Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > General Discussion

General Discussion General information and discuss on animal rescue, adoption and advocacy

Old 06-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default Pulau Ketam Rescue Mission Updates

From The Star Online at http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...314&sec=nation

Friday June 19, 2009

More abandoned dogs in Pulau Selat Kering saved with help of Kuning and Hitam

By Wani Muthiah

KLANG: More dogs have been rescued from the desolate Pulau Selat Kering since the return of Kuning the rescue dog.

According to TV Smith, who initiated and heads the Furry Friends Farm rescue team, Kuning started work immediately after his return to the site earlier this month.

Kuning carries out his search and rescue mission with his canine rescue partner Hitam who is also his housemate on the kelong where they live.

“Kuning had immediately swum to Pulau Selat Kering after his return to help rescue an abandoned dog the following day with Hitam’s help,” said Smith.

He said five dogs had since been rescued from the time Kuning returned to the kelong after being mistakenly taken by two well-meaning independent rescuers who found him near Pulau Selat Kering.

This brings the number of dogs rescued by the team to 26.

No dogs could be rescued during Kuning’s absence from the location.

“It seems only Kuning is able to lure the dogs out to the kelong where the fishermen help out by securing and handing them over to us,” he said.

Both Kuning and Hitam were among the estimated 400 dogs that had been dumped on Pulau Selat Kering by Pulau Ketam residents.

Both dogs, however, managed to swim to the kelong and were fed and taken care of by the workers there.

Apart from strays, the residents are also believed to have dumped their unwanted pets on Pulau Selat Kering, which is an uninhabited mangrove swamp.

Meanwhile, Smith said his group planned to carry out a comprehensive survey of the island to seek out more abandoned dogs.

He said efforts were also underway to coax the villagers to reveal the exact locations where they had dumped the dogs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KuningHitam01.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	6121   Click image for larger version

Name:	f_pg12karin.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	6122  
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 06-23-2009, 01:32 PM
PetFinder Guru

melmel is on a distinguished road
Default Pulau Ketam Rescue Mission Updates

fund raising by Digi 4 Ketam : http://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=2362

Support SPCA on 27th June 2009 - Neutering Campign in Ketam

Notice Board fr SPCA

INTI Students Stand Up For Animals!
Sun, 21st Jun 2009, 06:32pm

Mid-week, the SPCA team headed to INTI College Subang Jaya to officiate the INTI Society For Animal Welfare (I-SAW), and what a great time we had with the students and staff! The students had set up a fundraising and educational booth on our behalf from Monday to Friday, and had invited us to give an educational talk and bring some animals for adoption on Wednesday. The students worked hard – collecting signatures for our Animals Matter To Me campaign, distributing our magazines and educational leaflets, selling our merchandise, collecting donations, while also promoting the AnimalCare project supported by the Subang Jaya Buddhist Association, which aims to improve the welfare of strays through treatment and neutering. They also had a membership recruitment for the newly-formed Society, which filled up in no time!

We are very lucky to have Dr Chan Kah Yein also give an educational talk at the event, as she is an active animal rescuer and strong advocate of trap-neuter-release programs!

One of our ginger kittens found a great home with student Izzat and his family, who love cats! SPCA staff were on hand to answer questions on neutering, adoption, volunteering and about the Pulau Ketam tragedy as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ketam 71.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	6142  

Last edited by melmel; 06-23-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:49 PM
PetFinder Guru

Default Re: Pulau Ketam & MPK Klang Dump Dogs in Uninhabited Island

Notice Board fr SPCA

Rescued Dogs Getting Healthier, Happier

All the dogs are doing very well! 5 out of the 13 are now roaming happily in the compound, friendly and better socialized now. Our regular dedicated volunteer Roli spends a lot of time with the others who are still nervous and defensive, hoping to slowly earn their trust.

Dr Chan Kah Yein and her friends had worked very hard to collect donations from the members of the Subang Jaya Buddhist Association and members of the public during Wesak Day till today to sponsor the treatment of 12 rescued dogs at the private vet. We are very grateful for their donations and unwavering support throughout this trying time
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ketam 72.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	6143  

Last edited by melmel; 06-23-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:58 PM
PetFinder Guru

SPCA Notice Board

One More Dog Rescued on Thursday!
On Thursday this week, the team of Animal Inspectors Cunera and Murugan, vet Dr Lim, Pastor Clarence and two Orang Asli volunteers managed to rescue a beautiful sunshine-coloured dog from Pulau Selat Kering. This brings the number of total dogs rescued to 14 – 12 females, and 2 males. 15, if you include the macho Mr Miracle from Pulau Ketam.

Pastor Clarence and Cunera sat on one of the floating platforms for half an hour, waiting for the dog to come closer. Pastor Clarence swiftly threw a looped nylon leash around the dog's neck, and Cunera grabbed the other end of the leash and held tight. The dog put up a fierce struggle, and started to bite the leash – luckily Murugan and the others came quickly and secured the dog on the boat safely.

As they were re-filling the dog food bowls, they noticed one of the drums on our platforms (that helps it stay afloat) had gone missing. The rope securing it appeared to have been cut, strangely enough. On Friday, we heard that yet another drum had disappeared. One of our dog traps also had been moved to another location. With the help of the orang asli, we will be spray painting the drums and dog-traps to identify them so that they don't go missing - as this will really jeopardize the rescue mission and the safety of the remaining dogs. (message fr melmel : Why sabortage spca rescue mission in P.Selat Kering)

Starting from this weekend, a small team of orang asli will be assisting us to feed, water, and monitor the traps daily. The Animal Inspectors will teach them how to bait the traps, and will go with them every few days to monitor the situation. Everyday, new cases of animal cruelty and neglect are reported to the Inspectorate, requiring their immediate attention and action – this is really a trying time for the duo who have been juggling between the rescue work and more than 60 reported cases a month.

The lucky dog was sent to the vet upon arriving in Ampang, where he is being given a full check-up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ketam 73.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	6144  

Last edited by melmel; 06-23-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation

Dear All,

Please post any updates and news on the Pulau Ketam Rescue Mission here.

This thread is strictly limited to updates only. Any personal attacks, fights, rumours or hostile posts will be deleted and the offender would receive infractions and/or suspensions.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:06 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post
Dear All,

Please post any updates and news on the Pulau Ketam Rescue Mission here.

This thread is strictly limited to updates only. Any personal attacks, fights, rumours or hostile posts will be deleted and the offender would receive infractions and/or suspensions.
Andy,
Look like you save those PK thread from Hall Of Shame. Good to heard that.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:13 PM
PetFinder Guru

Default Re: Pulau Ketam Rescue Mission Updates

Support SPCA Neutering Campaign 4 Ketam Stray Dogs @ 27/6 Sat :

Report in today Sin Chew :
http://mykampung.sinchew.com.my/node/68607?tid=6
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ketam 74.jpg
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	6175  

Last edited by melmel; 06-25-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:45 AM
PetFinder Guru

SPCA & SAS Mass Neutering Campaign 4 Ketam Dogs & Door-to-Door Education Talk 2 Ketam Villagers @ 27 June 2009 Sat :

Thks 2 SPCA, SAS, DVS (esp Dir Gen -Datuk Dr' Aziz ), Klinik Kembiri, Petster (esp William & J-Ye), KDU, Inti & other volunteers :

Report in Chinapress :
http://www.chinapress.com.my/content...t=0628lk10.txt

Report in GuangMing Press :
http://www.guangming.com.my/node/50796?tid=3

Report in Sin Chew Press :
http://www.sinchew.com.my/node/120100?tid=1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ketam 1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	6262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	6263  

Last edited by melmel; 06-28-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:56 PM
PetFinder Guru

SPCA Notice Board :

Kempen Kembiri: Neutering & Education Campaign Receives Encouraging Response at Pulau Ketam

On the 27th of June, we made our way over to Pulau Ketam to conduct our first sterilization and education campaign on the island, which was very successful and brought together the SPCA, Dept of Vet Services, University Putra Malaysia (UPM), Stray Dog Committee chairman Mr Loo and volunteers for one noble cause. The Director General of the DVS Dato' Dr Abdul Aziz bin Jamaluddin and his officers were also present to show their support for the operation and chat with the volunteers and residents!

The neutering of 23 dogs (pets and strays) and 7 pet cats was coordinated and carried out by staff from the DVS, SPCA and UPM from 10am – 5pm. The vets and staff arrived the day before to set up the JKK hall and make logistics arrangements with Mr Loo. Volunteers from Save A Stray (SAS) were on hand to assist with the surgery and recuperation. The hall was bustling with activity.

A 30-strong education street-team led by SPCA was also on the ground on Saturday to go door to door to promote neutering and persuade the residents to register to neuter their pets and community dogs at the next session. The team included volunteers from Petster Magazine, INTI College Animal Welfare Society, KDU College, AnimalCare and other enthusiastic individuals. The volunteers were very focused and worked hard to counsel the residents of Pulau Ketam and get them to register their pets to be neutered – they also managed to immediately bring in two more dogs for neutering within the first hour! At the end of the day, we were all encouraged and deeply motivated – with more than 30 animals neutered on Saturday, and 24 animals (12 cats, 12 dogs) registered to be neutered at the next Kempen Kembiri on the 25th and 26th of July 2009!

The Petster team and volunteers from KDU College also managed to rescue two litters of puppies from under a house – 12 puppies in all – and took them back to be fostered and adopted out! Another volunteer also immediately adopted Toby, a dog that had been surrendered by her owner at the JKK Hall. SAS also took 2 injured stray dogs and 4 puppies into their care, and will attempt to rehome them after being treated at a private vet.

Meals and beverages were provided by the DVS and SPCA for the 55 people who were involved in the whole operation. Mr Loo was also very kind and supportive, helping with the logistics and other arrangements for the post-op care for the dogs.

Overall, it was a wonderful experience for everyone involved – a time to get together, learn and share our love for the animals in an effective way - that would improve the lives of both the animals and people on the Pulau Ketam island. We thank all the organizations and individuals who had helped with this campaign – each of you have played an important role in making it a success!

Please stay tuned for our plans for the second Kempen Kembiri on the island during the last weekend of July!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ketam 75.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	6497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 76.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	6498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 77.jpg
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	6499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 78.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	6500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 79.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	6501  

Name:	Ketam 80.jpg
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	6502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 81.jpg
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	6503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 82.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	6504  

Last edited by melmel; 07-09-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Well done, SPCA & every single organization & individual volunteers concerned.

Thanks for posting the updates in English, Melmel....I couldn't read Chinese.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Animal Lover

Dr. Gorman is on a distinguished road

EXCELLENT news. Congratulations to all who contributed to this first of hopefully many spay and neuter clinics!!!

Dr. Kim Gorman
St. Joseph, MO
Old 07-13-2009, 11:15 AM
PetFinder Guru

mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road

Hello dear people,

Just to inform all of you that SPCA is going to Ketam Island again on 25 & 26th July 2009.

What to do on that day:

SPCA will be honored to have all of you to come with us to Ketam Island. This will be the 2nd Neutering Campaign on the island after the first one, last 27th June 2009. It was very encouraging and surprisingly, the island folks were very cooperative. Thank Goodness.

You may come on both days, or either day of your choice.

Please reply to me or call me at 016 9018727 and let me know how many is coming with you. E-mail me at annbandlows.spca@gmail.com

The schedule...

01) Be at the PULAU KETAM JETTY by 7.45am, please

02) Off to the island by ferry. We will pay for the ferry trips

03) Breakfast on the island provided by SPCA, lunch too

04) We need you to assist the villagers and Neutering team:

a) assemble the villagers
b) register
c) catching the strays (not an easy task may not have to do since the inspector will do it)
d) assisting the vets (the vets will advise you what to do i.e.recovery, washing instrument and display for drying, prep-ing. )
e) you may also bring some old towels for the dogs
f) adopters are welcome too

Thanks a million. Call me to confirm...

Shahrul

p/s: We need more people on Sunday. Saturday is almost full. We are taking 20 volunteers on each day.

...THE DAY I KNOW THE MEANING OF TRUE LOVE, LOYALTY, TRUST AND FRIENDSHIP...
...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 07-13-2009, 12:31 PM
PetFinder Guru

Dear all,

Thanks for your kind attention. The seats are all fully booked for both days.

The next round... may be?

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 07-13-2009, 12:37 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmel View Post

SPCA Notice Board

One More Dog Rescued on Thursday!
On Thursday this week, the team of Animal Inspectors Cunera and Murugan, vet Dr Lim, Pastor Clarence and two Orang Asli volunteers managed to rescue a beautiful sunshine-coloured dog from Pulau Selat Kering. This brings the number of total dogs rescued to 14 – 12 females, and 2 males. 15, if you include the macho Mr Miracle from Pulau Ketam.

Pastor Clarence and Cunera sat on one of the floating platforms for half an hour, waiting for the dog to come closer. Pastor Clarence swiftly threw a looped nylon leash around the dog's neck, and Cunera grabbed the other end of the leash and held tight. The dog put up a fierce struggle, and started to bite the leash – luckily Murugan and the others came quickly and secured the dog on the boat safely.

As they were re-filling the dog food bowls, they noticed one of the drums on our platforms (that helps it stay afloat) had gone missing. The rope securing it appeared to have been cut, strangely enough. On Friday, we heard that yet another drum had disappeared. One of our dog traps also had been moved to another location. With the help of the orang asli, we will be spray painting the drums and dog-traps to identify them so that they don't go missing - as this will really jeopardize the rescue mission and the safety of the remaining dogs. (message fr melmel : Why sabortage spca rescue mission in P.Selat Kering)

Starting from this weekend, a small team of orang asli will be assisting us to feed, water, and monitor the traps daily. The Animal Inspectors will teach them how to bait the traps, and will go with them every few days to monitor the situation. Everyday, new cases of animal cruelty and neglect are reported to the Inspectorate, requiring their immediate attention and action – this is really a trying time for the duo who have been juggling between the rescue work and more than 60 reported cases a month.

The lucky dog was sent to the vet upon arriving in Ampang, where he is being given a full check-up.
Dear Melmel,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for posting the up dates of Ketam Island issues.

All seats for the next campaign are filled up. Hope to see you too.

Thanks again.

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 07-13-2009, 03:06 PM
PetFinder Guru

28 ketam dogs

...TIGER IN MEMORY...

Last edited by mrsdolittle; 07-13-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:11 PM
PetFinder Guru

Wait haaa....

Trying to upload the photos....

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 07-13-2009, 03:35 PM
PetFinder Guru

Anybody know how to open and paste the whole e-news and photos? HELP!!!

...TIGER IN MEMORY...

Last edited by mrsdolittle; 07-13-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:41 PM
PetFinder Guru

SPCA Notice Board

Pulau Selat Kering Rescue Updates
Tue, 7th Jul 2009, 07:10pm

In the last 10 days, the SPCA Selangor Rescue & Relief team have rescued another 8 dogs and puppies from Pulau Selat Kering and the neighbouring mangroves, bringing the total to 22 dogs rescued by the team. With the assistance of Pastor Clarence and several orang asli, the team have been returning almost everyday to scour the island for dogs, refilling the food and water stations and build several platforms among the mangroves for the dogs to rest and escape the sea-water.

All the dogs are recovering well at the SPCA Selangor Office after treatment at the private vet, with the first batch of 12 vaccinated dogs being transferred to the Animal Shelter for neutering and subsequent adoption. Their photos and details will be uploaded to our website by the weekend, please do view them online and visit them at the shelter and see if you can give one of these dogs a home – they really need to learn to trust and love again.

Volunteers who are experienced dog-handlers are welcome to visit and help to socialize the dogs on weekends. For more information on these socialization sessions and to sign-up, please contact jacinta.spca@gmail.com !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ketam 84.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	6611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 85.jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	6612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 86.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	6613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 87.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	6614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 88.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	6615  

Old 07-22-2009, 01:34 PM
PetFinder Guru

Date : 25th July

Time : 10 am to 9.30 pm

Venue : KDU Auditorium

Event : Rave 2 Save (Ketam dogs)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ketam 89.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	6750  
Old 08-07-2009, 06:18 PM
PetFinder Guru

Dear all,

We are happy to inform that 20 out of 34 dogs rescued from Ketam Island had been re homed.

We have 14 more to go... so do come and adopt them.... you may also adopt those not from Ketam Island...

Thanks all for supporting us in any ways. We really appreciate your kind help.

With love...

...TIGER IN MEMORY...