Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Animal Organizations & Societies

Old 03-18-2009, 11:11 PM
Kate

tiggerroo is on a distinguished road
Default A No-Kill Animal Shelter

I am interested in starting a no-kill animal shelter with a mission of saving mistreated, abused, abandoned, neglected and stray cats and dogs. The ideal would be if these animals could be re-homed, but if they are not, they will be able to live out their natural lives at the shelter.

The shelter will most likely be located in PJ and will house roughly 100-200 pets. This shelter will be a non-profiting organization and will function on the charity and donations made. There will be a few permanent paid staff who will live at the shelter and take care of the animals full time, but there will also be volunteers who come in on a regular basis to socialize with, exercise and give their love to the pets.

I want there to be a shelter for all the unwanted animals that gives the animals a good home and a decent chance at life. My plan for the shelter is about 100-200 individual spaces for each animal measuring roughly 1.5m x 1.5m (at the least) with at least half an acre of fenced land where the dogs can run free and play and have fun!

Funds will be raised through Animal Fun Days held will all proceeds going towards the shelter. A Fun Day will basically just be a day out at a park or at the beach where you bring your dog to meet other dogs and dog owners and you have a picnic lunch where you can buy food at stalls (for you and your dog!) as well as participate in friendly dog-related competitions. Basically just a day of fun for you and your dog!

I have managed to raise enough pledges to get us started. There should be a sufficient amount to buy the required land, and build the shelter. What I am asking is if you think this is a good idea that can be sustained and if there are any people interested with experience in running shelters and kennels who have any feedback. Also if there are people willing to volunteer. It will take some time as the shelter will have to be built and all the legal permits applied for. In the meantime, more fundraising activities can be held to go towards this cause.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:46 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Re: A No-Kill Animal Shelter

Do you have own capital starting this no-kill animal shelter? you might interest The Langkawi Animal Shelter. http://www.langkawilassie.org.my/aboutus.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerroo View Post
I am interested in starting a no-kill animal shelter with a mission of saving mistreated, abused, abandoned, neglected and stray cats and dogs. The ideal would be if these animals could be re-homed, but if they are not, they will be able to live out their natural lives at the shelter.

The shelter will most likely be located in PJ and will house roughly 100-200 pets. This shelter will be a non-profiting organization and will function on the charity and donations made. There will be a few permanent paid staff who will live at the shelter and take care of the animals full time, but there will also be volunteers who come in on a regular basis to socialize with, exercise and give their love to the pets.

I want there to be a shelter for all the unwanted animals that gives the animals a good home and a decent chance at life. My plan for the shelter is about 100-200 individual spaces for each animal measuring roughly 1.5m x 1.5m (at the least) with at least half an acre of fenced land where the dogs can run free and play and have fun!

Funds will be raised through Animal Fun Days held will all proceeds going towards the shelter. A Fun Day will basically just be a day out at a park or at the beach where you bring your dog to meet other dogs and dog owners and you have a picnic lunch where you can buy food at stalls (for you and your dog!) as well as participate in friendly dog-related competitions. Basically just a day of fun for you and your dog!

I have managed to raise enough pledges to get us started. There should be a sufficient amount to buy the required land, and build the shelter. What I am asking is if you think this is a good idea that can be sustained and if there are any people interested with experience in running shelters and kennels who have any feedback. Also if there are people willing to volunteer. It will take some time as the shelter will have to be built and all the legal permits applied for. In the meantime, more fundraising activities can be held to go towards this cause.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:06 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

hi,
i'm interested in helping and volunteering. please let me know when you take your next steps.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:14 AM
PetFinder Guru

daphne1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to daphne1985

Quote:

Hi tiggerroo, Wow~~ I was so happy to noe the news, I'm interested to work as a volunteer for ur shelter but I do not have own transport to go PJ, do u provide any transport service for ur worker or volunteer?..

Hope to hear from u

Daphne
Old 03-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

tigerroo,
that is a very noble task u are undertaking.

wishing u success in all your endeavours, be it to raise funds, get suitable land, or anything else relevant towards making this dream of yours come true.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Tiggerroo, it is a noble aspiration.

Sabrina Yap did similar thing with Furry Friends Farm, but the shelter got filled up to the brim in the blink of an eye ... and poor Sabrina, every photo of her shows such exhausion on the face.

That is why locally, TNR needs to be pursued more aggressively to reduce the stray multiplication and all residents community committees need to be persuaded (or intimidated, hehhehh!!) to participate in TNR for all the strays in their areas instead of just complaining and doing nothing except call the local authorities to catch/shoot the strays or dumping them somewhere else so that it becomes somebody else's problem and not theirs.

And the SPCA needs to have education programs for the residents community committees and all public areas like pasar, shopping complexes like they do in Hong Kong.

They cannot just give talks in schools because it is the parents and adults that commit the crime and forbid their children from cultivating a love for the animals.

I recently quoted the true example where a kid proudly and happily rescued and took home some weeks old kittens that haven't even opened their eyes from a garbage dump and the parents scolded him for his apparent foolishness, took away the kittens and left them to die amidst heavy rain at some roadside in the middle of the night.

It is the adults that need to be addressed and educated.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 09-18-2009, 12:51 PM
PetFinder Buddy

moggies is on a distinguished road

*applause*

count me in!

www.moggiesplace.blogspot.com
Old 09-19-2009, 06:24 AM
PetFinder Guru

nivek is on a distinguished road

All the best to you. Great job! :)
Old 09-20-2009, 08:39 AM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road

:) Good luck!!
Keep us posted!
Like Blackie said, it is a very noble plan indeed!

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com
Old 09-25-2009, 02:03 PM
PetFinder Guru

mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Count me in... please. Even if i am with SPCA, i am willing to volunteer for your cause. Am for the animals... u think we could work together? Please, for the animals sake.

Respect...

...THE DAY I KNOW THE MEANING OF TRUE LOVE, LOYALTY, TRUST AND FRIENDSHIP...
...TIGER IN MEMORY...

Last edited by mrsdolittle; 09-25-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:04 PM
~feline attaché

nurkasih is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I may be far but I can help in anyway I can.. With one condition of mine...No euthanasia and obviously no kill.. then you can count me in..

Buat mana yang termampu ..

I really admire Bubushelter http://bubushelter.blogspot.com/ ( small population yet good results..with good reputation of adoption rate).. and also not to mention GRaSS of this Penang Island... Heard one of cats-only in Johor..
Old 09-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Animal Lover

rna87 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to rna87

Thanks Nur Kasih for spreding about Bubu's Shelter.

I'm happy to know that there're more non-killing shelter in Malaysia.

Having paid staff living in the shelter I think is not healthy (based on my experience). Maybe you mean by having staff quarters nearby the shelter. Individual spaces 1.5m x 1.5m? meaning like a cage for them isit? I saw there's this one lady in U.S, she let those cats roam freely on land. Just wanna share with you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwM6f0liHpo . Think it's cheaper if cats/dogs are roam freely. First you train dogs/cats to poo n pee in toilet area (where there's litter box etc). Then, when they pass those training, you can let them roam free. Less smell, easier to work. Don't have to go each and every cage to clean their toilet.

What Furkid say is true. People always lepas tangan.. If can't jaga, send to shelter or dump at the wetmarket. Some rescue from the street, bila tidak larat jaga or their behavior cant be tolerate anymore, they'll send to shelter (because abandoning them back to the street is bad). In a blink of an eye, you're shelter will be full. So, if can do aggressive T-N-R, educate & teach people about their behavior and have trainer a.k.a animal behaviorist will be great.

How bout if animals in your shelter get sick? It's expensive to treat them. I think thats why SPCA euthanize once animals get sick. Maybe you can make business. The profit is your source of money to treat those sick animals.

Just my 2cents.. correct me if I'm wrong
Old 09-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

The kill shelters kill not only the old, terminally sick and injured animals, they kill almost ALL of the young, healthy and non-injured, even vaccinated and neutered, citing lack of space and $$.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 09-28-2009, 05:01 PM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
The kill shelters kill not only the old, terminally sick and injured animals, they kill almost ALL of the young, healthy and non-injured, even vaccinated and neutered, citing lack of space and $$.
Makes me prefer the best option so far.. Catch~neuter~release.. human will be human after all... Let the nature takes its place... That's the best so far...
Old 09-28-2009, 08:43 PM
PetFinder Guru

mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road

Dear Andy and Ezer,

I notice my post which was not defaming any other organization or anyone has been removed from this forum... may i know why?

All it was... written in Bahasa Kebangsaan Malaysia and some Arabic which only gave the meaning of: PEACE BE UPON YOU, AMEN and MAY GOD LEAD US HUMAN TO HELP THE REST OF THE CREATURES.

Other than that was: TO MAKE THE HUMAN REALIZE BY CONDEMNING AND BELITTLING SPCA IS NOT A WAY TO SOLVE THE STRAYS OVER POPULATION PROBLEM... IT WAS REALLY SIMPLE AND STRAIGHT FORWARD WHICH WAS ALSO A WAY TO EDUCATE THE PEOPLE TO NOT JUST TALK BUT TO TAKE ACTIONS...

If the whole of Selangor and Wilayah populations had been responsible enough to save or HELP the animals no matter where they are, there won't be any problems... If most people are responsible enough to have common sense to neuter their pets... there will not be an over population problem.

How do some people know or do not know what we are doing in educating who, where and how? How do they also know WHAT ARE THE statistics of adoptions and surrenders FOR THIS YEAR? Were they there to know or to see what had been done so far? Must we make a big huuuu haaaaa about the things we are doing in order to save as much sheltered animal lives... What do they know about what had been done to stop PTS in the shelter... What do they know?

Tell me one thing... are we (SPCA) responsible for those irresponsible people who simply dump the animals at our dumpsters and entrance almost every single day? Not 1 but hundreds of them in a month. Why do they do this? Its because SPCA do no want to accept anymore animals. Do you people know that? WHEN THE DUMPING STOPS THE "SO CALL KILLING" STOPS. Its easier to point finger or fingersssssss...

Thats why i am still with SPCA... BE THERE AND RESCUE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE... Take the animals in and re home ourselves. Call up our friends and foster the poor creatures, from there they will try to find home for them. What do you people know about this? We are all human and we are not GOD. I challenge all of forumers to come forward and do this. I do not want to hear I DO NOT SUPPORT SPCA BECAUSE ITS A KILL SHELTER.

BY NOT HELPING THE ANIMALS IN ANY OF THE SHELTER WILL ALSO MAKE ALL OF US THE REAL KILLER...

We are not sitting down and warming our arses on the chair... excuse my language... all the people must made known that they are committed and responsible towards other lives created by GOD. Again, i am going to say: WE HAVE TAKEN SO MUCH FROM THIS WORLD, WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GIVE... give love and happiness to other living being which is also part of this worldly world. And please, live IN THE NOW... why must live in the past... how do they even know what kind of improvement had been made so far...

Dearest Andy and Ezer,

Do not delete this thread, please. All must made known about the importance of living in the now. For those who want to live in the past, the choice is yours... the only thing i can say for those who do this is... GROW UP...

Thats the reason in the deleted thread, i ask for the forumers to post their addresses and contact numbers in PF so I will PERSONALLY MAKE SURE MORE LIVES CAN BE SAVED BY SENDING THE ANIMALS TO THESE PEOPLE HOUSES FOR FREE... Talk is cheap... Actions speak louder than words...

This world are meant to be shared with all and not only ME, ME, ME....

ASK OURSELVES...WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME ANYONE OF US OUT THERE TOOK THE EFFORT TO RE HOME THE STRAYS...

...THE DAY I KNOW THE MEANING OF TRUE LOVE, LOYALTY, TRUST AND FRIENDSHIP...
...TIGER IN MEMORY...

Last edited by mrsdolittle; 09-29-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:52 PM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by rna87 View Post
Thanks Nur Kasih for spreding about Bubu's Shelter.

I'm happy to know that there're more non-killing shelter in Malaysia.

Having paid staff living in the shelter I think is not healthy (based on my experience). Maybe you mean by having staff quarters nearby the shelter. Individual spaces 1.5m x 1.5m? meaning like a cage for them isit? I saw there's this one lady in U.S, she let those cats roam freely on land. Just wanna share with you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwM6f0liHpo . Think it's cheaper if cats/dogs are roam freely. First you train dogs/cats to poo n pee in toilet area (where there's litter box etc). Then, when they pass those training, you can let them roam free. Less smell, easier to work. Don't have to go each and every cage to clean their toilet.

What Furkid say is true. People always lepas tangan.. If can't jaga, send to shelter or dump at the wetmarket. Some rescue from the street, bila tidak larat jaga or their behavior cant be tolerate anymore, they'll send to shelter (because abandoning them back to the street is bad). In a blink of an eye, you're shelter will be full. So, if can do aggressive T-N-R, educate & teach people about their behavior and have trainer a.k.a animal behaviorist will be great.

How bout if animals in your shelter get sick? It's expensive to treat them. I think thats why SPCA euthanize once animals get sick. Maybe you can make business. The profit is your source of money to treat those sick animals.

Just my 2cents.. correct me if I'm wrong
Got another one I always follow in blogspot..www.animalcare.org and http://crizcats.blogspot.com/ Happy to read all the good news portrayed and see the photos of the adopters.. Chan Kah Yein wrote about the pet~people read~People adopt... Nice~~ The rescuer happy, the new adopter happy~and the donors happy~~

Tiggeroo,

With such a noble intention..may God bless you.. Know your capability , do the best you can as we cannot take over the world..whatever happens in the world is in the God's Will. We, human, with limitations are not expected to be God, but to carry out God's duty..with the best will in the world..

Last edited by nurkasih; 09-28-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Animal Lover

mandychee is on a distinguished road

It good to hear someone like you are interested in staring an animal shelter, in malaysia the authorities are useless (mind you, it's true). The world need more people like you. If u need my help, i'll be glad to help out!! Currently, there are a handful of people like you e.g chan kah yein (myanimalcare.org), Sabrina yeap (furryfriendsfarm.org) and wani (malaysiandogsdeservebetter.blogspot.com). So i hope all the animal lovers out there will come together in full force and help out. Kudos to you!! Pls keep us posted. Cheers!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Animal Lover

Moms Animal Haven is on a distinguished road

Sorry im new to all this. first thing, my name is Jenny. I live in Monterey, La.I have been wanting to start my own animal shelter for large and small animals. I've found that there very good dogs,cats, and horses, that are veryloving, and willing to learn, just to make the owner love them. but in most cases its the owner that does not know how to handle or treat and animal the correct way. or they dont realize what there getting into when they getone. Or they get the puppy or kitten thinking its gonna be easy to take care of. and you got somereality setting in, and they realize they cant handle that responsibilty. So what they do is dump them out somewhere to fend for themself. and in most cases they get hit by cars, or starve to death b/c they dont know how to hunt for there own food. And then ov course there are the times when people like us cant stand to see this happen to the animal, and we pick it up.
no the talk about kill-shelters i am definatlly against. But i do belive in humanly euthinizing some animals. if they have no chance in surving, if they are suffering, or whats wrong with them cant be fixed by meds or vets.
Yes going to a vet is expencive but some will help if they see the same as us.
As for all the comments about the aspca and the humane society. I think there only doing what they can, or how there policies are written. Yes im sure that there are alot of things they could change, and do differntly, but that all takes time. and alot more money. we all have things to change. But hey arnt we all hear for the same reason. Instead of putting other organizATIONS down we need to figure out a way to work together.
OK, sorry i got long winded. I just wanted to comment on everything.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Vivien Wuz Ere

Location: Earth - where every human beings have to live together with animals
vivienlpl is on a distinguished road

good subject...good objective.....way to start........

yeah IF only ppl would like you....then we live in a better world.....

every living thing should be given a chance to live...

all the best to you....... as long as you motivated to do it.. DO IT and you have our support... !
Old 12-26-2011, 06:15 AM
Animal Lover

jason_loh is on a distinguished road

Can i know where did you locate your shelter at, if you have indeed opened one? :)