Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > PetFinder Lounge > Coffee Room

Coffee Room Gossip on the latest topics or just mingle around and enjoy the atmosphere!

Old 08-31-2010, 11:38 PM
Animal Lover

syidajaafar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Edu: Any TESLians out there? :D

TESLian in da house!!!!!!!!

B.Ed TESL (Hons.) 2007
Universiti Teknologi Mara

Wahwahwahwah seharian tak jenguk, tup2 dah ada thread untuk TESLians dan dah meriah pulak tu!!! Huhu daku ketinggalan keretapi...

There were so many other TESLians who have explained in detail about their experiences regarding B.Ed TESL in their respective universities/instituitions, so I guess it is now my turn to tell you about B.Ed (TESL) programme in UiTM.

Basically, B.Ed (TESL) programme in UiTM takes four years to complete, plus one year of pre degree/foundation. But if you apply with your diploma, you don't have to do the pre degree.

Based on what you said, i think you should consider enrolling in UiTM for your degree. Why?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawr2buny View Post
I have always had passion in languages-especially English & Japanese - & I also enjoy teaching.
In UiTM, it is compulsory for all students to take a third language for the first three semesters, such as Japanese, French, Arabic etc2. There are so many languages to choose from. And if you want to continue taking it for the rest 5 semesters, it is up to you to do so. (I took French and it was so much fun!!!!)

Quote:
Is it possible for me to change from IT diploma tu Edu degree? (assuming I wanna continue my studies in IPTA)
Yes it is. I got friends who have diploma in IT and also in Office Management who enrolled in our programme. No problem at all.

The most important thing is, show your love towards English Language and teaching profession during the interview, and you'll be fine.

Try to apply for the second intake, somewhere in July, your chance to get selected is higher since UiTM diploma students/SPM students/STPM students were already taken in (they will be the first priority). You don't have to 'fight' for a place with them

Some of us (like me) can't stand teaching in schools (i'm more of a cat person rather than a kids person hehehe) but that's not a problem for us UiTM TESLians. We don't have any 'contracts' whatsoever. We can be whatever we want (some of my friends do PR, some become lecturers *like me* and some just send their applications to the Education Ministry to become school teachers and got selected in no time at all. No strings attached...

But what i want to say is, TESl grads laku macam goreng pisang panas, tak sempat nak bosan kat rumah, dah macam2 tempat rebut2 nak grab kita hehe.

For example, my batch habih blaja in November/Disember, by April semua dah dapat keje (i dpt keje in February), masa konvo in June semua dah kaya2 hehehe melaram tak ingat!

Fuh. penat dah.

All the best Sha!
Old 09-01-2010, 08:11 AM
was a cat before

azmyrax is on a distinguished road

Quote:

KPLI ya.. where have I heard of that before.. So usually KPLI ni dekat maktab or something ye? o_O Err what's the difference eh? So basically we can apply TESL in IPG or local Uni?

Thank you mira! hehe, so happy to see all the replies, learnt so many things and now I feel so excited I cant wait to change to TESL. :3 InsyaAllah will be joining you seniors teaching in few years time!

Btw, menyibuk, Mira can draw?
Sorry sha, I thought you amik degree IT, terlepas pandang IT dip. KPLI tu Kursus perguruan lepasan ijazah. Rajin-rajin la check online BPG punya website ke, kot-kot ade peluang ke.
I can draw a bit, check la photos on my fb <<market sniri

Quote:
Originally Posted by syidajaafar View Post
In UiTM, it is compulsory for all students to take a third language for the first three semesters, such as Japanese, French, Arabic etc2. There are so many languages to choose from. And if you want to continue taking it for the rest 5 semesters, it is up to you to do so. (I took French and it was so much fun!!!!)
I took French! Tapi pastu in Auckland I got bored so I took Japanese with a private tutor

My programme actually took about 5 and a half years including foundation. I thought I'd never finish also. Tapi since my degree was funded by Ministry (makan berak all percuma ditanggung ministry), so our batch have to do service for 4 years, except the 16 who got into IPG, have to do 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurkasih View Post
And why do you want to go for children literature? Young adult literature being left untouched? The methodology will be a lil bit different yet, my lecturer always say..'there's a child in everyone'. Young adult will also be attracted to colours, cartoons, animations and etc etc. That's the reason why the government put in Black Beauty's Graphic Novel for the new literature circle for secondary students. As for me, my interest is mainly Young Adult literature as this section of literature is not yet fully researched.

Not all my friends from my batch were posted to schools.. Some end up being as tutors in universities and some end up in matriculations as tutors as well. Criteria of choosing, no idea as we of the same batch, knows who was better than who..but I guess it's random pick as we were the very first batch. I am stuck in school for at least another 2 years, then praying to get out for good. I am losing my literature touch here
I like children's literature because it so comel lahhh~~ But, you said that Young Adult Literature is not fully yet researched? Tapi kan, nowadays I feel that there's a very fine line between Young Adult literature and Adult literature. Kan? or tak?

I Cohort 3 from cycle 2 overseas twinning programme, pastu ni first time diorang curi degree holder masuk IPG, huha-huha satu BPG. Isk isk isk kami tak bersalah kami just menurut perintah surat posting
Old 09-01-2010, 09:02 AM
nyan nyan :3

rawr2buny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to rawr2buny

Quote:
Originally Posted by syidajaafar View Post
TESLian in da house!!!!!!!!

B.Ed TESL (Hons.) 2007
Universiti Teknologi Mara

:
:
:
:
:
:

All the best Sha!
Hehe, perlu la ade this thread or else i'll be asking more & more dan mengajak orang ke arah kesesatan topic in shima's thread. mararh odie, becky & putih nanti teehee. funny isn't it, I went asking about TESL in quite a number of education forum, last-last dapat info dekat petfinder. Gosh, I LOVE PF, sungguh hebat dan versatile

Ooo so basically its umm 1 year for foundation + 4 years of degree? but having a diploma tak perlu the foundation? would that be okay eventhough mine would be diploma in IT kan. Wouldnt I be missing anything if I skip the foundation year? 8D Ni orang yang terlambat nak join train TESLians ni karang sampai tua baru terkial-kial nak habis degree ahhh wait first thing, if I apply for TESL in UITM, usually the campus dekat mana ye? *is worried* I have heard that it might be in Shah Alam or Melaka.. 8D;

Hohoho, yeah that's one of the reasons why I am targetting UITM. Currently I'm taking a private Japanese class but with my insternship and all, need to stop soon. :( It'd be nice kalau dapat Japanese class kan, teehee boleh practice lagi & lagi so that I wont forget whatever I have learned before.

WAHH serious? so kawan sis lepas dapat IT diploma she took TESL? Wee~ this is making me happy, to know that someone out there ada yang sama bertukar dari IT ke Edu.

Thanks for the tips, noted, July intake ye.. hmm that's nice, so I'll have some time to settle down and rehat-rehat dulu. July intake means I need apply for the course in July or..? *is confused*

OO ye btw btw, French best tak? I've never felt like learning other languages. and and the teacher yang ajar languages, foreigners ke malaysian? if Im not mistaken my friend in shah alam told me, her japanese lecturer is a japanese. cool. :3

Hehehe must be nice if we can teach our cats english kan? Confirm ramai cat lovers bahagia. kekeke.

Thank you sis! Teehee *is happy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmyrax View Post
Sorry sha, I thought you amik degree IT, terlepas pandang IT dip. KPLI tu Kursus perguruan lepasan ijazah. Rajin-rajin la check online BPG punya website ke, kot-kot ade peluang ke.
I can draw a bit, check la photos on my fb <<market sniri

I took French! Tapi pastu in Auckland I got bored so I took Japanese with a private tutor

My programme actually took about 5 and a half years including foundation. I thought I'd never finish also. Tapi since my degree was funded by Ministry (makan berak all percuma ditanggung ministry), so our batch have to do service for 4 years, except the 16 who got into IPG, have to do 5 years.

Heehee its okay :3 jangan malu-malu miow hehe, righty, will google more info soon. mentang dah nak habis IT course ni kan terus berlagak nak lupa terus *ish ebil*

Whoa, private Japanese tutor in Auckland?! YAYY SAME HERE *hi5s* XD So mira can speak japanese? *bat eyelashes* Japanese is hard, gahhh~ I was supposed to take N4 this year but no can do, so tired with my internship I barely had time to open my japanese notes. tsk tsk. rugi nyee.

----------------
Oh yee, other than English/Japanese/French what are other languages yang rase-rase macam best nak belajar? heehe. I once learned Mandarin, terpaksa because it is compulsory in my kindergarten. I can talk back then but I have always hated the class since the first day in the kindergarten, as soon as I transferred into a new place, terus lupa semua.. rugii

hai haii~ arigatou, yoku benkyou shimashitaa (had a hard time nak buang my japanese in this forum HAHAHA)
Old 09-01-2010, 09:15 AM
~feline attaché

nurkasih is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmyrax View Post

I like children's literature because it so comel lahhh~~ But, you said that Young Adult Literature is not fully yet researched? Tapi kan, nowadays I feel that there's a very fine line between Young Adult literature and Adult literature. Kan? or tak?

Imagine this, psychologically, 13 - 19 year old mental growth with 20 and upwards , I do not think it is the same or rather has the very fine line between both. 13-19 y.0 or newly coined word, tween ( preadolescence of middle children to teenagers ) has their own way of thinking than of the adults. Look around you, for example, Harry Potter series, Twilight, are of the example of this Young Adult soft 'literature'. They portray out of the world characters which uses adolescents mainly as major characters. They face problems of normal growing up adolescents, love, betrayal, selfishness yet they are still bound to have adults to show them the way.. In instance, in Harry Porter needs the Principle ( forgot the name..) and sometimes the mother suddenly appear to get him out of trouble.. that's childish.. and twilight on the other hand, full of cliche of love, lost, friendship, confusion..that's middle crisis of adolescence where finally they will sought after the advice of the head of the family. So , conclusion, young adult is of the middle of children and adult literature. Adult literature is wayyy different from young adult literature as adult literature deals more with problem like in marriage, divorce, child lost, workplace issues, corruptions.. that's the beginning of an adult novel.. American teenagers are mostly avid readers and that is the reason why their teenagers reading Stephan King ( which actually meant for adult ) and Harry Potter is categorized as children literature. We, on the other hand, lacking of research ( in our context ), look at how they previously chose the 1st circle of literature to be used in schools. Dealing with war? Differences of ethnics? death , death and death. Owh my!! Until Dr Malachi ( http://edwinvethamani.com/modules/ti...ndex.php?id=36 ) wrote and presented papers after papers then only they change it.. which is now.. That's why we have Form 3 learning "Rumpelstilskin" now rather than 'The Prizoner of Zenda' dealing with someone fighting for the throne.. What's that relevant to our students

Sorry, I am really into literature. terbawa-bawa..dah panjang..
Old 09-01-2010, 09:33 AM
was a cat before

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurkasih View Post
hat's why we have Form 3 learning "Rumpelstilskin" now rather than 'The Prizoner of Zenda' dealing with someone fighting for the throne.. What's that relevant to our students

Sorry, I am really into literature. terbawa-bawa..dah panjang..
hahaha betul tu i was wondering as well masa form 5 dulu, why laaaaaaa all our literature texts semuanya very depressing, tak teenage betul kekekekeke. and oh btw, im thinking of children's literature jugak sebab my office mostly do training for primary school teacher

hmmmm tgh pikir-pikir option lagi. kalau ada peluang, nak g US for master degree. amik cuti setahun . tapi kucing-kucing????
Old 09-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Ooo so basically its umm 1 year for foundation + 4 years of degree? but having a diploma tak perlu the foundation? would that be okay eventhough mine would be diploma in IT kan. Wouldnt I be missing anything if I skip the foundation year? 8D Ni orang yang terlambat nak join train TESLians ni karang sampai tua baru terkial-kial nak habis degree ahhh wait first thing, if I apply for TESL in UITM, usually the campus dekat mana ye? *is worried* I have heard that it might be in Shah Alam or Melaka.. 8D;

You don't have to do your foundation if you already have a diploma. So it's going to be 4 years for you then. You won't miss much actually, because in your degree years everything will be taught again. But in some cases, like the basic for phonetics, you have to learn it on your own/learn from your friends who did their foundation since during degree years we are not going to learn the basics anymore. But not to worry, i'm sure you can do it since all my friends with the IT Diploma managed to do it

All degree students will be in UiTM Shah Alam. Moreover, Faculty of Education has its' own campus in Seksyen 17, Shah Alam, so kita memang tak campur kat main campus in Seksyen 3 tu. Yang kat Melaka/Kuantan tu, itu khas untuk students foundation ok...kat Shah Alam pun ada budak2 foundation ni...

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, noted, July intake ye.. hmm that's nice, so I'll have some time to settle down and rehat-rehat dulu. July intake means I need apply for the course in July or..? *is confused*
Ooops sorry for the confusion. You have to peel your eyes, ears and all your other senses for the UiTM's second intake application advertisement in the newspaper somewhere in July. Or better still, you can go to any UiTM branch and ask for the application form (that's what i did, but i'm not sure whether it is still applicable nowadays). Starting June, i suggest you to get every newspaper on the newsstand so that you won't miss out ya. But if you want to try for the first intake, by all means go and try. For the first intake you have to apply under UPU, somewhere in April (after SPM results is out). If you don't get the offer, at least you can get experience for the interview that can be used later when you apply for the second intake.

Quote:
OO ye btw btw, French best tak? I've never felt like learning other languages. and and the teacher yang ajar languages, foreigners ke malaysian? if Im not mistaken my friend in shah alam told me, her japanese lecturer is a japanese. cool. :3
French best! Best sbb senang sangat because basically, it is just like English. (the rules, grammar etc2). Seriously. Mula2 blaja memang blur, but as soon as you see that it is just like English, it will be smooth sailing for you hehe. My lecturer is a Malaysian je (not Malay), but at least she tried not to look like us Malaysian by dyeing her hair ORANGE! Hehehe i love her though. Very patient with us the "Malay-tongued" students who tried to speak French

Quote:
Oh yee, other than English/Japanese/French what are other languages yang rase-rase macam best nak belajar? heehe. I once learned Mandarin, terpaksa because it is compulsory in my kindergarten. I can talk back then but I have always hated the class since the first day in the kindergarten, as soon as I transferred into a new place, terus lupa semua.. rugii
Oh. Mandarin pun ada tau offered as a third language, if you ever want to learn it again.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:31 AM
nyan nyan :3

rawr2buny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to rawr2buny

@nurkasih & azmyrax: Whoa english literature dah tukar eh dekat sekolah? *jeles* haha now that you two mention it baru nak perasan dulu semua ada unsur kematian, depresssing je cerita.

@syida: Whoops thought of replying yesterday, sungguhla major STML sha ni.. saved this reply in notepad and ended up forgetting to post dekat thread HAHA. anak bertuah siapa nii /_\

Ooo 4 years eh. Shorter, better. taking too much time is not good but I feel rugi pulak, miss all the fun introductions :3 Heehee thank you sis. I seriously hope I'll get the chance to join TESL, finish it and be happy with it. I hope I'll enjoy it to the max nanti, I scared kalau jadi macam sekarang ni lagi, doing something you dont like is damn hard. God knows how I'e managed to survive till today. Another 33 days before my internship ends (that is kalau dah tolak cuti raya + sabtus & ahads <-- siap countdown LOL nampak nye tak ikhlas)

Ohh meaning the place for TESL foundation ade 3? Say if I have to take the foundation, die bagi tempat randomly ke?

Naaah, its okay. I tend to auto type all those *expressions* hehe. *smacks own fingers* Hmm to be safe, I guess right after I finished my internship I'll start looking around and maybe pergi survey the Us. Then try applying for first intake but I guess I prefer 2nd intake kot. A-And the interview susah tak susah tak? Environment die macam mana? Ramai interviewers?

Hohoho I have always had this mind set, yang languages like French, Spanish ni semua susah sebut o_O Muahah maybe the teacher nak dapatkan 'feel' with Orange hair? Ohh best best I dont know dari mana minat ni datang and from where my idea nak belajar languages ni datang. I LIKEE but si pemalas ni selalu malas tu yang susah hehe. My japanese homework dah macam gunung Everest, tak sempat je nak siapkan. isk isk ;_;

Anyway thanks yaa! hehe you girls are the best! sukaa
Old 09-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Animal Lover

[QUOTE=rawr2buny;88183]Ohh meaning the place for TESL foundation ade 3? Say if I have to take the foundation, die bagi tempat randomly ke?[QUOTE]

Yup, tempat akan diberi randomly, but you don't have to worry about that, since you don't have to do foundation. And in UiTM, it is actually called pre degree.

[QUOTE=rawr2buny;88183]And the interview susah tak susah tak? Environment die macam mana? Ramai interviewers? [QUOTE]

Yang ni i takleh nak jawab laa. sebab each panel is different from each other. let me explain in detail what would happen on the interview day. but pls bear in mind that ini pengalaman i yg dulu, sekarang system dia dah berubah ke apa ke, i tatau pulak. ok? first, candidates will gather in a hall to write an essay. the question is given and we have to answer it in one and a half hours (if im not mistaken). the essay (of course) is about issues in education. so you have to keep urself abreast with the current issues ya.

Then, we will be called to the notice board, and on the board there will be the list of names for the interview sessions. The interviewers are the lecturers themselves. During my time, there were 10 panels, with 2 lecturers per panel. All the candidates will be sorted out randomly, dan u kena mengadap satu panel je la, bukan kesemua2 panel tu. Nasiblah, kalau u dapat panel interviewer yang ok, ok laa u. dapat panel yang ada foreign lecturer/lecturers, maybe it will be quite hard for you (tapi sikit je laa kot!). The questions asked and the difficulties of the questions asked depends on the panel that you got. Just equipped urself with knowledge regarding current issues, especially educational current issues. And don't forget too show your PASSION towards teaching and education, ok.

Most importantly, just be yourself and have confidence in your ability. Kalau ada rezeki, dah memang tertulis untuk u yang u akan jadi seorang pendidik satu hari nanti, InsyaAllah Tuhan akan lorongkan u ke jalan yang benar..Amin...
Old 12-15-2010, 11:21 AM
was a cat before

Dear TESLian friends,

do you know any good graduate teachers who have minimum experience of 2 years in teaching pre-school? anddd this person must also be able to conduct a training course for adult class on how to teach pre-school kids. and has STRONG command of english

I need to find these teachers (very lucrative pay for 5 days course). So if you know any, can you please PM me?