Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Rescuers & Fosterers

Rescuers & Fosterers For rescuers and fosterers, the true heroes of PetFinder.my

Old 02-24-2010, 03:31 PM
PetFinder Buddy

neems is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to neems
Default Stray cat seriously wounded and sick, need urgent help!

Hi guys,

There's a male stray cat that has been wandering my house for a few weeks now. He's very scared and violent at first, and he had small wounds on his head. I tried catching him but instead I got a huge bite on my finger!

Weeks has gone by and he came back in worse condition. Very thin, unable to eat, Wheezing a lot. He has wounds all over his head and ears. He came in front of my door and stayed there and meowed the whole day. He actually let my sister pet him and apply cream on his wounds. I can't do anything right now. My neighbors are really cruel to him and pour hot water on him. He's sleeping at the back of my house. He's been sleeping there lifeless and flies all over his body. He still hisses at me but he really has no energy to attack me. He just cries for help. I've already gave him food but he won't eat.

If someone can help this poor cat, please email me! I really can't do anything right now. I have to work soon and my family are really busy too.

Here are some pictures:

Here my sister is applying the cream:

I'd rather be hated for who I am,
than loved for who I am not.

FACEBOOK | MYSPACE

Last edited by neems; 02-24-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Stray cat seriously wounded and sick, need urgent help!

Could you try and lure him into a cage and take him to a vet asap? The poor thing needs a vet's help.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:44 AM
PetFinder Buddy

^ I tried that, he won't go in the cage. I've tried carrying him but he's so aggressive. He ran off and I followed him until he went in the drain. I stayed there for hours calling him and trying to take him out. I even put food but he doesnt want to come out. I only slept for abit, and now I'm going to look for him again. Yesteday was a really busy day that's why i couldnt do anything. :(

FACEBOOK | MYSPACE
Old 02-25-2010, 08:22 AM
PetFinder Buddy

OK, I found the cat, now I just need to know how I can get him in a cage? I've already tried carrying him, luring him, putting food in the cage, etc. He'll run away, and just meow, or sit there and stare at me. What can I do?

FACEBOOK | MYSPACE
Old 02-25-2010, 10:52 AM
PetFinder Guru

kuntum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by neems View Post
OK, I found the cat, now I just need to know how I can get him in a cage? I've already tried carrying him, luring him, putting food in the cage, etc. He'll run away, and just meow, or sit there and stare at me. What can I do?
Try to distract him and someone from behind could put a towel/blanket on his head.

When u need to take a nervous cat the vet, it may be the best to restrain it in a blanket...

Last edited by kuntum; 02-25-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Since you've already tried putting food in the cage and it still won't go in, then the only thing to do is to shove it in butt first. My cats run away the minute I bring out the carrier, and the only way I could put them into the carrier is to shove them butt in first (with their head facing me).

BUT, since this is a stray cat, and not your pet, I'd advise you to wear some thick garden gloves or wrap your hands in thick towels first before you attempt that (just in case he decides to bite you).

Good luck, and you're a great girl with a great heart.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Animal Lover

Forrester is on a distinguished road

Neems, the cat trusts your sister enough to let her touch and apply cream, so get your sister to bring the small cage or carrier (carrier must not be too small for him to feel trapped in the small carrier and resist being put inside) right next beside him and very quickly before he senses your intention (gently, smoothly and calmly because the cat can sense your nervousness and get scared and suspicious himself and spring away and you will not get a second chance) into the small cage/carrier. Do not bang or hit the cage/carrier while bring it next to him as he will get nervous. Get the cage/carrier as NEAR (right next to him) as possible to reduce the distance to get him to the cage/carrier as it will increase the chance of him escaping from your sister's arms in fright.

Meanwhile, because the cat does not seem comfortable with you, stay half a mile away and let your sister calmly do all the work. Have a small piece of cloth ready to cover the cage/carrier completely to calm him down because he will freak out when he discovers quickly that he has been trapped. Tie down door of cage/carrier securely with a string so that it will not open accidently and you will lose him anywhere all the way to the clinic. Make sure he does not escape at the clinic. Some people lose their cat there due to carelessness and taking simple things for granted.

To reduce his aggression causing him to get into fights and injury (plus diseases and infections), do him a huge favor and neuter him as soon as possible.

p.s. For greater success against the cat escaping, always put the cat in head first - he will need to turn around to escape. If you do butt first (you only do this with your very, very tame cat - who could still change its mind and decide it does not want to be in the cage/carrier and spring out), he can so easily spring out, scratching you along the way if he is frightened or angry.

Last edited by Forrester; 02-25-2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: p.s.: ... head first instead of butt first ...
Old 02-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Animal Lover

ChooBee is on a distinguished road

My favourite, Tuxedo cat. He'll surely grow into a macho boy once his wound healed. But first, you got to catch him. I agree with Forrester, go slow with this boy and don't do anything to startle him. I guess he must be very jumpy now especially after what he'd gone thru. I wish I could be there to help you catch him.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Petfinder Moderator

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here. Their front paws are very strong and they can easily resist and could not be shoved in at all. Then, you have to chase them all over the place and try to retrieve them from their hiding place.

However, if you were to shove them butt in first, their hind legs are not able to stop that huge shove you gave them. BUT, as you correctly pointed out, you can only do this with your own pet, which was why I advised Neems to wear thick garden gloves or wrapped her hands with thick towels first, as you are very likely to be scratched or bitten if the cat is a stray and decides to escape.

The important thing is, the element of surprise must be there. You're holding it, soothing it, and suddenly, it finds itself in a carrier and before it recovers, the door is shut! That's my modus operandi ever since I discovered this trick. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrester View Post
p.s. For greater success against the cat escaping, always put the cat in head first - he will need to turn around to escape. If you do butt first (you only do this with your very, very tame cat - who could still change its mind and decide it does not want to be in the cage/carrier and spring out), he can so easily spring out, scratching you along the way if he is frightened or angry.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:40 PM
Animal Lover

Forrester is on a distinguished road
Default Head first ...

Oh, don't worry, I have been successfully gently and very, very swiftly shoving strays, especially non-tame and non-familiar strays (not tame home pets) head first with confidence during my volunteer work overseas for elephant years. Works even better with home cats. Into carriers, then once the head is in, I raise the front of the carrier a little and plop. the cat literally drops into the carrier ... head and front legs (which do not even move) first, then followed by the rest of the body. I gently push the butt in, and very quickly lower the carrier allowing it to rest on the ground and close, latch the door before the cat manage to realise what is happening and panic takes over and it goes crashing against all sides of the carrier. And there is where the cloth comes in useful. Cover the carrier, blocking out the sight and the animal calms down quicker. Easy as pie ...

Hahahhahaaa!!!! Hold it, stroke it? Naaaah, lady, that is for tame cats, not for a stray cat that does not even let you stroke it more than 2 seconds, let alone pick it up .... And Neem cannot even get close to it after her failed attempt, the cat is running away from her now. Maybe Neem needs to work on the cat for a couple of days to regain its confidence in her.

Her sister can put cream and stroke, but still we are not sure the cat feels safe enough with her sister to let her pick it up and hold it for more than 3 seconds ....... hahahhahhahaaa!!!!

... maybe Malaysian cats are different, I don't know ... especially Malaysian home cats ..... hahahhahhaaaaaa!!!!

Anyway, good luck to you ladies ....

Last edited by Forrester; 02-25-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:42 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Default Re: Head first ...

Hi guys,

Thanks for helping me. I've tried everything but he was so scared he ran away again! I cannot believe I cannot do this. I've done this a thousand times with injured stray cats, but this one is hard. I pet him a little he hisses at me, I gently put a towel on his head he jumps out and screams. I have never had a hard time putting a cat into a carrier before. But this one is something else. Now he's completely lost our trust and ran off. I looked for him everywhere. I just really want to take him to the vet, it's so depressing I can't even sleep right thinking he's out there hurting. On top of all this I'm sick and one stray kitten I rescued recently is lost. This situation could not get any worse. :(

These last few days has been a nightmare. :(

Oh yes, My sister tried this with me. She was there too, and the same thing happened. While my sister was putting on the cream he hissed at her. He wants us to help him, but he does not want us to touch him. He'll sit in front of the door, he'll get close to us, but that's it. We move a step he freaks! I was thinking of calling a vet to come over? What do you guys think?

FACEBOOK | MYSPACE
Old 02-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Animal Lover

Mutt is on a distinguished road

Hi there.
I really sense your frustration at not being able to catch the cat. For what it is worth--- I had a very aggressive cat that I use to feed who was badly injured and needed medical care. I wanted to try and catch her in the least stressful way but none of them worked. I finally ended up getting a large net on a pole like people use for fishing and used that to catch her. Caught her in the net, then had to use a large towel to wrap her up. Mind you I also was wearing very thick/heavy garden gloves. I ended up placing her in a dog carrier as the opening was larger and I could just sort of shove her in there instead of trying to fit her through a smaller cat cage opening.
She was so crazy/feral that the vet had to give her a mild sedative before they could examine and and fix the wounds.
Just something to consider. I give you a lot of credit for trying to do something to help this cat.
Best of luck,
-Mutt
Old 02-26-2010, 02:52 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Hey, thanks for the tip. Might do it if anything like this happens again. :)

Good news, we finally got him in the cage. My sister has a few scratches but she'll be OK. She's at the vet as I type, and looks like the costs of treatment is expensive. My cousin had to come back home for more money.

Anyway, I need someone to adopt the poor guy. I'm leaving Malaysia and I can't leave him like this. I can't afford to put him up for boarding aswell. And I really have no time now to take care of him. If anyone can help take care of the cat, please PM me. I really need help. Thanks.

FACEBOOK | MYSPACE
Old 02-26-2010, 03:12 PM
PetFinder Buddy

He was diagnosed with some kind of flesh eating bacteria [not exactly but something like that]. And the vet told us the condition was so bad and we are all in great risk of catching the virus! There is a cure but one pill is around RM10 and it will take months [or not] for him to recover.. He was running around the vet, hissing at everyone. So he told us it's better to just let him go, and so, the cat has been euthanized. I'm glad he's not suffering anymore. There's no other way. There's just a big risk there, other cats could be infected, and it spread fast.

I feel terrible and my whole body is tingly. His blood is all over my house, and I cannot imagine how many cats he has come in contact with. He came in my house once and slept on my couch where my kittens sleep. God help me. I need to clean out everything now. This is really depressing. I'm in tears, I just can't believe this. I'm scared, and I'm angry. I really wanted him to be happy and live his life. What's done is done. I really need to clean up all the trails of blood. I just hope me and my sister did not make the wrong decision.

Thanks everyone for helping.

FACEBOOK | MYSPACE

Last edited by neems; 02-26-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Petfinder Moderator

He has necrotizing fasciitis??!! The poor thing. Sigh. At least, he's not suffering anymore.

Do not delay, go to a doctor immediately, and get antibiotics for your sister who has been scratched, if you haven't already done so. Tell the doctor about what happened. Necrotizing fasciitis is infectious, if that's what the cat had. It is a bacteria, not virus, by the way.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:39 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Yeah, I know itss a bacteria. Out of all viruses/bacteria, he had necrotizing fasciitis!
It costs RM150 to euthenize him. The vet used anesthesia because the cat could not calm down, and nobody wanted to hold him down because of the bacteria he's infected with. Poor thing. We buried him as soon as we got back.

My sister is doing OK, thank god. But there is a stray cat, who has a small wound on his leg which looks similar to this one. The stray male cat fought with the tuxedo one before he vanished and today he came back with a sore foot. I just hope it's not the same bacteria as the unfortunate tuxedo cat.

FACEBOOK | MYSPACE