Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 12-23-2011, 01:19 PM
PetFinder Guru

Meffy is on a distinguished road
Default Cat being fussy

Hi,

For this entire week, my 3 month old kitten is being a fussy eater. I didn't change her food. It's still the same thing she's been eating since I took her in 3 months ago. Just suddenly, she's turning her nose up at her Whiskas. She'll take one bite and walk away but will eat it later cuz she's hungry. She's eating the dry RC that I leave out for her.

Is she bored of the fish flavor?

Last weekend I gave her some boiled chicken as a treat and she loved it. I can't give her that everyday. It's not convenient for me.

Any ideas? Can I stop feeding her wet food? Wet food is not fresh when she doesn't eat immediately. I'm planning to give her dry only and wet food maybe once a week.

My kitten is healthy and active. No signs of sickness.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:27 PM
PetFinder Guru

Rayquaza17 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cat being fussy

Hmm..would you like it if I feed you biscuit everyday? Of course they will be thinking the same. You can slowly change the wet food slowly to dry food. A small portion bits by bits. Then until it changes to the RC dry food only. Cats are normal fussy eaters so its okay. Of course, some its not fussy eaters like my cat, who doesn't mind the same food everyday 365 days.

And its not good to feed boiled chicken everyday so it's okay if you don't do it always.
Anything else?
Old 12-23-2011, 02:41 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hi Rayquaza,

I don't know why suddenly she's like that. All the while she's been eating like that and suddenly don't want to eat. Maybe just one of her moods.

What do you feed your cats?
Old 12-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Hi, Meffy --

There are a lot of opinions out there about the best foods to feed your cat. Many believe that a raw diet is the best; others speak up for home-cooked meals. If you choose either of these, you at least know what is going into your cat's stomach, but they both require effort on your part -- you need to buy and prepare the ingredients and ensure that they are nutritionally complete and fully-balanced.

Most people would agree that the next best option is to feed mostly a high-quality wet food, such as Addiction, Eagle Pack, Natural Balance, or GO. These are all nutritionally complete and balanced, have no additives, no grains, etc.

The next best option would be a high-quality biscuit. What makes it high quality? No grains, no by-products, artificial colours, etc. Examples: Addiction, Orijen, Acana, Feline Caviar, etc.

Petfinder member Sharon the Paw shared a lot of good info on cat foods on one of her pet listings, and I recommend reading that and following some of her links: http://www.petfinder.my/pets/24316/

Basically, your cat gets NO nutritional value whatever from corn/maize, oats, soymeal or any other kind of grain, and studies suggest that high grain content in many foods cause liver failure later in life. Something else to think about: Yes, the premium and holistic foods do cost more. Your cat, however, will eat less of them, because she is getting more nutrition from each bite. Not only will she eat less, she will poo less, because her body is absorbing more of the food, excreting less of it. Finally, you'll have a healthier cat, with fewer vet bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meffy View Post
Hi,

For this entire week, my 3 month old kitten is being a fussy eater. I didn't change her food. It's still the same thing she's been eating since I took her in 3 months ago. Just suddenly, she's turning her nose up at her Whiskas. She'll take one bite and walk away but will eat it later cuz she's hungry. She's eating the dry RC that I leave out for her.

Is she bored of the fish flavor?

Last weekend I gave her some boiled chicken as a treat and she loved it. I can't give her that everyday. It's not convenient for me.

Any ideas? Can I stop feeding her wet food? Wet food is not fresh when she doesn't eat immediately. I'm planning to give her dry only and wet food maybe once a week.

My kitten is healthy and active. No signs of sickness.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:34 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Something else to think about: Yes, the premium and holistic foods do cost more. Your cat, however, will eat less of them, because she is getting more nutrition from each bite. Not only will she eat less, she will poo less, because her body is absorbing more of the food, excreting less of it. Finally, you'll have a healthier cat, with fewer vet bills.
Hi Maneki,

The poo is also another thing. She seems to poop a lot...like big ones twice a day. I clean the litter box everyday but there's always something there the next morning >__>

I'll try to check the petshops in JB for these brands. What are the price range? I bought 1kg repack RC kitten for RM25, last me 1 month plus. Are those brands within this range? I can't afford anything higher.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Meffy,

Look for the Feline Caviar. Of the holistic biscuit brands, that's the most affordable.

Here is their web site: http://www.caninecaviar.com/index.ph...id=1&Itemid=38

I think it will fall into the same price range as the RC re-pack you're buying now, and it's grain-free (which the RC is not). Again, I know the cost is alarming, but consider that your kitty will probably eat less of these grain-free foods. So yes, you'll spend more up-front, but a packet of the same size may last significantly longer. And no, I'm not a cat food salesman! I just want your cat to live a long, happy, healthy life!

Quote:
Hi Maneki,

The poo is also another thing. She seems to poop a lot...like big ones twice a day. I clean the litter box everyday but there's always something there the next morning >__>

I'll try to check the petshops in JB for these brands. What are the price range? I bought 1kg repack RC kitten for RM25, last me 1 month plus. Are those brands within this range? I can't afford anything higher.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:00 AM
PetFinder Guru

Rayquaza17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi Rayquaza,

I don't know why suddenly she's like that. All the while she's been eating like that and suddenly don't want to eat. Maybe just one of her moods.

What do you feed your cats?
Me? I feed my mixed persian cat Tesco brand, Smart Heart, Whiskas, Friskies, RC, and all kind diffrent dry food. She doesn't mind any changes except she hate Snappy Tom the most.

My Maine Coon eat only premium one as it is requested by the rescuer. She eat Blackwood+ ANF, slowly changing to Blackwood only.