Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 05-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Animal Lover

tiavanhooper is on a distinguished road
Default Snappy Tom Cat Canned Food

Hi all ,

I bought this cat canned food called SNAPPY TOM today. I've searched about this product online and found out that this product is Australian product manufactured in Thailand.

But its hard to find costumer review on this product. Well, I guess this product is new in market.

I bought this product to as a mixture for INNOVA EVO which is quite pricy if I didn't mix with cheaper product.

Is any of you buying SNAPPY TOM regularly?
How was it?
Old 05-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Animal Lover

aldot is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Snappy Tom Cat Canned Food

My cats dont really like it. I feed them with pro diet and whiskas.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:08 AM
Animal Lover

Wow, I guess I have to try one can for my kitten first, see if he like it. I hope he will like it because I already bought 4 cans in advance.

Is your cat still eat it even tho your cat don't like it?
Old 05-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Animal Lover

Nope. They re fussy.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Animal Lover

Nooooo,

Now u make me scared, but thanks for the info btw.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:16 PM
PetFinder Guru

Meffy is on a distinguished road

Quite a number of respectable cat & dog food brands are made in Thailand. Brands like Weruva, Fussie Cat, Tiki, Petite Cruisine and even small cans of Avoderm.

You should have bought one can to test out first cuz if a cat doesn't like it, he's not gonna eat it. It happened to me so many times already. Sometimes my cat just don't like the flavor and I'll be coming home to a plate full of flies! I'll have to feed the rest of the can to the strays.

I hope your cat will like it :)
Old 05-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Animal Lover

Hi Meffy,

Ah, so its OK if its manufactured in Thailand since a lot of good brand Manufactured in Thailand. I thought its a No No.

Yeah I know, blinded with the promotion price.

Anyways, I tried the food already and my cat seems to be OK with it, he ate it like how he ate his normal blend. I'm so glad he can take it.

The texture is kinda disgusting actually for me, more like chunks of fish with all the parts and bone, like when I buy canned sardine, exactly like that in jelly like stuff look like sardine pudding. Ewwwww.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:21 PM
PetFinder Guru

Ewww....I don't like jelly in cat food. You know if you buy Whiskas or Friskies, the jelly is so hard and it comes in a huge chunk in between the fish? I used to feed my cat those 2 brands. She would eat everything but the jelly. Fussie Cat has less amount of jelly unless it says something like "Seafood in jelly". I usually pick the flavors with the least jelly which is Sardine & Chicken, Tuna, Tuna & Chicken. Another brand with no jelly at all is Qiut. It's packed with nothing but tuna.

The jelly is also made of animal fat somewhat similar to the ones used for making fabric softener. Scary huh? That is why I'm avoiding too much jelly in my cat's food.

What kibbles are you feeding your cat?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:48 PM
PetFinder Guru

How much is large can of Evo? I've never seen in around JB :( So hard to find the good stuff here.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:59 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meffy View Post
Ewww....I don't like jelly in cat food. You know if you buy Whiskas or Friskies, the jelly is so hard and it comes in a huge chunk in between the fish? I used to feed my cat those 2 brands. She would eat everything but the jelly. Fussie Cat has less amount of jelly unless it says something like "Seafood in jelly". I usually pick the flavors with the least jelly which is Sardine & Chicken, Tuna, Tuna & Chicken. Another brand with no jelly at all is Qiut. It's packed with nothing but tuna.

The jelly is also made of animal fat somewhat similar to the ones used for making fabric softener. Scary huh? That is why I'm avoiding too much jelly in my cat's food.

What kibbles are you feeding your cat?
Hi, Meffy -- yes, my holistic vet says precisely the same thing about the gelling agent used in a number of the cat foods, including Snappy Tom. It's not approved for human consumption, but they justify putting it into cat food because cats have shorter life spans. For me, that's no excuse to feed my cats something that is primarily used for fabric softener and may well be toxic or carcinogenic. For commercial canned foods, this vet recommends Addiction, Natural Balance, (maybe Evo but I can't recall, because my own cats hated it), and Go! These are premium foods, and they do cost more than, say Whiskas wet food. Look at it as an investment, my vet advised. You will save later on vet bills and kidney failure treatment. My own compromise is to feed Addiction canned for breakfast and a home-cooked stew for dinner. On her advice, we're off biscuit altogether.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Animal Lover

For Canned food I feed him Innova Evo mix with Fish 4 Cat Salmon Mousse and Snappy Tom (just started). For wet I feed him Orijen. Some occasion I feeding him raw home made food.

The wet food only twice a day for dry food only 2 table spoon for the whole day, he don't really take dry unless he is very hungry.

He is 4 months old btw.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Animal Lover

Geez...similar as to fabric softener???? Now i seriously need to consider of feeding my cat with whiskas and prodiet. I think prodiet got more jelly if compared to whiskas.

Btw izit true Tuna is not good for cats?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:18 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldot View Post
Geez...similar as to fabric softener???? Now i seriously need to consider of feeding my cat with whiskas and prodiet. I think prodiet got more jelly if compared to whiskas.

Btw izit true Tuna is not good for cats?
I read it here http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9020916AAR8AWV

I wonder if cat food tuna is okay since it has all the added nutrients.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
I read it here http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9020916AAR8AWV

I wonder if cat food tuna is okay since it has all the added nutrients.
I'm not claiming to be an expert on feline nutrition, but I've heard from two sources that tuna is not the optimal food for cats. First, my holistic vet recommended feeding fish-based foods on a limited basis. She didn't suggest avoiding them altogether but to serve a majority of other meats.

I also read a wonderful book a few months ago, Think Like a Cat, by Pam Johnson-Bennett. I learned all sorts of cool things about kitty psychology and behaviours, but I was also gratified to see that she echoed my vet's advice. She also discourages feeding a lot of tuna, and she adds another reason to limit or avoid it: MOST CATS LOVE IT! They get started eating tuna, and the next thing you know, they won't touch anything else. This was my experience with my cats, who had truly become tuna addicts. I nearly gave up hope that they would ever try anything else after a short time of eating Fussie Cat tuna... It was a few nights of howling and complaint before they finally decided that they would have to try home-cooked stews instead of their beloved tuna.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:27 PM
PetFinder Guru

It seems unavoidable. Is tuna tastier than other fish? My cat is the same way. I'd buy a variety of flavors so she won't be addicted but she only likes tuna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
I'm not claiming to be an expert on feline nutrition, but I've heard from two sources that tuna is not the optimal food for cats. First, my holistic vet recommended feeding fish-based foods on a limited basis. She didn't suggest avoiding them altogether but to serve a majority of other meats.

I also read a wonderful book a few months ago, Think Like a Cat, by Pam Johnson-Bennett. I learned all sorts of cool things about kitty psychology and behaviours, but I was also gratified to see that she echoed my vet's advice. She also discourages feeding a lot of tuna, and she adds another reason to limit or avoid it: MOST CATS LOVE IT! They get started eating tuna, and the next thing you know, they won't touch anything else. This was my experience with my cats, who had truly become tuna addicts. I nearly gave up hope that they would ever try anything else after a short time of eating Fussie Cat tuna... It was a few nights of howling and complaint before they finally decided that they would have to try home-cooked stews instead of their beloved tuna.

Last edited by Meffy; 05-25-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:12 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
It seems unavoidable. Is tuna tastier than other fish? My cat is the same way. I'd buy a variety of flavors so she won't be addicted but she only likes tuna.
Hi, Meffy! From my conversations with vets and the book's author's comments, the answer is YES. Tuna is a very distinctive and strong flavour that cats find nearly irresistable. When Dr. Susanna encouraged me to make the transition to all wet food, she gave me several ideas about how to wean the cats off their Addiction biscuit. That, however, was not the problem -- they weren't kibble junkies, they were tuna junkies!

She began by saying that the 'bad' wet foods (containing the toxic gelling agent) are still better for the cats than even the best biscuit. So the first step was to stop the biscuit altogether and change to 2 feedings of wet food, even if it was still tuna. Then I tried some of the Addiction meat -- venison, brushtail possum, etc. They ate those, but grudgingly. We tried the Addiction unagi. Yes, that was ok, too. Very strangely, my 2 cats will not touch chicken, either commercially canned or home cooked. Through trial and error, I've learned that they will eat stews of beef, buffalo and/or mutton. They won't touch pork. They almost never eat as eagerly as they did when I fed tuna, though. Someone once quipped that tuna is cocaine for cats. I think he's right!
Old 05-26-2012, 01:11 PM
PetFinder Guru

Same here. My girl is not a big fan of kibbles either. It's like 'standby' food for 12 hours until I come home at night for her dinner.

Stew sounds yummy. Could you share your recipe? I'm not sure what I should cook with the chicken aside from plain boiled. There are some ingredients that are not suitable for cats.

Quote:
Hi, Meffy! From my conversations with vets and the book's author's comments, the answer is YES. Tuna is a very distinctive and strong flavour that cats find nearly irresistable. When Dr. Susanna encouraged me to make the transition to all wet food, she gave me several ideas about how to wean the cats off their Addiction biscuit. That, however, was not the problem -- they weren't kibble junkies, they were tuna junkies!

She began by saying that the 'bad' wet foods (containing the toxic gelling agent) are still better for the cats than even the best biscuit. So the first step was to stop the biscuit altogether and change to 2 feedings of wet food, even if it was still tuna. Then I tried some of the Addiction meat -- venison, brushtail possum, etc. They ate those, but grudgingly. We tried the Addiction unagi. Yes, that was ok, too. Very strangely, my 2 cats will not touch chicken, either commercially canned or home cooked. Through trial and error, I've learned that they will eat stews of beef, buffalo and/or mutton. They won't touch pork. They almost never eat as eagerly as they did when I fed tuna, though. Someone once quipped that tuna is cocaine for cats. I think he's right!
Old 05-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Petfinder Moderator

My 'recipe' (if you can call it that) is as follows:

About 90% meat, 5% root vegetable (carrot, yam, potato, etc.) 5% green vegetable

Stew the meat til cooked through, then cook the veggies til tender. Either chop or blend ingredients with as much of the stewing liquid as needed to get a good consistency. My cats seem to like plenty of liquid in their stew.

I add a teaspoon or so of organic kelp powder, which gives them calcium, iron and B vitamins. Some people add crushed egg shell for calcium.

I also give them chewable multivitamin tablets a couple of times a week, and they get commercial canned food for breakfast, so I know they're getting their taurine, etc.

A lot of people say it's great to include organ meat, but I've had a hard time locating beef or mutton organs. If I were cooking chicken stew, I'd throw in liver, gizzards, etc.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the holistic vet and others have told me not to fret about feeding the cats 'human food'. One friend said when her cats got fussy about home-cooked, she mixes in some tinned sardines in tomato sauce. I was stunned, but the vet says she gives the sardines as a treat, too. I was stunned to see my cats diving enthusiastically into that tomato sauce. I throw a single clove of garlic into the stew once in a while, although large quantities of onion and garlic are a no-no. When I am feeling desperate and they're being obstinate, a tiny dribble of kicap manis has enticed them to empty their bowls.

Quote:
Same here. My girl is not a big fan of kibbles either. It's like 'standby' food for 12 hours until I come home at night for her dinner.

Stew sounds yummy. Could you share your recipe? I'm not sure what I should cook with the chicken aside from plain boiled. There are some ingredients that are not suitable for cats.

Last edited by Maneki Neko; 05-26-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:13 AM
PetFinder Guru

Thank you for sharing! It seems quite simple to do too. I'll add some carrots and potatoes to my chicken stew next time. Are those vitamins specially for cats or can I use human vitamins?

Hehe..sardines. When I was younger, we used to feed leftovers to the stray cats that hung around the back alley of our house. Sometimes when we'd buy a small can of cheap sardines and mash it with leftover rice. The cats love it so much

Actually, I don't really understand why we can't feed them human food. As long as there are no ingredients that are harmful to cats, I feel there's nothing wrong. Maybe the cat food companies just want to make money out of it.
Quote:
My 'recipe'
Old 05-27-2012, 07:43 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Are those vitamins specially for cats or can I use human vitamins?
They are specially for cats -- they contain vitamins, minerals and amino acids (including the very important taurine) in amounts appropriate to cats. I've been giving Pet Naturals brand, and the cats love the taste, so it's a treat for them.