the staff at the shelter for what had happened... frankly, i started off being a volunteer. Without knowing them at the beginning, things were really blurry... BUT, as my mum and dad told me... do not believe in FIRST IMPRESSION. In order to know a person or in this case, to know the organization, it will take a lot of observations, learning and understanding... then we will know why things or people react / ed the way they do. Am not going to explain further... since i was one of the people who does not understand "them" before. BUT... i choose not to judge and always believe there is a cause to an action. Therefore, i choose to observe, learn and understand... resulting to my interest in joining the organization... THE ANIMALS NEED HELP... I may not make a big difference, but it helps a little... Giving them love and identify which one is suitable for which human...

Public does not like the animals to be euthanized... but have they ever thought of taking the animals out of the shelter in order to rescue them? Its easier said than done. The worst part is, there will be some people who will actually stop others from going to the SHELTER(s) because they disagree with us putting down of the animals. NOT WANTING TO COME TO THE SHELTERS MAKE US THE REAL KILLERS... WORST STILL, WE KNOW WHAT IS HAPPENING AND WE STILL LET IT HAPPEN...

We need more of these angry people to come to the shelter to rescue those poor animals. That's what they should be doing. Believe you me, we welcome all with good intention, angry or not.

Smfan, please tell the lady not to be taken aback by the incident... i believe the incident resulted to a positive out come... it survived and in good hand(?). I pray so...

Dear readers,

It is not an easy task to be a responsible rescuers. It takes a lot of strength and courage. Alright, to all new rescuers, please plan each and every step before rescuing any animals. There is a lot to learn... we must make sure the animal is given medical attention, if needed... where to go for the medical attention (must have a list of vets in hand... especially the nearest to you. REMEMBER, SPCA is not a clinic), how long or can you care for the animal before re homing them, do you have space for another animal, if not... who can or where can you board it (SPCA IS NOT A BOARDING CENTER... oh ya! just to add in, SPCA DOES NOT CATCH STRAYS. WE FETCH THEM IF YOU MANAGE TO CATCH... or else the Municipal Council will have to do it.)? How much will it cost to board? CAN WE AFFORD IT? Will there be any friends who would agree to pool some monies, or is there a person who is willing to sponsor our rescued animal/s? Is the animal a lost dog / cat. Advertised if they are lost animals, put up posters here and there... Is there any micro chipping? How and where to trace the microchip.... etc., etc....

LASTLY, BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY... DO WE HAVE A POTENTIAL ADOPTER / GOOD HOME? OR ELSE WE WILL END UP WITH MORE AND MORE ANIMALS AT OUR OWN HOME... UNLESS WE CAN AFFORD IT...

In future, it would be better for someone having problems or difficulties with SPCA to send an e-mail or call us rather than posting it in the forum... therefore your problem will go straight to us instead having to go through a grape vine. It will be more pleasant, we could maintain the peacefulness (and i won't be defensive ) and the animals won't be the victims... know what i mean...

Here is the number to call: 03 42535312
E mail to: annbandlow@gmail.com

Till then... have a good day rescuing the strays and abandoned animals...

SHAHRUL BAHARIN

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 10-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Call me Yuana or Yan ;)

euanna is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I suggest your lady friend to ask opinion from other vets or put a question in this forum under "Dogs & Puppies". Maybe it will be more helpful. There's always a lot of helping hands around, people to answer your questions in the forums

Hmm.. I have no comments regarding SPCA .. I've adopted from there once and that's all I have to say

P/S: I have no clue whatsoever about dogs except I'm terrified of them since I was small