Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 12-22-2016, 08:26 AM
Animal Lover

Acanthi is on a distinguished road
Smile Need advice for wannabe dog owner

Hi guys! I'm so glad I found this forum! I need some advice...

Background:
I want to adopt a dog, but I'm currently renting a room in a house so there's not much space and I need to move. I'm working in Bukit Jalil so I'll probably be moving to that area. But I cannot afford to rent a place above RM1,000 per month. I'm looking to become a landlord and rent out a room to help with the expenses.

Questions:
1. Are there any condos or apartments in the Bukit Jalil area that allows dogs?
2. I only work til 12 noon so I have time for a dog, but will he be lonely at home without me? Is it ok to lock him in the apartment until I come home or should I let him out to roam?
3. I love big breeds, but would smaller breeds be better for apartment life? Is anyone here rearing a big dog in an apartment?

Am I missing anything else you guys think might be important before I change my lifestyle and get a dog? Any advice will be helpful!! Especially from anyone who made a similar change.

Thanks!!
Old 12-23-2016, 10:22 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need advice for wannabe dog owner

Hi, Acanthi --

A couple of thoughts, and please take them as constructive suggestions rather than criticism...

You mention that your maximum rent is RM1,000 per month, which suggests that your budget is somewhat limited. You also mention that you would prefer a big dog to a smaller one. Please remember that dogs cannot live on love alone. We humans can survive on a diet of white rice and kangkong, but we will not be healthy. Likewise, buying the least expensive dog food will keep your dog alive, but it is not going to be a complete or balanced diet. A large dog eats more than a small dog. In addition, you also need to budget for regular visits to the vet clinic. Your dog should see a vet once a year for routine checkups, and he or she will need to go whenever ill or injured. My advice? Before you consider adopting any dog of any size, do some realistic budgeting and be sure you can give your beloved dog a good, healthy life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acanthi View Post
should I let him out to roam?
Only if you want him to be hit by cars, abused by dog-hating neighbours, captured and/or killed by municipal dog-catchers, or mauled in fights with other free-roaming dogs. In short, NO.

In terms of finding a dog that can live happily in an apartment, the question is not the size of the dog but rather the activity level. I would recommend talking carefully with the people from whom you would adopt a dog. Be honest about your circumstances, because in the end, you want to find a good fit for both you and the prospective dog. Consider things like the age of the dog and whether the dog has lived in an apartment before.

Also, as you're a first-time adopter, choose carefully from whom you adopt your dog. Will that person help you get the dog settled in your place? Will they answer questions? Will they take the dog back if it doesn't turn out well? Someone who truly cares for the dog's welfare will do these things. Be wary of people who seem like they are desperate to dump a dog on you. Again, both of you should be communicating with the welfare of the dog as your primary concern.

Good luck!