Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > PetFinder Lounge > Coffee Room

Coffee Room Gossip on the latest topics or just mingle around and enjoy the atmosphere!

Old 08-31-2010, 02:17 AM
nyan nyan :3

rawr2buny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to rawr2buny
Default Edu: Any TESLians out there? :D

Hi ya, salam all!

What made me think to start this thread? Thanks to Shima's thread: 'Can secondary students be good pet owners?' I've discovered some TESLians (shiima herself, sis syidajaafar & nurkasih) teehee and tak pasal je dah termarathon cerita pasal TESL in that thread. since I am very very interested in this course I am hoping that someone can share with me their experience in TESL :3

Hmm where do I start. Long story short, I am a final year IT student (currently doing her internship, 2 months left). I have always had passion in languages-especially English & Japanese- & I also enjoy teaching. During my final year in high school, I taught several form 3 students maths and I enjoyed it so & too much! X3 But after my SPM, I got kinda lost and I ended up in an IT course; Comp. System, Operations & Mgts. *sigh*

My parents are the type yang bagi bit freedom you-know-better-what's-the-best-for-you-so-do-whatever-you-want-we'll-support-you huhuu.

So, during my 3rd semester, started thinking of changing my course, but it is so not my style to stop halfway, I decided to finish whatever I had started.

My friends told me it is not worth it to change my course, its a waste. But it is not them who'll do all the codings, it is my life and I can never achieve self-actualization if I were to continue in IT field for my degree. 89% of me had decided to change from IT to Edu.

So if there're any TESLians out there, please help me, there are several things yang buat sha jadi macam 50-50:

1) How many years ya TESL ni? Is it too late for me?

2) Is it possible for me to change from IT diploma tu Edu degree? (assuming I wanna continue my studies in IPTA)

3) Was it hard? I mean, do we have to be real fluent in English? Im more like, I can write, read, understand but not talk. Im a bit scared since my vocabs are limited, my english are no better than secondary school's level.

Hehehe pray tell me please, thank you in advance!

Last edited by rawr2buny; 08-31-2010 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:41 AM
~feline attaché

nurkasih is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Edu: Any TESLians out there? :D

Firstly, introducing myself :

Course : B.Ed TESL ( twinning program IPGM with UPSI )
3 years IPGM ( maktab )and 3 years UPSI
Grad in August 2008
Posted at Penang Free School around June 2008

For me No, it is not yet late. Every diploma students will go through their degree and it is not impossible for you to do intra-disciplinary kinda courses. It and English ( education ) are still coherence with each other. As for me, my M.Ed is not TESL anymore..I went for M.Edu Tech as I love computers very much and through self-learning / interest, I merged both interest into 1. ( can't find Computer Applications in Learning and Teaching course in Malaysia). 4 years for normal degree course. 6 years for abnormal course set up by the government

2) Is it possible for me to change from IT diploma tu Edu degree? (assuming I wanna continue my studies in IPTA)

I guess, yes you may. try to apply through the net. Check for UIA, USM, UiTM, UPSi ( not actually recommended heheheh) as your case will be considered as 'saluran kedua'. Instead of using STPM certs, you use diploma cert. Or if you want to go IPTS, my brother is doing his B.Ed TESL in UNISEL. Maybe you want to check them up first. Anyway, or anywhere, if you study with the government scholarships , you will not need to worry of teaching placement later ( as they will post you first ). But for those taking education using PTPTN, there's more interviews and tests to be done before being posted..it will take some time there. Or get into one of the Uni mentioned, try to fight for the Biasiswa Perguruan persekutuan, offered to 2nd year students, with of course excellent results from first semester. The scholarship will determine your assurance of a quicker posting later on. Other wise, there's another ways, just that they are longer

3) Was it hard? I mean, do we have to be real fluent in English? Im more like, I can write, read, understand but not talk. Im a bit scared since my vocabs are limited, my English are no better than secondary school's level.

i started off with reading ( I love reading lots of novels ) and then started to write. Talking came after I was in the course itself, we automatically conversed with each other in English ( as we have variants of races, Malay, Chinese, indians, Sabahan and etc etc) and started dating English speaking Malay guys ( maybe you want to try this out..the best way to master good English..my friend at school has the accent of the American as she is dating an American~~ ) then finally, I am posted to a secondary school with English as the first language. My conclusion is that, during your study days, you will improve ..and you have to improve.. So I guess with all the presentations that will come in, the activities you will be in, the crowd that you will have, the lecturers that you will meet and the reading materials that you will read.. it will mature you in 4 years time.

And..to grad you will need MUET at least Band 3 ( right?) .. but try to take and retake and retake until you get at least Band 5 ( then the school will not downgrade you later, hopefully.. )but looking at your language, Band 5 won't be any problem tho.

And.. having fluent English and teaching the language itself are not 2 similar things.. You will get to know the hardest part. And yes, Literature is a lil bit hard ( I did 2 years foundation studies on that ) but if you love reading, everything will make sense to you..

Sudah letih taip.. berenti kejap

add: if you have money.. check University of Nottingham in Malaysia . They have good TESL courses.

Last edited by nurkasih; 08-31-2010 at 02:52 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:11 AM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima138 View Post
Dah berapa post ni, asyik lari tajuk je

Just nak add...tak payah tunggu grad and masuk sekolah, di Maktab pun ramai orang yang pemikirannya terkebelakang (susahnya nak eja! berapa kali typo :P). Sangat2 backward. Shame on them! Nama saja educators and professionals and education students. I bet they are just jealous we're having so much fun

(Odie tak puas hati mummy dia asyik layan laptop, tak layan dia :P Ooh panjat meja cari botol susu dia rupanya )

Another thing! I'm taking 'Teaching Literature in Primary School' this semester! So far it's my favourite subject (not counting in the workload, of course ) Tido mandi makan, asyik kena fikir pasal lesson plan
itu sudah biasa.. terkebelakang melampau..dulu ingat duduk semeja panjang makan reramai satu kelas pun kena panggil dengan .. bahagian HELWANI ( Hal ehwal wanita ).. apa lagi menjawablah.. I can still remember my words 'mak saya kata, kalau saya tak kacau orang, saya tak peduli orang cakap apa..'..muahahahaha.. surrender terus Ustazah celup ( geng diploma Sains major and minor pendidikan islam ).

Teaching literature in Primary school..kena buat Big Book, kena buat puppets, kena buat yang macam aquarium tue ( apa tah nama ) and story telling masuk sekali.... Fun. tapi dulu I takder lukis-lukis, I lebih pada big 'L' rather than small 'l'.Sebab berfokuskan sekolah menengah.. tapi masuk sekolah, Pengetua tak berani bagi ajar form 6 paper Literature..nak buat camna sempat gak try out 2 hari..
Old 08-31-2010, 03:23 AM
Animal Lover

shima138 is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Edu: Any TESLians out there? :D

TESLian, reporting!

About me:
6th (final) year student - (IPGM Kampus Perempuan Melayu Melaka (wah nama penuh) - IIUM)
Hopefully will get my posting next year around July/August.

I didn't realise you were going to start a new thread on here so I kept on ranting on the other 'unrelated' thread LOL

First of all, I think your English is better than some of us TESLians. Honestly you write so well, even better than some of my friends. I'm not saying I'm good, but I do notice mistakes, my own included.
"Can write in English well" CHECK!

(Had to stop there, Odie kacau adik Becky tido sampai jerit2 si Becky tu..adoi dah bangun pulak...macam baby)

Going back to the topic at hand, I will try to answer your questions the best that I can.

Quote:

3) Was it hard? I mean, do we have to be real fluent in English? Im more like, I can write, read, understand but not talk. Im a bit scared since my vocabs are limited, my english are no better than secondary school's level.

1) I'm doing a twinning degree program (Inst. Perguruan - UIA) and the length is 6 years, which seems to end in no time at all *sniffs* But the program was created when IPG was still called Maktab so they couldn't um award degrees to their graduates, hence the twinning program (we'll be graduating as UIA students).

Currently they've come up with another TESL program (though the name is different..can't remember what it's called) which only takes 5 1/2 years. You'll be studying full-time in the IPG you're sent to. From what I've heard they're using the same modul we're using, just that they won't be going to the attached university seeing that IPGs now can award degrees. For me it's a loss to the students. Being in the university is very rewarding and very different from IPG life I wouldn't want it any other way.

I'm not sure if it's too late hmmm..I applied for the program directly after my SPM, didn't even go to the Matric. Center. I have 2 classmates who are a year older, so I guess there's a chance for you still. Try getting more information on the programs and the requirements. All the best Sha

But that's if you decide to become a civil servant 'lah'. I hope others can shed some light on TESL courses offered in IPTA. Ooh there's also the JPA and MARA scholarship for TESL programs. I applied for MARA and let's just say I didn't make the cut I couldn't speak English well then.

2) Now I'm not too familiar with other courses and how they deal with things in universities so I'll be a bad advisor.
But I do think IT programs and TESL correlate and complement each other. I had a lecturer in UIA who taught us umm what was that subject called...CALL (Computer Assisted Language Learning) in the English classroom. She's a phD holder in that area and was very good at it. So I think having a diploma (is it?) in IT would look good on your resume. They are trying to implement as much as ICT and IT in the school.

3) When I went to the MARA interview 5 years ago I couldn't even utter a complete string of English sentence. Honestly I couldn't. I could write well but even thinking of putting up my hand to give a view in class made my insides churn and I would tremble all over (LOL). Thus it wasn't a surprise that I wasn't accepted.
I have since realised that being good in only one part of the language doesn't make you good enough, especially when you're competing against people who speak and write better than you. You're applying to be a language teacher, you HAVE to be good at that language.
I did pretty well during the B.Ed TESL interview, mainly because the environment was less intimidating. I couldn't see other candidates' serious faces through the clear glass wall like when I was being interviewed for the MARA scholarship

So bottom line, I would say that:

*being able to speak, write, understand English well would really help your chances and also get you through the program in a breeze.

*Read more English books, any genre that you like. It's important to read as it does improve your language.
And to help with speaking and pronouncing English words, read aloud to yourself. I still do that myself You will find that it becomes more natural and easier for you to say English words.

*Speak and ask questions to yourself in English and try to think in English. I know it's not an easy thing to do when that little person in your head has always been speaking in Malay (or Japanese :P). But eventually it will come naturally to you.

I couldn't speak in English well until I was a few years into the program. Presenting in front of the class (oh yes we have lots of presentations) has helped build my confidence and eventually I got better at speaking I still get the jitters now and then when I put my hand up in class to speak, but it's mainly from the excitement of voicing out my opinion

So my dear Sha, I hope that is not too much to read :P I tend to rant on and one when writing Hope that helps, even just a little.

(Just realised that my bed has been taken over by Odie and Putih...)

and last but not least,

SELAMAT MENYAMBUT HARI MERDEKA!

Last edited by shima138; 08-31-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:26 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurkasih View Post
itu sudah biasa.. terkebelakang melampau..dulu ingat duduk semeja panjang makan reramai satu kelas pun kena panggil dengan .. bahagian HELWANI ( Hal ehwal wanita ).. apa lagi menjawablah.. I can still remember my words 'mak saya kata, kalau saya tak kacau orang, saya tak peduli orang cakap apa..'..muahahahaha.. surrender terus Ustazah celup ( geng diploma Sains major and minor pendidikan islam ).

Teaching literature in Primary school..kena buat Big Book, kena buat puppets, kena buat yang macam aquarium tue ( apa tah nama ) and story telling masuk sekali.... Fun. tapi dulu I takder lukis-lukis, I lebih pada big 'L' rather than small 'l'.Sebab berfokuskan sekolah menengah.. tapi masuk sekolah, Pengetua tak berani bagi ajar form 6 paper Literature..nak buat camna sempat gak try out 2 hari..
Ooh I think Kasih Cohort 1, or 2! Saya Cohort 4. IPG mana twinning dengan UPSI ye?
Old 08-31-2010, 03:32 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:

Grad in August 2008

For me No, it is not yet late. Every diploma students will go through their degree and it is not impossible for you to do intra-disciplinary kinda courses. It and English ( education ) are still coherence with each other. As for me, my M.Ed is not TESL anymore..I went for M.Edu Tech as I love computers very much and through self-learning / interest, I merged both interest into 1. ( can't find Computer Applications in Learning and Teaching course in Malaysia). 4 years for normal degree course. 6 years for abnormal course set up by the government

I guess, yes you may. try to apply through the net. Check for UIA, USM, UiTM, UPSi ( not actually recommended heheheh) as your case will be considered as 'saluran kedua'. Instead of using STPM certs, you use diploma cert. Or if you want to go IPTS, my brother is doing his B.Ed TESL in UNISEL. Maybe you want to check them up first. Anyway, or anywhere, if you study with the government scholarships , you will not need to worry of teaching placement later ( as they will post you first ). But for those taking education using PTPTN, there's more interviews and tests to be done before being posted..it will take some time there. Or get into one of the Uni mentioned, try to fight for the Biasiswa Perguruan persekutuan, offered to 2nd year students, with of course excellent results from first semester. The scholarship will determine your assurance of a quicker posting later on. Other wise, there's another ways, just that they are longer

3) Was it hard? I mean, do we have to be real fluent in English? Im more like, I can write, read, understand but not talk. Im a bit scared since my vocabs are limited, my English are no better than secondary school's level.

i started off with reading ( I love reading lots of novels ) and then started to write. Talking came after I was in the course itself, we automatically conversed with each other in English ( as we have variants of races, Malay, Chinese, indians, Sabahan and etc etc) and started dating English speaking Malay guys ( maybe you want to try this out..the best way to master good English..my friend at school has the accent of the American as she is dating an American~~ ) then finally, I am posted to a secondary school with English as the first language. My conclusion is that, during your study days, you will improve ..and you have to improve.. So I guess with all the presentations that will come in, the activities you will be in, the crowd that you will have, the lecturers that you will meet and the reading materials that you will read.. it will mature you in 4 years time.

And..to grad you will need MUET at least Band 3 ( right?) .. but try to take and retake and retake until you get at least Band 5 ( then the school will not downgrade you later, hopefully.. )but looking at your language, Band 5 won't be any problem tho.

And.. having fluent English and teaching the language itself are not 2 similar things.. You will get to know the hardest part. And yes, Literature is a lil bit hard ( I did 2 years foundation studies on that ) but if you love reading, everything will make sense to you..

add: if you have money.. check University of Nottingham in Malaysia . They have good TESL courses.
Where do I find English-speaking Malay guys?! But they don't have to be Malay, you know LOL
Punya la panjang Kasih tulis, part tu je yang dihighlightkan :P Well my IPG is an all-girls institute. But then again, I haven't really met Malay guys who speak English and speak English well, unless they are TESLians themselves.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:52 AM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Ooh I think Kasih Cohort 1, or 2! Saya Cohort 4. IPG mana twinning dengan UPSI ye?
Fisrt baby of twinning program. Cohort 1. IPSAh ~ UPSI. Do not ask me about UPSI here. If you are dying to know, PM me. yang I tahu Cohort 6 ke atas IPSAh dah tak pergi UPSI..diorang ke Melbourne, Australia.. rasanyalah.. until last year government stop sebab tak da fulus.

Quote:
Where do I find English-speaking Malay guys?! But they don't have to be Malay, you know LOL
Punya la panjang Kasih tulis, part tu je yang dihighlightkan :P Well my IPG is an all-girls institute. But then again, I haven't really met Malay guys who speak English and speak English well, unless they are TESLians themselves.
There are my dear. hehehe I tak pernah ever ever date my classmates. They were lie ewww~~ ( after 6 years of knowing them.. when they got married, keep on asking myself..what 'la' the girls see in them ). I cannot say where or when to meet this kinda guy, usually they are the working hard play hard.. they are everywhere.. pilots, engineers, lawyers, seaman, steward etc etc ) , but the hardest part is to find the most 'senonoh' and baik tue yang susah. But then, I never compromised on having good English speaker as my mate and now I am with someone who actually speaks better than me who is of course, not a TESLIAn or anyone in education sector. But do not take my advise tho.. I am a bad example.. I am 26 and not married! yet! my classmates who are not that fussy now married with at least 2 kids.. so make a wiser choice ( lari topic ..muahahah )

And.. twinning ada modul meh?..kenapa tahun I tak pernah nampak modul? dulu sendiri korek, sendiri carik.. tak da modul.. what kind of modul are you talking about?
Old 08-31-2010, 06:57 PM
was a cat before

azmyrax is on a distinguished road

TESLian reporting!!!!!!!!!!

-twinning program IPGM Kampus Bahasa Antarabangsa (2years) & University of Auckland, New Zealand (2 years) trained for secondary school
-grad May 2010
currently a lecturer, Department of Language and Literacy, at English Language Teaching Centre (ELTC), Ministry of Ed since January 2010

No!!!! There are a lot of KPLI (Kursus perguruan lepasan ijazah) students who have been working half of their life and suddenly feel like they dont belong and so they applied for teaching courses and become teachers instead!

Yup!

Aiyo darling you shouldve listened to me when I was in foundation years. I could barely speak English and I can't even write an essay without hundred thousands of grammar mistakes .

Quote:
As for me, my M.Ed is not TESL anymore..I went for M.Edu Tech as I love computers very much and through self-learning / interest, I merged both interest into 1. ( can't find Computer Applications in Learning and Teaching course in Malaysia). 4 years for normal degree course. 6 years for abnormal course set up by the government
sis, I'm currently looking for Master courses. I am interested in few subjects, but not quite sure which one should I go for:
-Children's Literature (but I was trained to be secondary school teacher, and children's literature mostly for primary kids, that means double work for me to familiarise with primary school methodologies)
-I draw a lot, digitally and traditionally, for children's poems and stories - so Im interested in using visual to foster language learning. Can Tech in Education cater for my interest in visual for languages? Or memang ada specific courses on visual for languages?
-i also love to develop lesson materials

which master courses can I go for ye? confused lagi ni
Old 08-31-2010, 07:02 PM
was a cat before

Quote:
Saya redha dengan ketentuan Tuhan
Old 08-31-2010, 08:42 PM
Animal Lover

Unhappy Re: Edu: Any TESLians out there? :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmyrax View Post

-twinning program IPGM Kampus Bahasa Antarabangsa (2years) & University of Auckland, New Zealand (2 years) trained for secondary school
-grad May 2010
currently a lecturer, Department of Language and Literacy, at English Language Teaching Centre (ELTC), Ministry of Ed since January 2010

No!!!! There are a lot of KPLI (Kursus perguruan lepasan ijazah) students who have been working half of their life and suddenly feel like they dont belong and so they applied for teaching courses and become teachers instead!

Yup!

Aiyo darling you shouldve listened to me when I was in foundation years. I could barely speak English and I can't even write an essay without hundred thousands of grammar mistakes .

sis, I'm currently looking for Master courses. I am interested in few subjects, but not quite sure which one should I go for:
-Children's Literature (but I was trained to be secondary school teacher, and children's literature mostly for primary kids, that means double work for me to familiarise with primary school methodologies)
-I draw a lot, digitally and traditionally, for children's poems and stories - so Im interested in using visual to foster language learning. Can Tech in Education cater for my interest in visual for languages? Or memang ada specific courses on visual for languages?

Yay another fellow TESLian!
*shakes hand*

Aww I've always felt just a twinge (who am I kidding?) of jealousy of those people who get to study abroad *sigh* Being (ceremoniously) dumped into the native environment means you have to use the language no matter what and you become good at it.
I like to think that I'm quite a good speaker of the English language but learning the language in a non-native environment doesn't, shall I say, have the same effects on you. It isn't natural

My eldest brother belongs to the last batch of the B.Ed TESL twinning programme (MPIK - UK) before the Gov stopped sending TESL students abroad. Then they stopped the program, and the KDPM Bahasa Inggeris was created, (elder brother enrolled in this) until they decided to continue the B.Ed TESL programme again, this time locally (me)...except the IBA students like sis azmyrax (soooo lucky!).
Old 08-31-2010, 08:46 PM
Animal Lover

Talking Re: Edu: Any TESLians out there? :D

Quote:
Saya redha dengan ketentuan Tuhan

Oooh did you meet a 'mat saleh' when you were in Auckland? LOL
Old 08-31-2010, 08:52 PM
Animal Lover

Question Re: Edu: Any TESLians out there? :D

Quote:

-grad May 2010
You're a lecturer? So you weren't posted to the school?
This is very interesting. Do you mind elaborating?
Old 08-31-2010, 09:10 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
And.. twinning ada modul meh?..kenapa tahun I tak pernah nampak modul? dulu sendiri korek, sendiri carik.. tak da modul.. what kind of modul are you talking about?
Bukan module ape pun Training module. One of the lecturers mentioned that they're using the same TESL module for training the new students.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:17 PM
was a cat before

Quote:
Oooh did you meet a 'mat saleh' when you were in Auckland? LOL
I did.
Pehtu when he came to Malaysia to meet parents, I realized that the differences were just too erm, different. He wanted a tattoo because it's his heritage (Maori) but we cannot have tattoo kan and he couldnt understand why he cant have one. And so many many many other reasons la, mostly religion issues la. But this experience certainly helped my English la, one time I didnt speak Bahasa for 3 months straight

But now I'm happy with a Malay boy who insyaAllah akan membimbing ke jalan yang benar

Quote:
You're a lecturer? So you weren't posted to the school?
This is very interesting. Do you mind elaborating?
I wasn't posted to school. I am the lucky 16 to be chosen to be posted in IPGM for MBI programme. Ive got my posting letter from BPG not from Bahagian Pengurusan Sekolah and then after one week orientation, three of my friends and I was posted to ELTC <----tempat training in-service English teacher, so anytime you come here you can find me, will be glad to help with anything (sisterhood of kucing-kucing) . My other friends were sent to IPGM Dato Razali, IPGM Gaya, IPGM Batu Lintang and IPGM Bahasa Antarabangsa.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:

Grad in August 2008

WHOAA thank youuuu TESLian seniorss! YAY! thanks sis, hehe sampai penat type tu *hugglomps* before, sha tried asking in a random education forum before tapi aaa, habuk pun tak lalu dekat thread tu.

I see so its 4years+ ya? hehee cool. I did read your recommendations on laptops in Tech & Comps, hebatt. me, an IT student pun a bit jahil on computer stuffs. I am very interested in IT related things but jadi end user is wayy better (this is what I thought after 2 years in CSOM course mwahaha). I cant stand codings, it makes me sick and lazy. I can survive in pens & papers world tapi sekarang ni internship, everytime I got assigned to a new task i go @_@ & *gulp gulp* je. tragis betul

I am targetting either UIA or UITM. If possible I dont wanna go anywhere far (gila mengada, but this has always been the reason why I dont wanna go for asrama since form 3: my cats) Aahaa, diploma cert eh? Then, I hope I'll score well on my internship and berjaya menaikkan pointer demi masa depan yang cerah isk isk. Ohhh, my friend baru je masuk UNISEL few months ago, doing TESL, tu lagi sorang from account changed to TESL. But I bet the study fees in UNISEL would be veryyy expensive? takut pulak nak PTPTN ni, for now I got loan from MARA. Alright, noted, will go googling more info on Biasiswa Perguruan Persekutuan!

Aaa Okay that makes me a lil happy. Apart from having fun learning something I like & love, I wanna improve my english too but I once read in one forum, a TESL senior cakap 'you must be good in english, if you choose TESL thinking to be fluent in english, to learn english, then you're wrong. TESL is a course to polish your english teaching skills notteaching you english blablabla etcetcetc'. Terus takut! Yes I have to agree reading helps. My english started to improve when I was in form 2. I suddenly got so addicted with Harry Potter and few other series, marathoned all the books non stop, started writing my blog entries in english and terus nampak kesan dia, jarang sekali dapat A and I managed to get constant As for english from that point. (BM pulak yang jadi susah lepas tu, cis!). Hmm environment factor is important..ya kan, like my ol primary schoolmate, he hated english so much, suddenly his family got transferred to Jeddah, went to international school and now dia speaking FUHH, sampai BM tak betul ^^; Whoa super cool, dating an English speaking guy? Waa kagum and respect la if a guy can speak fluently, hehe tapi susah nak cari. Sounds fun, but i'll keep this in my future plans lah, sekarang malas la pulak HAHA! *gets smacked* My mom she doesnt speaks English herself and yet she told me 'Kau ni try la speaking selalu dengan kawan, practice makes perfect. Kau ni kena campak dekat negara mat salleh kot baru boleh'. Hehe I dont have confidence in talking tapi bila presentation miraculously I can talk, a bit, desperate kot. hehe.

Err my current course tak perlu MUET, since in semester 1-3 we got our english subject yang serupa macam MUET. Ugh, meaning to say that before I apply for my degree I'll have to take MUET on my own la kan? SCAARYYYY And I have heard that for MUET's speaking/oral test (whatever they call it XD) they usually ask about current issues ya? Gosh, I havent watched tv this year kot. Hehe, kurang betul iilmu. I seriously need to buy & read the Star la from now.

Un, I guess I can somehow understand that since I have seen many excellent people yang hebat in certain subjects but when it comes to presentation or teaching, they had a hard time nak sampaikan the points to the students. I guess if I myself yang nak tukar course, then I will have to face all the ups & downs right? scary but exciting! ^^;

Hehe I love literatures back then in school, tapi mesti literature for TESL wayyy harder kan 8D; *gulp* Yes I love reading especially fantasy novels. I am now trying to finish up Pride & Prejudice hahaha dah terbelit otak, need concentration baru boleh paham all the lines.

Oh oh! And are there any interviews? I have heard somewere, someone mentioned about some kind of interview before dapat TESL ni. *gulp*

Ohh University of Nottingham in Malaysia? hee will check that out as well. but speaking of money, boleh usahakan but having a scholarship/loan would be a great help because I definitely wanna save money for future use.. and also untuk jadi seorang rescuer insyaAllah muahaha
~feline attaché

Quote:

First of all, raw2bunny cannot apply for KPLI ( kursus perguruan lepasan ijazah ) because to apply for KPLI, you need a degree of any courses. Might as well she continues with TESL for her degree itself.

Visual design + Language teaching or methods used in teaching, we call it Instructional Design right? They have this CALL ( as mentioned of one) specifically using computer to teach English..last time I check only universities in UK offer this course. One of my previous classmates enrolled in UM for M.Educational Technology also. He basically using programming in developing computer assisted teaching, and now currently he is a tutor ( yet to become a lecturer ) in UPSI. On my part, I have taken part time, fully thesis writing course, M.Educational Technology, where I chose to let say bring new invention into classroom ( e.g ipad / android tablet pc ).

And why do you want to go for children literature? Young adult literature being left untouched? The methodology will be a lil bit different yet, my lecturer always say..'there's a child in everyone'. Young adult will also be attracted to colours, cartoons, animations and etc etc. That's the reason why the government put in Black Beauty's Graphic Novel for the new literature circle for secondary students. As for me, my interest is mainly Young Adult literature as this section of literature is not yet fully researched.

Quote:
I did.
Pehtu when he came to Malaysia to meet parents, I realized that the differences were just too erm, different. He wanted a tattoo because it's his heritage (Maori) but we cannot have tattoo kan and he couldnt understand why he cant have one. And so many many many other reasons la, mostly religion issues la. But this experience certainly helped my English la, one time I didnt speak Bahasa for 3 months straight

But now I'm happy with a Malay boy who insyaAllah akan membimbing ke jalan yang benar

I wasn't posted to school. I am the lucky 16 to be chosen to be posted in IPGM for MBI programme. Ive got my posting letter from BPG not from Bahagian Pengurusan Sekolah and then after one week orientation, three of my friends and I was posted to ELTC <----tempat training in-service English teacher, so anytime you come here you can find me, will be glad to help with anything (sisterhood of kucing-kucing) . My other friends were sent to IPGM Dato Razali, IPGM Gaya, IPGM Batu Lintang and IPGM Bahasa Antarabangsa.
Not all my friends from my batch were posted to schools.. Some end up being as tutors in universities and some end up in matriculations as tutors as well. Criteria of choosing, no idea as we of the same batch, knows who was better than who..but I guess it's random pick as we were the very first batch. I am stuck in school for at least another 2 years, then praying to get out for good. I am losing my literature touch here

Quote:
TESLian, reporting!

About me:
6th (final) year student - (IPGM Kampus Perempuan Melayu Melaka (wah nama penuh) - IIUM)
Hopefully will get my posting next year around July/August.

I didn't realise you were going to start a new thread on here so I kept on ranting on the other 'unrelated' thread LOL

First of all, I think your English is better than some of us TESLians. Honestly you write so well, even better than some of my friends. I'm not saying I'm good, but I do notice mistakes, my own included.
"Can write in English well" CHECK!

(Had to stop there, Odie kacau adik Becky tido sampai jerit2 si Becky tu..adoi dah bangun pulak...macam baby)

Going back to the topic at hand, I will try to answer your questions the best that I can.

1) I'm doing a twinning degree program (Inst. Perguruan - UIA) and the length is 6 years, which seems to end in no time at all *sniffs* But the program was created when IPG was still called Maktab so they couldn't um award degrees to their graduates, hence the twinning program (we'll be graduating as UIA students).

Currently they've come up with another TESL program (though the name is different..can't remember what it's called) which only takes 5 1/2 years. You'll be studying full-time in the IPG you're sent to. From what I've heard they're using the same modul we're using, just that they won't be going to the attached university seeing that IPGs now can award degrees. For me it's a loss to the students. Being in the university is very rewarding and very different from IPG life I wouldn't want it any other way.

I'm not sure if it's too late hmmm..I applied for the program directly after my SPM, didn't even go to the Matric. Center. I have 2 classmates who are a year older, so I guess there's a chance for you still. Try getting more information on the programs and the requirements. All the best Sha

But that's if you decide to become a civil servant 'lah'. I hope others can shed some light on TESL courses offered in IPTA. Ooh there's also the JPA and MARA scholarship for TESL programs. I applied for MARA and let's just say I didn't make the cut I couldn't speak English well then.

2) Now I'm not too familiar with other courses and how they deal with things in universities so I'll be a bad advisor.
But I do think IT programs and TESL correlate and complement each other. I had a lecturer in UIA who taught us umm what was that subject called...CALL (Computer Assisted Language Learning) in the English classroom. She's a phD holder in that area and was very good at it. So I think having a diploma (is it?) in IT would look good on your resume. They are trying to implement as much as ICT and IT in the school.

3) When I went to the MARA interview 5 years ago I couldn't even utter a complete string of English sentence. Honestly I couldn't. I could write well but even thinking of putting up my hand to give a view in class made my insides churn and I would tremble all over (LOL). Thus it wasn't a surprise that I wasn't accepted.
I have since realised that being good in only one part of the language doesn't make you good enough, especially when you're competing against people who speak and write better than you. You're applying to be a language teacher, you HAVE to be good at that language.
I did pretty well during the B.Ed TESL interview, mainly because the environment was less intimidating. I couldn't see other candidates' serious faces through the clear glass wall like when I was being interviewed for the MARA scholarship

So bottom line, I would say that:

*being able to speak, write, understand English well would really help your chances and also get you through the program in a breeze.

*Read more English books, any genre that you like. It's important to read as it does improve your language.
And to help with speaking and pronouncing English words, read aloud to yourself. I still do that myself You will find that it becomes more natural and easier for you to say English words.

*Speak and ask questions to yourself in English and try to think in English. I know it's not an easy thing to do when that little person in your head has always been speaking in Malay (or Japanese :P). But eventually it will come naturally to you.

I couldn't speak in English well until I was a few years into the program. Presenting in front of the class (oh yes we have lots of presentations) has helped build my confidence and eventually I got better at speaking I still get the jitters now and then when I put my hand up in class to speak, but it's mainly from the excitement of voicing out my opinion

So my dear Sha, I hope that is not too much to read :P I tend to rant on and one when writing Hope that helps, even just a little.

(Just realised that my bed has been taken over by Odie and Putih...)

and last but not least,

SELAMAT MENYAMBUT HARI MERDEKA!
Ola TESLians! sorry, went MIA today. went to Kinokuniya; book shopping (hantu buku)

WHOAA shimaaa, final year student? BESTTT T_______________T Next year's August baru je Sha convo. tsk tsk. XD But, umm my diploma will end this 29th october, which means, I have got like almost a year before my convo, Sha can terus apply and study dulu if there's any intakes kan? O_O

Aaa thank you huhu I wish I can be better, tulis ayat simple-simple boleh but nak guna nice, good and strong vocabs tu memang tak tercapai lagi ^^; but seriously looking at some of my friend's blogs i feel super inferior.*blushes*

hehe mengacau ye dak kecik tu *squishes the furkids*

Hoo 6 years O_O; Meaning to say, it differs from place to place? some said it took only 4 years, some 6 years 8D; Yep yep i guess after I finished my Dip. I should try asking and survey the Universities myself and ask them directly for the requirements semua. Hopefully it wont be a problem. SUMPAH TAK NAK CODINGS DAH! I tried checking the websites but it doesnt help much. gahh~ seriously, update and make it more user friendly wahai Univ sekalian T_T

Aaa *pats* Uuu MARA scholarship.. was it hard? Ada interview ya? Hmm I am thinking of applying MARA's scholarship for my degree tapi alamak macam takut je *GULP*

Huu I hate myself when the lines are all ready inside my head but when I talk, terus gagap or even worse I mispronounced the words isk isk. And I can be a bit 'pelat' at times, every words that starts with 'S' jadi 'SH', makes it 2 times harder to pronounce some english words . I once did a presentation infront of the class and go 'Sho today bla3'. lucky only 1 person realized and punya la dia bantai gelak! 8D CIS! Hehehe.

Ohh so B.Ed TESL ade interview? :3 Selalunye die tanya ape ye? *sigh* never been to any interviews before, seems scary T_____T

Hee thank you Shima for the tips! :)

* Yeah, I will try read more & MOREE books and and YESS I used to do that quite OFTEN to practice my pronounciation, its a bit tiring to read aloud but oh well, its for my own good kan. Ahh, speaking of books, do you have any recommendations? teheee. Speak/ask/think in English, gosh, yeah so true its hard. And now I got all mixed up with my Japanese lessons, converting malay-english, japanese-english, english-japanese. my mind is already a BIG MESS XD; But will definitely practice it after this!

Heehee that is why, sometimes I feel like, Oh God, just campak me in English speaking crowds/environment lah senang. Or I will continue lalala-ing in my safe zone, having no initiative to speak in English, lacking of confidence. Isk isk. For now, I only practice my english via forums & blogs.

Nope, I HAD FUN READING! And I love reading English posts. Mwahaha excuse me for my Manglish, my brain is tiredd today die malas nak think in english *smacks head* And chillax, I always ended up writing never-ending-essays all the time, seriously someone needs to tell and teach me how to stop!

and yes, SELAMAT HARI MERDEKAA \(^0^)/
Old 08-31-2010, 11:00 PM

Sorry for my multiple posts. panjangggsangat post nye 8D

Quote:

-grad May 2010

Yup!

WHEW, banyak rupanya TESLians dekat sini *waves* hi there mira! XD welcomee~ o_O7

KPLI ya.. where have I heard of that before.. So usually KPLI ni dekat maktab or something ye? o_O Err what's the difference eh? So basically we can apply TESL in IPG or local Uni?

Ehhh, seriously? '.. could barely speak english?' aaaa cant imagine that. hehe. seriously looking at how you girls wrote your posts, memang BEST. I guess practice makes perfect eh? :D Huu, the last time I wrote any essays/report was during my 3rd semester. My vocabs and grammars are getting worst Seriously need to read more, watch more english materials. *sighh*

Thank you mira! hehe, so happy to see all the replies, learnt so many things and now I feel so excited I cant wait to change to TESL. :3 InsyaAllah will be joining you seniors teaching in few years time!

Btw, menyibuk, Mira can draw? BESTNYAA, ni yang teringin nak belajar dengan seniors dekat sini ni *nudges* XD
Old 08-31-2010, 11:11 PM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawr2buny View Post
I did read your recommendations on laptops in Tech & Comps, hebatt.

And I have heard that for MUET's speaking/oral test (whatever they call it XD) they usually ask about current issues ya? Gosh, I havent watched tv this year kot. Hehe, kurang betul iilmu. I seriously need to buy & read the Star la from now.

oh oh! And are there any interviews? I have heard somewere, someone mentioned about some kind of interview before dapat TESL ni. *gulp*
My insight of laptops and hands on new tech gadgets,that a big thank to my other half yang selalu dapat pree mende-mende baru especially Apple untuk research dan I pun dengan bestnya try semua.. Sebelum jadi pandai jaga laptop, dah 3 biji laptop mampus sebelum yang nie tak sangkut langsung

MUET tak susahlah.. kalau you pergi calon bebas ( cam mengundi pulak ) mesti yang datang tue kebanyakkanya lagi kurang dari you. So, you ulas sikit, pastue tuju conversation pada orang lain. jangan monopoli sensorang, buat macam ala-ala forum, tanya soalan bagi semua dalam group you bercakap. Confirm dapat tinggi.

Interview yang I ingat masa zaman purba dulu. tahun sebelum I masuk TESL..i kena ujian INSAk dan juga interview dengan lecturer maktab..they asked q's like.. why do you want to be a teacher..why this why that.. semua logic .. nothing to worry tho..
Old 08-31-2010, 11:30 PM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Bukan module ape pun Training module. One of the lecturers mentioned that they're using the same TESL module for training the new students.
baru perasan post nie..

ingatkan module macam OUM punya.. rigid betul.. semua ada nota seketol.. exam pun keluar sama..