Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Reviews, Notices & Stories > Hall of Shame

Hall of Shame There are lots of cruel and inconsiderate people out there. Expose their cruel deeds to the world and let them be shamed!

Old 08-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Animal Lover

comyncats is on a distinguished road
Default Pet shops and traders - cash crop!

I am absolutely disgusted (as ever!) with some of the ads I've just seen but this time, on this forum - cats and kittens advertised as 'breeds' to which they bear no resemblance; some seemingly very unhealthy - and offered at prices which should purchase a healthy kitten from a legitimate, SMALL breeder. It's not the fault of this forum, but can't the culture of 'cat farms' somehow be diminished?

One which particularly horrified me was the cat 'fosterer' advertising all sorts of kittens for sale and preferring to 'foster' youngsters.

On Monday afternoon in KL, I quickly stepped into a pet shop in Chinatown where I saw a variety of kittens of alleged breeds cooped up in small cages, many in what I consider to be bad (unhealthy) condition, various with fungal lesions and many with skeletal faults of the head. WHO is supplying these?

Cats aren't a commodity like a vacuum cleaner - at least, in my view. And I know there are many true cat lovers in Malaysia, but how can those who rub two cats together to produce a cash crop be stopped??????????????????
Old 08-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Animal Lover

comyncats is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pet shops and traders - cash crop!

Just to clarify - I didn't open this thread in "Hall of Shame" - it's more a welfare matter, I suspect. I guess admin thought this is where it belongs and maybe it does, but I didn't wish to indulge in 'shock, horror' scandal - just debate which might help enlighten and thereby help the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comyncats View Post
I am absolutely disgusted (as ever!) with some of the ads I've just seen but this time, on this forum - cats and kittens advertised as 'breeds' to which they bear no resemblance; some seemingly very unhealthy - and offered at prices which should purchase a healthy kitten from a legitimate, SMALL breeder. It's not the fault of this forum, but can't the culture of 'cat farms' somehow be diminished?

One which particularly horrified me was the cat 'fosterer' advertising all sorts of kittens for sale and preferring to 'foster' youngsters.

On Monday afternoon in KL, I quickly stepped into a pet shop in Chinatown where I saw a variety of kittens of alleged breeds cooped up in small cages, many in what I consider to be bad (unhealthy) condition, various with fungal lesions and many with skeletal faults of the head. WHO is supplying these?

Cats aren't a commodity like a vacuum cleaner - at least, in my view. And I know there are many true cat lovers in Malaysia, but how can those who rub two cats together to produce a cash crop be stopped??????????????????
Old 08-12-2010, 03:33 PM
PetFinder Guru

Felix The Cat is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Yes, indeed it is a very SAD fact that this is going on. Infact not only in pet shops but on online buying and selling websites such as Mudah.com and Adpost.

Many people put up advertisement selling cats and kittens and claimed that they are of predigree breeds such as bengal (just because they are stripped or spotted like a bengal) when they are only just a common cat. Some even advertise their cats as Persians or Mix Persians when clearly the cats are not. These people are just out to make a fast buck in cheating people.

Some even buy cats at very cheap prices or even adopt cats for free but then because of their greed for MONEY they will sell the cats at riduculous high prices.

There is no way of stopping these people unless the buying stops but then again will the buying stop?

Felix The Cat - Dee wonderful wonderful cat!
http://felixthecats.weebly.com
http://livinginmyworld-phyllis.blogspot.com/
Old 08-12-2010, 04:40 PM
PetFinder Guru

oni hatamah is on a distinguished road

You are right Nurul

WHEN THERE IS A BUYER THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A SELLER .
Old 08-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Gentle Giant

Coony is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Hi Lesley,

This is definitely not getting any easier & it is truly an up hill struggle. To make matter worse we have cat clubs with their president & committee who are the very BYB in this country. How can these cat farms culture diminish when you had these very ppl representing the cat fancy & mentoring their members to continue this culture.

If you think the condition of the kittens in Chinatown pet shop is bad, then you shud visit Ismail (president of MCFA) pet shop & tell me if it is any better.

Best Maine Coon Cattery in CFA ID Asia/LA since 2004
The only Maine Coon cattery with 3 DM, 3 Top Ten MCO National & produce the most GC/GP (30) & DW (12) in CFA ID Asia/LA
Old 08-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Animal Lover

Melocy is on a distinguished road

Yes, agreed with coony,

Ms Lesley, If you take a look at Mr Ismail pet shop I think its no different with the pet shop at Chinatown that you view.

But now this person who is representative for Cat Fancy yet practice a kitten mill by caged his cats everyday.

Just based on my experience during my visit there.

Thank

Last edited by Melocy; 08-13-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:22 AM
Animal Lover

kacak is on a distinguished road

Betul tu semua sebab duit.... breeder kecil kecilan ke besar besaran , ada registerd ke yg takde registerd ke semua sama je cuma duit... Yg membezakan cara penjagaan kucing kucing nie....syarat syarat semasa pembelian, di kembirikan ( kucing pun ingin bersama pasangan dan keterunan,berkemampuan ketidak,pandai jaga ke tidak,dan mcm mcm lagi....Semua ni lakon layar mereka sahaja. Yg membezakan cuma pandangan pertama ketika kita dtg ketempat mereka dan kucing yg di pamerkan..
Jadi fikir fikirkan la yg mana elok dan betul,
Yg penting bagaimana kita menjaga dan menguruskan kucing kesayangan kita

Last edited by kacak; 08-14-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Animal Lover

grrrrrrrk is on a distinguished road

So how we consider a breeder that sell his kitten at his pet shop which look like a kitten mill.

For example, if someone buy kitten from Imakatz or Ismail who is also a breeder that breed Bengal, MC, Burmese, HHP and etc. The question is, the buyer buy from a pet shop or from a breeder?

Because when we ask, of course he will said that all of his his cats registered as pedigree, but when we look at the shop, even pedigree and HHP are breed inside caged all of the time.

So do we call this a ethical breeder or pet shop? Just give a scenario here.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Gentle Giant

Coony is on a distinguished road

Use your judgment; I wouldn’t say the pets shop owner cum breeder is wrong to sell their breeding from their pet shop but I wouldn’t do it for various reasons. Becoz I need to deal with the potential buyer personally & not through any staff of mine, I need more detail of that person & normally I let time tell & it is high risk to display your kittens or cats in the pet shop whereby ppl will try to touch them & high possibility of bacteria or virus pick up from your shop visitor. So! How can I go about interviewing every buyer who is interested in my cat when I had a retail shop to run?

From the description of Imakatz or Imadi Pet Shop & my knowledge of this person I would consider him an unethical breeder with a pet shop.

Best Maine Coon Cattery in CFA ID Asia/LA since 2004
The only Maine Coon cattery with 3 DM, 3 Top Ten MCO National & produce the most GC/GP (30) & DW (12) in CFA ID Asia/LA
Old 08-19-2010, 12:07 AM
Animal Lover

kacak is on a distinguished road

Betul tu kita bukan mencari salah sesiapa pun...bredeer kecil kecilan ke , besar besaran ke,registerd ke , yg tak registerd ke... Apa yg penting cara penjagaan , belaian , perhatian dan siapa yg mampu beli.....Dr segi harga jika beribu pasti kita tahu golongan yg mana mampu beli, harga dlm ratusan kita tahu golongan siapa yg beli... petshop dan breeder mereka mempunyai target marketing mereka sendiri...yg ada cert harga beribu.. takde cert ratusan sahaja. Jadi keadaan kucing nie sebenarnye di tentukan oleh pemilik petshop dan breeder. tentang cage mill , saya rasa semua kucing akan dikurung utk proses pembiakkan. Kucing betina nie selepas 2 bulan stgah selepas melahirkan anak akan megawan kembali.....mcm kucing terbiar pun sama jgk. bezanye kucing terbiar hidup bebas,sentiasa melahirkan anak dimana saja.
Bagi saya ini semua bergantung kepada petshop @ breeder @ pemilik kucing...petshop = berniaga untuk hidup, breeder = berniaga utk hidup, pemilik kucing = lagi mahal kucing ( melambangkan status )......anak nak kucing la,minat,dll........