Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Reviews, Notices & Stories > Hall of Shame

Hall of Shame There are lots of cruel and inconsiderate people out there. Expose their cruel deeds to the world and let them be shamed!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Campaign Stop puppy and kitten Backyard breeder do trade through Pet Shop

Yup, that is why we need to speak out against BYB and kitten mill.

Not because we don't approve of people buying pets instead of adopting (I have no problem with people buying pets, don't get me wrong), not because we are judgemental, but because if we continue to support those people, they will carry on their activities, and papa & mama cats will just breed until they die. When there is demand, there will be supply.

At the risk of making more enemies here, I urge everyone to come out clean here and speak the truth without fear or favour.

Everyone, this is not a witch-hunt or attack. If you're a BYB before, or involved in any unethical or hypocritical practise, no one will criticise you (at least, I shall not) if you realize what you did was wrong, admit it and change for the better. Nobody is perfect, and everyone here is learning and changing for the better. I think people only get upset if you try to shift the blame to others and refuse to admit you were wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Cat View Post
Blackie, I was ignorant too about BYB before until I read about it in the forum and saw the documentary that Oprah did on Kitten and puppy mills. The documentary really brought tears to my eyes. Some of the animals never even step on the ground let alone feel grass on their feet. All they know is the four walls of their tiny cages. All cages are stack upon each other. They don't even have proper litter pans. They lie in their poo poo and wee wee. It was really heart sickening to watch it. The puppies and kittens sent to the petshops are groomed nicely and made to look cute and adorable to attract buyers whilst their mum and dads are rotting in their cage. Its a disgrace.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Campaign Stop puppy and kitten Backyard breeder do trade through Pet Shop

Charlene,after loooong explanation by Jimmy, I dunno what else to say.It it worst than we imagine I feel so helpless. Just imagine we have sell and buy pets section in petfinder. Who knows BYB from which planet already landed here and "kaching' (the sound of cash machine).

Now,just let me concentrate with my rescue work and helping this poor cats. Start with the strays around my area.I'm racing against time to save them from DBKL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
Yup, that is why we need to speak out against BYB and kitten mill.

Not because we don't approve of people buying pets instead of adopting (I have no problem with people buying pets, don't get me wrong), not because we are judgemental, but because if we continue to support those people, they will carry on their activities, and papa & mama cats will just breed until they die. When there is demand, there will be supply.

At the risk of making more enemies here, I urge everyone to come out clean here and speak the truth without fear or favour.

Everyone, this is not a witch-hunt or attack. If you're a BYB before, or involved in any unethical or hypocritical practise, no one will criticise you (at least, I shall not) if you realize what you did was wrong, admit it and change for the better. Nobody is perfect, and everyone here is learning and changing for the better. I think people only get upset if you try to shift the blame to others and refuse to admit you were wrong.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:02 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Re: Campaign Stop puppy and kitten Backyard breeder do trade through Pet Shop

June,
Look like your 360 turn after heard explanation by Jimmy, you not need feel helpless, all you can do is tell your friends come of support Campaign Stop puppy and kitten Backyard breeder do trade through Pet Shop. Like you supported now.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

The figure is staggering. Is it any wonder animal rescuers and fosterers are fighting a battle that has no end in sight??

The worst is they are even breeding domestic with a pure breed, talk about how desperate they are to make as much money as they can.

Jimmy, that is why they are driving big cars while you are driving an old junk. (oops!) You are too ethical --- you need to look for other business, maybe sell cat souvenirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Charlene,after loooong explanation by Jimmy, I dunno what else to say.It it worst than we imagine I feel so helpless. Just imagine we have sell and buy pets section in petfinder. Who knows BYB from which planet already landed here and "kaching' (the sound of cash machine).

Now,just let me concentrate with my rescue work and helping this poor cats. Start with the strays around my area.I'm racing against time to save them from DBKL.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:12 AM
PetFinder Buddy

pandorabox78 is an unknown quantity at this point

all for the simple reason why there should NOT be a pet sales section in this forum.....

just my 2 cents
Old 06-12-2009, 08:08 AM
PetFinder Buddy

baca882004 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorabox78 View Post

all for the simple reason why there should NOT be a pet sales section in this forum.....

just my 2 cents
I am probably one of the handful of persons to think the buy pets section in petfinder is fine. [OK!, Hold your bullets !!] To be honest, if you take out the buy pets section, there are ten more other sites BYB can go to. mudah.com.my etc. I even saw one in lelong.com.my. You close down one, 3 more springs up tomorrow.

So taking it out will not solve the problem, the problem only moved.

However, here's what PF should do :
1. Let the "For Sale" section matures into a place for high quality pets. Let the members monitor and criticize the BYB sellers. And let those who are naive learn from these comments.
2. And expose new BUYERS to the beautiful pets PF have for adoption. Like now, click for sell puppy profile, PF shows the for adoption ones first. Even suggesting "Can't find what you are looking for? Please see these, which are up for adoption". This technique is soft selling.

It's like if your kids are addicted to PS2, you cannot BAN it. They'll just go elsewhere. However, you can monitor and manage. Set rules and entice them to the benefits of reading (like asking them to read the walkthrough when they are stuck in the game).

Again - my dua sen..
Old 06-12-2009, 09:47 AM
.:: Baby, I dig you! ::.

Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia, World of Animal Lurve...
BabyZee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BabyZee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemonk View Post
adei... saya ckp kucing bawah jagaan kita lerr... kita pandai jaga.. kucing sehat.. tak perlu hantar gi klinik bagai... ok tak? hiks...

bukan ckp pasal kucing dlm sangkar kecik.. tu dah sah sah la kejam.. patuty di sula je org yg buat cam tuh... hahahahah.. apa apa pun...

ari wiken lepas.. saya turun kl.. jumpa sorg abg ni bawak kucing dlm beg.. nampak mcm org2 senang.. sebab tgk kucing lawa... tiba-tiba ada sorg adik kecik pakai tudung mintak sedekah... dia boleh halau mcm tu je...

itu lah yg saya maksud kan dgn....

"duit saya... saya boleh buat apa yg saya suka"

tapi tulah... jaga kucing bukan main nak rak... sesama manusia.. nak kasik derma 2-3 inggit pun.... mak aiiiiii.....

eh.. kenapa tetiba bukak citer mcm ni plak... hahahahahahah**matilaaku..
Sangat2 tidak setuju..kenapa?akan explain dibawah ni..heh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozzygee View Post
iskk pedass! pedass!..
Don't worry Kak Gee, tak ada apapun yang pedas di sini...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillylupie View Post
In KL there are syndicates that make fortune out of homeless children (sometimes abuse them, beat them up to look pitiful).

Now tell me, what did you do when you saw the little girl being turned away? Did you try to approach and find out more about her life, family members? OR, did you just simply walk away and ignore it all?

Well, if you did, you are just like the man with the cat.

If you handed her some Ringgits without knowing her story, you could be supporting a despicable syndicate.
(Just like buying a pet from a BYB ..)
Totally agree with you Kak Lupie on the matter of the pengemis or the pemintak derma syndicates..
Eh, sorry for the out of topic...

Last edited by BabyZee; 06-12-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Cayang Kucing

farahnm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to farahnm

Quote:

Sound funny but somehow true..
Old 06-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Human :-)

prinz38i is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to prinz38i

hmmmm... Buy and Sell Section... ...

Last edited by prinz38i; 06-12-2009 at 03:48 PM. Reason: peace
Old 06-12-2009, 03:52 PM
PetFinder Buddy

baca882004 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinz38i View Post
hmmmm... Buy and Sell Section... ...
I don't think there's an approver before pet profiles show up on PF lah!!

But once you post, your pet profile under "Buy and Sell" section is opened for others to comment. If someone buys and is unhappy, they can put in comment. If go to petshop or house and see abuse or unethical breeding of dogs, should also put in comment. Then the rest of the members know how is lousy seller.

I'm still waiting to see PF having a black-listed petshops or breeder section.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Gentle Giant

Coony is on a distinguished road

If you feel helpless imagine how much more helpless those furkids are, who can't even speak for themselves. Bcoz of this you have to do more for them expose all these unethical breeders & traders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post

Best Maine Coon Cattery in CFA ID Asia/LA since 2004
The only Maine Coon cattery with 3 DM, 3 Top Ten MCO National & produce the most GC/GP (30) & DW (12) in CFA ID Asia/LA
Old 06-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Gentle Giant

I agree with you, we can't stop these BYB from selling their pets anywhere so we might as well allow them to sell here, at least we have forumers here to monitor them & at the same time educate the public as it goes on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baca882004 View Post
I am probably one of the handful of persons to think the buy pets section in petfinder is fine. [OK!, Hold your bullets !!] To be honest, if you take out the buy pets section, there are ten more other sites BYB can go to. mudah.com.my etc. I even saw one in lelong.com.my. You close down one, 3 more springs up tomorrow.

So taking it out will not solve the problem, the problem only moved.

However, here's what PF should do :
1. Let the "For Sale" section matures into a place for high quality pets. Let the members monitor and criticize the BYB sellers. And let those who are naive learn from these comments.
2. And expose new BUYERS to the beautiful pets PF have for adoption. Like now, click for sell puppy profile, PF shows the for adoption ones first. Even suggesting "Can't find what you are looking for? Please see these, which are up for adoption". This technique is soft selling.

It's like if your kids are addicted to PS2, you cannot BAN it. They'll just go elsewhere. However, you can monitor and manage. Set rules and entice them to the benefits of reading (like asking them to read the walkthrough when they are stuck in the game).

Again - my dua sen..

The only Maine Coon cattery with 3 DM, 3 Top Ten MCO National & produce the most GC/GP (30) & DW (12) in CFA ID Asia/LA
Old 06-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Gentle Giant

Maybe I shud change my ethic.
Quote:
The figure is staggering. Is it any wonder animal rescuers and fosterers are fighting a battle that has no end in sight??

The worst is they are even breeding domestic with a pure breed, talk about how desperate they are to make as much money as they can.

Jimmy, that is why they are driving big cars while you are driving an old junk. (oops!) You are too ethical --- you need to look for other business, maybe sell cat souvenirs.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:47 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

I receive some inquire about this thread by public asking the thread Imadi Pet Shop opened by forumer was mention "I open this thread so that we can share information about BYB disguise as a petshop."
many people still unclear and understand what is do about it. Let me talk about for let people more understand the real picture. I don't want to seem rude, but it was so confusion. for thread Imadi Pet Shop opened between Campaign Stop puppy and kitten Backyard breeder do trade through Pet Shop.

For I knew the story started when pet shop owner do promotion at Pet Shops & Products,the advertising look famillar to everyone here. if you are new at here, let me show you the thread http://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=1349
Have one member of petfinder.my call herself as sillylupie. She took her cat to this pet shop for spaying. You can read more she was mention her story at http://forums.petfinder.my/showpost....3&postcount=69

I copy her picture and show here

As everyone like to know, but scare want to asking here, let me help you asking.
Isn't the real story as this pet shop with Clinics didn't have a vet. Has said hired if calling pet shop with Clinics , but when he started to provide vet service, he didnt have a vet. He sent his customers' cats to his business alliance, who owns was mention at thread http://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=2380.
If victim didn't insist on picking up her cat on that day itself, no one would have found out that Pet Shop sent the cats to another pet shop for spaying. it was unfortunate that this should happen.
Everyone need be cautious in future that they should speak to the vet directly before leaving their animals with anybody. Need to say is pet owners will just need to be more cautious as to whom they surrender their pet to. Pet owner you should be cautious, with real vet, other as "look like vet" cannot help your cat, they is want earn quick buck.
How this have concern with Campaign Stop puppy and kitten Backyard breeder do trade through Pet Shop.
Do this pet shop selling any backyard animals? Please judge by youself and don't be shy to yes, or not. Since this pet shop have do promotion at thread Pet Shops & Products
http://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=1349
you have a right for comments.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.

Last edited by dog is my buddy; 06-13-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:49 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Deki is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
Petfinder members,
YOU CAN DO IT, Don't let other's breed for greed. Say no to Backyard breeder.
It is THIS sector of the community that needs to be educated.
Campaign Object Backyard breeder with Pet Shop
Petfinder members, we need give educated to public no go support those Pet shop have concern business with Backyard breeder.

The truth is those animals come from accidental or unlicensed backyard breeders, who sell puppies and kitten through local pet shop.
There are no safeguards or checks on the health of either parent animals or their offspring which is why we believe Malaysia needs a campaign to stop backyard breeders.

We know that there are many wonderful Pet Shop owners out there that don't sell animals, and others that put animals from rescue centres in their windows to find homes for them. These are NOT the ones perpetuating the problem. We encourage you to support ONLY these Pet Shops by buying all your pet accessories from them and telling all your friends and family to do the same.

Our campaign is to stop the over breeding of thousands of animals by puppy and kitten farms and backyard breeders and put them out of business. Unfortunately they do trade through many Pet Shops, so Pet Shops have become a big part of the problem. We certainly recognise that Pet Shops are not the only cause of the problem. But however you look at it, there are too many animals bred and not enough homes for them all. That's why so many are euthanased every year. ANYTHING we can do to stop excessive breeding and impulse selling will reduce the numbers killed. Animals should not be bred for profit only to end up being killed when the money has been made.

Pet stores that sell dogs and/or cats are:
Supporting pet mills.
Contributing to pet overpopulation.
Encouraging impulse buys.
Cheating customers.
Abusing animals.
WHAT YOU CAN DO

NEVER buy a puppy or kitten from a pet store. There are thousands of dogs and cats already in need of homes. Do the right thing and adopt from local shelters. You can find the perfect pet for you by visiting Petfinder.my

TAKEN FROM WBESITE

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mill1.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	5895 Puppy Mills and Backyard Breeders

Puppy Mill
A puppy mill is a place where lots of dogs are being bred for the primary purpose of resale. There are generally lots of breeds, although some places only have a few breeds. The breeders breed for profit and generally sell to brokers or pet stores, but some do occasionally sell to the public. Bitches are generally bred every time they come into heat. Puppy mills usually have puppies available at any given time.

Name:	puppymill1.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	5898Click image for larger version

Name:	puppymill3.jpg
Views:	1571
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	5897

Backyard Breeder

This one is the toughie as on the outside it can sometimes be difficult to distinguish a backyard breeder from an ethical, responsible breeder. The one thing that separates the two types is education. Backyard breeders are not usually properly educated on their breed or on breeding.
Backyard breeders usually are nice on the surface. They only have a few dogs, and usually keep them in the house in a clean environment. The dogs outwardly look cared for and healthy. But backyard breeders commonly breed a bitch every time she comes into heat, do indiscriminate breedings, and do not do genetic tests. Genetic testing is very important. You can't see if a bitch or dog is going to throw genetic defects with your naked eye. These tests are very important. Backyard breeders also generally sell inferior quality puppies. They don't enforce spay or neuter contracts on pet quality dogs, obviously because they themselves are breeding pet quality dogs. They commonly sell dogs with full registration and no spay/neuter requirement to people with little to no background or experience in dogs.
No regards for the dogs or puppies health. No regards for the standard for the breed.
Although puppy mills are rampant in some states, they can be found anywhere.

Pet Store These places sell puppies FOR PROFIT. Not because they love puppies, because if they did, they wouldn't sell them. The puppies are sold at high prices, These puppies are generally young, 8 or so weeks old. Pet stores don't check out the people they sell puppies to, nor do they care. All they care is that you have the money for the puppy. Wanna see where that cute pet store puppy comes from? Watch this . Also, this one is pretty graphic .

Now, you say, what is an ethical breeder?
An ethical breeder is VERY different from the three other types listed above.
An ethical breeder does not breed to sell puppies. Generally when an ethical breeder breeds, he/she is breeding to get something out of that litter.
Responsible breeders will sell most of their puppies on limited registration and on a spay/neuter contract. They will occasionally have show prospects available to the right person and will usually require co-ownership for those inexperienced in the world of dogs. They are very careful about who they will sell a puppy too and screen potential owners very closely.
A responsible, ethical breeder keeps track of where all his/her puppies are.
An ethical breeder breeds for health, temperament, mental soundness, working ability and conformation. He/she generally shows his/her dogs in order to judge conformation as well as participates in other activities. Also they will do necessary genetic tests on dogs used for breeding in order to keep genetic defects out of their breeding program. This also greatly reduces your risks, as a puppy buyer, from getting a puppy who will inherit genetic diseases. Ethical breeders are also very careful about breeding for correct temperament.

So where is the best place to buy a puppy?

From an ethical responsible breeder. You might feel that the breeder has no place to tell you that you have to spay/neuter your dog. Well, all that breeder is doing is trying to protect the well being of the breed and their breeding program. No ethical breeder wants to see the offspring of his/her dogs in a puppy mill or pet store.

You may think that you are saving a puppy by buying it from a puppy mill, backyard breeder or pet store. Yes, you are saving that one puppy, but you are condemning its mother, father and many other puppies to come. If people stop buying from pet stores, puppy mills and backyard breeders then these places will go out of business and ALL the dogs will be saved. If you really want to save a dog/puppy, please check out your local shelters and breed rescue organizations.

But I don't have the tons of money that it costs to buy from a show breeder...

Ethical breeders generally sell their pet puppies for less than or equal to the prices of pet shops puppy mills and backyard breeders.
If you don't have the money, don't resort to getting a "cheap" dog from a backyard breeder. You will spend far more on vet bills in the future. You get what you pay for.

Name:	puppymill2.jpg
Views:	1008
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	5896

The following information was taken from here .

Where do pet store puppies come from?

Smaller dogs in a puppymill are kept in cages that are stacked on top of each other with floors of wire so that the urine and droppings of the dogs can go through to the ground. This means that the animals in the lower cages end up covered in feces and urine for most of their life - many leading to burns and infections - eventually a septic death. If they live out their life covered in urine and feces, their feet suffer by splaying out due to a lifetime of walking across wire. This is painful and irreversable.

IF they are fortunate enough to have feet wide enough NOT to slip through the wire cages, they won't suffer such injuries as this poor pooch did when its paw slipped through the wire and became tangeled. This dog was left to suffer in this condition for over a week. Its leg was also broken. By the time rescuers freed this animal, gangrene had set in and the leg had to be amputated. What did the miller say when questioned about the condition of this little one?? She simply shrugged and asked, "Think I should give it some antibotics?" This appalling abuse is only the tip of the iceberg. No charges were pressed because the authorities felt there 'wasn't enough evidence'. What do you think?

The next time you look at a puppy in a pet shop, picture the above, because this is where that puppy comes from. This is where his parents REMAIN. The larger breed dogs are there too.

As long as people continue to buy those cute little puppies and kittens in petstores, places and incidents like this will continue to exist. Walk away! Go to your humane shelter. Contact a rescue group! Remember - if a petstore doesn't sell their stock of puppies and kittens - they will STOP buying them from puppymills. Supply and demand speaks volumnes! WALK AWAY! If puppymills can't sell puppies - they go out of business.

If you can not do anything more in helping this cause, your walking away and OUT of that pet store, proves to us that you have indeed done done something!! You took the first step in stopping the madness. Spread the word!
We applaude you and thank you for your help!

Puppy Mills and Backyard Breeders

What is a puppy mill?
Why are they bad?

A puppy mill is a place where lots of dogs are being bred for the primary purpose of resale. There are generally lots of breeds, although some places only have a few breeds. The breeders breed for profit and generally sell to brokers or pet stores, but some do occasionally sell to the public. Bitches are generally bred every time they come into heat. Puppy mills usually have puppies available at any given time.
No regards for the dogs or puppies health. No regards for the standard for the breed.
Although puppy mills are rampant in some states, they can be found anywhere.

Backyard Breeder

This one is the toughie as on the outside it can sometimes be difficult to distinguish a backyard breeder from an ethical, responsible breeder. The one thing that separates the two types is education. Backyard breeders are not usually properly educated on their breed or on breeding.
Backyard breeders usually are nice on the surface. They only have a few dogs, and usually keep them in the house in a clean environment. The dogs outwardly look cared for and healthy. But backyard breeders commonly breed a bitch every time she comes into heat, do indiscriminate breedings, and do not do genetic tests. Genetic testing is very important. You can't see if a bitch or dog is going to throw genetic defects with your naked eye. These tests are very important. Backyard breeders also generally sell inferior quality puppies. They don't enforce spay or neuter contracts on pet quality dogs, obviously because they themselves are breeding pet quality dogs. They commonly sell dogs with full registration and no spay/neuter requirement to people with little to no background or experience in dogs.

Now, you say, what is an ethical breeder?
An ethical breeder is VERY different from the three other types listed above.
An ethical breeder does not breed to sell puppies. Generally when an ethical breeder breeds, he/she is breeding to get something out of that litter.
Responsible breeders will sell most of their puppies on limited registration and on a spay/neuter contract. They will occasionally have show prospects available to the right person and will usually require co-ownership for those inexperienced in the world of dogs. They are very careful about who they will sell a puppy too and screen potential owners very closely.
A responsible, ethical breeder keeps track of where all his/her puppies are.
An ethical breeder breeds for health, temperament, mental soundness, working ability and conformation. He/she generally shows his/her dogs in order to judge conformation as well as participates in other activities. Also they will do necessary genetic tests on dogs used for breeding in order to keep genetic defects out of their breeding program. This also greatly reduces your risks, as a puppy buyer, from getting a puppy who will inherit genetic diseases. Ethical breeders are also very careful about breeding for correct temperament.

So where is the best place to buy a puppy?

From an ethical responsible breeder. You might feel that the breeder has no place to tell you that you have to spay/neuter your dog. Well, all that breeder is doing is trying to protect the well being of the breed and their breeding program. No ethical breeder wants to see the offspring of his/her dogs in a puppy mill or pet store.
You may think that you are saving a puppy by buying it from a puppy mill, backyard breeder or pet store. Yes, you are saving that one puppy, but you are condemning its mother, father and many other puppies to come. If people stop buying from pet stores, puppy mills and backyard breeders then these places will go out of business and ALL the dogs will be saved. If you really want to save a dog/puppy, please check out your local shelters and breed rescue organizations.

But I don't have the tons of money that it costs to buy from a show breeder...
Ethical breeders generally sell their pet puppies for less than or equal to the prices of pet shops puppy mills and backyard breeders.
If you don't have the money, don't resort to getting a "cheap" dog from a backyard breeder. You will spend far more on vet bills in the future. You get what you pay for.

The following information was taken from here .

Where do pet store puppies come from?

Smaller dogs in a puppymill are kept in cages that are stacked on top of each other with floors of wire so that the urine and droppings of the dogs can go through to the ground. This means that the animals in the lower cages end up covered in feces and urine for most of their life - many leading to burns and infections - eventually a septic death. If they live out their life covered in urine and feces, their feet suffer by splaying out due to a lifetime of walking across wire. This is painful and irreversable.

Puppy Mills and Backyard Breeders . IF they are fortunate enough to have feet wide enough NOT to slip through the wire cages, they won't suffer such injuries as this poor pooch did when its paw slipped through the wire and became tangeled. This dog was left to suffer in this condition for over a week. Its leg was also broken. By the time rescuers freed this animal, gangrene had set in and the leg had to be amputated. What did the miller say when questioned about the condition of this little one?? She simply shrugged and asked, "Think I should give it some antibotics?" This appalling abuse is only the tip of the iceberg. No charges were pressed because the authorities felt there 'wasn't enough evidence'. What do you think?

As long as people continue to buy those cute little puppies and kittens in petstores, places and incidents like this will continue to exist. Walk away! Go to your humane shelter. Contact a rescue group! Remember - if a petstore doesn't sell their stock of puppies and kittens - they will STOP buying them from puppymills. Supply and demand speaks volumnes! WALK AWAY! If puppymills can't sell puppies - they go out of business.

If you can not do anything more in helping this cause, your walking away and OUT of that pet store, proves to us that you have indeed done done something!! You took the first step in stopping the madness. Spread the word!
We applaude you and thank you for your help!

What is a puppy mill?

There is not an exact definition of what constitutes a puppy mill. But, in our opinion, a puppy mill is a breeder who indiscriminately breeds dogs to produce the maximum number of puppies (profit) for the least expense and without significant regard for the preservation or improvement of the breed traits, the health of the adult dogs, or the future well being of the puppies. A puppy mill is like any other mill. It churns out a commodity.
Because of the USDA's inability to inspect all licensed breeders, a breeder may be "licensed" with the USDA and still operate a puppy mill. Do not be fooled by pet stores which claim their puppies come from "reputable breeders", "USDA breeders", or local breeders. None of these statements guarantees that a pet store puppy has not come from a puppy mill.
A puppy mill may have hundreds of adult dogs, or it may have only a handful. Of course, the greater the number of adult dogs that a mill has, the greater the likelihood that they are not getting adequate care and socialization. However, we have seen small breeders who operate just as poorly as large breeders.

What is wrong with a puppy mill?

Although there are some mills that will handle larger dogs, for the most part the mills all raise small dogs. The dogs are seldom kept in grass or gravel runs - that takes up way too much space and is too time consuming to clean. The smallest dogs are kept in rabbit hutches. Larger dogs may be kept in "kennel barns" . Kennel barns are small sheds that have two rows of cages with a center aisle. The cages have openings to outside elevated wire runs. The wire runs have to have large enough holes so that feces can fall through. Unfortunately, for small dogs, this creates an incredible strain on their feet and causes their toes to splay to the point where they are actually walking on the areas in between their pads. We have had Westies through here who could barely walk because of foot problems. The space allocated to each dog is about the size of a medium sized vari-kennel. Under USDA standards, all the room a dog needs is enough to stand up, turn around, and lay back down.

Puppies tend to do fairly well, because a puppy doesn't start socializing with humans until its about eight weeks old and, by then, it has already left the mill for the pet store. The adults in the mills do not fare nearly as well. They get virtually no medical treatment and many may never see a vet at all. The millers give their own shots and use ivomex to treat for worms and other pests. Because the dogs don't actually see vets, many medical problems such as ear mites, yeast infections, dog bites, tumors, hernias, and dental problems are never treated.

We have seen dogs under two years old who have had ruptured ear drums from untreated yeast infections. And, we routinely see dogs with horrible teeth - because the millers use drip water bottles instead of water bowls for the dogs. We also see an awful lot of undersized dogs. Its not uncommon for us to get adult females that weigh under 10 pounds. And, we almost uniformly get dogs that eat feces. The euphanism for this in the mill world is "they keep a clean pen" and it is something that is to be desired in a mill dog. I've actually witnessed dogs in mills who will pick up their poop and put it in their food dishes.

Do not be fooled by pet stores which claim their puppies come from "reputable breeders"

A puppy mill may have hundreds of adult dogs, or it may have only a handful. Of course, the greater the number of adult dogs that a mill has, the greater the likelihood that they are not getting adequate care and socialization. However, we have seen small breeders who operate just as poorly as large breeders.

Name:	brusselsleg.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	5899

Females dogs are bred at least once a year and sometimes twice a year, as soon as they are old enough to breed. And, a breeding female is worth a ton of money - regardless of her confirmation.

I've seen dogs who didn't even look like whatever breed they were supposed to be, that sold for an outrageous amount. I've seen dogs sell for as high as $8,000. And, I saw an 8 year old Cavalier King Charles female sell for $1,800 last spring - and by all accounts you would think that she was past breeding age. But, the saddest thing that I ever saw sell was a young Boston Terrier bitch who couldn't stand up because of hip displaysia . . . .and someone bought her for a breeding dog.

What can I do to stop puppy mills?

First and foremost, never buy a puppy from a pet store. Puppy mills can only exist as long as people continue to purchase pet store puppies. Boycott pet stores that sell puppies.

Last edited by Deki; 06-14-2009 at 12:53 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 06-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Gentle Giant

Well done Deki, a very good posting with clear explanation about BYB & Puppy/Kitty Mill, lets hope ppl are able to learn from it.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:32 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Deki is on a distinguished road

Don buy a dog fr a pet shp or breeder. Every time we purchase a pet, be it fish, cat or French Bulldog, wonderful creatures sit in a shelter, waiting to be put-down – or possibly worse yet, rot in a no-kill shelter for their whole lives without a family or proper care.

The demand for pure-bred designer puppies is so powerful dat breeders & puppy-mills that force dogs to spend their entire lives in cages constantly breeding hv bcum a serious problem. They continue to thrive bcoz they prey on unwitting consumers who fall for cute puppies in pet shp windows & on fancy websites.

According to a web reserch, there are approximately 4 million dogs & cats put to sleep each year due to pet overpopulation, how can we ethically purchase a dog when so many need to be rescued?

“Life is particularly bad for “breeding stock,” dogs who live their entire lives in cages & are continually bred for years, without human companionship & with little hope of ever becoming part of a family. These dogs receive little or no veterinary care & never see a bed, a treat or a toy. After their fertility wanes, breeding animals are commonly killed, abandoned or sold to another mill . The annual result of all this breeding is hundreds of thousands of puppies, many with behavior and/or health problems.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:32 AM
Animal Lover

Hunter is on a distinguished road

Increasing Demand for Pedigreed Dogs Leads to Inbreeding Magnifying Breed Defects

Man's Sad Friends

* Increasing demand for pedigreed dogs leads to inbreeding by dishonest breeders from a limited genepool
* Inbreeding magnifies inherent breed defects, eg. Pugs with enlarged hearts, Labradors with hip dysplasia, deaf Dalmatians
* Inbreeding also results in dogs with behavioural problems-neurotic, bad-tempered, nervous
* Such dogs are increasingly being abandoned by owners, and beginning to crowd animal rescue shelters

"How much is that doggie in the window?" you might ask, when you see a pedigreed pup training its velvety gaze on you at your neighbourhood pet-shop. But should you ask, instead, where he came from, you're unlikely to get as clear an answer. For it's quite likely he came from a BYB, where dozens of pups are cooped together in a squalid shed; undernourished, unvaccinated, and in the care of unscrupulous breeders who double up as self-taught vets. And it's a tribe that's increasing.

Most vet and animal rights groups agree, is because there's a glut of inbred pups being churned out from a small stock, and this limited genepool is magnifying and worsening the innate breed defects they are already born into.

Pugs, with their large, flat-nosed 'brachycephalic' heads are vulnerable to enlarged hearts, severe respiratory problems and heat stroke. Dachshunds' long backs, combined with the inadequate support provided by their stout little legs, make them prone to painful spinal problems. Dalmatians have a tendency towards deafness and kidney stones. The protuberant eyeballs of the Pekingese often pop out completely, and can leave them blind if they're not swiftly reinserted. Bulldogs are encumbered with body structures that make human interventions necessary for them to mate and to give birth. The droopily expressive eyes of Basset hounds are prone to eyesight problems. Many German Shepherds suffer from excessive bleeding due to the Von Willebrand Syndrome, a genetic defect in blood clotting. Inbreeding also leads to 'Cryptorchidism' or undescended testicles, which are prone to cancer, and breeders are being allowed to go on unchecked—since fake registration papers can be easily cobbled together for a nominal fee, for pups with unknown parentage.

For proof, look no further than those bowed legs on many Labradors. Ninety percent of them have weak back-legs. Legs curve inwards which is a tell-tale sign of inbreeding. There is also a disturbing, simultaneous rise in hip dysplasia. Another telltale sign of inbreeding, it's an incurable inherited condition afflicting larger dogs like German shepherds, Rottweilers and Labradors with weak, malformed hips that can ill support the weight of their hind legs. Since this condition can't be detected until the dogs are several months old, many a doting pet-owner is left to watch on with horror as their once-sprightly pup suddenly begins to scrabble and helplessly drag its hind legs along.

Since dogs have relatively short life-spans, such genetic defects can easily be excluded from the gene pool, merely by choosing not to breed dogs that carry this gene. Unfortunately, breeders continue incestuous "inline breeding", which they say will ensure "purebred" pedigreed dogs. And breeders—their eyes on bottomlines rather than bloodlines—continue to breed them. Often, diseases skip a generation, so breeders breed pups that are viable, but defective, since they carry this gene. This is why you see so many German Shepherds with hip dysplasia, and deaf Great Danes. Breeders sell puppies like vegetables, and nobody stops them for malpractice! Twenty years ago, most of the people got house-bred puppies from friends, and they did not have as many defects as you see now.

So, thanks to inbreeding, pedigreed dogs are stuck with a higher frequency of birth defects and congenital flaws, and their owners, with perpetual trips to the vet. People pay around RM3,000 & above for pedigreed pups, but they do not realise how much more they'll be paying for treatment every month. People who adopt stray dogs are not good business for vets—vets only see these dogs say once a year, when they come in for their vaccination.

Unfortunately, not many breeders or pet-shops inform prospective owners about any of these problems. And buyers, most of whom are more eager to be proud owners of "Rottie" and "Labras" than they are to look after a dog, are not happy to find themselves saddled with a defective product.

Which is why pedigreed dogs are increasingly found abandoned. Many, with slightly more solicitous owners, find themselves in shelters. So forget all the gushy hyperbole about luxurious dog shampoos, spa treatments, canine couture lines and the like. For an increasing number of pedigreed dogs, life is pretty beastly.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Puppet Master~

chemonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Cat View Post
Maybe you are one of the lucky ones who bought a cat from BYB that is healthy. What about others who bought sickly cats from BYB but have not come forward? I know for a fact that one of the forumers did buy a cat from a BYB and that cat died because of illness. And what did the BYB do? He just 'CUCI TANGAN'. Not all cats from BYB will be healthy as I said like you could be one of the lucky ones. E.g. Factory manufactoring goods.... maybe 1 out of the hundreds of items produced is faulty so its exactly the same like BYB. We don't know what sort of dieseases that the parents have or carry and it could be hedietary passed on to their kittens.

Memang betul apa you kata.... jaga kucing tu bukan sebab nak dan comel atau nak sebab jiran atau kawan pun ada. Lepas tak comel atau bunting terus buang. Having a pet is a life time commitment.
sori ek kak felix... saya bukan jenis beli kucing punya org.. kucing2 saya semua yg kutip dekat kedai makan dan juga kutip dgn kawan saya yang nak gi oversea...

satu lagi... mcm sillyuppie tu cakap... knp nak taruk price tag kat kucing???? sindiri mau pikir la beb.. byb ke breeder ke.. memasing letak harga kan??? kan kan kan sillyyuppie?...

**lariii laju laju supaya korang tak bleh kejar dah... hehehehe
Old 06-16-2009, 12:33 PM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemonk View Post
satu lagi... mcm sillyuppie tu cakap... knp nak taruk price tag kat kucing???? sindiri mau pikir la beb.. byb ke breeder ke.. memasing letak harga kan??? kan kan kan sillyyuppie?...

**lariii laju laju supaya korang tak bleh kejar dah... hehehehe
Chemonk, chemonk ...

You are the one tagging a cat like in cheap sale, your previous post sounded like, "If I got money, I can do whatever I like, without even thinking if it is unethical?" Tak betul la macam tu beb...

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com