Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 08-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road
Default Urgent Help Needed with Samantha

Dear All Forummers and Animal Lovers

I urgently require help with caring for samantha.

I took samantha for her vet visit last sunday - for her vaccination and later on her neutering . unfortunately the vet pronounced her as pregnant - at least six weeks along. i was shocked to hear that as i kept her caged up and separated from my cats (one of which is still un-neutered) and any strays since she came to me . she must have been pregnant when she turned up at my doorstep. she's with me now for slightly over six weeks. vet said she's due in either 2 or 3 weeks time (pregnancy duration of 65 days)

my choices now are :
1) take her for abortion although it's considered late term abortion

2) to see her through with her care and delivery of her kittens

i've chosen for option 2 as i'm not sure there's any animal shelter here that practices no-kill policy (especially for a pregnant cat and future unwanted litter).

i've looked at my own household and i realised i'm short on

1) space to seggregate samantha from my own cats and gabriel so that samantha has a safe place for delivery - will reduce stress for her. not the time to try to integrate her with my cats right now. my cats don't like it for some reason.

2) i don't know anything about caring for pregnant cats and her kittens before, during and after delivery. just hearing the vet described it, i'm already panicking.

can some good samaritan out there help to take over care of samantha in her current condition? if yes, then i can turn my attention to her son, gabriel and keep him with me while trying to seek a permanent home for gabriel.

for some reason, my own cats are reacting aggressively to gabriel and to each other - they're very nervous and edgy. i am unable to cope with a pregnant cat right now, i'll be honest and i'm not too proud to ask for help especially when my mistakes and pride may cause further suffering to samantha and gabriel.

pls don't mistake my request for help as indicating that samantha is difficult and aggressive. that's far from it. she's still the sweet girl she is - just that i wish to have a good environment for her right now without her having to worry about her safety shelter and food.i myself am not able to care properly for her and i don't wish to do her an injustice by being to proud to admit that i need help with samantha.

pls don't worry, i won't ask any volunteers to foot samantha's vet bills. i can provide food for samantha if she's taken care by a volunteer but not the other equipments like litter box, water and food bowl, litter material or cage (as i'm short on this also).

hope offers for help will pour in. my final choice will be to surrender her to the shelter and i hope it won't come to that.

waiting with bated breath :
Old 08-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road

Ashley,do you want volunteer to give donation until she give birth or do you want somebody to adopt her?? If you want donation,I will gather our friends for collection to be given to you.Poor Samantha. After she give birth then we can also give her kitten for adoption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleywong View Post
Dear All Forummers and Animal Lovers

I urgently require help with caring for samantha.

I took samantha for her vet visit last sunday - for her vaccination and later on her neutering . unfortunately the vet pronounced her as pregnant - at least six weeks along. i was shocked to hear that as i kept her caged up and separated from my cats (one of which is still un-neutered) and any strays since she came to me . she must have been pregnant when she turned up at my doorstep. she's with me now for slightly over six weeks. vet said she's due in either 2 or 3 weeks time (pregnancy duration of 65 days)

my choices now are :
1) take her for abortion although it's considered late term abortion

2) to see her through with her care and delivery of her kittens

i've chosen for option 2 as i'm not sure there's any animal shelter here that practices no-kill policy (especially for a pregnant cat and future unwanted litter).

i've looked at my own household and i realised i'm short on

1) space to seggregate samantha from my own cats and gabriel so that samantha has a safe place for delivery - will reduce stress for her. not the time to try to integrate her with my cats right now. my cats don't like it for some reason.

2) i don't know anything about caring for pregnant cats and her kittens before, during and after delivery. just hearing the vet described it, i'm already panicking.

can some good samaritan out there help to take over care of samantha in her current condition? if yes, then i can turn my attention to her son, gabriel and keep him with me while trying to seek a permanent home for gabriel.

for some reason, my own cats are reacting aggressively to gabriel and to each other - they're very nervous and edgy. i am unable to cope with a pregnant cat right now, i'll be honest and i'm not too proud to ask for help especially when my mistakes and pride may cause further suffering to samantha and gabriel.

pls don't mistake my request for help as indicating that samantha is difficult and aggressive. that's far from it. she's still the sweet girl she is - just that i wish to have a good environment for her right now without her having to worry about her safety shelter and food.i myself am not able to care properly for her and i don't wish to do her an injustice by being to proud to admit that i need help with samantha.

pls don't worry, i won't ask any volunteers to foot samantha's vet bills. i can provide food for samantha if she's taken care by a volunteer but not the other equipments like litter box, water and food bowl, litter material or cage (as i'm short on this also).

hope offers for help will pour in. my final choice will be to surrender her to the shelter and i hope it won't come to that.

waiting with bated breath :
Old 08-12-2008, 11:19 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Urgent Help Needed with Samantha

umm... i've got a cat room.. i don't know if it will do though.. will she be ok in a cage after giving birth? and the kittens?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:20 AM
PetFinder Guru

kitty_inky is on a distinguished road

kak june count me in if u want to collect donation.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Banned

hi lynielime, kitty_inky, june

i think i need to clarify i'm not asking for money or collecting money. i need help to take care of samantha before and during birth and after birth. of course if complication arises during birth and she needs to be taken to the vet, then i'll bear the vet expenses if it comes to that.

i will take her back to her vet this weekend to see whether we can find out how many kittens to expect - it will make it easier to monitor whether all her kittens come out as expected. last week's x-ray showed 1 kitten (at least i see one spine). the ultrasound showed two spines and a heart beating but inconclusive whether 1 or 2 kittens. only conclusive in confirming pregnancy. no charge for this week's x-ray exam. that's kind of the vet. (i'm glad i asked the vet to check first before taking her to the klinik kembiri - otherwise - dare not think of the consequences).

post delivery, i'll need to check with the vet when they're can be moved but i understand that the kittens can't be moved or touched during the initial period to reduce risk of rejection by the mother or reduce stress to the mother and interfere with her taking care of her babies.

post delivery, her kittens can be rehomed, around 6 weeks or so the earliest although the longer they stay with their mom, the more skills and behaviour they learned from her.

samantha is meant to be rehomed from the time i rescue her. there was an interested person but she didn't know that samantha is pregnant and neither did i at that time. i've written to this person to inform her of samantha's condition but have not received any reply.

lynielime, thanks for offering. if you have a cat room,will you be able to keep only samantha in this room? i was advised by my vet that at this point in time, samantha will be more protective of her unborn kittens and will be inclined to display more aggressiveness than is her norm when faced with other cats in her immediate surrounding. in any case, i was advised to not let her mingle with other cats before during and after her delivery. until she and kittens are ready (exactly how that means i also don't know).

any help and advice from forumers will be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:02 PM
PetFinder Guru

it would be ok for her to be in a cage before during and after pregnancy? the whole time? or do you think the boredom will make her go bonkers? i guess my cat room would be ok because that is where i keep foster cats and kittens to keep them away from my other cats.. at the moment i am only fostering one kitten and since she's been with me so long she already has the run of the house meaning that the the cat room is now just a room that houses an empty cage, two huge litterboxes and massive containers of pet food.. i can't guarantee that none of the cats won't occasionally get into the room though.. even if samantha is in a cage, i think just the presence of the other cats in the house might drive her up the wall.. i dunno.. i've no experience with pregnant cats at all.. perhaps i could be your last resort? if you can't find a better option, i don't mind trying my best to help.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Animal Lover

Ashley,apologised for the misunderstanding.As much as I want to help but my hands are full. I have 5 cats + 3 kitten.1 cat is recuperating from a fall.

Lynie,u don't have to cage a pregnant queen but make sure the environment is quiet and let her have some private moment after the birth.Far from noise and crowd.

Quote:
hi lynielime, kitty_inky, june

i think i need to clarify i'm not asking for money or collecting money. i need help to take care of samantha before and during birth and after birth. of course if complication arises during birth and she needs to be taken to the vet, then i'll bear the vet expenses if it comes to that.

i will take her back to her vet this weekend to see whether we can find out how many kittens to expect - it will make it easier to monitor whether all her kittens come out as expected. last week's x-ray showed 1 kitten (at least i see one spine). the ultrasound showed two spines and a heart beating but inconclusive whether 1 or 2 kittens. only conclusive in confirming pregnancy. no charge for this week's x-ray exam. that's kind of the vet. (i'm glad i asked the vet to check first before taking her to the klinik kembiri - otherwise - dare not think of the consequences).

post delivery, i'll need to check with the vet when they're can be moved but i understand that the kittens can't be moved or touched during the initial period to reduce risk of rejection by the mother or reduce stress to the mother and interfere with her taking care of her babies.

post delivery, her kittens can be rehomed, around 6 weeks or so the earliest although the longer they stay with their mom, the more skills and behaviour they learned from her.

samantha is meant to be rehomed from the time i rescue her. there was an interested person but she didn't know that samantha is pregnant and neither did i at that time. i've written to this person to inform her of samantha's condition but have not received any reply.

lynielime, thanks for offering. if you have a cat room,will you be able to keep only samantha in this room? i was advised by my vet that at this point in time, samantha will be more protective of her unborn kittens and will be inclined to display more aggressiveness than is her norm when faced with other cats in her immediate surrounding. in any case, i was advised to not let her mingle with other cats before during and after her delivery. until she and kittens are ready (exactly how that means i also don't know).

any help and advice from forumers will be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Banned

hi lynielim and june

thanks for both your help and advices. it's been helpful as well as soothing. i've been thinking a lot on this ever since sunday. the ideal of course would be not to subject samantha to any more undue stress from being moved around and adjusting to new surroundings. i mean she's already okay with me and her current room. actually she's not happy being kept in a cage at the present moment but i see no other way for it.

i'll keep your offer in mind. let's see whether anyone can help out.

thanks a lot

i feel terrible for letting samantha down as i can't even offer her the basics of shelter and care.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Banned

june,

have you had experience delivering kittens? perhaps you can share with me what will happen and what to expect? i'd like to prepare for worst case scenario (i.e. being the cat midwife)

thanks
ashley
Old 08-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Animal Lover

yes,twice.Basically you don't require much stuff.just prepare a box that big enough for Samantha and her kitten.put newspaper and towel as cover for her to lie or sleep inside it. Have you heard the phrase Macam Kucing Mau Beranak?? Meaning a queen that going to give birth will make a lot of noise and pacing back and forth,roaming around your house looking for a best place for her to give birth. So it is better for you to put her box far away from crowded area like living hall,kitchen. Maybe you can keep her in a room.Do you have extra room?? Don't be surprise if you see her giving birth under your bed or inside your wardrobe.Now you get the picture?? Cats normally doesn't need much help to give birth.They can do it on their own.But you can be by her side also like I did.Mine takes almost 24 hours for her to give birth.

maybe others forumer can give some input too.We can check with them.

Quote:
june,

have you had experience delivering kittens? perhaps you can share with me what will happen and what to expect? i'd like to prepare for worst case scenario (i.e. being the cat midwife)

thanks
ashley
Old 08-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Banned

hi june

thanks for the info.

i'm afraid i do really need help. i don't have the appropriate place for samantha to give birth unless it is at the front porch or backyard (unsheltered). both are unsuitable as it is not protected and not quiet. no spare room that is not used or low-traffic areas that are not wired with alarm motion sensor trigger. my house is not that big.

as much as i want to provide the ideal environment to samantha, i need to consider my current households including my own cats. i'm at my wits ends. i have many options for intergrating gabriel into my household but nothing works for samantha. i really don't have that extra space

unless it is okay to keep her confined in a cage (her current cage that's like 5ft tall and 3ft deep and 4 ft wide) before, during and after birth.

same question as lynielime. will this do for samantha?

but that leaves the question of where to put her cage where she wont' be disturb.

she's using my brother's room now but he's coming back in like a week's time....

right now, i don't wish to put too many restrictions on what sort of ideal conditions should be provided for samantha -i really need help and i can't afford to be choosy. i'm sorry to be so blunt but i'm forced to face reality and make some really decisions with my head now instead of with my heart.

thanks so much for listening. i don't feel so sad already
Old 08-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Animal Lover

I know how do you feel because I was in your shoes before.What abt lynie's offer?? I think it is ok to keep her in the cage and let her out occasionally but as you said earlier, a lot of activies going on and she will not feel secure.Proabably the best thing is to let her choose where she wants to give birth in your house and after that we will figure out where to put her until we find a permanent home for her.how's that??

Quote:
hi june

thanks for the info.

i'm afraid i do really need help. i don't have the appropriate place for samantha to give birth unless it is at the front porch or backyard (unsheltered). both are unsuitable as it is not protected and not quiet. no spare room that is not used or low-traffic areas that are not wired with alarm motion sensor trigger. my house is not that big.

as much as i want to provide the ideal environment to samantha, i need to consider my current households including my own cats. i'm at my wits ends. i have many options for intergrating gabriel into my household but nothing works for samantha. i really don't have that extra space

unless it is okay to keep her confined in a cage (her current cage that's like 5ft tall and 3ft deep and 4 ft wide) before, during and after birth.

same question as lynielime. will this do for samantha?

but that leaves the question of where to put her cage where she wont' be disturb.

she's using my brother's room now but he's coming back in like a week's time....

right now, i don't wish to put too many restrictions on what sort of ideal conditions should be provided for samantha -i really need help and i can't afford to be choosy. i'm sorry to be so blunt but i'm forced to face reality and make some really decisions with my head now instead of with my heart.

thanks so much for listening. i don't feel so sad already
Old 08-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Banned

hi june

i'm glad i have like-minded people to discuss with me my options. my family members are actually not that supportive of me keeping samantha "if" she's pregnant. yes, i've not told them yet. all hell will break lose.

i'm willing to consider lynie's offer actually i wanted to jump at it. but if is not convenient for her i don't want to force it on her.

as for my own house, the lack of support not withstanding, it's actually the lack of space that's limiting my ability to care for her. i've thought about it and there's really no really suitable spaces that can be pressed into service as labour room. *sigh*

i was advised by a friend that cats do it naturally all the time, be it indoor or outdoor and that i should just put samantha outdoors with a box and towels when the time is near.

is that advisable?
Old 08-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Animal Lover

Ashley,I really feel for you.Not having support from family in this kind of situation is very depressing.Yes, i know because my hubby was against the idea of having strays cats as pet!!! He dislikes cat. But I told him is only for a while until I find a permanent home for them.2 mths become 6 then 8 then 1 year.he!!he!! Finally he gave in and now we share the chores cleaning the house,litter box,feedlng them etc.

I might have to agree with your friend because cat can do it naturally.As I mentioned on my early posting.U will be surprise if she give birth under your bed/wardrobe.As long as the place is quiet and cannot be sighted by us they 're fine with that.

Let us spread the word and hopefully she will find a good home.

Quote:
hi june

i'm glad i have like-minded people to discuss with me my options. my family members are actually not that supportive of me keeping samantha "if" she's pregnant. yes, i've not told them yet. all hell will break lose.

i'm willing to consider lynie's offer actually i wanted to jump at it. but if is not convenient for her i don't want to force it on her.

as for my own house, the lack of support not withstanding, it's actually the lack of space that's limiting my ability to care for her. i've thought about it and there's really no really suitable spaces that can be pressed into service as labour room. *sigh*

i was advised by a friend that cats do it naturally all the time, be it indoor or outdoor and that i should just put samantha outdoors with a box and towels when the time is near.

is that advisable?
Old 08-13-2008, 04:50 PM
PetFinder Guru

well ladies let's just do the best we can! oh and also let's do some research on pregnant kitties and delivery of kittens on the net...
Old 08-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Banned

hi

i'm already sneaking some of my working hours reading up on the net, found a good site http://cats.about.com

i didn't know that nursing cat can get pregnant - now my questions answered - how and when.

now for the next part.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:15 AM
PetFinder Guru

yeah ashley! i heard that too! apparently cats don't have "mating seasons". they can get pregnant anytime!! omg!! my vet told me yesterday that when a female cat is nursing, she should not be able to get pregnant.. nursing is sort of a form of contraceptive.. but this is not always the case and some cats can get pregnant as soon as 2 weeks after giving birth.

this really worries me because i have been trying to catch this stray siamese cat in my neighborhood.. she had a litter of 3 beautiful kittens about 2 months ago. i have made friends with her but the kittens won't come near me. i've got to catch them all at the same time as i don't want to leave any kittens out there in the street without their mother.. but i also don't want her to get pregnant again before i catch her! the clock is ticking! and there are gatal male cats EVERYWHERE!!!

any tips on how i can catch mama and her brood together? am already feeding them twice a day right in front of my house. mama is used to me but the kittens run away when i bring the food and only creep back slowly when i've backed off a few meters..
Old 08-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Animal Lover

Hey!! That's sound familiar!! I have the same problem too.Mother very friendly cat but her kittens are quite defensive. I did what 1 guy from other forumer advise me to do. I put my carrier outside.Let the door open wide.Tie a string (very halus string,if possible white string) at the door.Put the food inside the carrier.Once the got inside to eat, pull the string and close the carrier door.whoa!!! really works man!!! But u must know visible to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
yeah ashley! i heard that too! apparently cats don't have "mating seasons". they can get pregnant anytime!! omg!! my vet told me yesterday that when a female cat is nursing, she should not be able to get pregnant.. nursing is sort of a form of contraceptive.. but this is not always the case and some cats can get pregnant as soon as 2 weeks after giving birth.

this really worries me because i have been trying to catch this stray siamese cat in my neighborhood.. she had a litter of 3 beautiful kittens about 2 months ago. i have made friends with her but the kittens won't come near me. i've got to catch them all at the same time as i don't want to leave any kittens out there in the street without their mother.. but i also don't want her to get pregnant again before i catch her! the clock is ticking! and there are gatal male cats EVERYWHERE!!!

any tips on how i can catch mama and her brood together? am already feeding them twice a day right in front of my house. mama is used to me but the kittens run away when i bring the food and only creep back slowly when i've backed off a few meters..
Old 08-14-2008, 10:30 AM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road

Hi Ashley,

Must be a shock to find out that Samantha is expecting!!

Yes, nursing cats can get pregnant, believe it or not that Lulu is now in heat and her kittens are only less than 2 mths!! I am keeping her indoor until her heat is over and off she goes to the vet!

Her earlier pregnancy was unexpected as she escaped through the window one morning, returned in the evening and 9 weeks later, pop, 3 little adorable kittens!

Cats are very independant animals, no human intervention needed, unless she is very close to you! My lulu, was following me around and insisted that I am by her side as she gave birth on a Friday morning, 3.00am! Again, it was quite an experience not to be missed!

I would like to suggest that you provide her a big box padded with old clothes, in a quiet place, safe somewhere outside the house. Let her get used to it. It is better than sending her off to a shelter. I believe that cat does it naturally, don't worry too much....

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com
Old 08-14-2008, 10:33 AM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Hey!! That's sound familiar!! I have the same problem too.Mother very friendly cat but her kittens are quite defensive. I did what 1 guy from other forumer advise me to do. I put my carrier outside.Let the door open wide.Tie a string (very halus string,if possible white string) at the door.Put the food inside the carrier.Once the got inside to eat, pull the string and close the carrier door.whoa!!! really works man!!! But u must know visible to them.
Eh ... June, macam tangkap tikus only....

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com