Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Animal Lover

Shugo is on a distinguished road
Default weird dog behaviour?

i had a dog, i notice his kinda weird... cause when i bring him to a walk.. he's not like walking.. he's like running making the collar chocking him.. and he wants to pee pee on every single tyre,tree,streetlight we pass by... what happen?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:19 PM
PetFinder Guru

Rayquaza17 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: weird dog behaviour?

Well, Your dog is just being excited outside! He pee everywhere and you mention streetlight,tyres etc? He is marking his territory. :) Nothing wrong in here. Just a kinda dominant behavior.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:01 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shugo View Post
i had a dog, i notice his kinda weird... cause when i bring him to a walk.. he's not like walking.. he's like running making the collar chocking him.. and he wants to pee pee on every single tyre,tree,streetlight we pass by... what happen?
Shugo, dogs need to be trained to walk nicely on leash, they don't simply know how to do it on their own. The first question any good trainer will ask you is, has your dog had enough exercise? It's going to be difficult to teach him anything at all if he has a lot of bottled-up energy. Do you have a place where you can throw things for him to run and fetch?

Once he's calm, put some small treats in your pocket. Ask him to walk a short distance with his head at the side of your leg ('heeling'). When he does this nicely, on a loose leash, reward him! Make a big fuss, telling him how good he is and giving a treat. Repeat. If he starts to charge ahead, make a sharp turn to block him. A few steps at your side with a loose leash? More rewards and treats! It takes time and patience, but make it fun for him, and for you too.

Also, pulling on the collar all the time is bad for his health and miserable for you. If you can find one, try a Halti. It's a head-harness that is humane but stops the pulling. Good luck!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:57 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Shugo, dogs need to be trained to walk nicely on leash, they don't simply know how to do it on their own. The first question any good trainer will ask you is, has your dog had enough exercise? It's going to be difficult to teach him anything at all if he has a lot of bottled-up energy. Do you have a place where you can throw things for him to run and fetch?

Once he's calm, put some small treats in your pocket. Ask him to walk a short distance with his head at the side of your leg ('heeling'). When he does this nicely, on a loose leash, reward him! Make a big fuss, telling him how good he is and giving a treat. Repeat. If he starts to charge ahead, make a sharp turn to block him. A few steps at your side with a loose leash? More rewards and treats! It takes time and patience, but make it fun for him, and for you too.

Also, pulling on the collar all the time is bad for his health and miserable for you. If you can find one, try a Halti. It's a head-harness that is humane but stops the pulling. Good luck!
I have a space... But I'm afraid that if I let him loose....he will run around chasing innocent kids and I will have a hard time running against him.... And dealing with kids parents....
Old 01-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
I have a space... But I'm afraid that if I let him loose....he will run around chasing innocent kids and I will have a hard time running against him.... And dealing with kids parents....
Ah, no -- I meant an enclosed space where he can run safely without either harming anyone else or coming to harm himself.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Ah, no -- I meant an enclosed space where he can run safely without either harming anyone else or coming to harm himself.
My parents wont allow him into the house because wont behave... i tried letting him in once... and he poop all over my house....but i do have a spot for him out doors... its a custom big cage i made...its like a crocodile cage just slightly smaller..... and also he's tied up cause it can jump out from the cage.... i feel really bad doing this so i wanna start making my dog behave so my parent will allow him indoors.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 PM
PetFinder Guru

Did you train him? And do you have a garden for him to run around? I think he need his energy wasted. Tired dogs tend to hear you more as they are not so jumpy when they are tired.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:29 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayquaza17 View Post
Did you train him? And do you have a garden for him to run around? I think he need his energy wasted. Tired dogs tend to hear you more as they are not so jumpy when they are tired.
Train? ashamed to say... no... i mean i tried.. but thing doesn't work out... i dint know how to train a dog... i watched the show "dog whisperer"....and i tried the way he train those dogs... and realizing that show is full of Sh*t....so...i had yard for him to walk but he will crush all my granny's bonsai.....do you have any idea on how to train a dog? i'd like to hear it.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:52 AM
PetFinder Guru

Well, there is many ways to train your dog. I have 3 dogs myself and I train them all myself too except the 3rd one who came with a lil of obedience training. Maybe you can pm me and I will try helping you out on obedience training for beginning. We try step by step and I will try answering the problem. I am not expert but I sure do have some experience to help out with.

I am also ashamed to say my 3 dogs aren't that good at walking but the 2nd one listen to me well enough outside.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Train? ashamed to say... no... i mean i tried.. but thing doesn't work out... i dint know how to train a dog... i watched the show "dog whisperer"....and i tried the way he train those dogs... and realizing that show is full of Sh*t....so...i had yard for him to walk but he will crush all my granny's bonsai.....do you have any idea on how to train a dog? i'd like to hear it.
Shugo, it sounds like you got a dog without planning to spend the time to understand its behaviours and train it. If you tie a baby in a cage and simply expect it to grow up knowing how to behave properly you'll get the same unfortunate results. Like small children, dogs require training, and that takes time, effort, consistency and love. How to train a dog is not something that Petfinder members can share with you in a sentence or two in the forum.

When you say that Cesar Milan, 'the dog whisperer' is "full of Sh*t", I suspect you tried something you saw on the show once or twice and then gave up. Training a dog is not something you do in an hour or two, any more than raising a child is something you do in a week. It's a lifelong journey, but it can also be a great way to bond with and enjoy your dog's company! :-)

I would really recommend that you seek the help of a professional trainer. (And I hope other members will speak up here and share the names of trainers with whom they have had good results!) Here, too, you must be cautious, because not all people who offer training services are competent at their work. You might start by speaking with Carlos at G-Pet: http://g-pet.com/s-training.html. I wish you and your dog the best of luck.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:15 PM
PetFinder Guru

What Maneki Neko says is very right. We only have advices but we are not expert. :)
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Shugo, it sounds like you got a dog without planning to spend the time to understand its behaviours and train it. If you tie a baby in a cage and simply expect it to grow up knowing how to behave properly you'll get the same unfortunate results. Like small children, dogs require training, and that takes time, effort, consistency and love. How to train a dog is not something that Petfinder members can share with you in a sentence or two in the forum.

When you say that Cesar Milan, 'the dog whisperer' is "full of Sh*t", I suspect you tried something you saw on the show once or twice and then gave up. Training a dog is not something you do in an hour or two, any more than raising a child is something you do in a week. It's a lifelong journey, but it can also be a great way to bond with and enjoy your dog's company! :-)

I would really recommend that you seek the help of a professional trainer. (And I hope other members will speak up here and share the names of trainers with whom they have had good results!) Here, too, you must be cautious, because not all people who offer training services are competent at their work. You might start by speaking with Carlos at G-Pet: http://g-pet.com/s-training.html. I wish you and your dog the best of luck.
thanks for eveything, i will pay more attention on my dog from now on.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:45 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Your dog wants to please you. He or she also needs plenty of exercise for the body and mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	training.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	11730