Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > PetFinder Lounge > Coffee Room

Coffee Room Gossip on the latest topics or just mingle around and enjoy the atmosphere!

Old 05-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation
Default Old Folks Homes & Orphanages?

I've come across some dogs seeking adoption that are either disabled or just purely do not catch the attention of adopters - be it their looks, age or other reasons. I don't know what will happen to them if they do not find adopters soon - will they be euthanized, ill-treated, or just conveniently dumped into the streets?

Just an idea - why not give these dogs to Old Folks Homes and Orphanages? I'm sure the old people or kids would appreciate nice loving company from these dogs, and they wouldn't be as choosy as normal adopters. I believe what matters most to them is the companionship.

These poor neglected dogs would also receive some good care and attention, and would definitely bring some joy to these people. The kids in the orphanages would then learn to be animal lovers and how to responsibly take care of pets.

Of course, there are drawbacks like the cost and effort of taking care of the dog. However, I believe the cost is really not that high - the dog doesn't really need to live like a king and have the best dog food and treats - what matters is that it has a place to call home and get the love they deserve. And taking care of the dog can be a joint effort that is fun.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by AndyKoh; 05-02-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:12 PM
PetFinder Buddy

mw_pon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Old Folks Homes & Orphanages?

i think is good too....but lik u said da cost of owning a dog is not cheap....i think by bring dog to da old folks homes and orphanages just to play for a couple of hours will be nice lik 2 weeks one or one month once just to bring joy in their life...and da best part is they don need to bare the cost of da dog....and our dog can go out too....
Old 05-07-2008, 04:20 AM
PetFinder Guru

veanne is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to veanne

can be a good idea for those old folks that are with a good health... i have been to a lot of old folks house... they really need some companion... animals actually will light up their day... there is a 70 year old man, has a parrot... he teach the parrot so sing... and actually cheer up all those old folks that are staying there...

however... not all of the old folks are with a great health... there is one 65 year old grandma... love dogs so much... she has her dog living with her in the old folks house... but then due to he health, she couldn't take care of herself... how could she take care of her dog...?? the volunteer doesn't have much time to take care of the dog either... they have things to take care off... in the end, the 65 year old grandma have to let go of her dog that have been with her for 10 years... i can see tears coming out from her eyes... i can actually feel how she felt... where, his son dump her in the old folks house... where she had her only dog as her companion... and then have to be apart...
Old 07-02-2008, 09:39 PM
PetFinder Buddy

ChewChew1987 is on a distinguished road

I think recently there are some annoucement in newspaper asking for volunteer dogs to be brought to Old Folks Home/Orphanage. But there are certain stuffs we need to know before joining.

1. Not everyone like dogs.
2. Some people might be allergic to dog fur/saliva and not knowing it.
3. Dogs do not like all people, might attack.

My Baby pees when she sees alot of people . So when my neighbour ask me to join, i have to refuse. But bringing unwanted dogs there to foster is not a bad idea unless there are people willing to take care of the dogs and the cost. These non-profit organization is also very lack of funds.

If possible, i hope the dogs can work for the police or bomba department because they will be well treat as well. If only they will not look down on mongrel...