Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Rescuers & Fosterers

Rescuers & Fosterers For rescuers and fosterers, the true heroes of PetFinder.my

Old 06-26-2009, 03:56 PM
PetFinder Guru

Simon is on a distinguished road
Default A happy go lucky three legged stray in need of a loving home?

For the past three weeks I've been out walking Stripey late at night, and I've noticed a number of stray dogs in the area, but one in particular really broke my heart. He is a medium dog, golden with black patches, and looks quite a happy go lucky type of doggie...

but...

his right rear leg is missing, he gets around well enough on his three legs, but my heart really goes out to him, I tried feeding him some dog biscuits, but he didn't seem interested in those and hopped off, he wouldn't let me approach him, so we ended up standing looking at each other from a few metres...

Thing is, he doesn't look like he needs any help, and he seems happy enough on the street, but when I see him my heart breaks, I would like to help him, so what can I do? Any suggestions?
Old 06-26-2009, 04:00 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A happy go lucky three legged stray in need of a loving home?

feeding him was the right move but maybe dog biscuits don't smell yummy enough to really get his attention.. try feeding him some wet canned dog food or cooked meat?
i think if you do this everytime you see him, he'll eventually associate you with food and begin to trust you. then perhaps you can try to take him home
Old 06-26-2009, 04:26 PM
PetFinder Guru

That's a nice idea, I will try with a can of wet food... I wouldn't mind fostering him while I find him a loving home, but I am really, really at my limit with four cats and Stripey!

Do you think Furry friends farm would consider taking him in?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:02 AM
PetFinder Guru

i don't think there's any harm asking them.. why not give it a shot? after all, FFF is a sanctuary. i think you just have to provide the funds for the dog's care. if you can't keep this pooch permanently, FFF may be your best bet. it can pretty hard to find adopters for mongrels, let alone tripod ones.. i'm afraid that's a sad fact of life.

i've been fostering a tripod dog for almost 3 months and no one has adopted her.. not even after uploading her profile here, putting up posters in veterinary clinics and a church, and not even after an article was written about her in the star newspaper!!

you may be your tripod dogs only hope!! good luck!!!
Old 06-29-2009, 02:25 PM
PetFinder Guru

Thanks Lynie! I think that's a good plan!

Hopefully he will let me help him, I need to gain his trust first, he's still not approachable, so I guess that will take time... hopefully I can get him to the vets to get fixed up, and then will contact FFF!

On Saturday night, while I was out coaxing this doggie, a pack of 25 dogs skittles past! They managed to find the food that I put down too! Not all of the dogs looked like mongrels though, some looked more like one time family pets that had been "let go"

But they all seemed very friendly and happy!

Good luck with your tripod doggie too!

Last edited by Simon; 06-29-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:31 AM
PetFinder Guru

TWENTY-FIVE DOGS!!!

ok that's kind of a huge pack.. i've never seen such a big one before in my life.. i guess they're fine as long as they're together? dogs are pack animals after all and they love having each other for company (except for MY dogs); i don't feel too horribly sad for dogs in packs.. the ones that break my heart are the ones that are all alone. a lonely dog is a sad dog.

is your tripod a member of the pack you speak of? i read on the net that in groups of dogs, the strong ones will often be protective over the ones that are disabled.. of course, there are also cases where the strong ones bully the disabled.. i suppose it depends on how well the pack is doing as a whole; whether they have enough food or not. how is your tripod treated in his pack? i'm curious because my own two dogs seem to feel no pity for molly my tripod. i was disappointed coz i was hoping they'd be more like what i read on the net..

anyway, just a friendly reminder, best to be careful when approaching a pack of 25 dogs!!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 10:21 AM
PetFinder Guru

I was out again last night, it took a while before my three legged doggy came along, I was walking around a bit to try and find him, and saw more packs of dogs, they seemed quite happy, in a way it was quite warming to see that most of their tales were all a wagging! From what I've seen so far, I would say that there are around 50 to 60 stray dogs in this area, probably more... I don't know if that is typical, some of them would start barking when they saw me approach from a distance, but most seemed to be, shy, weary, and looking relatively happy, although also muddy, and I am sure in need of warm loving bath and home!

Another thing I saw, an owner of a shop lot locks his two dogs in a tiny, tiny cage at night, not sure if that is where they stay during the day too, I really hope not...

Back to my three legged doggy! I managed to feed him last night! He watched me put the canned food down, then I retreated quickly, he cautiously approached and ate the lot! I put some more down, he ate a bit and then hopped off, I guess he was not so hungry, which is good!

I've only seen this dog alone, the other dogs don't bother him either, will go out again tonight to feed!

Will contact Sabrina to enquire about FFF too! Hope this doggy can have a happy life there!

It's a nice thought that the other doggies will protect the weaker ones, but I know, unfortunately, the opposite can be true as well... like you said, a lot can depend on how much competition there is for resources, like food, at least here, food seems to be abundant, if not warm loving hearts to care for these strays, dogs and cats alike...
Old 06-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Such a huge pack of dogs? Oh dear, it won't be long before the dog catchers/shooters come for them. Dogs behave differently when they are alone, but when they are in a pack, they can start behaving very differently and can be dangerous, according to gifted animal scientist Temple Grandin. It is going to catch the attention of someone soon who will definitely call in the town council.

Very often, large numbers of dogs get thrown out or left behind to fend for themselves when plantations/factories/warehouses move/close down. Being pack animals, very often groups join up to form larger packs.

Anyway, unless something is done fast, I think these dogs face a very sad and bleak future, especially the handicap 3-legged one ...
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies

Last edited by FurKids; 06-30-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:17 PM
PetFinder Guru

Well, it did cross my mind that my late night actions might draw unwanted attention to these doggies, I'm hardly what you would call inconspicuous!

Anyway, I think so far these dogs have kept themselves to themselves, they don't bother people, and people don't seem to bother them, or to care either way, so lets hope this buys them time to live a comparatively happy life... but in the meantime they will be breading... ...

I really hope I can get the three legged dog to the vets and looked after by FFF! He really is a very lovely doggie!
Old 06-30-2009, 05:22 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

Simon,
Sound glad to heard that you rescue handicap dog. You might asking help for Langkawi Animal Shelter and Sanctuary Foundation
http://www.langkawilassie.org.my/aboutus.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Well, it did cross my mind that my late night actions might draw unwanted attention to these doggies, I'm hardly what you would call inconspicuous!

Anyway, I think so far these dogs have kept themselves to themselves, they don't bother people, and people don't seem to bother them, or to care either way, so lets hope this buys them time to live a comparatively happy life... but in the meantime they will be breading... ...

I really hope I can get the three legged dog to the vets and looked after by FFF! He really is a very lovely doggie!

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:34 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hi Clement,

I'm in the process of rescuing, hopefully this will turn into a successful rescue! And hopefully in the next few weeks!

Thanks for the Lankawi Lassi link that could come in useful after he's at FFF, I still need to contact FFF, perhaps they could help speed up the rescue?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:17 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

Simon,
That is glad to heard that, I wishing we can do something to this homeless animals, do you have Sabrina mobile phone number, if you need, let me know. I PM to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Hi Clement,

I'm in the process of rescuing, hopefully this will turn into a successful rescue! And hopefully in the next few weeks!

Thanks for the Lankawi Lassi link that could come in useful after he's at FFF, I still need to contact FFF, perhaps they could help speed up the rescue?

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.