Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 12-11-2011, 04:55 PM
PetFinder Guru

Meffy is on a distinguished road
Default Earmites? How to check?

Sometimes, I see my kitten scratching her ears and face. I have told the vet before and he applied Frontline Spot-On inside the ear. He told me it will take care of the ear mites.

It's now 2nd month and I still see her doing that. I ask the vet again. He used the ear scope to check and said her ears are clean and there are no ear mites.

So why is she still scratching her ears and face? There is black dirt inside her ears sometimes. Is the vet telling the truth? Is it fleas (again)?

What medication can I use if it's earmites?
Old 12-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Earmites? How to check?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meffy View Post
Sometimes, I see my kitten scratching her ears and face. I have told the vet before and he applied Frontline Spot-On inside the ear. He told me it will take care of the ear mites.

It's now 2nd month and I still see her doing that. I ask the vet again. He used the ear scope to check and said her ears are clean and there are no ear mites.

So why is she still scratching her ears and face? There is black dirt inside her ears sometimes. Is the vet telling the truth? Is it fleas (again)?

What medication can I use if it's earmites?
Hi, Meffy --

Hmmm. I can only share with you my experience with Dr. Prem at the Gasing Clinic. When I first adopted Maneki, he used a cotton bud to swab out her ears. The cotton came out covered with black stuff and some blood. "Ear mites!" he proclaimed. He cleaned out both ears thoroughly, using about 3 swabs each and then gave me a bottle of ear drops. Unfortunately I no longer remember the name, but I know it wasn't Frontline. He told me to apply a couple of drops into each ear canal each day, and then a few minutes later, a good swabbing with cotton buds to clean out the loosened dirt and mites. The bottle had a long, pointy dropper, so it went deep into the ear canal.

I took her back in a couple of weeks for her booster vaccinations, and he once more swabbed loads of black goop out of her ears. He gave me a good, stern lecture about being an incompetent ear-cleaner.

I admitted that I was very timid, afraid I might push the swab too far into her ear canal. He assured me that a cat's ear canal takes a right-angle turn about 3-4 cm in, so there is no possibility of, for example, puncturing her eardrum. One of his colleagues later told me that you need to get the ears totally clean of mites. Then they should stay relatively clean for at least a month or so -- if you see more black slime on the cotton bud in a couple of days, you haven't gotten rid of the mites. And, by the way, if the vet hands the scope over to you, you can see for yourself whether or not there are earmites. They show up quite clearly.

How long ago did the vet use the scope to examine your cat's ears? Is there blackish dried blood on the swab when you clean the ears now, or just brown dirty stuff?

I'm really sorry, I don't remember the name of the ear-drops I used, only that they were a daily thing, and I used them for a few weeks. No problem since. I hope other members will speak up and give some advice, too! :-)
Old 12-11-2011, 09:01 PM
PetFinder Guru

He checked her on 1st December which is about 11 days ago. I didn't believe what he said because I read that the dirt in her ear is due to earmites. He said it's just dirt and nothing to worry about. He didn't even clean her ears!

I'm beginning to have doubts about this vet. Maybe I should go to a different one.

I'm too afraid to use a cotton swab cuz I don't know about cat's ears. Like you said, I'm afraid I might go too deep.

By the way, do your cats scratch themselves if they have no fleas? If they scratch, that means they still have fleas right?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Hmmm. Yes, I think if I were you, I would try a different vet. Where do you stay? Other members have recommended a number of vets in different parts of the Klang Valley -- maybe we can find another one for you.

I think cats will always scratch from time to time, just as we do. It doesn't necessarily mean they have fleas. (But when you're worried about fleas, it does seem that the cat is scratching all the time, doesn't it? :-) That would be another question to ask a different vet. I think a lot of clinic have flea combs that they can use to run through the cat's fur and see if any fleas come out. You can also buy flea combs at pet supply shops, if you're interested. From what I've read, they're not a great solution for removing fleas -- your spot-on treatment is more effective at prevention and control -- but the comb might at least convince you that the spot-on is working. Good luck!

Quote:
He checked her on 1st December which is about 11 days ago. I didn't believe what he said because I read that the dirt in her ear is due to earmites. He said it's just dirt and nothing to worry about. He didn't even clean her ears!

I'm beginning to have doubts about this vet. Maybe I should go to a different one.

I'm too afraid to use a cotton swab cuz I don't know about cat's ears. Like you said, I'm afraid I might go too deep.

By the way, do your cats scratch themselves if they have no fleas? If they scratch, that means they still have fleas right?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:45 AM
PetFinder Buddy

milocute is on a distinguished road

Hi Meffy,

One of our Johorean ( Yan) had the same problem quite some time ago. She went to Permas Animal Clinic ( Dr. Foo) for the ear mites problem and he really solved the problem. Why don't you give a try. Good Luck.

PS: If you scroll back the Johorean thread you can see that Yan had upload the photos of the microscope slide of her cat's ear mites and the medication that Dr. Foo applied to Yan's cheezy. Sorry for not able to attach the post to this thread as i'm not an IT person
Old 12-12-2011, 04:34 PM
PetFinder Guru

I'm from Johor :) I'll check out the Johorean thread.

As for the flea comb, you see, I'm have a phobia of fleas since the problem I faced last month. Had over 40 flea bites on my legs and arms so now I'm afraid to hold my kitty for too long because I don't want to be bitten again. I know it's terrible to be acting like this but I'm already badlys scarred Each time I give her a bath, I end up getting a few bites on me. So I'm being extra careful by vacuuming everyday.

I remember you said you used Advantage (or was it Revolution?) How much is it and where did you buy it? I heard it's better than Frontline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Hmmm. Yes, I think if I were you, I would try a different vet. Where do you stay? Other members have recommended a number of vets in different parts of the Klang Valley -- maybe we can find another one for you.

I think cats will always scratch from time to time, just as we do. It doesn't necessarily mean they have fleas. (But when you're worried about fleas, it does seem that the cat is scratching all the time, doesn't it? :-) That would be another question to ask a different vet. I think a lot of clinic have flea combs that they can use to run through the cat's fur and see if any fleas come out. You can also buy flea combs at pet supply shops, if you're interested. From what I've read, they're not a great solution for removing fleas -- your spot-on treatment is more effective at prevention and control -- but the comb might at least convince you that the spot-on is working. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:37 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hi,

I will try Dr Foo clinic after this. My friend also told me he's good.

Haha...takpe...saya faham. Saya sendiri pun tak tahu nak buat
Quote:
Originally Posted by milocute View Post
Hi Meffy,

One of our Johorean ( Yan) had the same problem quite some time ago. She went to Permas Animal Clinic ( Dr. Foo) for the ear mites problem and he really solved the problem. Why don't you give a try. Good Luck.

PS: If you scroll back the Johorean thread you can see that Yan had upload the photos of the microscope slide of her cat's ear mites and the medication that Dr. Foo applied to Yan's cheezy. Sorry for not able to attach the post to this thread as i'm not an IT person
Old 12-13-2011, 09:20 AM
PetFinder Guru

x-rulez is on a distinguished road

Quote:

How long ago did the vet use the scope to examine your cat's ears? Is there blackish dried blood on the swab when you clean the ears now, or just brown dirty stuff?
hi maneki, when u said 'just brown dirty stuff'...is it means that the cat don't have earmites?and it just dirt?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-rulez View Post
hi maneki, when u said 'just brown dirty stuff'...is it means that the cat don't have earmites?and it just dirt?
Hi, x-rules! Please bear in mind, I'm not a vet, but when I first adopted Maneki, the vet said she definitely had ear mites. He showed them to me through the ear scope. At that time, the ear bud was coming out with really black stuff on it.

I clean her ears about once a month or so now, and the stuff is brown. A medium coklat colour. When the vet swabbed her ears at her last regular check-up, she said that yes, it's just normal ear dirt.

My other cat, Crumpet, has perfectly clean ears. The swabs come out looking just as they did before they went in. I can't explain it. They're both indoor cats, but one of them just seems to have dirtier ears than the other. One of life's mysteries, I suppose.

I think if you're concerned that your cat might have ear mites, a vet with an ear scope is probably the best way to get a sure answer. :-)
Old 12-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:

I remember you said you used Advantage (or was it Revolution?) How much is it and where did you buy it? I heard it's better than Frontline.
Hi, Meffy --

Yes, I've been using Advantage, and it seems to be doing a good job.

One package comes with 4 vials, and you use 1 vial per month.

I've bought it at Home Pet & Food which is in Sri Petaling, and I've also bought it at my local vet clinic, but since you're in Johor, those aren't convenient for you. I paid RM42-RM48 for it.

I noticed, though, that Petfinder member Felix the Cat is selling Advantage for RM36 per box, which is a good price, even if you have to add on a few ringgit for shipping. http://forums.petfinder.my/showthrea...ight=Advantage
Old 12-13-2011, 11:10 AM
PetFinder Guru

x-rulez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi, x-rules! Please bear in mind, I'm not a vet, but when I first adopted Maneki, the vet said she definitely had ear mites. He showed them to me through the ear scope. At that time, the ear bud was coming out with really black stuff on it.

I clean her ears about once a month or so now, and the stuff is brown. A medium coklat colour. When the vet swabbed her ears at her last regular check-up, she said that yes, it's just normal ear dirt.

My other cat, Crumpet, has perfectly clean ears. The swabs come out looking just as they did before they went in. I can't explain it. They're both indoor cats, but one of them just seems to have dirtier ears than the other. One of life's mysteries, I suppose.

I think if you're concerned that your cat might have ear mites, a vet with an ear scope is probably the best way to get a sure answer. :-)
Hi Maneki....thanx for your explanation....i think my cat facing the same problem with your cat maneki.....he is indoor cat but always having dirty ears even after having several visits to vet for earmite treatment....

and i agree with your advise to get another vet with an ear scope...
Old 12-15-2011, 10:34 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko;98795
I noticed, though, that Petfinder member Felix the Cat is selling Advantage for RM36 per box, which is a good price, even if you have to add on a few ringgit for shipping. [URL="http://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=5497&highlight=Advantage"
http://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=5497&highlight=Advantage[/URL]
Hi,

I asked her and she said she's not selling anymore due to low demand. Could I buy a pipette from you just to try out? I'll pay for postage of course.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:02 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Hi,

I asked her and she said she's not selling anymore due to low demand. Could I buy a pipette from you just to try out? I'll pay for postage of course.
Oh, rats! I'm sorry to hear that, because I was looking forward to buying my next supply from Nurul. I guess we're all too late expressing our interest.

I don't have any in the house at the moment, Meffy, but I'll see if the pet supply shop will sell me a single vial when I re-stock. There are 4 vials per box. If I had only 1 cat, I would gladly send you a vial from my box, but with 2 cats, I need that even number. I'll buy the next box by the end of December & will let you know if they've let me have a vial to send your way, ok? :-)
Old 12-16-2011, 02:22 PM
PetFinder Guru

Sounds good. Thanks a lot