Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Training & Behavioral Issues

Training & Behavioral Issues Does your cat have an attitude, or just simply refuses to listen to you? Share it with your peers here and learn more about a cat's behavior and training methods

Old 11-26-2012, 01:10 PM
PetFinder Guru

Meffy is on a distinguished road
Default Cat is scratching furniture....

When I adopted my cat last year, I didn't have any major furniture. There was no sofa and I bought her a scratching post which she happily used. She also scratches the doormat sometimes but that's fine.

I just bought a sofa set 3 months ago and now my cat is using it as a scratching post! She's only uses her old scratching post when I'm looking because I would scold her if she touches the sofa. When I'm out of the room, I can hear her plucking the fabric of my sofa

How do I stop this from happening? I only manage to stop her from doing it when I'm around. Is there anything I can put on the sofa to keep her away?
Old 11-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cat is scratching furniture....

Hi, Meffy! There's a really wonderful book that I would recommend to any human living with a cat: Think Like a Cat, by Pam Johnson-Bennett.

In it, the author dedicates a whole chapter to the issue of claws and scratching. She says that cats will leave the furniture alone if they have something better to use as a scratching post, and I've found that to be true. What makes a good scratching post? It must be stable and tall or long enough to give the cat's back a good stretch. If a scratching post wobbles around or falls over, the cat won't use it. If it doesn't allow her to stretch her back and forelegs, she won't use it. Johnson-Bennett says the best thing is a pole or post covered with sisal rope. It's just what cats need to sink their claws into (to slough off the outer layer of claw). I made a sisal rope covered pole and propped it an an angle. My cats make a running leap onto the pole, sharpen their claws like demons, and then fly off it again, probably feeling like miniature tigers. The best news: since that pole went up, they have not sunk a single claw into my furniture. If your cat needs an extra reminder about that, I've heard that citrus-scented sprays will deter her. Evidently cats dislike citrus smells. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meffy View Post
When I adopted my cat last year, I didn't have any major furniture. There was no sofa and I bought her a scratching post which she happily used. She also scratches the doormat sometimes but that's fine.

I just bought a sofa set 3 months ago and now my cat is using it as a scratching post! She's only uses her old scratching post when I'm looking because I would scold her if she touches the sofa. When I'm out of the room, I can hear her plucking the fabric of my sofa

How do I stop this from happening? I only manage to stop her from doing it when I'm around. Is there anything I can put on the sofa to keep her away?
Old 11-26-2012, 10:41 PM
PetFinder Guru

Meffy is on a distinguished road

Hi Maneki,

Thanks for sharing. Her old scratching post has become too short for her since I bought it since she was a kitten. Even some of the ropes have fallen off. I guess that's why she started attacking my furniture.

I have quite a long cardboard cylinder (one used for storing posters..etc) which I'm planning to turn into her new scratching post. But I'm having trouble finding sisal rope here. I've checked many hardware stores in town but none of them have it. What they have is the thicker, rougher type which is too stiff to bend.

Any ideas where I can find some? I'll even pay the postage.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:12 PM
PetFinder Guru

Rayquaza17 is on a distinguished road

Or if they ever touch your furniture, you could spray some lemon in it so they won't come close. Or so I've heard. I never tried it before but some says its use to be useful.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:33 AM
Animal Lover

IzzatAmir318 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meffy View Post

[KEPADA PENCINTA SI COMEL BULUS]

Si Kucing Anda suka Mencakar Sofa dan Langsir…?

Meow Meow Anda Aktif dan Suka Bermain..?

Anda Penat untuk bermain dengan Bulus Gebu anda selepas pulang bekerja…?

[ANDA WAJIB MENONTON VIDEO INI..!!!!]

Picit link VIDEO ini cepaattttt…---- > https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=738523019555010

--------------------
CAT’S MEOW.. :D
--------------------

BerMinat…?
==========
HUBUNGI saya dengan SEGERA di

>PM SAYA <

WHATSAPP ke > 019 - 512 8583 <
@
SMS saya ke > 011 - 2258 2598 <

========

p/s : PM dan CONTACT saya SEGERA..!!! kerana STOK adalah TERHAD. Hanya tinggal 78 stok CAT’S MEOW dengan kami..

CEPAT BERTINDAK..!!! untuk Menjadi Pemilik CAT’S MEOW bagi melihat SI COMEL anda KERIANGAN dengan CAT’S MEOW.. :) ..

&

p/s : PM dan CONTACT saya SEGERA untuk TAWARAN DISKAUN + FREE POSTAGE + FREE GIFT untuk Pelanggan Terawal… ;)