Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > PetFinder Lounge > Coffee Room

Coffee Room Gossip on the latest topics or just mingle around and enjoy the atmosphere!

Old 10-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Pet Epicurean

aliciahorsley is on a distinguished road
Default Muslims Handling Swine and Canines

This is an interesting read. Click on the link if you are interested in the point of view of a vet who handles both pigs and dogs.
Our pets eat PINK raw food
Old 10-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Animal Lover

Ferreted is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Muslims Handling Swine and Canines

aahahaa.. there are strong points too there.. thats why we need to know our religion(s) inside.. then to the outside.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:14 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

hi forummers,
umm.. the article isn't in english.. can someone tell me what it generally says?
Old 10-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Animal Lover

woohoo!!! i read melayu better than someone here!!! finally.. YOOHOO.. ehm i cant write much while working.. only have time for unimportant comments.. sorry lynie.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:55 PM
PetFinder Guru

hmph!!! i'm glad you're happy
Old 10-06-2008, 03:38 PM
PetFinder Guru

somebunny is on a distinguished road

OK, I will attempt to translate, lol! BM kinda rusty..

Basically there were pics circulating on the internet concerning a vet student at UPM handling pigs and dogs. Presumably, the person in the pic is Muslim, and some people are of the opinion that this makes a mockery of or insults the religion.

The author's point is that Muslims are not suppose to eat the meat of dogs & pigs, but touching them is fine. Further, as vets, they should uphold their oath to ensure the comfort/health of ALL animals. If a Muslim touches a pig/dog, it's fine as long as he/she washes with water & a certain type of soil after touching the animal.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:47 PM
PetFinder Guru

ahhhh i see!! thank you very much somebunny!! sounds like a very enlightening article
Old 10-06-2008, 05:06 PM
PetFinder Guru

filinlee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebunny View Post
OK, I will attempt to translate, lol! BM kinda rusty..

Basically there were pics circulating on the internet concerning a vet student at UPM handling pigs and dogs. Presumably, the person in the pic is Muslim, and some people are of the opinion that this makes a mockery of or insults the religion.

The author's point is that Muslims are not suppose to eat the meat of dogs & pigs, but touching them is fine. Further, as vets, they should uphold their oath to ensure the comfort/health of ALL animals. If a Muslim touches a pig/dog, it's fine as long as he/she washes with water & a certain type of soil after touching the animal.
yes thats correct.. we muslims can only touch dogs if our hands are completely dry or if suddenly theres a need to touch ( emergency or in the case of darurat -not sure how to explain darurat) for example : we rescue dogs from dying or being hit by a car or nurse the dog becos it is sick... but then u need to wash your hands in a certain way with water and soil..

correct me if i'm wrong....
Old 10-06-2008, 05:09 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by filinlee View Post
yes thats correct.. we muslims can only touch dogs if our hands are completely dry or if suddenly theres a need to touch ( emergency or in the case of darurat -not sure how to explain darurat) for example : we rescue dogs from dying or being hit by a car or nurse the dog becos it is sick... but then u need to wash your hands in a certain way with water and soil..

correct me if i'm wrong....
is darurat social responsibility? or compassionate reasons?

also i've heard that there is a special soap available now for muslims who have dogs.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:24 PM
PetFinder Guru

OH.. i thought 'darurat' was 'curfew or state of emergency'?? LOL, my BM has flown out the window..

i'm curious about the soil.. what type of soil are muslims supposed to use? is it easy to find? and how does it work? mix the soil in a bit of water and scrub the body parts which came into contact with the dog?
Old 10-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road

oh apparently there was a booth promoting "samak soap" for muslim dog handlers during the oct 4 adoption drive at bsv

Quote:
OH.. i thought 'darurat' was 'curfew or state of emergency'?? LOL, my BM has flown out the window..

i'm curious about the soil.. what type of soil are muslims supposed to use? is it easy to find? and how does it work? mix the soil in a bit of water and scrub the body parts which came into contact with the dog?
Old 10-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Animal Lover

let this indon girl come to the rescueee!!

TEACHING LESSON 101: DARURAT MEANS A STATE OF EMERGENCY.

yiippiieeee i am so smart! ahahaha ashley and lynie is worse than me.. hahahaa suddenly the world is a brighter place, KAPOOWW *smacked by lynie's and ashley's pets*
Old 10-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

chelly, i'm going to make your day.....I didn't know what's darurat either!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreted View Post
let this indon girl come to the rescueee!!

TEACHING LESSON 101: DARURAT MEANS A STATE OF EMERGENCY.

yiippiieeee i am so smart! ahahaha ashley and lynie is worse than me.. hahahaa suddenly the world is a brighter place, KAPOOWW *smacked by lynie's and ashley's pets*
Old 10-06-2008, 06:35 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
is darurat social responsibility? or compassionate reasons?
also i've heard that there is a special soap available now for muslims who have dogs.
darurat got 2 meanings.. 1 like somebunny said is state of emergency is correct... ehehe... another meaning in kamus dewan is keadaan yang mencemaskan atau menyusahkan (biasanya berlaku dgn tiba2 atau dengan tidak disangka2...) kesukaran yang timbul dengan tidak disangka2 (spt bahaya , kekurangan makanan )..etc....

so meaning if lets say there is an injured dog in the middle of the road.. we can move the dog to a safer place even if we dun wear gloves so as not to touch directly to the dog...because if we leave it on the road, it can cause harm to the dog, example being hit by a car.. something like that. in that kind of situation we can touch dogs..but we need to clean up later on...

there is a soap that we can use.. its call taharah - the brand name.. but then there has been several issues regarding the soap....not pure soil n some other reasons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleywong View Post
oh apparently there was a booth promoting "samak soap" for muslim dog handlers during the oct 4 adoption drive at bsv
yeap.. they are for sale at the price of rm5 i think... i used to buy before becose previosly i stayed with my chinese grandma and aunt... so there were dogs at home... eheheh

Quote:

dun worry bunny... i x salah faham pon.. n ur bm is ok.. eheheh

tanah yang perlu digunakan ialah tanah liat yang suci daripada segala jenis kotoran...not taht easy to find... u really need to be sure that the soil is really clean.... the first batch of water u need to mix with the soil n clean your hands n feet (whichever part that kena the dog ), then u need to clean again with pure clean water ( yang diyakini bersih ) 6 times... during the cleaning u need to niat that u want to cleanse urself...

i hope this is the correct info i'm giving u guys coz that is what i understood when i studied in secondary school... ehehe... hope its clear...
Old 10-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Animal Lover

Blackie... BANZAIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!

anyways is this samak soap is a replacement for the soil? i have to add that my indon helper just took red soil in our garden and use it to wash her hands with water, so there's a human factor there too. so once again.. its niat that counts isnt it..
Old 10-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

sorry la, chelly, can't help u there...i'm blur as a sotong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreted View Post
Blackie... BANZAIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!

anyways is this samak soap is a replacement for the soil? i have to add that my indon helper just took red soil in our garden and use it to wash her hands with water, so there's a human factor there too. so once again.. its niat that counts isnt it..
Old 10-06-2008, 11:02 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by
[COLOR="purple"
tanah yang perlu digunakan ialah tanah liat yang suci daripada segala jenis kotoran...not taht easy to find... u really need to be sure that the soil is really clean.... the first batch of water u need to mix with the soil n clean your hands n feet (whichever part that kena the dog ), then u need to clean again with pure clean water ( yang diyakini bersih ) 6 times... during the cleaning u need to niat that u want to cleanse urself...[/COLOR]
hmm..soil that is free from all types of dirt?? sounds really difficult to find good thing some people are coming up with the samak soap

Tx for the info, filinlee
Old 10-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Puppet Master~

chemonk is an unknown quantity at this point

huhu... most of people will think it's hard to find clean soil because lot of people think that the soil itself is a dirt... hehehe... well.. it's easy, you can find mud soil anywhere as long as it is clean from other secondary dirt such as blood, or human/ animal waste <-- this one not so sure since a lot of people (especially those construction worker from pakistani or bangladeshi like to pee everywhere) huhuhu... (i'm so sorry to say that to our pakistani/bangladeshi bro & sis), well this is based on my general observation... not to say all... but a part of them... back to the soil story... as long as the soil is not contaminated with dirt or in malay we call it najis (mostly from organic lives).. it should be fine...
Old 10-08-2008, 12:00 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemonk View Post
huhu... most of people will think it's hard to find clean soil because lot of people think that the soil itself is a dirt... hehehe... well.. it's easy, you can find mud soil anywhere as long as it is clean from other secondary dirt such as blood, or human/ animal waste <-- this one not so sure since a lot of people (especially those construction worker from pakistani or bangladeshi like to pee everywhere) huhuhu... (i'm so sorry to say that to our pakistani/bangladeshi bro & sis), well this is based on my general observation... not to say all... but a part of them... back to the soil story... as long as the soil is not contaminated with dirt or in malay we call it najis (mostly from organic lives).. it should be fine...

yeap.. thats true...nak cari tanah yang di yakini bersih agak susah jugak sekarang nih... tu bila sabun taharah tuh kuar ada ramai yang pertikai kan...ntah la...x tau nak cakap...x brapa nak pandai bab2 nih.. karang tersalah info lak...
Old 10-30-2008, 01:28 AM
PetFinder Guru

BellXun is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Muslims Handling Swine and Canines

I have a question. A fundamental question.

Does muslims have a story or a reason for the action? like why pigs and dogs only, and not rabbits or snakes or monkey. Is there like a story or sumthing to it? I ask many friends before, they told me that they are 'unpure', some say they dont know but thats the rules, thats about all the answer i get.

Anyone can help me out. just curious. hehe.

:D